PDA

View Full Version : Easy Set/Inflatable Pools?

TikiGoddess
05-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi all,

As summer approaches, I've been thinking about getting a pool for the girls (ages 3 and 5). DD5 is a water kid -- loves pools and water slides. DD3 is more hesitant but will stand and play in water.

I thought about getting one of those 'easy set' pools, you know the ones where you inflate the top ring and it has a small filter attached. I looked at some reviews online and it sounds like they might not be worth it (or a lot of work). I want something that's going to last a couple of summers, that won't get too cold, and is easy to set up and maintain. If it has a slide, that's even better.

Any suggestions?
TikiG

DisneyWhirled
05-30-2008, 02:16 PM
We got one for the kids last year after they enjoyed our friends so much.

I will preface this by saying that they love their pool, and do spend a considerable amount of time in it.

It is a lot of work to get set up, though. DH has to make sure it is level w/minimal wrinkles. Last year (the first time we put it up), we filled the whole thing, only to find that it wasn't exactly level...so we had to drain it and start over.

Once it is up, I did not find it too hard to maintain. Just vacuuming it once in a while, skimming out the debris and cleaning the filter.

My friends have had theirs going on 3 summers, I believe.

We are putting it up next weekend. I am sure the kids will be pleased!

c&d
05-30-2008, 02:36 PM
We had one of the Intex pools for several years. Starting with the 8' and ending up with the 15' pool. We really enjoyed, it was easy to set up and we enjoyed having the option of taking a swim when we came home at night.

MA requires that these pools be fenced in just like larger above ground pools. Many people don't realize that they are subject to the same laws as bigger pools so you may want to check about the laws in your state.

merlinmagic4
05-30-2008, 04:31 PM
We've had these and loved them. We started with a smaller one and bought a bigger one two years ago. The kids love it but we have a very mischievous two year old and aren't setting it up this year. We'll be beaching it this summer but there's nothing like hanging out in your own backyard for the day!

Patty
05-30-2008, 08:01 PM
My kids loved ours when they were younger. I called them our "disposable" pools! I have to admit though it really came in handy on those hot summer days. We had no air conditioning and the kids where having a hard time eating because they were so hot. I set up the pool (not that hard, as long as you prep a little, and get in and smooth out the wrinkles right away) and everyday they would come home from camp, swim a little, and eat like troopers. Not to mention sleep like the dead! After setting it up, I put the filter on a timer so it would run at night while we slept, and I put a floater with chlorine in it, and I had no problems! You will more than likely be glad you got it! You really should check your state laws though! Most people up here fence them in, but I have also seen some people just plop them up and not care!

Stitchahula
06-02-2008, 02:49 PM
I agree it is a pain to set up but my son really loves ours. The one we have is just a small on so when he stands up it comes just up to his chin. He loves being in there cooling off and splashing around so it is worth the effort to see him so happy. Plus we can get in and sit sort of and be up to our neck. So I guess my point is if you can't afford a big pool these work pretty good.

magicofdisney
06-02-2008, 07:21 PM
We had an easy set pool a couple of years ago. Like others have stated, you really need a level surface. After that, I didn't find it difficult at all. I will say the first time we set it up I had to blow up the ring by mouth. That was torture. You need to invest in an electrical pump. Also, as previously mentioned, push out the wrinkles as soon as you start filling it.

I love the idea of a timer for the filter and the floater for chlorine. Those are great ideas.

I found this pool to be a good investment and it seems to weather well. As long as you store it properly in winter, it should last for years.

amy-rella
07-18-2008, 06:46 PM
I just saw these on sale this week at Toys R Us and thought about getting one (even though we are almost at the end of July). I'd like to get one but I wonder if it is worth the bother since it is so late in the summer. Tikigoddess - did you end up buying one this summer?

TikiGoddess
07-18-2008, 07:21 PM
We did end up buying one -- it was $129 at Toys r us (13' pool). It's been great so far. The kids LOVE it and beg to go in it every afternoon. The only problems we've had...

1. The water was COLD for the first couple of weeks, as we got it from our well. We finally bought a solar cover for it and that has helped. Found a cheap one online.

2. Our yard is not level, so the pool is not filled to capacity. It's a little oval as there is a low spot on one side of the pool. We were thinking of emptying it, leveling the ground, and then refilling it, but it seems to be staying the way it is and the kids don't mind that it's not as deep as it could be.

I am hoping to get a couple years use of this pool. My kids, 3 and 5, are just having a ball with it.

TikiG

amy-rella
07-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Sounds great - thanks for the feedback!