PDA

View Full Version : Mad at Hubby

ShelbyAD
05-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Ok - (set scene up) if you've ever seen the movie "Transformers" you will know what I am talking about.

Apparently GM will be making the Yellow Camero that was in that movie. DH says it's a 1968 or 1969 model. He use to own a 1969 Camero.

Well, when he found out that GM was going to be making that year/model again - he was all excited. He said that he will own one in 4-5 years. I got :mad: We were planning on taking a 2 week Mediterranean cruise in 4-5 years. He is going to give up that vacation for a car?!?!?

I told him that "you're going to do whatever it takes to save the money for that car, while saying we don't have money for anything else." He did not like that comment. He got mad, because we just bought a new house and some furniture for it. I'm sorry, but I don't think that's even the same thing. Am I wrong?

I don't think he fully understands the cost of the car, the insurance, the gas & the maintenance. Granted in 5 years we will no longer have to pay child support (which is quite a bit of money each month).

I just can't believe he's wanting to "throw" that extra money away on a car. He still plans on keeping his 4Runner. BTW - DH is 46.

DestinationWDW
05-29-2008, 05:31 PM
It's a guy thing

Jasper
05-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Not knowing everything about your financial situation it is hard for the rest of us to comment. But I am sure he feels the same way about the car as you do about the house. Men and women often have VERY different priorities when it comes to things like that. And hey, 4-5 years is a long way off, why not sit down now and do some serious financial planning together and maybe you can find a way to pay cash for the vacation and still come up with a good down payment on the car and then take a loan out for the remainder of the car. (I personally don't feel good about going into debt for a vacation but don't have such a problem for a vehicle.)

Jeff
05-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Well...... it is a sweet car!!!!;)

mrsgaribaldi
05-29-2008, 05:48 PM
It's a wish for now. Get mad in 4-5 years. I would just laugh it off now. ;)

BluewaterBrad
05-29-2008, 06:02 PM
I would spend all that $$ on Disney trips!:mickey:

PirateLover
05-29-2008, 06:13 PM
I would try not to get mad about it. As others have said, it's still a ways off and he might change his mind or your financial situation might change. Worry about it when it gets closer. I think that obviously you both have different priorities and you will have to talk about it eventually but it's not worth it to get into a disagreement about it yet.

droopy d.
05-29-2008, 06:35 PM
I have to agree it is a guy thing and I also agree to spend the money on trips to Disney.

Deesdisney
05-29-2008, 07:03 PM
That is similar to what happened here. My husband wanted a car that was his and no one elses (Since he was the only one that worked between the two of us) I said yes. He ordered his mini cooper special. That put a big hole in my plans for vacationing anywhere. However, I started cutting down on Desserts and stuff that we really did not need. In one year I saved up enough to go to WDW for 1 wk and to stay with my mom in Florida next to WDW for 3 more weeks. He is happier now and we both got what we want. Start saving now for the trip and car and you could probably have both. I hope everything goes well.
I am sorry but if I could have that car I would want it too. I love Cameros.

pink
05-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Hopefully in 4-5 years your hubby will be over his Transformer fantasy but in case he's not just remind him that the dream is sometimes better than the real thing. In your defense I agree that a beautiful tropical vacation is a lot more precious than a car but guys sometimes have different mentalities. Good luck. :mickey:

SBETigg
05-29-2008, 07:26 PM
It's a wish for now. Get mad in 4-5 years. I would just laugh it off now. ;)

I agree. But maybe if you tell him that the car won't actually transform, he'll get over it faster. ;) Men, huh? :D

Cinderelley
05-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Let him have his dream. How many times have you sat and daydreamed about your vacation? As the saying goes "boys will be boys", and as everyone else mentioned, he may outgrow the fantasy. If not, sit down and seriously look at your finances so that both of you can accomplish your goals.

CuteAsMinnie
05-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Well, I say.......:secret:

Let him have his mid-life crisis car (sorry guys) while you still get your Mediterrian cruise. Should be quite the celebration in 5 years or so. Take the awesome vaca and come back to an awesome car. :) Good luck!!!!!:cool:

Mufasa
05-30-2008, 12:41 AM
Apparently GM will be making the Yellow Camero that was in that movie. DH says it's a 1968 or 1969 model. He use to own a 1969 Camero.

It definitely wasn't a 1969 Camaro.

I remember reading an interview with the film's production designer Jeff Mann and when GM first came on board, they had suggested using a 1969 Camaro but the production team rejected that idea, because the 1969 Camaro was too cool.

They specifically wanted the crummiest Camaro possible (it had to be believable that it could be bought by a teenager with $4000) so I think they settled on a 1976 Camaro because of that era of 2nd generation Camaro production that production year stood out as being really lame- no Z28 option available and the most powerful stock engine option was only a four barrel 350 that barely put out 165 horsepower and after all it did have that fancy 8-track player too.

tinkerbellybutton
05-30-2008, 07:26 AM
I agree. But maybe if you tell him that the car won't actually transform, he'll get over it faster. ;) Men, huh? :D

:funny:
I have to agree with SBETigg and mrsgaribaldi it's not worth getting upset about it yet. 4-5 years is a LONG time to have an ongoing argument. Also, maybe he can start saving in little ways so that you guys won't even miss the money, like putting all of his change in a jar every night and just treat it like it's not there, (don't dip into it for anything) it adds up fast. I don't know if you guys have returnable bottles there but if you do, save that money with the change as well. By the time the 4-5 years are up he may just have enough for the down payment on his dream car and you won't have missed the money.

ShelbyAD
05-30-2008, 08:28 AM
I hope he gets over it or they won't be making that style in 4 years. Yes, it will be his "mid-life crisis". My "mid-life" crisis is getting a new clothes. I'm slowly working on it. (even though I haven't even hit 40 yet ;))

We haven't talked about it since he first brought it up. I'm going to let it blow over.

Fryguy
05-30-2008, 08:51 AM
I would not get mad at him for this. It seems like that this may be a dream of his and he wants to fulfill it.

If he is willing to wait a few years he should be able to pick one of them up used for a good price. So be glad he is willing to wait and not just go and order one right now.

Ok, I need to give a disclaimer - that coming from a guy who ordered his 05 Mustang in 04 so he could have one of the new styles. :blush:

MissStyles
05-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Have him open up his own savings account to save for it. You could open one for your things too. That way you're saving for what you want to save for and there won't be any disagreements.

MsMin
05-30-2008, 09:39 AM
It's always a good idea not to anticipate your problems so I agree with the others. If he were shopping now.. yes, discuss it but a lot of stuff happens in 4-5 years --- maybe even Transformers 2 ;) with a new car. I also agree that some people see cars and vacation as two different expenses.. that a car is not a "luxury" item (though we all know many can be).
I use the 2 ear theory. Let it go in one ear and out the other. Sometimes the more you tell someone they can't have something the more they want it!

Jeff G
05-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a sweet car and a great purchase that should be made as soon as possible.

What did you expect? It's a guy thing;). I'm a middle aged man who will most likely trying to justify a similar mid life purchase in the near future. If I can justify my purchase based on your husband it may make it easier when my time comes. Plus, if all things go right here I can then share this thread with my DW:D.

jrkcr
05-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Well, I am the odd ball...a woman who likes cars! I'd spend money on my "dream car" if I could....but mine runs about $280,000.00 So I know I will never own one. :(
(Lincoln model k sport phaton)

But I would try to not be too verbal about his "dream" car...everyone wants something that's not practical. Which is why DH bought a sailboat for me! We bought a sailboat that is in Georgia, and are living in Nevada....

Anyway....maybe you need 2 savings accounts, and deposit equal amounts in them. One for car, and one for vacation.

diz_girl
05-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Who wants the vacation more, you or him? If you want the vacation, and he's tagging along to make you happy, then he might think that he will have to give us his car for your vacation. That could be his perspective, right or wrong. Also, how could it be an either/or situation? If your vacation will cost as much as the car, then that's one very expensive vacation.

Why don't you make a deal with him? Since most cars are financed for 4 years, then have him figure out the cost to buy it new and then divide that by 48. He can then put away that amount (1/48th) every month until the end of the four years. If he can't afford to do that, then he probably won't be able to finance it in four year's time and can't afford the car. If he needs another year to save, then he'll just delay buying the car for one year. If he has enough money to buy the new car and indeed buys it, then he should immediately start saving for the next car. That way he's not beholden to a car loan ever again.

In the meantime, figure out how much the vacation would cost and use the same method to determine a monthly savings amount. Then you start saving for it.

You mention that you have to pay child support until then. Yes, you could rely on that freed up money to finance your vacation, but don't be surprised if something comes up to eat up those funds. Something always does. Plan for what you want and then save for it. If you can't save for it, then you can't afford it.

joonyer
05-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Just be glad he's not hooked on the idea of a $125,000 Porsche like I am. It could be worse.

Patty
05-30-2008, 07:51 PM
It's a guy thing

HEY! I am a girl (and former owner of a yellow camero) and I am dreaming of buying that car too!!

Well...... it is a sweet car!!!!;)

:thumbsup:

I wonder how much they will charge for the "transforming" option ;)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-31-2008, 11:41 PM
That definitely was not a '68 or '69 Camaro. I have a '79 TransAm and it's closer to that year. They are very much the same body style.
But unfortunately the car will last longer than the vacation.
But with the price of gas, does he really want to buy a gas guzzler? I bought mine right before the gas shortages. Not a fun time!
I too think it's a midlife crisis dream. And as stated, in 4-5 years the body styles will have changed again. The Camaros and Vettes don't look anything like they used to look so he probably won't want one by then anyway.

JMTStone
06-01-2008, 11:49 AM
My husband just loves that car too. He's always saying someday he'll get a Shelby (Is that a car? she asked innocently knowing he would babble for a good 20 minutes and she could concentrate on something else)

In 4 years, he'll probably be over it. Let him dream and if he doesn't change his mind, worry about it then.

Jeri Lynn
06-02-2008, 07:18 AM
If it was me I would just think it's my husband talking about something he wanted to do 4-5 years from now....things change all the time, I wouldn't waste too much time being angry about it.

GM could change their mind and decide not to bother making the car!

ShelbyAD
06-02-2008, 08:53 AM
The car would definately cost more than the vacation.

I told him I saw this nice car in the parking garage at work. He looked at me and said "don't talk to me about cars". So we don't talk about it.

JEFF - glad we could be of assistance to you with your mid-life crisis negotiating :thumbsup:

Stitchahula
06-02-2008, 03:10 PM
I can understand him wanting that car. Remember when cars all looked different. Trans Ams had their own look same with vettes and camaros now they all look alike. However if it is supposed be like the car in the movie then it probably will have the same engine in the movie and no one will be able to afford the gas for it anyways. I say wait to get mad ,he will most likely change his mind in 4-5 years and the need to get a new camaro will be replaced with the need to get something else.