PDA

View Full Version : OKW vs SSR

AirlineGuy07
05-29-2008, 08:37 AM
We are going to Disney again in Dec!!:party:
Im so excited because I've never been there to see all the Christmas decorations. Anyway the last three times we have been to Disney we have stayed at SSR. Not that I don't like it but I'd like to stay at another resort. SSR is the only resort open to use our DVC points. I am waitlisted at VWL, BCV, AKV but the odds are probably slim to get it. We have never stayed OKW thinking it's one of the older DVC resorts. I was thinking about waitlisting because it's probably the only other resort that we have a chance at getting. We have a two and one bedroom reserved at SSR for 4 adults and 2 kids. Any good experiences staying at OKW??

DVC Mike
05-29-2008, 09:23 AM
OKW has some of the largest rooms.

A 1-BR at OKW is around 942 sqft, while the ones at SSR are about 714 sqft.

A 2-BR at OKW is around 1,395 sqft, while the ones at SSR are about 1,075 sqft.

OKW offers a quiet, relaxed, lushly landscaped setting. It has very convenient self parking directly in front of units. Like SSR, it is a very large, spread out resort.

If you like SSR, you should like OKW.

Queen Stephanie
05-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Listen to Mike, he is right. The rooms at OKW are the largest of all the DVC resorts. Believe me more extra space does make the vacation a little more magical.:magic:

Checkers
05-29-2008, 09:59 AM
:mickey:DVCMike is right on! OKW is our home resort and we love it. I agree, OKW might be the one resort that your waitlist will come through. Good luck!

lockedoutlogic
05-29-2008, 10:15 AM
OKW any day of the week and twice on Sunday

BethieTink
05-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Just stayed at OKW a few weeks ago for the first time and loved it!!! Our home is BCV, but since it was a friend and myself, we wanted 2 real beds in a studio and OKW was perfect. I will definitely be going back.

Ian
05-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Given an apples to apples room comparison, I'd take SSR every time.

OKW feels pretty run down and kinda shabby, IMO.

Everything at SSR is still nice and new and shiny.

KineGirl
05-29-2008, 11:24 AM
LOL I always get a chuckle how some think that because its the oldest resort that its somehow lacking or run down! ;) Its a totally natural reaction - but this is a Disney DVC! OKW is absolutely beautiful! I really feel like Im on a true FL vacay there with all the huge palms & steel drum music playing around the pool & HH. Not to mention the size of the villas. :) Think of it more as "established" than run down. The only problem Ive ever encountered in 14 years was a musty smelling studio due to a leaky fridge and they had me moved immediately. I think you would be very happy at OKW- why not give it a try?

Where ever you stay I know you will have a blast with your family! I really like WDW Christmas decorations too! :santa3:

Now if anybody saw Disney Institute its last few years - THAT was run down :ack:

ThanxForNoticin
05-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Another thumbs-up for OKW. It's not THAT old! It's neatly kept with larger rooms and a very peaceful feel to it. Not only should you not hesitate to stay there, I would recommend that you stay there. Have a great trip.

Ian
05-29-2008, 01:22 PM
LOL I always get a chuckle how some think that because its the oldest resort that its somehow lacking or run down! ;) Ummm ... I've stayed there more than once ... I don't "think" it's run down ... I've seen it. It looks more run down than SSR. By a long shot.

SSR is brand new ... there's no way OKW could compete with it in terms of feeling newer.

KineGirl
05-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Ummm ... I've stayed there more than once ... I don't "think" it's run down ... I've seen it. It looks more run down than SSR. By a long shot.

SSR is brand new ... there's no way OKW could compete with it in terms of feeling newer.

I wasnt talking about you directly but rather those who've never been. When I think run down I think motel 6 on the side of the highway or and old Holiday Inn. That is NOT OKW which is a very very well maintained resort. ...

But to each their own - Ive also stayed at both as well and SSR (I also own some points there) is at the bottom of my list when it comes to DVC resorts. I dont care about a "new" feel. OKW does not look run down and while it doesnt have the new paint smell - thats of no consequence to me. The SSR themeing albeit pretty - is boring IMO, Im not one for the races or horses and has the least Disney feel to me. The villa decor looks not much different than my own home.That being said I am staying there in Oct - but it was given as a gift. If it were my choice i wouldve stayed elsewhere.

The Taco Bell up the street is new but Im not going there over my favorite Mexican joint in the other direction that Ive been eating at for 8 years now. New does necessarily mean better.

Again.. this is all IMO! Everyone has their own!

Momof2boys
05-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Since we were within the 7 month window, we had a choice of SSR or OKW for our October trip. We chose OKW specifically for the fact that we know we'll be able to stay at SSR as it's our home resort. We definately want to try new resorts and decided to start with OKW (unless of course our BCV, or BWC waitlist comes thru)

minnie1956
05-29-2008, 08:48 PM
OKW is our home resort as well. Run down and dumpy?? I don't think so. Of course, SSR will have more flash & dazzle. It's brand new.
We've got 8 of us going in 2 weeks for a 2BR.
I'm so excited I can't stand it. I love the feeling of being in "Key West". If I wanted to feel like
New York, then I'd choose SSR. As it's been said, personal choice. I love the music, atmosphere ( mature landscaping) and overall charm of OKW.
Good luck and good fun no matter what choice you make!:cloud9:

epceddie
05-29-2008, 11:35 PM
I've stayed in a 1BR and a studio at OKW (my new DVC home resort) and the rooms there are outstanding.
They're big and comfortable and I like the resort because I can get some peace and quiet there.
For its age, I think OKW is still in great shape. I love the golf course and lake views and I've really enjoyed the pool.
The boat rides to DTD and SSR are also very enjoyable.
I think OKW has a lot going for it. Can't wait to make my first DVC reservation to stay there in October.