PDA

View Full Version : Question about Epcot 'ball'...

coffeeyumm
05-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Does the big Epcot ball have ANY decorations on it now? Last time we were there it had the magic wand, etc... but I heard it's back to 'normal' now with no extra 'decorations'. Thanks!

P.S. For the record, I LIKED the magic wand!

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
05-29-2008, 05:27 PM
I was there last September, they've taken down the wand and the EPCOT sign that was over top of it. When I was there in May 2007, the decorations were still up. I forget the reason why they took it down, I think it was because they were originally only supposed to be up for the Millenium celebration? I'm sure someone on here knows more than I do about that...

There was a lot of talk a while back with a lot of people for the change, but a lot against it too.

I've seen it in it's decorated state and undecorated state, it personally doesn't matter to me. If I had to choose, I think I'd go with the decorations though :blush: please don't hate me for saying that!

Chris :hatter:

Jasper
05-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Oh man, you really don't want to get the debate started again about whether you liked the wand or not!! The wand originally had the year 2000 spelled out across Spaceship Earth as well for the Millennium celebration that was centered at Epcot. When the wand and year as well as the stars went up they were suppose to be there only as long as the millennium celebration. As we all know now they stayed around much longer.

For the record, in previous threads on this topic it appears that, in general, people who first experienced Epcot and Spaceship Earth without the wand liked it better without it and those who first experience it with the wand, in general, liked it better with the wand. So a lot can be said for first appearances!

Oh, and to answer your question, unless I have missed something recent, there is not currently anything adorning Spaceship Earth.

big blue and hairy
05-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Nope....the ball is nekkid! I didn't mind the wand and wasn't one of the people who was screaming to take it down, but now that it's down, I like the original look of Spaceship Earth better.

:sulley:

TheRustyScupper
05-29-2008, 07:16 PM
1) As mentioned, there is no "adornment".
2) When Siemens sponsorship took over, that was their requirement.

Everything old is new again.

kakn7294
05-29-2008, 07:53 PM
It was really cool to watch the progress of the wand coming down through pics on the internet - both here and other sites. We saw it mid-removal and it was amazing how fast it was coming down. I prefer it without the wand and I'm anxious to see it again in August but the wand kinda grew on me.

Jasminegirlsmom
05-29-2008, 08:09 PM
I was one of those that saw it for the first time with the wand and liked it. We went in Feb after it was down and it did look a little nekked to me but I like it without the wand too. Same with the ride "updates" some I like a lot others not so much but overall I love Spaceship Earth. It's a Disney icon and will always be one with or without the wand.

Gator
05-29-2008, 09:04 PM
I will definitely miss the wand. I hope when I'm there in December, it doesn't look like a giant putt-putt golf ornament.

elmjimmlm
05-29-2008, 09:20 PM
I will definitely miss the wand. I hope when I'm there in December, it doesn't look like a giant putt-putt golf ornament.

Thats funny because my DD said that she doesnt want to see it without the wand...She said that now it just looks like a stupid golf ball...

kadesha
05-29-2008, 09:23 PM
I know I am SO in the minority, but I loved the wand! My kids loved the sparkly red stars, they are going to be confused when we go this year and they don't get to see them.

Crow
05-29-2008, 10:29 PM
it is back in its original naked state now. but i didnt mind it w the wand. i just dont like the tombstones in front of it.

kakn7294
05-30-2008, 07:38 AM

Thats funny because my DD said that she doesnt want to see it without the wand...She said that now it just looks like a stupid golf ball...We actually call it the Epcot golf ball but regardless of whether it's nekkid or with wand, I love seeing it in person!

TheRustyScupper
05-30-2008, 09:09 AM
1) I always thought the wand and "Epcot" word silly.
2) This is supposed to be a spaceship.
3) I haven't seen many spaceships with a hand, wand or external name attached.

big blue and hairy
05-30-2008, 09:15 AM
I beleive this was mentioned here before, but....if you have not seen the nekkid ball lately, take a minute and look at it. It appears larger with out the arm.

:sulley:

Rella
05-30-2008, 03:51 PM
it is back in its original naked state now. but i didnt mind it w the wand. i just dont like the tombstones in front of it.

:funny: My sentiments exactly!!

Coach48
05-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Like it better without the wand.Seems more like it was designed to be.

Young@Heart
05-30-2008, 10:57 PM
I know I am SO in the minority, but I loved the wand! My kids loved the sparkly red stars, they are going to be confused when we go this year and they don't get to see them.

Add me to the ever-growing minority. :mickey: I liked the want. And FTR, I saw it for the first time w/out!