PDA

View Full Version : Osborne lights

DNS
05-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Could somebody explain Osborne spectacle of dancing lights? I know there are zillions of lights, I've seen pictures and I know they came from a family (Osbornes), but what I don't know is how they are presented. Is it like a show, or they are just turned on at dark like other lights around WDW. If it's a show, how long does it last? We are going this holiday season and when I read things I get the impression this is not just a case of turning on lots of lights. This is one of the events I know I don't want to miss. The pictures look incredible.
Thank you.

Jasper
05-30-2008, 01:24 PM
As you have already indicated these are your standard every day lights that are put up by the thousands to make all kinds of figures and the like. They were started by a family named Osborne in Arkansas and after they became such a huge spectacle that the neighbors were bothered by the whole thing Disney stepped in and offered to let them bring them to the Disney Studios.

There is no "show," it is a display like you would have on the front of your own house. They are displayed across many of the buildings on the sets in the back lot area and you walk past and through them at your own leisure. You can realistically do the whole thing in about 30 minutes. However, if you really want to take your time and look at absolutely everything in detail I would allow at least one hour as a minimum.

DNS
05-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know.

BMan62
05-30-2008, 01:36 PM
There is a 'show' part to it at the 'lighting ceremony' where a child (or children) is selected to flip the big switch to turn the lights on. Other than that, it is a great show of lights synchronized to some of the best holiday music out there. Well worth the effort to visit.

elmjimmlm
05-30-2008, 01:44 PM
There is a 'show' part to it at the 'lighting ceremony' where a child (or children) is selected to flip the big switch to turn the lights on..
How are they chosen?

Jasper
05-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Sorry, I had forgotten about the flipping the switch thing every evening. If I remember correctly they select someone in much the same way as they do for the opening of the park ceremony at The Magic Kingdom and other such things. Basically people start gathering in the area of the switch about 20-30 minutes before it happens and the CM pretty much grab someone at random and ask them if they would like to do it. Other than the few times they have had a celebrity do it that is what I have seen.

We were there for the first time they were turned on in their second year at Disney. And for that first day they had a couple of members of the Osborne family there to flip the switch. (not to be mistaken for the Ozzie Osborne family) Then one year totally at random in like the second week they were up and running they had Florance Henderson (Carol Brady from the Brady Bunch show) there to flip the switch. We never did hear why she was there that day flipping the switch.

wedway76
05-30-2008, 02:16 PM
We haven't seen Osborne since it was on Rresidential Street. Back then they used to have fake snow falling in the New York Street area. I think it was made out of some kind of soap suds. Do they still do that? :tree:

Bethis26fan
05-30-2008, 03:01 PM
yes they still have snow and the sell hot chocolate as well. :) it really is a fun thing.

BMan62
05-30-2008, 03:22 PM
How are they chosen?

I honestly don't know. It's quite random, though.

DNS
05-30-2008, 03:56 PM
yes they still have snow and the sell hot chocolate as well. :) it really is a fun thing.

I know they do this at MK Christmas party, but I didn't realize they did this at Osborne lights as well. Very cool.

LilOrmstonViolet38
05-30-2008, 04:09 PM
also, a fun little thing my family does...

when the osborne's packed up the lights a purple cat that lights up also went with. this was a halloween decoration that must have wanted to make it big time at Disney. i have found it about 3 different years. it's in a new hidden location everyyear. it is just the outline of a cat with it's back ruffled up. the outline is done in purple rope lights. it's always up with the other lights. it's fun to look for. two years ago i had to cheat after looking forever and asked a CM where the cat was. the first CM i talked to had no clue what i was talking about but a fellow CM overheard and said that she saw a cat and never knew what it was, so i explained it. :mickey: so see if you can find it! :)

SgtTigger
05-30-2008, 05:52 PM
More than 5 million lights in the display
800,000 watts of electricity
30,000 lights on the red canopy
80,000 lights on the 80ft tree with 3 layers of color
110 angels
33 snow machines using 100 gallons of snow fluid each evening
More than 1500 dimmable channels used for the dancing effect
30 miles of extension cords
10 miles of rope light
20,000 man hours to install the display
2 million tie wraps
40 hidden Mickey's

That is why I go year after year.......... :D

:cop: :tigger:

cal5755
05-30-2008, 07:31 PM
More than 5 million lights in the display
800,000 watts of electricity
30,000 lights on the red canopy
80,000 lights on the 80ft tree with 3 layers of color
110 angels
33 snow machines using 100 gallons of snow fluid each evening
More than 1500 dimmable channels used for the dancing effect
30 miles of extension cords
10 miles of rope light
20,000 man hours to install the display
2 million tie wraps
40 hidden Mickey's

That is why I go year after year.......... :D

WOW you sure do know your Osbourne light facts!! Amazing info... THANKS... hopefully we will see it in November when we go this year!! :mickey:

Ghost * Hostess
05-30-2008, 07:42 PM
We go every year in November or December and one of the main reasons is the Osborne Lights. Last year on one of the nights we were there DH met the head electrician who is in charge of the Osborne Lights. Needless to say they were talking for a very long time and he took him on a behind the scenes tour. He got to go behind locked gates to see the "heart" of all the lights. When they finished he came over to my DD and asked her if she wanted to shut off the Osborne Lights at 9pm. She was a little shy but it was very exciting. They put a spotlight on her, the lights danced one more time, they gave her the cue and me and DD pushed the switch down and the lights went off. It was very cool to see all the back streets go dark. I am so happy we have it on video and pictures.

snerd475
05-30-2008, 08:50 PM
What time do they turn them on? I've never seen them, and we're going the first week of December. I'd like to fit it into my planning.

Thanks!

SgtTigger
05-30-2008, 09:07 PM
When they finished he came over to my DD and asked her if she wanted to shut off the Osborne Lights at 9pm. She was a little shy but it was very exciting. They put a spotlight on her, the lights danced one more time, they gave her the cue and me and DD pushed the switch down and the lights went off. It was very cool to see all the back streets go dark. I am so happy we have it on video and pictures.

Now that was cool............... Thanks for sharing that....

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-30-2008, 11:29 PM
I saw the Osborne Lights for the first time this past December. They are amazing!!
I can't wait for my kids to see them this Xmas.:santa3:

joelkfla
05-30-2008, 11:43 PM
when the osborne's packed up the lights a purple cat that lights up also went with. this was a halloween decoration that must have wanted to make it big time at Disney.
Some other fun things to look for:
- Pluto's bone
- A Star of David and menorah
- Decorated bicycles and a barbeque grill

I don't know if they're still part of the display, but there used to be a short string of giant Christmas lights somewhere. I'm not sure what the significance of them was.

Strmchsr
06-06-2008, 02:04 PM
What time do they turn them on? I've never seen them, and we're going the first week of December. I'd like to fit it into my planning.

Thanks!

November 28 this year is when they begin.