PDA

View Full Version : 100% honest opinion on AK resort?

r4kids
05-29-2008, 12:47 PM
I need honest opinions on AK villas. I had a DVC memeber say it is ****. You are far from everything. The atmosphere is only ok. Overall not worth the money. We were considering renting points or paying for a room. Please help my kids would be very upset if we change resorts. We are looking Jan/Feb time. :mickey:

KineGirl
05-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Well you'll find varying opinions but AKL is my favorite of all DVCs. Now this is coming from someone who has been lucky enough to to be a DVC member for 14 years now and has stayed in all the DVCs except WL. Of course even other seasoned DVCers may disagree as to what their favorite is. AKL is truly unique. Whereas there are several "beach" type resorts in WDW there is only one African/savannah resort. The lodge itself is absolutely incredible from thatched roofs, the African greeter at the door in the beautiful dashiki and carved staff, the authentic African art work through out the resort, it has the best CS (Mara) of all the resorts IMO not to mention Jikos and Bomas to the "wow factor" lobby including the massive firepit, the African story teller nightly at the outdoor firepit and I havent even mentioned the amazing animal & savannah views from your own balcony! The theming of the rooms really have a great feel... of course African as well. The attention to detail is hard to rival except for WL. Its like a vacation within a vacation. Yes the bus ride is a little longer (except to AK) but I think its really no more than 10-15 min more. If you have kids and the opportunity to stay at this resort I really dont think you can go wrong. Ive yet to see a child be unimpressed at AKL.

Tinkerfreak
05-29-2008, 01:58 PM
The op described it beautifully. The minute you step into the lobby you are hit with what my family calls the "african smell", woodsy, spicy and just wonderful. We have stayed at the WL, BC, Poly and AKL and we prefer the AKL. We did love the convenience of the other resorts close to Epcot and MK but we just feel much more relaxed when at the AKL. My kids just love getting up in the morning and animal watching. We just love all the quiet little areas to sit and relax. The first time we stayed there we were only there for 4 nights and it was not long enough. The next stay there was for 7 nights and we really got to enjoy the resort. We don't think the bus trips are bad. In fact we had longer waits for the bus at both the Poly and the BC and we had to share busses on all the trips so we felt the bus trip was actually longer. I would not let a bad opinion descourage you from staying here. You just can't experience anything else like it. Like the op said you have plenty of options for beach resorts but how often do you get to wake up with a zebra and giraffe outside your balcony?

Momof2boys
05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
We stayed at AKL in October and loved it. Yes, it's further away but time wise I felt it was the same from pickup to park that it was when we stayed at the Poly and had to go to another resort or 2 to pick up more guests before heading off to the park. The pool is great, CM's are very helpful, views are scenic, and we enjoyed our stay.

Ian
05-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I stayed there the first time in 2001 and I didn't really care for it. We had a room all the way at one end of the resort and it was a really long walk. I thought it was too far from everything and I thought the rooms were too small for a deluxe resort.

But we just stayed there again a few weeks ago and this time I really liked it. It's still kinda far away from everything, but it wasn't as bad as I remembered it being.

And this time our room was right near the main lobby, so that was much better too.

As far as the atmosphere and the theming, I think it's top notch. Something even about the way it smells is really awesome.

pox24
05-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Its awesome. :thumbsup:

r4kids
05-29-2008, 03:38 PM
I knew you guys would come through. I was really worried about it. We are trying very hard to stay here and would hate to dislike it after spending so much money. I am really excited to hear all the cool reviews. The other hotels are cool too but this one just looks so awsome!

sorarail
05-29-2008, 04:07 PM
The op described it beautifully. The minute you step into the lobby you are hit with what my family calls the "african smell", woodsy, spicy and just wonderful.

I've been shot down before for saying this, but after 3 days at AKL, the fragrance in the lobby got to me. However, I am VERY sensitive to fragrances, so I use no perfume or perfumed substances whatsoever. Just wanted to give you a "heads up" if you have any one in your family who is sensitive to fragrances. It was fun to see the giraffes, but we won't be staying there again because it's no fun to be at WDW with a week-long raging headache. :(

Mousemates
05-29-2008, 06:01 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup: to AKL.

DVC Mike
05-29-2008, 07:09 PM
We love the AKL so much we bought points at AKV. It's one of our four home resorts -- all of which are our favorite places to stay at WDW.

ThanxForNoticin
05-30-2008, 12:11 PM
AKL is one of our favorite places at WDW - highly recommend spending time there. Have a great trip!

lockedoutlogic
05-30-2008, 01:00 PM
I've heard some complaints recently....

but most are due to the fact that the one side is ripped apart as they build the new uints.....

if someone can please explain how they can do massive multimillion dollar construction projects without it appear to actually be a construction site.....please phone anaheim and let them know....

AKL is possibly the best resort at WDW......seriously....

It has two really top notch restaurants....the amount of actual staff and activity at that location is higher than any other resort.....

And even if you don't like animals that much.....they are presented in a peaceful setting that can be very relaxing....

the pool is one of the nicest.....but as with any WDW resort with one pool location....it has been becoming crowded....that is the downside of all those new villas.....the original services are going to become overwhelmed to a certain extent....as they will continue to be popular even though they are building new faciilities for the DVC lodge building....

It is really great....but my opinion on why it isn't more widely revered?....americans don't like the theme. I can only attribute that do to the fact that by and large we are not exposed to any traditional african culture in this country....practically none before 1900....and unfortunately very little to this very day....

It's really Wilderness Lodge with more facilities, a different culture, and 1,000 pound living props.....

But why does everyone love wilderness lodge so much....many of who scoff at AKL?

because we are taught to embrace the great american outdoor spirit (well....most of us are).....while we see little of African Tribal Culture outside of the Discovery Channel.....

Here's what I know......that when the Villas are finished.....AKL will have two large pools.....3 full service restaurants.....2 quickservice restaurants....two giftshops...and 500 animals that only live 5,000 miles away.....

or you can stay in a Holiday Inn...:mickey:

r4kids
05-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Part of the reason we would like to stay in AKL is the decor. It looks amazing. It is so unique. I think Disney did a great job in bring authentic Africa to this resort. Well what I can tell from descriptions and pictures. There are places in this world we would visit but are unsafe to do so or too expensive to travel to. I wish they had more themed hotels like this. I can't wait to go( if we can trade in from II) :pixie:

KineGirl
05-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Part of the reason we would like to stay in AKL is the decor. It looks amazing. It is so unique. I think Disney did a great job in bring authentic Africa to this resort. Well what I can tell from descriptions and pictures. There are places in this world we would visit but are unsafe to do so or too expensive to travel to. I wish they had more themed hotels like this. I can't wait to go( if we can trade in from II) :pixie:

Its true.. If your family is one that enjoys experiencing different cultures and museums (like my own) or even just a great love of animals then AKL is the place for you. :thumbsup:

btw - what is II? :blush:

RedSoxFan
05-30-2008, 05:51 PM
I loved AKL and so did my family. We did not feel isolated in any way. The lobby is great and the gift shop is unique. Would have stayed there again this Oct; but I couldn't justify an extra $1500 this time around. Esp with 2 kids in college!!

Mulan
05-30-2008, 06:19 PM
One of the other reasons why my children love this resort is for the activities. Check with the front desk for a list of activities and times. My DD's decorated cookies, went on a scavenger hunt, learned about and played Africian drums, learned about the culture and went to a storytelling by the fire. My girls just loved the way this resort interacted with them. Plus I really enjoyed the private tour of Jiko and Boma with a chief. We talked about the different foods and spices. I got to have samples of different things. It was great. And all free!:thumbsup:

r4kids
05-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Its true.. If your family is one that enjoys experiencing different cultures and museums (like my own) or even just a great love of animals then AKL is the place for you. :thumbsup:

btw - what is II? :blush:

It is Interval International. They are who we use to trade our Marriott vacation club into Disney. We do really like learning about other cultures and musuems. We subscribe to the National Geographic mag and love The Discovery Channel. The kids really like to read/watch about other places. we just can't always afford to visit them :)

DizneyRox
05-30-2008, 10:14 PM
One hting you'll never hear me complain about is AKL. It's my favorite resort hands down. I'd rather stay there than the Grand Floridian.

Theming is top notch, the bus service is fantastic and everything else everyone else said about how great it is.

5fromabove
05-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I agree with what the previous posters said, the theming is top notch. One thing that we really enjoyed was the "cultural safari" in the evening. There was a young man from South Africa who sat down and shared stories about his homeland with us. He gave the kids a geography lesson, did a slide show, answered questions...even taught our little girls how to play the drums. I love this photo...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/5fromabove/WDW%202007/WDW%2007%20part%202/wdw%2007%20part%203/DSC_0027.jpg

Here is a picture of the lobby, it doesn't begin to do it justice...the details are just amazing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/5fromabove/WDW%202007/WDW%2007%20part%202/wdw%2007%20part%203/DSC_0026.jpg

The only bummer about our stay there was the weather...it rained all day and we had planned only one full day at AKL. We ended up swimming in the rain when it wasn't thundering. Oh well...can't do anything about that.

The animals were very cool...the AKL is an experience that is not to be missed. Hope you are able to trade in. :) Good luck.

playdead88
05-31-2008, 07:37 AM
thanks for the post! im soooo glad we bought points at AKV - we closed yesterday! :elephant:

Giselle
06-02-2008, 02:38 PM
AK resort is not too far away from the AK. Also, I've only stayed at the resort not the villas. It seems to have better atmosphere because of the lobby, restaurants and closeness to the pools, bus stops, etc. I like the AK but the only transportation is by bus and you can't walk to any parks, so that is a problem it is definitley a trade off for the unique atmosphere. It is worth a try if you ask me.

CaptSmee
06-02-2008, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=r4kids;1643318]I need honest opinions on AK villas. I had a DVC memeber say it is ****. You are far from everything. The atmosphere is only ok. Overall not worth the money. QUOTE]

The AK Villas aren't even built yet so I'm not sure what everyone is referring to. They are still under construction. You can stay there as a DVC member, but I can't imagine anyone in their right mind saying the comments that you have quoted! It's 1 of the most fabulously themed resorts we've ever stayed at! While it's not my favorite, it is my 3rd favorite behind Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge. The themeing is incredible. Watching the animals on the savannah from our balcony was better than the safari at AK. You are a distance away from Downtown Disney and Magic Kingdom. The other parks are not too far away at all.

KineGirl
06-02-2008, 08:25 PM
[QUOTE=r4kids;1643318]I need honest opinions on AK villas. I had a DVC memeber say it is ****. You are far from everything. The atmosphere is only ok. Overall not worth the money. QUOTE]

The AK Villas aren't even built yet so I'm not sure what everyone is referring to. They are still under construction. You can stay there as a DVC member, but I can't imagine anyone in their right mind saying the comments that you have quoted! It's 1 of the most fabulously themed resorts we've ever stayed at! While it's not my favorite, it is my 3rd favorite behind Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge. The themeing is incredible. Watching the animals on the savannah from our balcony was better than the safari at AK. You are a distance away from Downtown Disney and Magic Kingdom. The other parks are not too far away at all.

There are some completed villas. Im booked into one for this July (2 BR L/O) and my friends stayed there in January. Kidani House isnt done but they turned some of the upper floors of Jambo into DVC villas

r4kids
06-02-2008, 08:49 PM
[quote=r4kids;1643318]I need honest opinions on AK villas. I had a DVC memeber say it is ****. You are far from everything. The atmosphere is only ok. Overall not worth the money. QUOTE]

This was a DVC member we were considering renting points from. AKV was going to be our first choice for points. I thought some of the villas were open. I can't imagine it being a less than a stellar resort. Anyway, we actually got a trade into The Villas at WL. We are so excited! We have never stayed in WL. We will then spend 6 additional nights @ POFQ to hit the P&PP ( we hope). On this trip we are taking a day or two to explore the resorts we have not stayed in. This way we will be better informed for future trips.

pogo
06-02-2008, 08:55 PM
From a non DVC perspective...... we looked at AKL two years ago during our last day at the Poly and thought the place smelled like animal dung. My DW said, "why would anyone want to wake up to that smell when they could wake up to the smell of flowers? " I agree. So the last time we stayed at POFQ and our next time is also POFQ. Sorry !

KineGirl
06-02-2008, 09:01 PM
From a non DVC perspective...... we looked at AKL two years ago during our last day at the Poly and thought the place smelled like animal dung. My DW said, "why would anyone want to wake up to that smell when they could wake up to the smell of flowers? " I agree. So the last time we stayed at POFQ and our next time is also POFQ. Sorry !

Wow you mustve hit it on an off day or something ...pew! Ive stayed with a SV and never smelled anything of the sort- thank goodness! They have handlers that clean up the savannahs twice daily.

But thats ok - just means more AKL for me :D

thejens
06-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I love AKL. It was the first resort we stayed at. I loved Beach Club and Poly also, but AKL has a special place in my heart. It is relaxing and exotic and beautiful. I really feel transported there. I waited for a bus from AKL to the Poly for an hour, so the buses can be a nuisance anywhere. It is not as convenient as the Poly or monorail resort, but I hope to stay there again. I think a lot of it has to do with how you approach it. If you are open to new experiences I think you will love it. I never noticed any bad smells in lobby or on grounds and I am a sensitive smeller!!

Mousemates
06-03-2008, 10:05 AM
:ditto: on the lack of smell...we've also had SV nights at the AKL and never, never, ever whiffed the fragrant aroma of African poo :blush:. As for
The AK Villas aren't even built yet so I'm not sure what everyone is referring to. They are still under construction. You can stay there as a DVC member, but I can't imagine anyone in their right mind saying the comments that you have quoted! I think the poster is mistaken...especially since my wife, her sisters and mom are booked for one in a few weeks.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-03-2008, 10:11 AM
My 100% honest opinion - it wasn't that spectacular. I prefer VWL and OKW to the AKV.

I just wasn't impressed with the layouts, the themeing of the rooms, the sizes. I found it to be very small. I didn't care for being in the main building.

That's just my opinion though and there are some people who love it. I just wasn't excited about it.

I did like the animals though - bunnies were everywhere pn the savannah!! They are so cute! Obviously, the big animals didn't excite me either....

Ian
06-03-2008, 03:56 PM
It is really great....but my opinion on why it isn't more widely revered?....americans don't like the theme. I can only attribute that do to the fact that by and large we are not exposed to any traditional african culture in this country....practically none before 1900....and unfortunately very little to this very day....

It's really Wilderness Lodge with more facilities, a different culture, and 1,000 pound living props.....

But why does everyone love wilderness lodge so much....many of who scoff at AKL?I don't think this has anything to do with it ... I think the reason is far more simplistic.

MK = Most popular WDW theme park

AK = Least popular WDW theme park

WL = Close to MK

AK = Close to AK

I think it's as simple as that.

megustamex
06-09-2008, 01:20 AM
You won't be sorry - this is my favorite resort at Disney and one of my favorites anywhere. As for being farther away, I never really noticed because we always rent a car and drive ourselves to the parks. It always seems like a 10 minute drive to Epcot or the Studios and 5 minutes to AK - the only far one is MK. So I recommend renting a car if you want to be able to get to the parks quicker.

MouseHouser
06-28-2008, 06:52 AM
AKL rocks. It has an exotic feel that facilitates settling into vacation mode and leaving the real world behind. Imo the lobby, pool, and restaurants are fantastic. And we so enjoy sipping coffee or wine from the balcony and watching the parade of African animals saunter by.

The only minor downside is transpo. It's less convenient than that at the monorail resorts and WL, which is superlative. That said, AKL transpo works fine for us.

AKL is so peaceful that hopping into the car and leaving the Disney bubble is practically a shock to the system. Recommend one not do this until one absolutely has to.

Tigerinvestigator
06-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Four vacations at the AKL and I can't think of one bad thing to say about the resort! IMHO it is breathtaking from the minute you enter the gate with its theming and lush landscaping. The Lobby is massive and beautiful and I agree the smell is wonderful (don't pay attention to POGO he spends way too much time at the Poly;)). Jiko and Boma are fabulous. The Oasis pool is fantastic and we actually prefer the pool view for our room. The resort is consistently listed among the best in the WORLD! I don't think you will be disappointed although it appears some people have been.:confused::thumbsup: