PDA

View Full Version : Dining reviews from last week

ChewyStriker
06-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Below are reviews of restaurants we visited on our trip last week. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Lunch at Whispering Canyon Cafe: DH had the pulled pork sandwich and loved it. My 3 yr old DS and I shared the skillet - which was ok. Liked everything but the beans and ribs - which I couldn't even get off the bone. My son loved the corn and chicken. DH had the endless milkshake - chocolate - and didn't even finish one because he didn't like it. For dessert - DH had the chocolate cake (which he almost always likes anywhere) and I had the banana dessert with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce - heavenly! In all, I give it a B-.

Dinner at Kona Cafe: DH had the coconut almond chicken and absolutely raved about it. I had the pineapple teryaki steak - also heavenly, but really filling as it was a huge portion with mashed potatoes and broccoli. DS had the hot dog and fries - alway a big hit right now. Since we were on the dining plan, we both had the kiluea torte - like a lava cake - and it was SOOO good. Very rich though, could only eat half. Grade: A, we'll definitely return here.

BF at Crystal Palace: This is always a favorite for us and we particularly enjoy the puffed french toast and frittata. The fruit also always is really fresh. My son loved the glazed donut holes and scrambled eggs. Characters here were great, but a little slow. Pooh had just passed our area when we were seated, so we missed him because after a hour there, he had still not come back around. We saw all the others though, and had a birthday cupcake, card and confetti on our table for my son's birthday. Grade: A-.

Dinner at Garden Grill: This was a first visit for us and I was apprehensive, but loved it. The food was great and tasted extremely fresh. I particularly enjoyed the salad and catfish. My son loved the catfish as well, and also the green beans. My only criticism is that the initial portion they bring you is quite small. Characters here were great and really hammed it up, making for wonderful photos. Grade: A-.

Dinner at San Angel Inn: I know this one gets a lot of negative reviews, but DH and I love it here. Maybe the atmosphere compensates for what many consider not-so-great food. DH alwasy has the Mole Poblano and I always have the Plato Mexicano and we feel we've never had a bad meal. This time around, we also had a great raisin bread pudding dessert - really great and unique. Oh, and the frozen lime margaritas are the best! Grade: A.

All in all, great dining on this trip.

cal5755
06-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Wow... thanks for those great reviews.... with the exception of the San Angel Inn we have adr's at all those restaurants between our sept and nov. trips. I am glad you rated them so well... we have never done CP for breakfast and are excited to try it.... never done GG either and we have ADR's for our first night... sounds like a perfect start to our vacation (we have lunch that day at Akersush).

In Nov. Mom and I will be trying Kona for dinner and WC for lunch so it was nice to see your reviews for those as well. We have never tried either one.

Young@Heart
06-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the reviews. :mickey:

SBETigg
06-02-2008, 06:19 PM
So great that you really enjoyed your dining experiences. Too bad you missed Pooh, but still sounds like a special meal. I enjoy San Angel Inn, too. Thanks for the reports.

tinkerbell04
06-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the great reviews! Glad you enjoyed your meals!

Crow
06-02-2008, 10:15 PM
nice.
i dont really like WCC either
Kona was good
Garden Grill was pretty good too
Im thinking of going back to San ANgel.
thanks