PDA

View Full Version : Packing own snacks?

SCbelle
05-31-2008, 02:58 PM
I think I have read on here that you can pack in your own water/snacks. Is this OK to do or do they take everything away at bag check? :(

We dropped the DDP and want to save some $$ on snack items where possible. :blush:

Thanks!:thumbsup:

stephntampa
05-31-2008, 03:09 PM
I went to MK yesterday and took a small cooler with a couple of juice boxes, water and snacks for my DS and they did not confiscate any of the items. I think you will be fine. Have fun!:mickey:

Piglet822
05-31-2008, 03:20 PM
We bring snacks and drinks all the time and we have never had a problem. We've even brought sandwiches and most of the guards joke around with us wanting to know what we brought for lunch :)
The two things they will confiscate that come to my mind right away would be glass bottles or alcohol. And as long as the cooler isn't too big. I usually bring the type of cooler that can hold 12 cans.

TheRustyScupper
05-31-2008, 04:19 PM
1) Many people do, and WDW does not stop the practice.
2) Just do not bring glass containers into the parks.

dolphinmickey9170
05-31-2008, 05:26 PM
My DH has a camelback that he uses for water, and we freeze small bottles of water and place them near the water bladder in the backpack, we then put some small sunny d bottles in there as well. In the other pocket, we put handisnacks crackers and cheese or breadsticks and cheese, small bagged snacks that you buy in a 12 pack box light pb ritz or cheese ritz. Small bags of nuts and treats you can buy at your local store are useful as well. This helps us save plenty of money in the snack department. We have never had a problem with security.

kadesha
05-31-2008, 06:12 PM
We always bring in all kinds of snacks, water, and juices for the kids. We've never had any problems at bag check! :mickey:

elmjimmlm
05-31-2008, 07:44 PM
We have always taken snacks into the parks...We take slim jims, crackers, gummies, water and anything else that we can carry...When you go thru line for bag check they see these items and never comment...

Fryguy
05-31-2008, 08:26 PM
We always bring snacks with us for the kids (and the big kids too). Never had a problem.

SCbelle
05-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks!:thumbsup:

Now I feel even better about dropping the DDP. I just could not see the six of us (two under 8yrs) eating $800 worth of food in 4 1/2 days :sick:!

We will pack plenty of water, fruit, and nuts:)

But we WILL splurge on a Dole Whip, at least I know I will, just sounds too yummy to pass up!:cloud9:

Wrigley
05-31-2008, 10:42 PM
We have always packed some snacks in our backpack and a bottle of water. We usually take snacks that are in their own little packages to keep things a little easier-granola bars, fruit snacks, crackers, etc. Just make sure if you are going when it is really hot that you don't have items that will melt in the heat!!! We ran into that problem a few times!!:mickey:

Mousemates
06-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Just make sure if you are going when it is really hot that you don't have items that will melt in the heat!!! We ran into that problem a few times!!:mickey:

You weren't the only one...the Florida heat can make an ugly mess of a couple bit e sized Mr. Goodbars in a fanny pack. :blush:

SCbelle
06-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Fanny Pack S'mores! Yummy!:)

We are going in November but I will keep the heat in mind!:D

#1donaldfan
06-01-2008, 08:30 AM
We've done it for years.....we take some water, drink mix packets, and several kinds of snacks...no melty kind of course....:mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
06-01-2008, 04:46 PM
We have done this for years as well.
I carry a backpack and we load it with bottles of partially frozen water or gatorade and assorted snacks.
The added benefit is the cold bottles help cool me off on those hot June days and as we work our way thru the goodies it creates room in the backpack for more souvenirs. :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I always bring in cans or plastic bottles of Pepsi. The guards usually ask if I'll share. We usually bring water as well and have never had any problems.

katzctkpt
06-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Our first family trip we didn't take anything and learned from the experience. We now take bottled water, mix drink packs (propel lemonade), nabs and anything that doesn't melt. Never a problem at the gate.

Young@Heart
06-01-2008, 11:47 PM
b/c of the DDP, we don't bring many snacks w/ us, but we always bring a couple water bottles, kool aid packets, and maybe some nuts or crackers packs. We've never had any problems. :thumbsup:

CleveRocks
06-02-2008, 09:43 AM
No glass (except baby food jars), no alcohol, no rolling coolers. And at AK, no straws and no flimsy plastic lids that go over fast-food drink cups.

Other than that, everything is kosher ... so to speak.

alilprincessmom99
06-02-2008, 11:12 AM
We bring snacks all the time. We have even brought uncrustables PB&J and no one said a thing about it. Like many other people have stated, no glass containers are allowed, and of course, no alcoholic beverages.

tys_mommy
06-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Just remember that the weight of frozen bottles of water can start to add up if you have to carry them around all day. We do have a stroller but space is an issue since it’s small so a cooler is out of the question for us. I found that if we take 3 or 4 bottles that by the time they are gone they are no longer cold. We take mid day breaks so if we need refreshments between meals I budget in an extra $10 a day for drinks. We then take our break and grab our own water when we go back to the parks in the evenings.

Imagineer1981
06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
no glass, no booze and you should be just fine

tinkerbellybutton
06-02-2008, 03:02 PM
You weren't the only one...the Florida heat can make an ugly mess of a couple bit e sized Mr. Goodbars in a fanny pack. :blush:

You guys aren't alone, we had a HUGE mess with granola bars, chocolate chip and non-chocolate chip.:blush: We freeze water bottles like some others, it took a little experimanting but we figured out if we fill it almost 3/4 full and freeze it doesn't burst and it stays cold for a long time. If it doesn't thaw fast enough then we put water in with it at the water fountains. We keep some in the freezer in the hotel room (we stay at a moderate, I don't know if they provide them at all hotels. they are quite small though) when we take our mid-day break we take back the ones we brought in the morning and grab the new ones for the rest of the day and just keep rotating throughout the trip. We're also kind of strange I guess, we bring boxes of cereal etc. in our suitcases and just eat breakfast in the room most of the trip. It actually saved us a lot of money.

stitcherbelle
06-11-2008, 10:39 AM
We have been there plenty of times with snacks and water in our bags! It will be fine if you take snacks and water into the park! When they check it they don't even say anything about water and snacks, so you will be fine!:mickey:

laward32
06-11-2008, 11:57 AM
On our last two trips we packed bottled water and those little crystal ice packs. We also took crackers and little cookies. I don't think we used them but twice, but they are nice to have just in case. It's hard to not want a snack from WDW, churros, popcorn, funnel cake, mickey ice cream, you get my point.:mickey:

Mousemates
06-14-2008, 11:37 AM
You guys aren't alone, we had a HUGE mess with granola bars, chocolate chip and non-chocolate chip.:blush: We freeze water bottles like some others, it took a little experimanting but we figured out if we fill it almost 3/4 full and freeze it doesn't burst and it stays cold for a long time. If it doesn't thaw fast enough then we put water in with it at the water fountains. We keep some in the freezer in the hotel room (we stay at a moderate, I don't know if they provide them at all hotels. they are quite small though) when we take our mid-day break we take back the ones we brought in the morning and grab the new ones for the rest of the day and just keep rotating throughout the trip. We're also kind of strange I guess, we bring boxes of cereal etc. in our suitcases and just eat breakfast in the room most of the trip. It actually saved us a lot of money.

We must be cut from the same piece of Disney cloth...for only have we both had melt-down issues, we also pack cereal and do breakfast in the room as well.