PDA

View Full Version : Family Members in the Same Household

Tiny e
05-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into joining DVC so that my husband and I can vacation at WDW regularly with my sister, brother-in-law, and future niece/nephew. I was looking into the Annual Pass discount and I've seen that only immediate family in the same household can get the DVC discount.

My question is: can I add my sister as one of the "owners" so that she and her family can also get the discount? She lives in a different state than me. The plan is for us all to always go together and for them to help with the maintenance fees, so I have no issue "sharing" so that should we decide AP is the best option she can get the discount, too.

Thanks!

lockedoutlogic
05-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into joining DVC so that my husband and I can vacation at WDW regularly with my sister, brother-in-law, and future niece/nephew. I was looking into the Annual Pass discount and I've seen that only immediate family in the same household can get the DVC discount.

My question is: can I add my sister as one of the "owners" so that she and her family can also get the discount? She lives in a different state than me. The plan is for us all to always go together and for them to help with the maintenance fees, so I have no issue "sharing" so that should we decide AP is the best option she can get the discount, too.

Thanks!

that dvc ownership is a legal real estate contract....a deed....in the state of Florida....

I don't believe you can add and subtract people at will....unless you do some sort of sale....

I don't think it's worth that much....

but maybe someone else knows more than i do on the subject

Tiny e
05-30-2008, 10:59 PM
But can two people that live at different addresses buy the points together so that the membership is under both their names?

I wouldn't want to add or subtract at will, just make the initial purchase with my sister.

Sorry, I don't think I was quite clear what I meant!

lockedoutlogic
05-31-2008, 12:15 AM
But can two people that live at different addresses buy the points together so that the membership is under both their names?

I wouldn't want to add or subtract at will, just make the initial purchase with my sister.

Sorry, I don't think I was quite clear what I meant!

i see what you mean....i thought you had already purchased....

that might change things....

as far as different addresses....i think the answer to that is no....

friends of ours were engaged when they went on the tour and i believe they said that they would not sell to both on one membership....the were married at WDW shortly thereafter and then purchased....

I don't know what the rules are....but i'm pretty sure they try their best not to let people "pool" memberships....

you understand that that defeats the purpose of selling the interests....and that could get out of hand quickly if entire families went in on points together.....not to mention what would happen if divorces/separations...etc would happen within a group....where one party might want to sell interest....while five others don't....

it would be a nightmare.....

i don't think you can split membership among households.....

but again.....i'm not sure

MsMin
05-31-2008, 12:36 AM
It may be that all parties have to qualify. I've known some ppl to share a deed but it's done at the time of purchase. Another word..say as the couple mentioned if one didn't have the income required or a developed credit history due to age or whatever it could cause a problem.
My dad purchased it for our family and we don't use or intend to use AP's b/c most often we go once a year. After my dad purchased it he asked about putting my name and my sisters and they said that it wouldn't be a problem but it had to be "resold" more or less. Since my sister already lost one DVC in a divorce I preferred to keep in my dad's only. We are associate members meaning we can make reservations etc. but do not own it and don't qualify for the AP discount.

dlpmikki
05-31-2008, 06:23 AM
I know a brother and sister who live in different states who are joint owners in several contracts. The sister also has some just in her own name.

ldc12377
07-14-2008, 10:02 PM
My mom is buying a DVC resale right now and she is being allowed to put my name and my brothers name on it and we all live at different addresses. I will let you know if we have any problems with it.

She wanted to put both of our names on it for several reasons and one of those reasons was so that we cold all get the discounts.

Maleficent's Dad
07-15-2008, 09:46 AM
Tread carefully is all I would suggest.
I understand your desire to help out your sister as far as the AP discount, but by adding her to your deed, she becomes part owner. If you add her and her husband to the deed, they then own 50% of your DVC property.

This means far more than you may realize.

I do not mean to imply that any of this would happen, but....
Your sis, or her husband, would be able to rent out points, book vacations for themselves or others, and take trips without your knowledge or permission.

If any party got a divorce, things could then get real messy.

If there was a family fight/feud of any type, this could be messy.

I hate to be so cynical about such a nice thing, but there are way too many legalities involved. By signing on your sis and her hubby, you become a 1/4 owner of your DVC stake.

With even the best of family situations, these type of things have happened.
I do hope that they never happen to you and yours!!! :mickey:

To me, it seems like an awfully big risk just to get her an AP discount...

wendy*darling
07-15-2008, 06:12 PM
To me, it seems like an awfully big risk just to get her an AP discount...
I have to agree here. It seems very risky just for a discount.
I would suggest each family purchase their own points. If you buy through resale you can buy less than the minimum 160 points. Decide how many you were going to purchase, and each buy half.
That way each family has their own points to use, rent, whatever. You can still vacation together and each family gets the discount. :mickey:

Of course- this is only a suggestion. You may do whatever you wish.

What you need to check (through DVC) is whether the states each of you live in allow timeshare purchases.