PDA

View Full Version : Pranks on First Timers?

DisneyOtaku
06-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Have you guys ever taken a first-timer on a trip with you and played a little with their minds about the park/certain rides?

This past December, I took a first timer with me (let me first add it was a group of three of us, and we're all grad students). We JUST got on Splash Mountain and came to the first little drop when my friend asked me "Is this the big one?"

We had just gotten on the ride and the large drop is the climax! So I gave him a funny look and said "Yes. Yes it is."

He BELIEVED me. He felt so dumb when he found out it wasn't the BIG drop! But the best part? I kept doing it and he KEPT believing me. My third friend (she was in the seat behind us) was laughing her head off. The gullible friend said he would stop listening to me until I told him "The Laughing Place" was it....which works, since it' is darker. He was holding on tight to the rail and when the drop was over, he just gave me a "I should hurt you" look.

It was really funny to keep psyching him out like that; so, I was wondering if you guys have any similar stories.

Piglet822
06-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I like to get people to taste the Beverly over at Ice Station Cool at Epcot. :D

SpecJoe Magic
06-03-2008, 11:38 AM
One of my favorite pranks to pull on first timers is to convince them that Beverly is a great flavor at Club Cool. The faces that they make when they realize that they have just been had are priceless. I know it's a little mean, but it's not often that one gets to share the joys of Beverly with a friend.:D

The planned backfired one time though. We convinced my wife's grandmother to try it on her first trip to WDW a few years ago, and she said that it wasn't too bad. She didn't even make a funny face. We were shocked to say the least.:jaw:

SpecJoe Magic
06-03-2008, 11:39 AM

Jeanne, you beat my post by mere seconds. :fresh:

magicofdisney
06-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I like to trick ppl on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Just before the short drop, I start saying, "Here it come, hold on..." a few times in a row. Then just before the drop, the kids and I start screaming our heads off. It's even more fun when others join in on the screaming then they realize the drop isn't so bad after all. :mickey:

TheAdventurer
06-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Heading to Dinosaur I told my friend it's a show with cute little AA dinosaurs singing pop hits like "Walk The Dinosaur."

Edit: ooo... this is my 800th post :)

CanadianWDWFan
06-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Jeanne, you and I must be of the same mind! :plot:

I am always trying to get complete strangers to try the Beverly out.

cinderellagrl
06-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Not my first trip, but my first experience with Space Mountain... I was/am terrified of heights, another above five feet high, and oh no! Well when I finally was tall enough to ride SM my parents convinced me it was a slow ride that talked about the planets..... last time I ever listened to them (well, it should have been, ha ha). I screamed the entire ride... poor guys behind us were plugging their ears the entire time!

disneydeb
06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Last October we took a friend of my DD that did not want to go on Splash, RnRC, ToT- you get the picture.

DD got her on Space Mountain (I don't know how) and she loved it! Go figure....:confused:

Capt. Sparrow
06-03-2008, 03:43 PM

This is priceless! I do the same thing! It cracks me up every time.

Another good one is taking them to the Comedy Club in PI and getting them to sit next to a phone (it may not ring, but if it does....good laughs)...:laughing:

avantgardeinker
06-03-2008, 04:26 PM

That is the best!! My 2 neices went last year for the first time. I wasn't there with them, but we told them to be sure and go to Ice Station Cool and that The Beverly was the best one. They of course called soon after tasting it and threatened to hurt us when they got back. It was awesome!!

:mickey:

AHOTE
06-03-2008, 04:29 PM
We were showing photos to friends from New York who had never been to WDW. They have never been amusement park types and we were hoping to show them that it was different at WDW. We had taken the pictures during one of the parades on Main Street just below the circle in front of Cinderella's Castle. Between the crowds and the floats my friend picked out an object in the background. It was the ornate top of one of the ice cream cart pavillions on the perimiter of the circle. He asked what it was and I told him it was the entrance to the subway linking the MK with other areas of the property. He seemed to accept it and it was never mentioned again until almost two years later when I got a surprised phone call. He was not amused. It seems they got to go to Florida on a business trip and they decided to try WDW for a couple of days before returning home. It was their last day there when my friend remembered the subway. I only wish I had been there to see the look on the cast members face :shrug: and his :jaw: when he asked for directions to the Subway. I'm now awaiting paybacks. :rotfl: :funny:

Polynesian Dweller
06-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Nothing quite beats the Beverly setup. Every year I can pull that one on someone whose new to the drink.:D Problem is, I've done that so frequently I've started to get a tolerance for it and it doesn't taste as bad to me. Not sure that's a good thing.;)

Imagineer1981
06-03-2008, 05:27 PM

HA HA...THATS WHAT I DO TOO!!!

Jasper
06-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Unfortunately almost everyone we know has been to WDW more than once so they are pretty up to date on what goes on down there. However that didn't stop me from being able to pull the Beverly trick on my wife.

Ice Station Cool was put in during the year that my oldest son was born. That meant that my wife wasn't able to keep up with new things like I was. So, while she knew about Ice Station Cool she didn't really know about Beverly. All I can tell you is that I still have the bruises on my arm to show you her reaction!:D:D

DISFREAKS
06-03-2008, 07:31 PM
We like to take newbies to 50's Prime Time. If you let the ladies at check in know you have a newbie with you, they'll usually set you up with a waitress that will play the Mom bit to the hilt.;)

Princess Maggie
06-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Like most everyone here I tricked my DH with Beverly :ack: at Epcot.

CU Tiger
06-03-2008, 09:55 PM
We talked my aunt to go on ToT and (believe it or not) she did not know about the drops. She left her seat during the first drop and you should have seen the look on her face.:haha: I still think she is trying to find a way to get us back for that one.:mickey:

PirateLover
06-03-2008, 10:25 PM
I got a few people with Beverly, but I'm such a bad prank puller that I can rarely keep a straight face and they start to figure out that something isn't quite right...

wdwnomad
06-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Last year a friend of mine joined us on our trip. She has been before but never said on site or never really ate in the sit down places. We thought it would be great if we went to Whispering Canyon and 50's Prime Time. Of course, we didn't tell her what these places were all about. When we went to WCC she was getting so mad at the waitress because she kept bumping her chair hard. All we did was laugh. She soon enough firgured it all out and thought it was a hoot. Then at the Prime Time she wondered why a guy was standing against the wall. She then said is this one of these places!!!! It was very funny. She got in trouble for not eating her vegatables. I guess I forgot to tell her that.

Also, anytime someone asks me where they should eat at Disney I always mention those two places. I say they are really good! When they come back they say did you know they do this? I guess it slipped my mind.

joonyer
06-04-2008, 01:05 PM
We got our friends good at the spitting camel in Adventureland on their first visit to MK.

bruin1344
06-04-2008, 01:13 PM
tell people sit in the front of splash mountain because you wont get wet

TheRustyScupper
06-04-2008, 01:30 PM
1) I detest people who play pranks on first timers, such as
. . . putting them in line for the spitting camel
. . . telling them the 3:00 parade is 3:00 at Towne Square
. . . letting them know that Tower of Terror is "just" an elevator ride
. . . showing them all the animatronic figures on the AK safari
. . . telling them Clinton is real in Hall of Presidents and is coming back
. . . getting them to look "very closely" at the Epcot living statues
2) And, I promise not to do (most of) them again.

xoHelloKittyox
06-04-2008, 02:37 PM
hahaha! I love all of these!
I do the beverly one all the time. I've been hit and yelled at from it, priceless!

I got my friend to get on TOT by telling her it was just like a walk through of an old haunted hotel. (She's scared of the dark and of heights!)

i miss disney
i need to take more noobies :thedolls:

Mrs Bus Driver
06-04-2008, 04:57 PM
I have never heard of the spitting camel, please tell me more. I have a trip with DD in Sept;)

IloveDisney71
06-04-2008, 05:06 PM
I like to trick ppl on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Just before the short drop, I start saying, "Here it come, hold on..." a few times in a row. Then just before the drop, the kids and I start screaming our heads off. It's even more fun when others join in on the screaming then they realize the drop isn't so bad after all. :mickey:

This is so funny - we do this too. We tell everyone to hold on tight, here it comes but we've never screamed. I might have to give that a try the next time we ride it.
I've also done the "Beverly" trick and the Splash Mountain drop trick. These usually give everyone a big laugh. :D

Kenny1113
06-04-2008, 07:13 PM
I got a few people with Beverly, but I'm such a bad prank puller that I can rarely keep a straight face and they start to figure out that something isn't quite right...

:ditto:
That's why on last trip with DH I gave a cup of Beverly to DS to give to DH to try :thedolls:. A couple of women saw what I was doing and gave me a smile. ;)

disneydeb
06-04-2008, 08:28 PM
I encourage everyone who has not tried Beverly to ty it. I didn't think it was bad at all.:thumbsup:

Mfarquar
06-05-2008, 12:23 AM
Some pranks I've enjoyed playing...

:) I went on a trip in '96 with my all-girls Catholic HS, and we were chaperoned by a group of nuns (who were young and fun - lucky for us!). They were very excited to be in WDW, as most had never been. We told our math teacher that Alien Encounter was a fun ride about cute little aliens. She bought it right up to the end of the Skippy part. Suffice to say, I've never heard a nun scream so much!

:) When I took my husband (then boyfriend) to WDW for the first time, he hadn't been to the parks since he was 6, and didn't remember much so he was essentially a newbie.

I made a reservation for the Sci-Fi Dine-In (he is a GIANT old car enthusiast and appreciates some vintage Sci-Fi as well). However, I didn't tell him anything about it and just told him it's a boring restaurant, but it was all we could get into. We waited for almost 20 mins. to be seated in the lobby, which looks like an unfinished backstage. He was fairly disappointed and a bit grumpy (he wanted to keep on checking out the rides). BOY WAS HE SURPRISED WHEN WE ENTERED!! It's now his favorite restaurant and insists we eat there every year!

:) We've also pulled the Beverly - the best trick in WDW! :)

CanadianWDWFan
06-05-2008, 08:10 AM
I have never heard of the spitting camel, please tell me more. I have a trip with DD in Sept;)
The Spitting Camels are part of The Magic Carpets of Aladdin in Adventureland. They stand around the ride and their heads move from side to side. Once and a while they will spit. Either at the riders or at folks walking by.

NASCARVW
06-05-2008, 12:54 PM

That's my favorite trick too!:thumbsup:

DisneyCouture
06-05-2008, 02:08 PM
In Sept of 06 DH, DBF, her BF and myself went to DHS. She has never ridden on RnR before. She was asking me questions about it and I told her it was a fast coaster with music built in to the ride. When we sat into the seats and put the harness on she asked a CM if this ride goes upside down. He laughed and kept checking everyone's harness. (he thought she was joking)

She then started asking me and I knew once we on I could tell her that it did and that she couldn't get out of going on. She screamed the entire ride over everyone else. When we exited her harness wouldn't release and a CM had to help her release it. At first I thought she would kill me and then she started to burst out laughing. Phew! lol.

homeschool mom
06-05-2008, 02:16 PM
In May 2007, we went to celebrate DDs 16th birthday. Part of her gift was to take along her best friend who has never been to WDW. We "neglected" to tell the best friend that the bridge collapse on Kilimanjaro Safaris is not real. Of course, we made sure she was sitting on the left side of the truck. I thought she would jump over the other people in the row trying to save herself from impending doom. We laughed so hard we cried. We also got her at Ice Station Cool with the Beverly and I have a great picture of her ititial reaction.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-05-2008, 04:39 PM
1) I detest people who play pranks on first timers, such as
. . . putting them in line for the spitting camel
. . . telling them the 3:00 parade is 3:00 at Towne Square
. . . letting them know that Tower of Terror is "just" an elevator ride
. . . showing them all the animatronic figures on the AK safari
. . . telling them Clinton is real in Hall of Presidents and is coming back
. . . getting them to look "very closely" at the Epcot living statues
2) And, I promise not to do (most of) them again.

I think it's just mean. Why play pranks on people especially ones you don't know? I'd hate to have someone do it to me. As for Beverly I always tell people that's it's terrible when they ask.

TheRustyScupper
06-05-2008, 04:44 PM
I think it's just mean. Why play pranks on people especially ones you don't know? I'd hate to have someone do it to me. As for Beverly I always tell people that's it's terrible when they ask.

1) I agree.
2) It may be fun for us, but it might ruin WDW for someone else.
3) They might not take it as the joke you intended.
4) I can see calling real animals as animatronics or the living statues.
5) Beyond that, no.

DisneyOtaku
06-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Wow, Beverly seems to be the best prank around. Loveing all of the responces though :thumbsup:

I never would do it to a stranger who asked me a question just because I don't know them and their history (like health problems and the likes).

Friends I have known for several years though, who know me inside out and me them? TOTALLY fair game :mickey:

EJS-Houston
06-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Jeanne, you and I must be of the same mind! :plot:

I am always trying to get complete strangers to try the Beverly out.

What on earth is "the Beverly." I'm completely in the dark on this...and don't even think about telling me to just try it on my next WDW trip!

joonyer
06-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Beverly is one of the flavors of Coca-Cola brand soft-drinks from around the world (Italy, in this case) that you can sample at "Club Cool" (formerly "Ice Station Cool") at Epcot. It's in Future World, just to the right of the big fountain as you face the World Showcase Lagoon.

And yes, you have to try it. It's not that bad, just an unexpected flavor. Try it, You'll like it . . . . . I promise.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Telling my youngest sister on her first trip to WDW "it's really cute, your gonna like it" for EVERYTHING!
If I am talking to newbies in line at the HM, I'll position myself beside them in the stretching room and when the lights go out, I'll tap them on the shoulder. I'll wait a little bit through the line and then tell them it was really me.

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-07-2008, 09:41 AM
What on earth is "the Beverly." I'm completely in the dark on this...and don't even think about telling me to just try it on my next WDW trip!

Beverly is one of the flavors of Coca-Cola brand soft-drinks from around the world (Italy, in this case) that you can sample at "Club Cool" (formerly "Ice Station Cool") at Epcot. It's in Future World, just to the right of the big fountain as you face the World Showcase Lagoon.

And yes, you have to try it. It's not that bad, just an unexpected flavor. Try it, You'll like it . . . . . I promise.

Beverly is consumed as a non-alcoholic apéritif in Italy. The drinks bitter flavor is due to quinine.

I agree to at least try it. I'm not saying drink a cup of it but give it a try. I've only seen one person actually drink a full cup of it and say they liked it. It has a really strong flavor. Give it a try so you can say you've tried it.

Personally I think that Mezzo (from Germany) is the best.

andreallybadeggs
06-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Beverly is fun, no doubt. Also love it when cast members in Hall of Presidents and COP say to check that your seat belts are securely fastened.
Newbies fall for it every time.:funny::funny:

buzznwoodysmom
06-07-2008, 08:28 PM
We've had first timers with us try Beverly also. We have a great picture of our two sons and our two nephews all trying it at the same time. Priceless!

We also told my MIL that RNRC didn't have any inversions. Boy was she mad at us when we got off the ride. Later in the day she said that she was glad we lied to her because had she known she would have never gotten on. She refuses to ride it to this day, but is glad she did it once.

disneydeb
06-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Gee I hope Hyper71 doesn't read the last post. I've been trying to get her on RnRC, if she reads that she will never try it!:D

WDWFREAK101
06-07-2008, 10:43 PM
I went to Disney with a couple of other friends. One of my friends brought their 6 year old daughter. She was sort of a...well... brat i guess. She kept kicking and screaming in her stroller demanding for something ALL THE TIME! It was mid day (meaning about 4 o' clock) and all of you with younger kids know that that is the worst time of the day with tired kids. We went on It's a Small World just to make her quiet but it turns out that she didn't want to ride it. So about half way into the ride she started screaming. :mickey: I told her to be quiet or else a CM would come up and take her off the boat and chain her on a spot inside It's A Small World where she would have to sing the song for the rest of her life. The look on her face was priceless! :thumbsup: She didn't speak a word the rest of the day! :funny:

Brer Mickey
06-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Back in '99, my mom and step dad went with us in Nov. and it was the first time for both. I told my mom several months prior to leaving that the most impressive thing about WDW was they they were able to fit all four theme parks inside of Spaceship Earth. She even got into an argument with someone at work who didn't think that was right. When my mom called me to confirm, I asked if she was going to believe me who had been there a dozen times or some farm lady from Idaho.

When we finally got to WDW, my mom was not very happy that I had carried on the prank for so long and that she had looked like a fool in front of her co-workers. My step dad just smiled and didn't say a word! :D

mrsHerbie53
06-09-2008, 02:07 PM
We have pranked my DS and my DM on Catastrophe Canyon in DHS. My DH and me didn't say anything about the impending "doom" and made sure they sat on the left -- they looks on their faces was the best. I thought my DS would have ended up clear across the tram!!!!! :laughing: :haha:

alilprincessmom99
06-09-2008, 04:31 PM
This wasn't me, but my great uncle and great aunt were there not long after MK opened and my great uncle knew a little more about the rides than my great aunt. He took her over to Space Mountain and told her it was a slow ride through outer space. Needless to say she was furious when they got off. Picture this, a 50 something lady with a bufont (sp?) hair do, all cocked to the side ranting and raving at her DH. I wish I could have been there!