PDA

View Full Version : Diets

katzctkpt
06-02-2008, 11:23 PM
I need to lose some weight. I've done weight watchers a couple yrs ago and lost like 10lbs in a month and nothing else afterwards. I was also walking 2-3 miles a day. I did this for about 4 months.
What diets or supplements have you tried and have they worked? How do you keep the will power to continue once you've become discouraged?:(

Sunshine1010
06-03-2008, 12:06 AM
I've lost a significant amount of weight 2 different ways in my life:

1. I walked 4 miles a day. EVERY day. 2 miles in the morning, and then 2 miles at night. I'd have a light breakfast and an early dinner. And then nothing after 6pm.
Result: 30 pounds in about 30 days

2. I requested to be put on a medication called TOPAMAX. It's a seizure medication, but the side effect is major weight loss. I started with a lose dose and gradually went up on a higher dose. I ate anything I wanted....but it was in moderation.
Result: 65 pounds in 3 months

I once asked a pharmacist about diet products. I asked her, "What program/pill/plan have you seen the best results with?". She said, "Without a doubt, Weight Watchers."

Another comment: There is a lady who works at my local grocery store. She has lost over 50 pounds in 2 months by using the LA WEIGHT LOSS system.

In my honest opinion, I think the best weight loss program is the one you are committed to.

biodtl
06-03-2008, 08:14 AM
For me, it's weight watchers. I have lost large amounts of weight with them in the past (and sadly, gained it back - no fault of WW - it's all my own fault).

I started back recently and I'm down 19 pounds so far.

Ian
06-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Let me tell you something ... I've never been a big fan of diet plans. I always said that if you wanted to lose weight you just had to eat less and exercise and that you didn't need anyone to tell you how to do that.

And yet, there I was at like 25 pounds more than my ideal weight.

So I went on Nutri-System (it was recommended by someone) and I ended up losing 25 pounds in just a little over 6 weeks (with exercise).

It's awesome ... you've never hungry. There's plenty of food to eat (and it's pretty good, too!) and you really don't need a whole lot of self-discipline. The food is all there for you and you pretty much just follow what's in the book and you'll lose weight.

I highly recommend it. It was really awesome!

MatterhornMiss
06-03-2008, 10:18 AM
I have tried on and of throughout my life to lose weight by exercising, but never really been successful. What has really helped the most is restricting the amount of calories I took in. Before I started calorie counting, I was doing cardio 45 mins a day, 6 days a week, and although I felt I had more energy, I was disappointed I didn't see more on results when I stepped on the scale. I *thought* I being good when I ate, but when I really started counting calories and weighing/measuring portions (something I told myself I would never do), I saw how much excess I was taking in. My goal is 1600 Calories a day, giving myself one "splurge" day a week (helps keep my metabolism up), and making sure I get plenty of protein and fiber. I've cut way back on things like cereal and pasta (which were staples before) because I feel they cost too many calories not to really fill me up. I use Weight Watchers recipes and look for lower fat/calorie versions of my favorite foods. My friend bought me a copy of "The Hungry Girl Cookbook," which also gives great low-cal recipes for favorite comfort foods. I've stocked up on things like egg-substitute, and substitute veggie burgers, buffalo meat, or ground turkey for ground beef. I found these great tortillas at the grocery store that only have 50 Cal each, but have 8 grams of protein and fiber, that I substitute for bread items. I don't drink sodas, even diet, but mainly water, although I do occasionally have sugar free drink mixes (like the Crystal Lite).

I have stuck with this longer than any other program, because I'm able to find foods I like and fill me up, and I have really seen results. I don't look at it as being on a diet, but as a plan I can stick with for the rest of my life. Once I reach my target weight, I will increase my caloric intake to be able to maintain, but not gain more, weight (there are many nutrition websites that have calculators to help with this). It has really helped having a friend trying to lose weight at the same time because we can share recipes or other exciting victories along the way.

tinkerbell04
06-03-2008, 01:40 PM
I have tried on and of throughout my life to lose weight by exercising, but never really been successful. What has really helped the most is restricting the amount of calories I took in. Before I started calorie counting, I was doing cardio 45 mins a day, 6 days a week, and although I felt I had more energy, I was disappointed I didn't see more on results when I stepped on the scale. I *thought* I being good when I ate, but when I really started counting calories and weighing/measuring portions (something I told myself I would never do), I saw how much excess I was taking in. My goal is 1600 Calories a day, giving myself one "splurge" day a week (helps keep my metabolism up), and making sure I get plenty of protein and fiber. I've cut way back on things like cereal and pasta (which were staples before) because I feel they cost too many calories not to really fill me up. I use Weight Watchers recipes and look for lower fat/calorie versions of my favorite foods. My friend bought me a copy of "The Hungry Girl Cookbook," which also gives great low-cal recipes for favorite comfort foods. I've stocked up on things like egg-substitute, and substitute veggie burgers, buffalo meat, or ground turkey for ground beef. I found these great tortillas at the grocery store that only have 50 Cal each, but have 8 grams of protein and fiber, that I substitute for bread items. I don't drink sodas, even diet, but mainly water, although I do occasionally have sugar free drink mixes (like the Crystal Lite).

I have stuck with this longer than any other program, because I'm able to find foods I like and fill me up, and I have really seen results. I don't look at it as being on a diet, but as a plan I can stick with for the rest of my life. Once I reach my target weight, I will increase my caloric intake to be able to maintain, but not gain more, weight (there are many nutrition websites that have calculators to help with this). It has really helped having a friend trying to lose weight at the same time because we can share recipes or other exciting victories along the way.

You sound EXACTLY like me. I have been doing the same thing with walking in the evenings. I am down 15 pounds in 5 weeks :)

DizneeRX
06-03-2008, 01:57 PM
I think the hardest thing to realize about trying to lose weight is the fact that it takes TIME. There is no “oh, I lost 50 lbs in 2 months” quick fix and if someone boasts such a “feat” I would not classify their weight-loss as permanent. Plus, no doctor would advise such quick weight loss.

I have lost a considerable amount of weight in the past and kept it off for years. Right now I’m currently working on losing baby-weight, it’s taking time and I’ve struggled but I feel that if you just focus on the food, you’ll be missing other aspects of why the weight was put on in the first place. I do like Weight Watchers a lot and lost a lot of weight in the year that I was formally following it (pre-baby). Although I’m not currently on the formal Weight watchers program I do essentially follow the same guidelines. I learned what I needed from them and am doing it on my own now.

I’m not a fan of programs like Nutri-system or Jennie Craig at all. Not only are they just plain expensive, but they don’t really teach someone how to eat. They give you menus and you buy food, (Yes, BUY, BUY, BUY their food $$$$), but actual learning and real-life application isn’t there. As the old parable goes…If you want to feed someone do you give them a fish or teach them how to fish?? Once you’ve reached your goal weight and (dare I say..) stop buying their products… what happens?? Sure I can see where you may be able to eat less for a while since you’re used to it, but as time goes on… and the real world sets in…uh-oh, those pounds mysteriously re-appear! I think a lot of these diet programs/products are just money-driven and feed on people’s desire to loose weight “quickly”…. Once again, it’s the time thing.

To lose weight.. you can simply follow sensible portions (read the serving sizes of products and listen to your body), follow the good old food pyramid, get good sleep and some exercise. Don’t go to extremes with eating too little or exercising too much. Just do it little by little on a daily basis. The hard part is following it over time, if you can just keep at little changes …like mustard over mayo, stairs instead of the elevator, etc. you’ll be surprised at the changes you can make in yourself and how seemingly effortless it can be. Plus, you won’t have shelled out a fortune to the diet-machine monsters.

tinklover
06-03-2008, 02:15 PM
her eis my experience , to put yourself on a so called diet is like taking a test you did not study for . You are going to fail. so i have done a compleset " life style" change. I still eat teh things i want to eat with in moderation. cut my portions and eat healthier foods that still taste great. i have also joined a gym. since april i have lost 28 lbs.

I am basically doing the 3 hour diet ( ugh there is that word) to help boost my metabolism back up. i am not a big eater and because of it i was packing on the pounds.

when you skip a meal here or a snack there because you are telling yourself i need to lose this weight and i can afford to miss that meal , you actually can't afford to miss it. when you do that your body says ok we are hungry so we will go into starvation mode and store the fat form that last meal we had since we don;t know when we will eat again.

another great tip to losing weight is actualy weights. by building some muscle your muscles will help burn calories 24/7 even when you can;t get to teh gym or outside to walk. Good luck in what ever way you choose to go in losing teh weight i know you can do it:thumbsup:

Ian
06-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I’m not a fan of programs like Nutri-system or Jennie Craig at all. Not only are they just plain expensive, but they don’t really teach someone how to eat.They give you menus and you buy food, (Yes, BUY, BUY, BUY their food $$$$), but actual learning and real-life application isn’t there.Having just completed 45 days on Nutri-System, I have to totally and completely disagree with you.

Not only does Nutri-System teach you proper portion size and how to eat healthy, it's basically the entire focus of the program. It's not their intention that you'll keep buying their food forever (although I'm sure they wouldn't mind ;) ) ... the idea is that you do the program until you either lose your weight or until you have a handle on what proper portion size is for you.

As far as it being expensive, again I have to disagree. I think the men's program was about $300 for a month. I don't know about anyone else, but there's no way I can buy a month's worth of food for $300 the way I was eating beforehand.

I think those are very popular misconceptions about the program, but take it from someone who's done it ... neither one is the case at all.

To prove my point, I've been off the Nutri-System program for 2 months now and I've continued to lose weight because I've learned how to adjust my eating habits.

tinklover
06-03-2008, 02:40 PM
To prove my point, I've been off the Nutri-System program for 2 months now and I've continued to lose weight because I've learned how to adjust my eating habits.

:clappy::yay::congrats: Ian great job , keep up the good work

BrerGnat
06-03-2008, 02:57 PM
"Diets" don't work.

I really feel like writing a book called "The ONLY Weight Loss Plan that Works".

It would be ONE page long.

On that page, it would say this:

"If you need/want to lose weight, all you have to do is some SIMPLE elementary school math. Burn more calories than you eat and you will lose weight, period. It's just math. If your body burns 2500 calories per day and you eat 2000 calories a day, you will lose a pound a week 500 x 7= 3500 cal (one pound). IF you want to lose more, BURN MORE CALORIES and EAT LESS.

Eat less (less calories in). Move around more (more calories out). Walk, run, bike, swim, jump, whatever gets you going."

I would combine that book with one called "How to Burn More Calories at Rest". The one page of this book would say:

"In order to increase your metabolic function (i.e. to burn more calories at rest) you have to increase your MUSCLE to FAT ratio. Lean muscle burns more calories at rest than fat. By adding lean muscle (not bulk), you will burn more fat throughout the day, no matter WHAT you are doing. NO exercise/weight loss plan will be successful in the long term unless WEIGHT TRAINING is a key component. You don't need a gym to do this. Your own body provides you with enough weight to use. Very simple exercises using your own body weight can build muscle in a more effective way than traditional weight lifting."

Let me tell you, losing weight first and foremost requires DISCIPLINE. It's not about starving or depriving yourself. It's about changing your ATTITUDE about food and figure out what made you overweight to begin with. It's all in your head, seriously. You have to start there if you want to succeed.

I consider myself to be a pretty fit/healthy individual, but I have been up there on the scale at times in my life. I've had two kids and 2 years after having my last baby, I am back to my "pre-first baby" weight. It takes time, but it will happen if you really want it.

I have recently become sort of obsessed about a specific workout that has basically MELTED the pounds away while, and I'm not kidding here, I have been able to eat ANYTHING I wanted. If you want some more info, go ahead and PM me. It's not something that everyone can do (it's challenging), but I promise you, it works and you will be in the best shape of your life.

BrerGnat
06-03-2008, 03:02 PM
I've lost a significant amount of weight 2 different ways in my life:

2. I requested to be put on a medication called TOPAMAX. It's a seizure medication, but the side effect is major weight loss. I started with a lose dose and gradually went up on a higher dose. I ate anything I wanted....but it was in moderation.
Result: 65 pounds in 3 months

I mean no offense here, but this is some very dangerous advice. That particular medication has some SERIOUS neurological side effects. I've looked into taking it for migraine prevention, and decided against it due to those effects. The weight loss side effect in this medication does not happen to everyone, and going on a medication like this SOLELY to lose weight is irresponsible and dangerous. No credible doctor would ever authorize a prescription for this medication solely for weight loss.

Resorting to pills/drugs to lose weight is not the answer, especially prescription drugs that are NOT meant to be used for weight loss.

J9
06-03-2008, 03:29 PM
I too am a little heavier (ok - quite a bit heavier) than I should be. I need to lose about 30-35 pounds to be in the ideal range for someone as short as me.

I've done LA Weight Loss with some success - I got myself down about 30 pounds to about 146. However, I've gained about 20 pounds of it back in the past two years - mostly I think because I fell off the track a bit. Also, I came home from my 3 month study abroad in Rome and had a car again so there was no need to walk everywhere. Unfortunately for me, LA Weight Loss went out of business (the LA Weight Loss that is around now is NOT the same LA Weight Loss from a few years ago. They used to be based in Horsham, PA and changed their name from LA to Pure. And then Pure went out of business. It was on the news and everything because people were left high and dry. I think another company bought the same, especially since there are no longer ANY centers in the Philadelphia area. I don't know how alike the two programs are besides name.

Since I still want to get down another 30 pounds, I'm trying Weight Watchers. I've been on the program about a month and am down two pounds so far. I'm actually not too happy with the results because I think I should have lost more by now. With LA I was losing about 2 pounds A WEEK. And I've been following WW religiously. It's kind of discouraging.

Why oh why can't fat be healthy?!?!?! :confused:

Ian
06-03-2008, 03:37 PM
"Diets" don't work.

I really feel like writing a book called "The ONLY Weight Loss Plan that Works".

It would be ONE page long.

On that page, it would say this:

"If you need/want to lose weight, all you have to do is some SIMPLE elementary school math. Burn more calories than you eat and you will lose weight, period.Eh ... this is pretty facile advice, really. I mean I sort of equate it to telling someone who smokes that, "All you have to do to quit smoking is stop buying cigarettes ." ... if it was this easy, we wouldn't be a nation of fatsos.

The truth is, most people don't have the willpower to lose weight simply by eating less than they burn each day. At least not at first ... most folks need a gentle push in the right direction. For many people, it's not gluttony or greed that causes them to be overweight. It's a simple lack of understanding of what constitues healthy eating.

Diets, for better or worse, can teach you that. You're right in that you can't stay on a "diet" forever and at some point you have to quit dieting and go out on your own. But at the same time, the right diet plan can be very valuable in terms of starting you down the right path.

DizneeRX
06-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Having just completed 45 days on Nutri-System, I have to totally and completely disagree with you.

Not only does Nutri-System teach you proper portion size and how to eat healthy, it's basically the entire focus of the program. It's not their intention that you'll keep buying their food forever (although I'm sure they wouldn't mind ;) ) ... the idea is that you do the program until you either lose your weight or until you have a handle on what proper portion size is for you.

As far as it being expensive, again I have to disagree. I think the men's program was about $300 for a month. I don't know about anyone else, but there's no way I can buy a month's worth of food for $300 the way I was eating beforehand.

I think those are very popular misconceptions about the program, but take it from someone who's done it ... neither one is the case at all.

You have that wonderful, “I just lost x amount of lbs” euphoria, so I can understand your devotion to Nutri-System and can see where your oddly “commercial-like” opinions are coming from. We’ve all been there. I really don’t want to burst your bubble, it’s GREAT that you lost weight but two months is not long term so, frankly, you haven’t proven anything. Be realistic. I’ve kept more weight off for years and (what a shock), I didn’t buy Nutri-System. I don’t think it right to push something that costs people money when it’s unnecessary. Is your post an advertisement?

I wouldn’t classify my opinions about it as being “popular misconceptions.” I’m not some mindless person who looks at commercials and makes assumptions. So please, don’t try to belittle my point because you feel threatened.

No, I didn’t buy and eat the Nutri-System program.. because after researching it, I found it’s a waste of money. I have real hands-on knowledge of the program, just because I didn’t go on it doesn’t mean that I don’t have just as much information as you do about it. You didn’t buy a top secret plan.

Sure Nutri-system may seem like it’s cheaper than constantly eating out and the cost of over-eating, but you fail to realize that you don’t have to spend ANYTHING to lose weight. You can lose weight by spending your regular grocery bill allotment. In fact, when you are watching your weight you will actually spend LESS than your regular bill since your regular food will last you longer. So comparing real-life, regular grocery shopping to the cost of Nutri-system plus the food you have to buy (not all food is included)… Nutri-System costs you MORE. [I’m not even going to go into the more costly family aspect of going on this plan…]

My point is that, I don’t believe that Nutri-system is furnishing you with any knowledge that you can’t just pick up anywhere on the net...and for FREE nonetheless. If they were teaching some revelation about weight loss, it would be the end-all of diet plans, which it isn’t. You don’t have to spend money to some company to lose weight.

Dakota Rose
06-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I agree that the best diet is the one you find easy to commit to. Each person and body is different so if low-carb works for one, it might not work for the other, etc.

That said, I've had the best results with a low-carb program. That paired with daily exercise helped me drop the stubborn 20 lbs I hadn't been able to lose.

After DS was born, I went on 6 week body makeover and lost almost all of the baby weight. Then I hit a plateau and couldn't get off it despite adding exercise, etc.The program has an interesting philosophy.

I did take, for awhile, Dreamshape weight loss pills, and found them to be very helpful but stopped taking them b/c I had to order online and it was too hard to remember.

Ian
06-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Sure Nutri-system may seem like it’s cheaper than constantly eating out and the cost of over-eating, but you fail to realize that you don’t have to spend ANYTHING to lose weight. You can lose weight by spending your regular grocery bill allotment. In fact, when you are watching your weight you will actually spend LESS than your regular bill since your regular food will last you longer.The rest of your post is your opinion, to which you're certainly entitled. I'm sure dieting is a very personal thing for a lot of folks and you obviously have strong opinions that Nutri-System is a "waste of money" ... that's your right to feel that way and to post, so I apologize if I came across as belittling your opinion. I happen to disagree with it, but obviously that's not really something you're interested in hearing.

But to the point quoted above, I guess I didn't make myself clear in my post. I spent less on Nutri-System than I did on food previously. It's not really speculation or anything ... it was fact.

Could I have eaten more cheaply? Probably, but I think most people would agree that $300 for a month's worth of food isn't outrageously expensive. Your posts sort of make it seem like you're spending some ridiculous sum of money for the program and I just don't agree with that.

Sunshine1010
06-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Natalie,

No offense taken.

The doctor here used it as a weight loss program. Nurses, paramedics, doctors, fireman and policeman went on it. Everyone lost weight. Some lost over 100 pounds. Some have kept it off. Others haven't.

Carol
06-04-2008, 07:54 AM
I would suggest posting in the Healthy Living thread that is stickied at the top of this forum. You can get a lot of support and advice from the INTERCOT Community.

Disneyatic
06-04-2008, 12:00 PM
In fact, when you are watching your weight you will actually spend LESS than your regular bill since your regular food will last you longer.

I don't know that I agree that eating healthy is cheaper than not. Maybe on the extra fast food spending, but we have recently been trying to shop and eat healthier and it has inflated our grocery bill!

That said, I've had the best results with a low-carb program. That paired with daily exercise helped me drop the stubborn 20 lbs I hadn't been able to lose.

I SO wish I could lower my carbs but I love bread, potatoes and pasta so it makes it tough!

mrsgaribaldi
06-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Alot of people use Nutrisystem at work and they lost alot of weight. I'm currently on it now for a little over a week. I think it's worth the money. :mickey:

tinkerbell04
06-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't know that I agree that eating healthy is cheaper than not. Maybe on the extra fast food spending, but we have recently been trying to shop and eat healthier and it has inflated our grocery bill!

I tend to agree with you on that point :)

PirateLover
06-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Liz, you took the words right out of my... fingers? lol. Anyway, since I've been eating healthier I've been going shopping about once a week or every two weeks for things like fruits, vegetables, and the healthier choices for microwaveable meals (IE Lean Cuisine instead of Hungry Man). My bills have gone up, even though I'm buying less and buying healthy. I know that if I were to shop at a farmers market or something like that, the fruits and veggies would be cheaper, but that's just not an option for me.

I lost 10 lbs a month ago in 8 days and I haven't gained it back yet. For 8 days I ate nothing except fruits, veggies, lentil soup,egg beaters and that's about it. I followed Dr. Ian's "Fat Smash" diet from Celebrity Fit Club. I wasn't able to fully keep up with the program even though I completed phase 1 which is the hardest part, because it's a a lifestyle change that you have to be totally committed to and I'm not quite there yet. However again it's a program dedicated to learning to control your portions, how to get your metabolism up and running and not denying yourself some indulgences here and there. The book is really basic and I found it for like $5 on Amazon so I'd recommend it if you're serious. The other thing is, you have to exercise. Biking, elliptical, jogging, pilates... anything. You just have to get your system up and running and ensure you are burning more calories than you're taking in. I need to get back on track myself, I'd still like to lose another 15...

Scar
06-04-2008, 03:17 PM
For those of you who think eating healthy is more expensive, just think of all the money you will save down the road from doctor's visits, hospital stays, and medication.

- "Being healthy is expensive. Being unhealthy will bankrupt you."

IloveDisney71
06-04-2008, 04:59 PM
I've been a yo-yo dieter for about 10 years. I've done the Slim-fast, Atkins, Southbeach, etc. BUt I've had the most success with Weight Watchers. I started in Oct. '07 and by the beginning of January '08 I'd lost 25 pounds and was under my "ideal" weight. The GOOD news is that I've been able to maintain that weight for 5 months now. I've never maintained a weight loss after any of the other "diet" plans. With weight watchers, I learned healthy food options and most importantly PORTION CONTROL! I still attend meetings at least once a month to help keep me motivated. This was the easiest diet I've ever done.

PirateLover
06-04-2008, 05:31 PM
For those of you who think eating healthy is more expensive, just think of all the money you will save down the road from doctor's visits, hospital stays, and medication.

- "Being healthy is expensive. Being unhealthy will bankrupt you."

Completely agreed here. Which is why that even though short term it's costing me more money to eat healthy than not, I still gladly fork over the dough because it's worth it.

DizneeRX
06-04-2008, 07:01 PM

I know what you're saying... the first few times I went healthy shopping I spent more than I usually did, but now I can even skip some trips. I used to go every week, now I go once every week and a half or even two weeks (just go to pick up milk w/little ones.) Plus I need less when I go. That 1 lb. box of pasta lasts longer because we don't eat it all in one sitting.....also, leftovers are a wonderful thing and easy dinner when I don't have time to cook.

I'm a frugal shopper so I wait for sales and stuff to buy those diet/healthy type things that may be more pricey than the unhealthy alternative. Plus, we're not buying all the junk food. So in the long term, I really am spending less. That doesn't even include the bundle we're saving by not eating out a lot.

ckaranassos
06-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I love the South Beach Diet. It is very similiar to the thoughts of NutriSystem (glycemic index) The first phase is a bit harsh, but I lost 9 pounds in two weeks. (that was great incentitive) The second phase is a lot easier (that's where I still am and could live this way) I did not do well with weight watchers, it was too much thinking. It seemed I couldn't eat without counting and figuring, although it works great for some. With the South Beach I am never hungry and I eat when I want and avoid basically certain carbs (ones I should be skipping anyway) I even noticed my cholesterol was lowered because of the diet and obviously weight lost. I have lost a total of 15 pounds and have 5 to go. What ever you choose best of luck!!:thumbsup:

Sunshine1010
06-04-2008, 09:12 PM
How do people go on diets and use different foods if they still have a family that needs to be cooked for?

Make sense?

DizneeRX
06-04-2008, 09:40 PM
How do people go on diets and use different foods if they still have a family that needs to be cooked for?

Make sense?

Makes perfect sense. Sometimes it is a little difficult to juggle. I have a family to cook for and my husband and I are trying to lose some (quite a few) pounds. If I'm making something healthy/diet-like that I don't think they'll like, it doesn't take long to heat up a couple of hot dogs or chicken nuggets.

But, I think it's a great time to teach my kids healthy eating. We don't draw attention to the fact that we want to lose weight, but we let our kids know it's good to eat healthy... they'll get bigger and stronger and be able to play longer and run faster if they eat food with good vitamins.... We don't make a big deal of it, kids watch what you do more than listen to what you "preach." Plus, I wouldn't eat healthy and continually give my kids junk. They have their share of Happy Meals, but not all the time.

Really, we don't eat anything unusual that the kids wouldn't be eating anyway. Grilled chicken, pasta and veggies (not loaded with butter/grease). They like it and it gets them used to eating things that are good for them rather than getting accustomed to things high in fat/cholesterol, etc.

My kids eat turkey hot dogs, drink skim milk, eat reduced fat cheeze-its and love wheat thins. I used reduced fat cheese, healthy bread, etc. They're used to all of it and don't even raise an eyebrow. Yes, they have regular cookies and stuff, just in moderation...two or three cookies, not half a box.

If you make it a family thing to eat healthy (not necessarily diet) it's all the better.

Sunshine1010
06-04-2008, 11:38 PM
That's great advice. Thanks -----