PDA

View Full Version : Backstage Safari Tour--AK

Chaswdw
06-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Our guide, Paul (former biology teacher) introduced himself and gave us a short personal resume. His attitude and enthusiasm were contagious. There were 11 of us on the tour. We all had earpieces for Paul's microphone so we heard everything.
A few highlights are, patting the 40 year old white rhino that is used as a teaser male for breeding and watching him work his toys, learning that they only have African elephants, seeing how food is prepared for the animals (pinkies), seeing and talking to the people in the veterinary hospital, finding out that the male lion hogs the air conditioning, grabbing our personal safari truck out of the Kilamanjaro Safari que, and so much more. We also discovered that Disney has a non trivial role in conserving species.
At the end of the tour Paul gave us a Backstage Safari trading pin not available for sale. A funny detail on the pin is that it shows mainly elephant butts :funny: as well as the associated words about the tour.
The walking is not bad. I have spinal cord damage and a bum leg and I managed it in 90+ temps. So..no excuses, see it, some of the cost supports animal conservation.:high5:

hoop de do
06-01-2008, 08:02 PM
My son and I had a similar experience. How many people can say they patted a White Rhino's nose. We plan on doing it again and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in wildlife and conservation practices. :elephant: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Friend of Figment
06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
What time does this tour start? I am trying to figure out if we can work it in around our ADRs.

JPL
06-01-2008, 10:24 PM
A group of us took this tour back in October and it was awesome:thumbsup: The tour starts right before the park opens we actually walked past the opening show right before it started.

Chaswdw
06-02-2008, 06:37 AM
Be at the far left park entrance turnstile by 8:15 with photo ID for the 8:30 tour. This was the time for us.:yes:

alilprincessmom99
06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Do you need to make a reservation for this tour, or do you just show up? It sounds like something my DH would really enjoy, as AK is his favorite park. I would like to make plans for it around my ADR's.

Chaswdw
06-02-2008, 06:47 PM
The tours require a reservation, up to 180 days in advance. :call: 407-939-8687. :elephant:

Tinkpink
06-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Does anyone know the fee for this tour?

r4kids
06-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Does anyone know the fee for this tour?

ditto and any age limit?