PDA

View Full Version : villa or standard room?

seanson
05-30-2008, 05:10 PM
i'm relatively new to the vacation club (well my parents are) and my parents are letting me and some friends use their leftover points for next spring and i was wondering if you could use your points on a standard room instead of a villa or studio at a vacation club resort? thanks!

KineGirl
05-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Yes! You can use your points for anything from a studio (this is what a "standard room" in DVC is called & has occupancy up to 4 ppl) to a 1,2 or 3 BR villa at any of the DVC resorts

Have fun!

Watch out though.. My parents were the first to buy into DVC in our family and after reading through their info I bought in 3 days later! :blush: They use theirs for trips to HH,VB &/or cruises and we use ours for WDW

wendy*darling
06-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Yes and no.

You cannot use points for a standard hotel room at a resort that has DVC villas. So, not at WL, BC, BW, AKL. There are no standard rooms at OKW or SSR.

While a DVC studio is basically the same size as a standard room, it does have some significant differences- mini-kitchen, sofa bed, etc.

You can use DVC points in any non-DVC resort. So, the Poly, Contemporary, Grand Floridian, FW Cabins and any moderate are OK. You cannot use points at the Value resorts.

What you should know however, is that the non-DVC resorts cost a lot more points per night than a DVC studio would (same size room).
For example, a studio in March at the VWL is 14pts (Mon-Fri) and a regular room at the Poly in March is 50 pts (any night).
You can get 3+ nights at the VWL for the "price" of ONE night at the Poly.

You need to consider that before deciding to use points in a non-DVC resort.

I suggest you sit down with your parents and the on-line points charts (have them go into their DVC Member account). Have them decide how many points they have "leftover" and how many nights you want to stay. Then you can figure out how best to use those points.

KineGirl
06-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Yes and no.

You cannot use points for a standard hotel room at a resort that has DVC villas. So, not at WL, BC, BW, AKL. There are no standard rooms at OKW or SSR.

Is the reason we were able to use our points 2 years ago at AKL for standard rooms because the villas werent available yet?

I never really paid attention to the standard room issue as we've always at least gotten a studio and is the smallest room shown on points charts. For that matter I didnt even know BW & BC HAD standard rooms - I assumed they were like OKW which I knew for a fact had no standard rooms :blush:

live and learn :cool:

wendy*darling
06-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Is the reason we were able to use our points 2 years ago at AKL for standard rooms because the villas werent available yet?
That's exactly right. AKL was not a DVC resort yet.

For that matter I didnt even know BW & BC HAD standard rooms - I assumed they were like OKW which I knew for a fact had no standard rooms :blush:

live and learn :cool:
The Yacht & Beach Club and the Boardwalk are wonderful "regular" resorts!
We stayed at both of them prior to becoming DVC Members- in "regular" rooms. But I love the Villas even more! :thumbsup:

But, in reference to the OP's question- use your points for DVC accomodations for the best "bang for your buck!"