PDA

View Full Version : I just have to tell someone & can't tell my DS, YET!

princessjojo
06-01-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm just so excited for my younger DS and need to tell someone, but can't say anything to him until Monday after he gets home from school.

Here in NC we have the dreaded end of grade test(EOG) which consist of, for the lower grades Reading & Math, and upper grades Reading, Math, & Science, scored as 1or2 as failing, 3or4 as passing. DS HATES them because he isn't the great student. He struggles so hard in school just to make B's & C's. He gets the lessons, but just has no idea how to put it on paper or answer the questions when it comes to test time. With regards to these standardized test, if he doesn't make a certain score, he must be retained or attend summer school where he could re-test. That would mean no WDW next week.

Anyway, their school finished their EOG's on Friday and their scores were back late that same day, after they left school, but many of the teachers were there Fri. evening for a 5th grade dance. Well, I saw DS's teacher at our pool on Sat and she told me that all of her homeroom students passed their EOG's. Since Colbey is one of her homeroom students that would include him. He has worried about that stinkin' test since school started in Aug. and would wake up at night all last week worried about that thing.

I want to tell him so bad, but I don't know exactly what his score was, and want to actually have it in my hand and know for certain before I get his hopes up. Anyway, I am so excited for him because he has worked so hard, just to make a bare minimum 3 just so he could pass it. They actually raised the criteria last year making the test harder.

Thank you for letting me share!! I'm just so exicted for him and can't wait to tell him, or better, let him tell me!!! I have never looked so forward to a weekend ending & Monday getting here in my life.

disneydeb
06-01-2008, 08:33 AM
I am so glad to hear he passed! As a teacher, sometimes I thnk we put too much pressure on our children to pass standardized tests.

Have fun! Celebrate the moment!

DISNEYLOVERS5
06-01-2008, 08:40 AM
glad to hear that he passed so did my son he is also in the 5th grade in NC

cal5755
06-01-2008, 11:29 AM
WOOHOOO doing the happy :dance: for Colbey!! He will be so proud of himself...I don't know how you are going to keep that secret lol.

My DS 12 gets himself crazy when it comes to testing too. He is in 7th grade right now and he does excel in school but the emphasis the school system puts on these tests are insane. I think the pressure surrounding this testing is almost cruel. DS will pace like crazy the night before his tests and get the typical nervous belly ache etc. DD 8 (grade 3) asked me " what if I do wrong answers like on my homework, will the test say I'm too dumb for 3rd grade?" ARGGG I dislike testing time as much as they do because of the pressure they feel.

Anyway... I hope Colbey has a super magical vacation... he certainly deserves it!!

pink
06-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Good for your DS! That must be killing you to see him sweating it out and you can't say anything. I bet he will be beyond relieved when he finds out. :mickey:

JMTStone
06-01-2008, 11:40 AM
GREAT NEWS! I'm sure he'll be just as excited Monday afternoon as today. Try to keep him busy so he doesn't fret. I agree about having it in your hand before saying anything. Its smart.

Yippie! You're going to WDW! "Colbey, you've just passed a big test, what are you going to do next... " (Queue big ears!)

andreallybadeggs
06-01-2008, 12:22 PM
I am also a teacher and dread standardized tests as much as the kids...so much of our school year revolves around these things. Understand the need for data, accountability, all that but especially for our younger students--UGGH!
I have two children that can take the top off any test w/out trying but my third has always struggled so I understand your frustration.
So-- congratulations to your son and to you for being such a supportive parent. I would let him tell you and then say "I know!!! I've been bursting all weekend." Then snap a picture of him with that big smile and go out for ice cream, a round of mini golf, a hike in the woods-- whatever is a treat for the both of you.
Way to go! :thumbsup:

KineGirl
06-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Yayyy! :secret: It will be double great news for him!! :party: Poor little guy stressing himself out.. :(

We're also in NC. My girl is in 11th grade and let me tell ya - the EOGs dont get any easier or less stressful in the upper grades (middle school). She takes her EOCs next week and is stressing because those scores coupled with teacher recommendations and class grades are how they decide who will go into advanced placement classes. Shes in AP English and World History this year and would like to continue in English and Science next year. And of course it ALL matters for college! Like a vicious circle.
Anyways Congrats to Colbey!!!!! And tell him we all said have lots of fun - he deserves it!

BluewaterBrad
06-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Way to go Colbey!! Good job also Mom!:thumbsup::mickey:

Patty
06-02-2008, 09:23 PM
O.K. so now it is Monday night!! How excited was Colbey when he came home??

I hate any form of standardized tests, and my son really struggles with them also!!

Way to go Colbey!!

princessjojo
06-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Oh it was so worth the wait! I almost died waiting until the end of the school day to find out. So, I decided to go to the school early, but then sat in the parking lot for about 1/2 hour becasue they were in an assembly. Afterwards, I went to his classroom and he immediately saw me. Colbey jumped up so quickly his chair fell over and when he got to the door, he looked at me with this goober grin, like he had no clue what was going on. Then Patricia, his teacher, said he had been like that all day long, but she allowed it because he as well as the others deserved to be happy for themselves.

Well, he just ran and jumped down the hallway and just stopped, turned to me and said, "well, what did you expect, I told you I would pass. I just pretend the rest of the year." I could have choked him at that point, but knew he was just kidding.

Now he wants a new video game, but I'll have to think on that one. The giving mom in me wants to get it for him, but the "do it to better yourself, not for me" mom is saying that kids shouldn't expect to get rewarded everytime they fulfill what's their "responsibility" as a child. But the ME mom is going to kick that yucky mom to the curb next week and get both boys almost whatever they want in the land of plenty, aka WDW.

All I could do though was hug him and praise him for working hard and putting forth his best effort. And that made the biggest impact on him because he felt proud of himself and that he wasn't a failure when compared to the other kids in his class. He did say though that he guessed that all that homework was worth it now. But he still didn't like it.

Thank you all for your kind words. I'll be sure to let him read them. It will make him feel wonderful.

KineGirl
06-02-2008, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=princessjojo;1647161]Well, he just ran and jumped down the hallway and just stopped, turned to me and said, "well, what did you expect, I told you I would pass. I just pretend the rest of the year." I could have choked him at that point, but knew he was just kidding. [QUOTE]

Oh you didnt tell us he was cute AND rotten :stitch: ;)

You guys are gonna have so much fun!!!!

tinkerbellybutton
06-02-2008, 11:29 PM
:yay: Yay for Colbey. He should pat himself on the back! Tell him congratulations from us!

DisneyWhirled
06-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Congrats!! Enjoy your WDW vacation, too!

I love your son's name. Although spelled slightly different, my son shares the same name (Colby). There are not too many Colby/Colbey's around!

princessjojo
06-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Congrats!! Enjoy your WDW vacation, too!

I love your son's name. Although spelled slightly different, my son shares the same name (Colby). There are not too many Colby/Colbey's around!
I kinda liked the name because it was different. I know of a girl here with the same name, but hers is spelled Kolbie. He used to hate his name because he and another kid, Chip, would get picked on. They were known as Colbey Cheese and Chocolate Chip (not reflective of race or anything, but for a teenager that was the best they could do at the time).

JMTStone
06-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Woo HOO! I'm glad you held it in. I'm very glad he did it. You are practically beaming with pride (don't turn it down, its WARM) over him and that's why you are considering the game. He's a good kid!

Have a great time at WDW. We'll be there the same time as you!!!!