PDA

View Full Version : Dining reviews 5/23-5/27, part 2

Hammer
06-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Dinner- Biergarten

I thought a bit on where to go for dinner at Epcot with my parents. After discussing it with Cheryl, my sister, we decided Biergarten would be good as my parents love German food, would have fun with the oompah band, and it’s relatively cheap which appeals to my Dad ;) . We got there about 20 minutes before our ADR and were seated about 10 minutes later. My parents loved everything they ate there (though they said the potato dumplings were just okay). They went back for seconds on the sauerbraten and the roulades. I really enjoyed the food as well and had seconds on the roulades, the spaetzle and the schnitzel (which I added hunter’s sauce on the last 2 items). We were seated with a couple of CMs from the High School Musical show at the Studios and friends of theirs who dance in Riverdance. Really interesting people to talk with during dinner :thumbsup: ! I would not hesitate to eat there again! I will comment that our waitress was not the best here. She brought Dad the wrong Spaten beer as he wanted Oktoberfest and she brought Optimator and he does not like bocks. It was tough to get drink refills from her and she knew nothing about the wines, even the ones on the menu. Sorry, but you are German, working in a German restaurant and you do not know what Gewurztraminer wine is? I forgot my DDE card, so she did not get an automatic 18% tip, and she really didn’t deserve one (I tipped about 12-13%).

Monday 5/26 :flag:

Breakfast- Captain’s Grille- This was our disappointing meal of the trip. I have eaten breakfast here before and had very good meal. The buffet was not as good as it had been. According to my mother, the grits were like watery soup and did not have any flavor! I felt the same way about the sausage gravy. We sent Cheryl a text message with our results which made her quite sad. We are reconsidering our breakfast here in October.

Dinner- Fulton’s

We left dinner on this night open and I did not make an ADR prior to arriving at WDW. Dad said he felt like seafood (actually he wanted paella, but there aren’t any Spanish restaurants at WDW and they can eat at the Columbia anytime, so the one in Celebration isn’t a unique experience for us) so I called Fulton’s and had my choice of dinner times. For appetizers, I had the crab and lobster bisque, Mom the New England clam chowder, and Dad had the chowder along with ½ dozen oysters on the half shell. The appetizers were good, but not outstanding. For our entrees, Mom had the Copper River (mom would jokingly say she was having Cooper River salmon, which only people from this area will get the joke :laughing: ) salmon with the teriyaki sauce on the side, Dad had the 2 lb stuffed lobster and I had the cioppino. Everyone enjoyed their entrée. Now I know there are many who love this restaurant, but for the price they charge I expect the food presentation and quality to be equal to a WDW Signature restaurant and it did not meet that standard. The meal was good, but not to the level of a signature restaurant and I expect that for the prices charged.

5/27
Breakfast- Bob Evans (on the way home). I wanted some biscuits and sausage gravy before I left and the one served here is tasty!

wendy*darling
06-02-2008, 09:49 PM
:hi: Christine! Thanks for the dining reviews.

Glad to hear Biergarten was good. We enjoy this place and will be returning in October with a couple of newbies and again in January, as it is Nicholas' top pick!

I, too, am sad to hear about your bad experience at Captain's Grill. :( We used to enjoy this quiet place for a nice breakfast or 2. We are staying at the BCV in October- I had it on my list for possible breakfast decisions- looks like I may have to reconsider.

Cooper River Salmon? Ewwww!
:skull: I don't think I'd be ordering THAT anytime soon. :ambal:

Kairi_7378
06-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Cooper River Salmon? Ewwww!
:skull: I don't think I'd be ordering THAT anytime soon. :ambal:

LOL... and I agree! Thanks for the great dining reviews in this post and the other one. I always enjoy reading dining reviews.

buzz638
06-03-2008, 10:06 AM
thanks for the reviews, it really helps:thumbsup:

cal5755
06-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Sorry your breakfast was subpar.... that totally stinks when you are on vacation. Thanks for the reviews though!:mickey:

tinkerbell04
06-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the review. I am sorry to hear about the less then stellar breakfast at the Captians Grille. :mickey:

ElenitaB
06-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks, Christine! :thumbsup: The idea of eating at Biergarten is growing on me more and more.

(Linda, if you're at BCV, try Spoodles. :piglet: and I had a great breakfast there.)

BelleLovesTheBeast
06-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Biergarten is one of our favorites. Sorry to hear you didn't get great service.

Do you think it was that she just didn't understand your pronunciation of Gewürztraminer? I have a friend from Germany who points out every time you pronounce something German wrong and has not understood something German I've said because I didn't say it right. My ancestors might have been German but I sure can't pronounce them like a German.

Also I know that the wines we drink here from other countries aren't always big were they are from. We did a wine tasting a couple of years ago and the girl named grape varietals that she liked that I've never hear of. They were ones that were ones that were unlike Riesling and
Gewürztraminer - dry white wines.

Hammer
06-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I've ordered Gewürztraminer at other German restaurants and haven't had any trouble with wait staff not understanding my pronunciation, so I tend to think it was her and she not being well versed with wines. Anyway, I wouldn't have deducted her tip if that was the only issue. Receiving the wrong beer (after my father repeated it for her 3 times) and having to ask for drink refills is what really bothered me and my parents. It will not prevent us from returning, however, on another trip.