PDA

View Full Version : Pal Mickey...Is he worth it?

cincymommy
05-31-2008, 10:42 PM
While doing Disney vacation research, my husband and I stumbled across the information about Pal Mickey. It seems like it would be a really cool thing to purchase, but it is pricey. Is it worth the $60, or should we just save our money? :mickey:

KineGirl
05-31-2008, 11:09 PM
We got one when they first came out and LOVE ours! We even did a Us & Mickey trip last year where we took pics of him on/participating on our favorite rides and made our own "hidden Mickeys". Hes super cute, tells silly jokes and can be really helpful with letting you know if there is a short line in the area. There is some rumor that he will be phased out but Im not sure its verified yet. Even if he is, they would not deactivate his interactive areas - Im assuming this based on other interactive products Disney has phased out and they still work.

:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-31-2008, 11:47 PM
I got more of a kick out of mine than my 2.5 year old nephew got out of the one I bought him.

KineGirl
05-31-2008, 11:59 PM
I got more of a kick out of mine than my 2.5 year old nephew got out of the one I bought him.

LOL us too.. our DD was 14 when she asked to have one! We still get a kick out of the little guy and always bring him to MK :mickey:

Young@Heart
06-01-2008, 12:28 AM
We're thinking of getting one this year. Is he really able to tell you if lines are short or long for certain attractions? That would be so cool! :mickey:

KineGirl
06-01-2008, 01:23 AM
We're thinking of getting one this year. Is he really able to tell you if lines are short or long for certain attractions? That would be so cool! :mickey:

He will tell you if there is a short line in the area/Land that youre in. Of course Murphys Law is - youre already standing in a line for another ride ;)

Young@Heart
06-01-2008, 01:34 AM
He will tell you if there is a short line in the area/Land that youre in. Of course Murphys Law is - youre already standing in a line for another ride ;)

:laughing:
Thanks! I intended to get one last time, but we ended up spending a TON more on food and lodging driving down and back (from MA) that I had no money in the budget left for him. :(
I think this time, I might buy one before we leave, so that's not an issue. :thumbsup:

DISNEYLOVERS5
06-01-2008, 07:24 AM
I bought one for our upcoming trip and I have fun with him at home too, he sings and tells jokes and hearing his voice makes you feel like your back at Disney.

Ropachs
06-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Where have you all bought yours? Sounds like we may just HAVE to have one!

KineGirl
06-01-2008, 07:36 PM
You can buy him at alot of stores in WDW :mickey:

Gottaluvgoof
06-02-2008, 10:44 AM
MY DD14 has a couple of them. She loves them to death. He is really cute. The reason she has more than one, is as new attractions open, they are not programmed into the older Pal Mickeys. Anyway, she loves him and has spent her hard earned money on two of them already. I don't doubt she won't go for another this September, since TSM is another new attraction.

They are available in your resort. She goes to purchase hers as I am checking in. They are also available in stores in the parks. :mickey:

Ropachs
06-02-2008, 12:33 PM
I hate to bring up a negative thought, but have any of you worried about your Mickey being stolen? I guess we'd bring him on lots of the rides with us, but if we left him in the stroller....

KineGirl
06-02-2008, 12:35 PM
I hate to bring up a negative thought, but have any of you worried about your Mickey being stolen? I guess we'd bring him on lots of the rides with us, but if we left him in the stroller....

Ive never worried about it b/c I treat him like a wallet - I never leave him anywhere. The new ones have a loop so that you can keep him on the lanyard.

I would never leave anything of value in a stroller (even though those years are well behind us)

KineGirl
06-02-2008, 12:36 PM
MY DD14 has a couple of them. She loves them to death. He is really cute. The reason she has more than one, is as new attractions open, they are not programmed into the older Pal Mickeys. Anyway, she loves him and has spent her hard earned money on two of them already. I don't doubt she won't go for another this September, since TSM is another new attraction.

They are available in your resort. She goes to purchase hers as I am checking in. They are also available in stores in the parks. :mickey:

The Pal Mickeys can be updated :blush: You do it at MK at guest relations if they dont update on their own upon entering the park. I have the original Pal Mickey and he is up to date on all the new rides. They have receptive chips not programs for the rides. Only the jokes and such are programmed. Thats (chip) how he is able to tell about lines in the parks.

Fryguy
06-02-2008, 01:37 PM
WE have one and the kids get a kick out of him. We got ours on-line at a certain 4 letter auction site for about half price. The people who where selling it just returned so it was up to date.

MickeyandTink
06-02-2008, 03:59 PM

Be sure to pay attention to where you put him on the rides. DD left hers underneath the seat on Star Tours last year and when we went back a few minutes later (once we realized he was misssing), he was gone. I've posted the story several times before about how he was replaced by some over the top work by the CM's, but we were much more careful to keep PM on our person.

Having said all that, he was a lot of fun and we'll be taking him back again this year.

FaithTrustPixieDust
06-02-2008, 04:11 PM
I have posted this same question before, and some responders talked about WDW testing a new interactive product that works with a Nintendo DS. If this is coming out soon, I wonder if it will replace My Pal Mickey? I've always considered buying one myself, but now am wondering if they will be phased out.

Anyone have any more info about this? :confused:

Jasper
06-02-2008, 04:19 PM
While he is fun, he really is not that much help at doing the parks. If you spend some time here at Intercot you will know more about how to do things at the park then what Pal Mickey will give you. As for the information about shorter lines, that is of VERY limited help because it only gives you information about the land that you are in and you can normally see for yourself what ride has short lines.

We did buy one because when they first came out my wife just absolutely had to have one. However, after having had one I doubt we would spend the money to replace him.

Gottaluvgoof
06-02-2008, 05:26 PM
The Pal Mickeys can be updated :blush: You do it at MK at guest relations if they dont update on their own upon entering the park. I have the original Pal Mickey and he is up to date on all the new rides. They have receptive chips not programs for the rides. Only the jokes and such are programmed. Thats (chip) how he is able to tell about lines in the parks.

We had read something about this in the past, but we were told they could not be updated anymore. How recently have you updated yours?

Boojum
06-02-2008, 09:56 PM
...Pal Mickey ended up causing some unforeseen problems with us.

To begin with, we had two little girls and only one Mickey. (We didn't get another due to a very limited trip budget, plus the one we had was a loaner). Poor ol' Mickey was the victim of several impromptu tug-of-war matches.

Also, we found that whichever child had him was paying more attention to him than to the parks. Our youngest, in spite of mom's best efforts, walked into several people's rear ends because she was so intent on listening to Mickey.

After the first day, he stayed in our resort room.

KineGirl
06-02-2008, 10:02 PM
We had read something about this in the past, but we were told they could not be updated anymore. How recently have you updated yours?

last summer - Pal Mickey told me about Laugh Floor

Where did you hear that at?

Im taking him back next month and will let you know how it goes. ;)