PDA

View Full Version : Hopping (Xtreme Resort Variety)

Mousemates
05-31-2008, 07:35 PM
On these boards, we periodically follow threads on various hopping topics...and as we all know "pool hopping is very bad" :nono: and "park hopping is very good" ::thumbsup:. My question is another form of hopping, Resort Hopping,that has pretty much become standard practice for us...i.e we almost always split our stay among various resorts...sampling them all to experience the best each one has to offer. (We "kind of have a sort-of goal" of having tried them all before our youngest graduates from high school (he's in 7th grade right now). So with that said three things:

I was wondering how many ( if any) others there are out there who routinely do and enjoy the split stay thing

Whats the greatest number of resorts you've done in a single trip]. (We're actually doing three resorts on an upcoming trip later this month...ASMo, CB, and most likely the Swan)

If you have any tips for keeping the transfer process easy and problem free.

buzznwoodysmom
05-31-2008, 09:39 PM
The most we've ever "hopped" to were 4. The only reason we did that is because we kept adding days last minute and we basically just went with whatever resorts were available. We had booked 6 nights at WL, but added one night to the beginning at Pop Centry. Then we added one day to the end of our trip less than a month before we left at Shades of Green. Then a few days before we left we added yet another night and all we could get was the Swan resort. It was fun trying all the different resorts and helped us out for future trips. For instance, we would stay at either Swan or Dolphin again in a heart beat for the location and great price using a military discount. However, even though DH is military I don't think we'll be rushing back to Shades of Green, we just didn't like it that much and we hated the bus transportation. Do I think we'll hop to 4 resorts again? Probably not, but you never know when you may want to add on a night or two last minute!:blush:

mouseketeer mom
05-31-2008, 09:51 PM
We like to split our stay between two resorts. Same thing. We like to sample the resorts and return to those we love. We almost always include the Poly in our split stays, and then choose another to try, always ending at the Poly, since we know we love it. In August we are splitting between the Poly and the Beach Club. We have stayed BC before, but never club level there, so that will be a fun first for us. One time we split between AKL club level and the villas at WL. We were happy we split it because we learned we didn't love AKL, so were happy to get to the villas. The biggest hurdle for me is staying super organized thru the first half of our stay, so moving day is easier. With 3 kids, that can be a challenge. But we love it, feels like two seperate trips!

celestesmommie
05-31-2008, 09:52 PM
We will be doing POFQ & the Poly this time. Last year it was POR to the Beach Club

Seasonscraps
05-31-2008, 11:47 PM
The most I have done is three resorts in one trip. The first night was at the Wilderness Lodge, then 7 nights at the BWV through DVC, then another 2 nights at POR. We booked the BWV first & decided to come in a day early and while we were there we decided to add a couple extra nights.

Tips for Resort Hopping...
Work your way up in hotel grades so that you are staying at the nicest hotel at the end of your stay.

Try to pack your bags accordingly - we had one bag that had things we needed for the night at the WL so we didnt have to touch our main suitcase until we got to the BW.

Take time to explore each resort - they all have something unique to offer.

Crow
06-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Ive done 2 & 3.
in sept i will be doing 3 or 4 i think
if they are DIsney resorts its easy, just ask bell services to transfer luggage.
i usually go from value & work up

Mulan
06-01-2008, 10:14 AM
We started the resort hopping years ago because of the time of year. We always stay Christmas past New Year's. Price wise we were moving Holiday to value. So holiday pricing is always at a moderate and value is always a deluxe. It is so easy for us to move. We pack for two vacations. That way we aren't lugging in clothes we don't need yet. We drive so the other suitcases are in the car if we need anything.

We too are trying to stay at all of the resorts. We're almost there!

LucyLou
06-02-2008, 08:27 AM
We will be doing POFQ & the Poly this time. Last year it was POR to the Beach Club

We did POFQ & Poly last year.It was such a great combo. Thinking of doing it again next year. You will love both.

Ian
06-02-2008, 02:21 PM
We done 4 (although in fairness, two weren't Disney hotels).

I can't say I'm a big fan, really. It kinda messes up a good portion of your trip packing/unpacking/repacking, etc.

I wouldn't mind it if each resort had a significantly long stay, though. Like if I went for two weeks and did one week at one resort and one at another, I could deal with that.

Jasper
06-02-2008, 02:40 PM
We have never done more than two in a single trip. We also find it to be more of a hassle than it is really worth. Yes, we did have Disney handle the transfer of luggage but we had issues with getting all of the plan packages worked out because we technically ended one package and started a new one with the resort move. Plus the pre-planning of what to pack in which suitcase and all that sort of thing was not worth it.

However, as someone else has already said if the trip were long enough to give us at least a week at each resort I may look at it differently. But then again the resort is usually the least important part of our visit. We are hardcore park people and don't really do anything more than sleep, shower, and catch a late evening swim before we retire for the night at the resort so luxury and amenities don't matter very much to us.

teambricker04
06-02-2008, 03:47 PM
In August we are splitting between the Poly and the Beach Club. We have stayed BC before, but never club level there, so that will be a fun first for us. Ooooh. BC is GREAT and the Poly is on our "list"... I am jealous!

Our last trip at the beginning of May was a LONG one, and we added a day and couldn't get a room at the BC so we did an AS as we were coming in at 9pm (that was a mess, but that is a whole OTHER story!) The transfer was easy, and with that we would split a trip but probably not more than once. We were on a short stop to Indy from Denver this time, so really it was like we transferred a couple of times and had to pack accordingly.

We got upgraded to the Club level at the BC and LOVED it. This is something we would pay for, and with that said, if we couldn't afford to do it for an entire trip we would resort hop.

Tigerinvestigator
06-02-2008, 04:08 PM
We love to resort hop! In May 07 we stayed at the Beach Club two days, switched to the Animal Kingdom Lodge for 5 days and then finished at the Grand Floridian for three days (Our first ever GF stay). It was a great experience but one we will probably never be able to afford again.:thumbsup: