PDA

View Full Version : Problem at work

pink
05-31-2008, 05:53 PM
I work at a car dealership as a receptionist a few nights a week and every other weekend. There are three receptionists at my job that switch off hours. However, this month another girl and myself are going away at the same time. The one girl is going away for a month from May 22nd until June 25th and I agreed to take over a huge chunk of my hours thinking that when she gets back she will take a few of mine for a week or so. However, we were still a few hours short because this is only a part-time job for me and there is no way I could be here 7 days a week. Therefore the other girl who was going away got her cousin to cover for her for two nights and she said that she would be able to cover for me when I'm only going away for 5 days- 3 of those days I work. Well I called the girl 3 times and left 2 messages and she still hasn't had the decency to call me back to at least say "I can't do it". The other receptionist said she would do one night for me but I have no one else to do the other two nights and now my job is basically telling me that I can't go away unless I find someone.

My job is not busy at all and all my job requires is answering the phone and directing customers to sales men. I'm only eighteen and this is a family vacation. I informed them I was going away the same time the other girl said she was going away for a whole month and they're giving me a hard time about 2 nights. I've tried so many people to fill in the job and no one can do it. What do you think I should do? My family already payed over 5 grand for this trip and I leave on Monday morning. I'm at the end of my rope I don't know what to do anymore. :(

biodtl
05-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Wow - that's a rough one. I guess I would try to talk to my employers again and explain that you are booked and paid. If they still hold steady, I would probably go on vacation and take the chance, simply because I would not want to lost the vacation money (or the vacation).

Do you live with your parents? If so, what do they think about it? If they are supporting you - even partially - they should have a say in what you do. If they are agreeable to it, I would promise that (if you lose your job) you will find another immediately on returning.

Like I said - this is a tough decision.

MMouse6937
05-31-2008, 09:18 PM
I agree that you should explain the whole situation to your employer again and let them know that you don't want to jeopardize your job but you have had this trip planned for a long time and it was paid for by your family.

I would still go regardless of getting coverage, they will either figure it out or not. You have done all you can to try to get your shifts covered and that's all you can do.

It's very nice at 18 you are so responsible about your job. Do the best that you can and no one can ask for more than that.

Good luck!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Not to belittle your job but this sounds like something a Temp could handle. Tell your employers that you cannot get out of this, that you gave them plenty of advance notice, that they approved both vacations at that time and that it is their resposibilty to get coverage. It's not a matter of life and death! They can get a temp and they won't even have to pay that person benefits!

Go and enjoy your vacation. If they are not willing to work with you, they aren't worth working for.

cal5755
06-01-2008, 01:14 AM
I have to agree with the above posters. GO AND ENJOY your vacation. Your employers can find someone to replace you. If you have given them ample notice that you will be taking a vacation that is all that you have to do. Especially if you are taking on extra hours to help out while this other person is on vacation. I would suggest you take a copy of the extra hours you worked to have at home. If they try and fire you records like that will be good to have for unemployment. If I were your employer I would give you the 2 days simply for stepping up and helping out when the other receptionist went on vacation.

A friend of mine went through something similar... when she returned to work her employer took her in the office and was going to let her go. My friend then told them that no where in the employee handbook did it state that she had to find "coverage" if she wanted vacation days. She had a copy of her request off page and told her employer she enjoyed working for the company and would like to stay on, however if they wanted to fire her she had all the proof she needed to collect unemployment (not only did she show him her request off form she told him she had never been written up for any infraction and that would have been the first action according to the company handbook). Her employer apologized for the misunderstanding lol and she kept her job.

I hope you have TONS of fun and lots of MAGICAL MOMENTS in Disney.... don't even worry about it while you are on vacation either!! I am sure there are plenty of places that would love a mature and responsible employee as you seem to be.:mickey:

JMTStone
06-01-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm with all posters. I would also document all the attempts you've made to try to find coverage (is that in your job description?). Have it ready for when they ask for it.

MsMin
06-01-2008, 12:05 PM
I agree, you gave them plenty of notice and they should work with you. I used to supervise a lot of ppl in mental health, aids working with dev. disabled kids and their shifts had to be covered. When someone was leaving town etc. as your case I would tell them to cover the shift but as in business problems defy gravity and go up the chain. I was always prepared to cover their shift with someone if they couldn't find help; but, asked them to do it first to save the the aggravation.
It sounds like you are doing all an employer can expect and gave them plenty of notice.
So,
tell them you thought you had it covered, you can't get out of the vacation (parents will lose money etc.) and do let your parents know that they would have the option to let you know.
:pixie: Have a wonderful trip.

pink
06-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Not to belittle your job but this sounds like something a Temp could handle

No offense taken, this is one of the parts that was driving me crazy! This job couldn't get any easier and they are making it sound like the whole store will blow up if I leave it unattended. :confused:

Mmouse and everyone else- I just went up to my boss this morning (I'm at work today) and I calmly told him what you told me to say. I told him that I did everything I could to get someone to cover my two nights and there is no one available. He just agreed and that was it. I felt like I've been fighting with all of these receptionist and other managers for weeks for no reason, he just let me go like that! I'm beyond happy and thank you for all of your help everyone. By the way, I'm not going to Disney I'm going to Turks & Caicos in the Carribean. I'm planning on writing a trip report when I get back. Thanks again! :mickey:

biodtl
06-01-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm glad it worked out! Now ou can relax and enjoy your vacation wihtout worrying about this.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-01-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm so glad everything worked out for you. You don't need any added stress when you are trying to relax and have fun. And it's ok that you aren't going to Disney. We'll forgive you! Enjoy the islands.