PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on dining..

r4kids
06-02-2008, 03:40 PM
We are looking to try a few new places this Jan. Any opinions on Teppan Edo (Japan), Chefs De France, Tutto Italia , and Yak and Yeti. Any info would be appreciated. We are a party of 10. 6 adults who like to try new things and 4 kids (13-5) that are willing to try new things. :mickey:

Mfarquar
06-02-2008, 07:00 PM
I have reservations for Tutto Italia, Tepan Edo and Yak & Yeti, as we are looking to try some new things. I'm very curious to see others' recent opinions as well!

We have been to Alfredo's many times, and I hope that Tutto Italia can fill its shoes. We haven't been to Tepan Edo in years (and back then it was called something different, I think). And of course, Yak & Yeti is new, so I'm interested to see how it's faring (I've only readthe reviews that came out right after it opened).

Hopefully they will all be yummy!:blush:

r4kids
06-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I have reservations for Tutto Italia, Tepan Edo and Yak & Yeti, as we are looking to try some new things. I'm very curious to see others' recent opinions as well!

We have been to Alfredo's many times, and I hope that Tutto Italia can fill its shoes. We haven't been to Tepan Edo in years (and back then it was called something different, I think). And of course, Yak & Yeti is new, so I'm interested to see how it's faring (I've only readthe reviews that came out right after it opened).

Hopefully they will all be yummy!:blush:

We also enjoyed Alfredo's. I am a little unsure beacause the menu is only ok. We'll see.

Pirate Granny
06-02-2008, 07:57 PM
We ate at Yak & Yeti's a few weeks ago and we enjoyed the food, drinks and desserts. The CM were very good and the restaurant was not crowded...it was 5pm and it had rained for the last hour. We did have ADR's for lunch (2pm) and moved them at noon to 5pm with no trouble. We've eaten at Chef's de France and like the food and service...tables are very close together though. We're going to try Bistro in November (they don't take ADR more than 30 days out) Tutto reservations aren't until our November trip also...DD and I ate at Japan in 98, so way too long ago to comment...
I'm sure you'll get a response shortly from others who have dined there recently.
:pirate:

SBETigg
06-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Chefs de France has a bright, lively atmosphere. The food and service can be erratic. If you catch it on a good day, you'll be very pleased. It can be excellent. Unfortunately, you could catch it on a bad day and then it's mediocre, but still not awful. My family enjoys Chefs de France and Teppan Edo. If you don't have a hibachi-style Japanese place in your neighborhood, Teppan Edo is a real treat.

r4kids
06-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but Chefs De France is the one with the windows in the front? I can't place the Bistro :confused:. I know where the pastry shop is :joy:. The info you provided helps alot. It is always a gamble to try new places to eat.

tmosier
06-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I wasn't impressed with Teppan Edo. It just didn't measure up with the other Japanese restaurants I've been to before.

r4kids
06-02-2008, 09:09 PM
I wasn't impressed with Teppan Edo. It just didn't measure up with the other Japanese restaurants I've been to before.

Really, was it the atmosphere, service, food or just the overall experience?

Natazu
06-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Okay, you're probably not going to like this but here's my worthless opinion.

Tutto Italia ☺☺☺☻
Quite a bit better than the canned Italian food you get at Tony’s or Mama Melrose’s, Tutto brings a more authentic board of fare. The menu is quite a bit more varied than the usual Italian eatery so even the pickiest diner can find something. The servers are dressed to kill in starched white shirts and black ties which is a little over the top for a place in a theme park but that may just be me. All the ingredients are fresh and the wine list is above average. The problem seems to be execution. There are three things that make a restaurant excel or fail... consistency, consistency, consistency. Tutto Italia isn’t maintaining consistent food quality. People shouldn’t leave a $100 a person dinner saying “pretty good”. People should leave with their schedules in their hand trying to figure out when they can fit in another visit.

Teppan Edo ☺☺☺☻
Teppanyaki grills don’t really do it for me as a method of dining. I don’t need singing shrimp, onion volcanoes, or Japanese egg rolls to make my meal complete. The food is rarely exceptional and the food is usually overpriced. Teppan Edo is no different. The do have great sushi, but, if you have a great Japanese steakhouse at home, eat there and save the Disney meal slot for something you can’t get on a random Tuesday next door to the local pet store.

Chefs de France ☺☺☻
A lot of people think I hate this place. That’s not actually true. The menu was created expertly, some complex items and some, uh, simple ones. However, French cooking is not an art, it’s a science and the kitchen staff isn’t living up to the quality of the original creators. Chefs de France has fallen victim to the most common pitfall when the recipes aren’t created in-house… inconsistency. And that’s a deal breaker for me. Is the food at Chefs bad? No, but we just don’t bother eating there anymore. Give me consistently great food or leave it in the kitchen. Est-ce que c'est trop difficile?

Yak and Yeti
I can't say much about this place since I haven't been there yet but the reviews have been pretty good for the Table Service side.

Somebody mentioned Bistro so here's that...
Bistro De Paris (Non-Disney – No DDP) ☺☺☺☺☻
Rich with the culinary ideals still held true from Calais to Monaco, Bistro’s consistency has become the maxim to which more restaurants should aspire. Perfectly cooked duck with just the right amount of tarragon or fresh scallops, lobster, or snapper. The hardest part is deciding what to order. So, for less than a hundred dollars a person, you can sample a true degustation of excellence. Why the price fixe menu? Simple, chefs love showing off their talents, and one of the ways in which they can best do this is by offering a menu de degustation, literally, a "tasting menu" in which the meal consists of at least 6 different courses. This gives you an opportunity to try a broader range of dishes than would normally be possible. A couple can easily sample 10 different items during one dinner and for a little more money, complete the experience with carefully chosen wine pairings.

r4kids
06-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Thank you for your indepth reviews. It truly helps when planning. I don't like to waste food, money or TS credits. I think we will skip the Italian place. It does not seem to get great reviews. The kids really love the Japanese style of having food cooked in front of you but I think we'll look for something else since we do have a great place near us. 13 year old DD loves anything French so we are stuck there. I also think we'll keep Yak and Yeti. DO you have any recommenations for either Japan or China? My Dad really loves the Orient. Just on a side note and please don't flame me but when is MK going to get some better places to eat! We are planning to eat at Epcot 5 times.

Natazu
06-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Tokyo Dining
With an expansive view of the Epcot lagoon, a more relaxed atmosphere, and a much more attentive staff, Tokyo Dining promises to be leaps and bounds above Teppan Edo. I can't really say for sure since this one is pretty new and I haven't had the opportunity to try it.

Nine Dragons ☺☺☺☻
You’ll see some of the usual Chinese restaurant board of fare and some not so usual things. The Pork Loin is Xo Sauce is one of the latter. It’s worth every bit of $17.99, so is the Spicy Beef and the Eggplant in Garlic Sauce. Each appetizer is as good as the next; five stars to the Drunken Chicken. Sadly they have the same wretched ice cream as the Chinese Counter Service restaurant. The Nine Dragons Sampler for Two is a good value provided you want to try the less exotic (cheaper) entrées.

At Epcot, some of my favorite restaurants are Marrakesh, Coral Reef, & Le Cellier.

r4kids
06-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Tokyo Dining
With an expansive view of the Epcot lagoon, a more relaxed atmosphere, and a much more attentive staff, Tokyo Dining promises to be leaps and bounds above Teppan Edo. I can't really say for sure since this one is pretty new and I haven't had the opportunity to try it.

Nine Dragons ☺☺☺☻
You’ll see some of the usual Chinese restaurant board of fare and some not so usual things. The Pork Loin is Xo Sauce is one of the latter. It’s worth every bit of $17.99, so is the Spicy Beef and the Eggplant in Garlic Sauce. Each appetizer is as good as the next; five stars to the Drunken Chicken. Sadly they have the same wretched ice cream as the Chinese Counter Service restaurant. The Nine Dragons Sampler for Two is a good value provided you want to try the less exotic (cheaper) entrées.

At Epcot, some of my favorite restaurants are Marrakesh, Coral Reef, & Le Cellier.

Is there a menu for Tokyo dining or is it too new? I always forget about Coral Reef. I think we will eat there instead of Tutto Italia.

Crow
06-03-2008, 08:49 PM
I can comment on Tokyo Dining:thumbsup:
tried it shortly after arrival on my last trip, got there just before opening. great service, lots of bowing, not exp like many places there. good sushi. sake. the view is excellent. the remodel was very good. I also ate there for dinner. Im going back
Chefs I havent bothered w last few trips. Last time I ate there wasnt that great. But i did have a great meal in yrs past. Its not on my short list for next time.

tmosier
06-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Teppan Edo ☺☺☺☻
....The food is rarely exceptional and the food is usually overpriced. Teppan Edo is no different.... if you have a great Japanese steakhouse at home, eat there and save the Disney meal slot for something you can’t get on a random Tuesday next door to the local pet store....

Well said! (funny note-- I thought it read "AT the local pet store", which in my opinion would also be a good description of Teppan Edo's food!)

tmosier
06-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Really, was it the atmosphere, service, food or just the overall experience?

Atmosphere: crowded, hard to navigate to the table, and who wants to walk up all those stairs after a day of walking in the parks!

Service: fast, an uncomfortable amount of bowing

Food: mediocre at best, overpriced, rice was a huge disappointment

Overall experience: waste of time and money

I would only cautiously recommend Teppan Edo to someone who hadn't been to this type of restaurant before.

disneygirlie11
06-04-2008, 09:19 AM
LOVE LOVE LOVE Teppan Edo. It's one of my favorites. Also Chefs de France is pretty hit or miss. The first two times we ate there it was outstanding. The last time (in Sept. '06) it was just okay. Nothing special at all. I think they don't pay as much attention to detail as before. They used to allow me to get a Crepe from the restaurant upstairs and it was TO DIE FOR. The best thing I have ever eaten. Last time, they wouldn't allow it for whatever reason. Mixed reviews of Yak & Yeti and I've never been to Tutto Italia

Hull-onian
06-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Okay, you're probably not going to like this but here's my worthless opinion.

Tutto Italia ☺☺☺☻
People shouldn’t leave a $100 a person dinner saying “pretty good”. People should leave with their schedules in their hand trying to figure out when they can fit in another visit.

First of all your opinions are great:thumbsup:. You are very well educated in Disney dining.
That being said, I have never paid $100 per person per meal anywhere on Disney property. However, I would consider Victoria and Albert's. I have never heard a negative word about this restaurant.

Tygger7
06-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Okay, I have to chime in. We ate at Teppan Edo for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and it was the BEST meal of our trip....even better than California Grill, IMHO. My DH was actually dreading eating here, as he doesn't like anything "too out there"....very much a steak & chicken guy.

Service was awesome, and the chef (a young woman...I wish I could remember her name right now...) was entertaining, but not over the top. Personally, I loved the atmosphere. The Japanese set the standard when it comes to being respectful, and it's refreshing to actually feel special in a restaurant.

All of our food was cooked to perfection, and we all had something different: I had filet, my DH had steak & chicken, and my DD had chicken & shrimp.

My DH rarely raves about meals, but he hasn't stopped commenting about Teppan Edo. He has placed it on our "must do" list and I agree. Not sure when the previous posters were there, but as of two weeks ago, it was top notch. :thumbsup:

avantgardeinker
06-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Of the places you've listed the only one I've been to is Chefs de France. The service was excellent and the food was impeccable. Get the lobster bisque. Even my 2 yr old like it. The atmosphere is really nice, but not so nice you're afraid to take your small kids in. I would definitely recommend it!!

:mickey:

bruin1344
06-04-2008, 01:26 PM
i enjoyed the Japan one, wasnt crazy about the French one, and never tried the other two

tmosier
06-04-2008, 04:09 PM
.... Not sure when the previous posters were there, but as of two weeks ago, it was top notch. :thumbsup:

I should've mentioned that I was at Teppan Edo the end of November 2007.

When you were recently there, what kind of rice came with your dinner?

SpecJoe Magic
06-04-2008, 08:38 PM
My sister and brother-in-law ate at Teppan Edo about a week ago, and they were very pleased with their experience.

r4kids
06-04-2008, 09:31 PM
We have pretty much made our decision.

Le Cellier- dinner
Ohana- dinner
Aloha show X 2 TS- dinner
CRT X 2 TS- dinner
Tokyo dining- dinner
Chefs de France- dinner
Coral Reef dinner
50's prime Time- dinner
Yak and Yeti- dinner
Akershaus bkft
Biergarten(sp) dessert- OOP

I need one more though. Any suggestions?

Natazu
06-04-2008, 10:43 PM

Le Cellier- dinner
Ohana- dinner
CRT X 2 TS- dinner
Tokyo dining- dinner
Chefs de France- dinner
Coral Reef dinner
50's prime Time- dinner
Yak and Yeti- dinner
Akershaus bkft

That's a wonderful list, fun and enjoyable.

For your last one, there are a few 1TS places I love and want to throw out there:
Grand Floridian Cafe, Wolfgang Puck Cafe, Olivia's, & of course as you know, Marrakesh.

Oh, a quick clarification. I don't hate Teppan Edo. They have good food. I just tend to skip it at Disney in favor of places we don't have at home.

Hammer
06-05-2008, 12:11 AM

Le Cellier- dinner
Ohana- dinner
CRT X 2 TS- dinner
Tokyo dining- dinner
Chefs de France- dinner
Coral Reef dinner
50's prime Time- dinner
Yak and Yeti- dinner
Akershaus bkft

Nice selections. As many know, I disagree with Jym on Chefs De France. Is it the best French bistro on US soil I've ever eaten at? Of course not; that's reserved to the Blue Angel which was a Steven Starr restaurant in Philadelphia before he expanded his restaurant empire to NYC and having restaurants featured in the summer blockbuster Sex and the City, but it is a decent substitute.

Biergarten is a buffet, so you would be paying $26.99 per adult at dinner time for dessert. Is there a specific German dessert you are looking to eat?

r4kids
06-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Nice selections. As many know, I disagree with Jym on Chefs De France. Is it the best French bistro on US soil I've ever eaten at? Of course not; that's reserved to the Blue Angel which was a Steven Starr restaurant in Philadelphia before he expanded his restaurant empire to NYC and having restaurants featured in the summer blockbuster Sex and the City, but it is a decent substitute.

Biergarten is a buffet, so you would be paying $26.99 per adult at dinner time for dessert. Is there a specific German dessert you are looking to eat?

My Mom is German and would like to eat here. The problem is nobody else likes the food. They didn't appear to have a kids menu. She also thought the kids would enjoy the show.

Natazu
06-05-2008, 09:00 AM
As many know, I disagree with Jym on Chefs De France. S'ok Cousin, I still love you.

Mickey'sGirl
06-05-2008, 09:06 AM
My Mom is German and would like to eat here. The problem is nobody else likes the food. They didn't appear to have a kids menu. She also thought the kids would enjoy the show.
There are some traditional american choices on the buffet for the "kids" -- also different kinds of sausages (hot dogs) and noodles (german spaghetti)..... My DH is German stock, and we were so reluctant to go for many years..... when we finally did, we all really enjoyed the food and the show. I think you'll be surprised!:mickey:

r4kids
06-05-2008, 10:43 AM
We have added Biergarten to our list :mickey: