PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain and TTA refurbishment?

Wells
05-31-2008, 08:03 PM
Anyone else heard about a long term refurbishment shut down for Space Mountain and TTA starting in early January?

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Yeah we've heard about it. I believe it's getting a similar update to California. I'm assuming the TTA is going down because of SM and Disney wanting to keep it hush-hush.

goofy for pluto
05-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Space Mountain at Disneyland Rocks!! :number1:
However I would hope that they do not change the TTA.
We love it the way it is! :mickey:

JPL
05-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Since the TTA goes through Space Mountain it is going to close for safety reasons. Disney doesn't want to send their guest through and active construction site. The SM refurb does not say anything about changes to the TTA. Although a few ideas are floating around to bring back the PeopleMover to Disneyland with an Incredibles or Meet the Robinsons theme.

kdsjjb
05-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Is this all still speculation, or has Disney actually announced this yet?

I didn't see anything in the operational updates, so do we know a timeframe yet?

Mousemates
05-31-2008, 11:53 PM
Space Mountain at Disneyland Rocks!! :number1:
However I would hope that they do not change the TTA.
We love it the way it is! :mickey:

:ditto: to your SM @ DL assessment

not so much of a :ditto: on leaving it (TTA) the same...I love the ride around Tomorrow Land and enjoy the quaintness of the ride, but IMHO it could use a little boost, or plussing or something to freshen it up a bit.

JPL
06-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Is this all still speculation, or has Disney actually announced this yet?

I didn't see anything in the operational updates, so do we know a timeframe yet?

Most reports have it going down in January 2009 after the Christmas season. The refurb time has it down for 9-11 months. While not officially announced yet the information for the refurb has come from multiple reliable sources.

kdsjjb
06-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks, Jeff.

Glad to hear that it should still be running for our November trip.

dyin tago
06-01-2008, 01:51 PM
that`s great news!

we finally made it to disneyland for a day in april and rode the redone space mountain there. the one in disneyworld is good but the new version is awesome!:coaster:

disneyworld55925592
06-01-2008, 03:46 PM
shoooot do we konw any exact dates of this refurbishment? i'll be arriving at disney on january 1st! SM is a favorite of my famlies

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Well, January 1st is still part of the peak season so I don't *think* they would close it then, but it might be the week after. Someone might have the actual date range.

BluewaterBrad
06-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Man, I will be excited about riding the refurb!:mickey:

Ian
06-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Bear in mind this is all unofficial, but I've heard from multiple reliable sources that it's going to happen ... it's just a matter of what gets done and how long it takes.

Best guess? It's down from mid-January 2009 for about a year.

Melanie
06-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Only a year? That would be great since it took much longer than that in California.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Well, they most likely still have all the plans from the update from California, know how to assemble and put together everything so there is isn't need for the longer time frame. Once they've done the first run, doing a second is easier because they already learned most of the mistakes from the first time.

Ian
06-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Only a year? That would be great since it took much longer than that in California.From what I've heard, this rehab isn't going to be as extensive as the one in DL.

They're basically rebuilding the ride from scratch and adding some new effects. I don't think WDW is getting the side-by-side seating or anything like that.

Also, it should be noted that my 12 month "estimate" was nothing but a SWAG based on rumors I've heard. ;)

Imagineer1981
06-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I would assume from working there one of the biggest changes if its not going to be redone as California, is to the operation of the attraction. Currently if SM breaks down or when it gets opened and closed in the mornings, its a long long event. When it breaks down several CMS have to go out on the track and reset every brake station. On rides like RnR its all a flip of the switch in the tower. That means it can start back up much quicker if it breaks down.

alilprincessmom99
06-02-2008, 11:09 AM
The title of the original post scared me. I thought they were going to refurb the TTA. I would hate to see that happen. I love the TTA just the way it is. As far as SM is concerned, it could use some sprucing up, so I can't wait for the refurb on that one! I am just happy to hear that they will both still be open for our trip in December!

DizneyFreak2002
06-02-2008, 11:51 AM
TTA will have to close during the refurb because it goes through Space Mountain... I haven't heard what the refurb will entail, but, I did hear the refurb should begin January 2009 and last anywhere from 12-16 months...

DisneyFanaticDargon
06-05-2008, 02:14 AM
After finally being able to experience SM at Disneyland...even though I never thought I'd be saying this...I don't think any amount of refurbishment or special effects updates could make me end up liking WDW's version more than the one at DLR even if it is the original.

magicofdisney
06-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Why can't they just drape or box off the SM tunnel and leave the TTA open?

SpecJoe Magic
06-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I don't think WDW is getting the side-by-side seating or anything like that.

I hope that's true. I can't fit into the rocket at Disneyland because of the side-by-side seating and those small individual lap bars.

RBrooksC
06-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I spoke to CM several years ago about SM. The ride had been offline several times that day and I asked about it. She told me the mainframe was having issues. I got a chuckle and ask why are they still on a 1970s mainframe (albeit an upgraded one...) and I was told that it would take at least a year and all new tracks would need to be laid for that to be done.

So, while I haven't heard anything about Space Mountain shutting down for a year, it wouldn't surprise me because if they are going to shut it down and redo the ride, it would make sense to upgrade everything.

SpaceMtn101
06-10-2008, 12:03 PM
its still planned for january when i talk to my cms who are my friends who work at space and engineering ....

the reason there is no work order yet is there are few refurbs before it and if any of them run over the allotted time space will get pushed back. my friend who is enginneer says we probably wont see a work order til sometime in fall.

but honestly space NEEDS a refurb bad... the capacity level it is suppose to do an hour is rarely hit because of 101s and guests who need assistance. i think wait times would decrease (depending on the time of yr) if there was a different setup for guests who need assistance

disneyorvegas
06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I am genuinely amazed by the people who are blown away by the Disneyland version of Space Mtn. The DL version is smooth as glass and the sound system is great, but it's a BORING ride! There is almost nothing exciting about it, its TOO smooth. The WDW SM definitely needs a refurb, no doubt about it, but in its current state it is an ICON. It requires operational/funtionality upgrades, but in my opinion if its turned into the DL ride it will be unfortunate.

Ian
06-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Why can't they just drape or box off the SM tunnel and leave the TTA open?I'd guess it's a safety issue. You can't really have guests passing through what is an active construction zone.

I'm sure that's some kind of regulations they'd be in violation of if they did that.

teamblackwell
06-11-2008, 01:29 AM
I am genuinely amazed by the people who are blown away by the Disneyland version of Space Mtn. The DL version is smooth as glass and the sound system is great, but it's a BORING ride! There is almost nothing exciting about it, its TOO smooth. The WDW SM definitely needs a refurb, no doubt about it, but in its current state it is an ICON. It requires operational/funtionality upgrades, but in my opinion if its turned into the DL ride it will be unfortunate.

I totally agree,
The DL version is a dark and fast ride with no real character.
The best part of the DL version is the built-in sound system which could be integrated in the the old WDW ride vehicles (I would assume, its not rocket science.) Sorry, had to throw that in.

MatterhornMiss
06-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Only a year? That would be great since it took much longer than that in California.

From what I understand, the Space Mtn refurb at DLR was to include at least one inversion. However, when they actually got inside the building, they found they didn't have enough height to allow for one. So the plans had to be changed during the middle of the refurb, taking longer than expected.

DisneyFanatic11
06-14-2008, 02:19 PM
As long as they don't get rid of my Star Tunnel music in the queue, then I think I might be a bit alright with refurbishments for SM. It's a bit painful to go on it now, with all the bumps and turns. However, refurbishment/changing of the TTA is totally forbidden. :)

Brownie54
06-14-2008, 08:11 PM
As a man heading into his mid fifties, I hope for a smoother ride......selfishly of course!:D

dolphinmickey9170
06-14-2008, 08:36 PM
:mickey:
Well, they most likely still have all the plans from the update from California, know how to assemble and put together everything so there is isn't need for the longer time frame. Once they've done the first run, doing a second is easier because they already learned most of the mistakes from the first time.

Very well stated, Jessica. I didn't think of it that way!!

It will be sad as it is Katy's (DD17) favorite ride. But, if the referb is going to be so much better, I think she'll be okay!!

dolphinmickey9170
06-14-2008, 08:40 PM
but honestly space NEEDS a refurb bad... the capacity level it is suppose to do an hour is rarely hit because of 101s and guests who need assistance. i think wait times would decrease (depending on the time of yr) if there was a different setup for guests who need assistance

I'm sorry, but what is a 101?

SpecJoe Magic
06-15-2008, 03:44 AM
I'm sorry, but what is a 101?

A 101 is a Disney code for when a major part of an attraction breaks down, and the ride has to be closed until it's fixed. For example, the auctioneer in Pirates of the Caribbean is considered a major show element. When it breaks down, that causes a 101, and the attraction is supposed to shut down until the problems are fixed.

dolphinmickey9170
06-15-2008, 02:49 PM
A 101 is a Disney code for when a major part of an attraction breaks down, and the ride has to be closed until it's fixed. For example, the auctioneer in Pirates of the Caribbean is considered a major show element. When it breaks down, that causes a 101, and the attraction is supposed to shut down until the problems are fixed.

Thanks, SpecJoe Magic!! I had no idea. Makes sense now.:mickey:

scoot241
06-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Space Mountain definitely needs some TLC. Please leave the queue music as-is, however. That's some of my favorite music in the park.

Since they have to close the TTA anyway, it could use a little cleaning up, but don't change it.

brownie
06-16-2008, 09:46 AM
We never made it on Space Mountain at Disneyland when we were there last June. I'm hoping that if they are going to rehab Magic Kingdom's, we're able to get there before it happens. Our next trip is being planned to take place after the Wizzarding World of Harry Potter opens at Universal Studios in late 2009/early 2010. Space Mountain is one of my favorites, and I would like to be able to ride it when we go.

Meteora
06-16-2008, 10:57 AM
I must admit, I'm sad about the TTA. We sort of irrationally love that ride, and we'll be there January 9th-16th, so we'll probably just miss it unless something gets pushed back.