PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best tour?

Mfarquar
05-29-2008, 12:06 AM
I was thinking about maybe taking a park tour during our upcoming trip at the end of September.

Back in the late 90's I took a school trip where we spent half our days with a Disney guide with "educational" mini tours (they were so fun we didn't realize we were learning physics). We hung out with an animator at MGM, got to go behind the scenes at the Haunted Mansion, and did a scavenger hunt through EPCOT before it opened for the day. My husband has never been on any type of Disney tour.

I really loved these tours, but feel there was a lot of behind stuff we didn't get to see (we didn't get to do the utilidors).

Which is the best tour? I've heard Keys To the Kingdom and Backstage Magic are both good. We're pretty much open to anything.

So, in your opinion, which is the best tour to go on?

Thanks everyone!

Natazu
05-29-2008, 05:41 AM
I have to say Backstage Magic, without a doubt. It is a little expensive but worth every penny. They give you free bottled water, that's worth $200 right there. Plus you get to go in the Utilidors, see costuming, and Mama will make you a family style lunch. What more could you ask for?

DizneyRox
05-29-2008, 06:10 AM
Hands down my favorite is the Segway tour over at Epcot. Pretty cool stuff, but nothing backstage.

Backstage Safari over at AK is another good one, but probably not as sexy as a Utilidors tour for most. I'm partial to AK though.

smiles_rock
05-29-2008, 08:57 AM
We did the Keys to the Kingdom tour last September and loved it! It was really informational, our tour guide was excellent, and we got into the utilidors and the area behind main st/splash mountain where the parades start. It was well worth the money, I'd even take the tour again! Lunch at the Columbia Harbor House was great too.

Shugoondola
05-29-2008, 03:16 PM
I really enjoyed the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. It was very informative and our guide, Rae, was great. :number1:

I also enjoyed the Hidden Treasures of the World Showcase Tour, but I'm not sure if that tour is offered anymore.

:mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-30-2008, 10:47 PM
I too have been wondering about the tours. Has anyone done Undiscovered Future World or Backstage Safari? I was looking at trying one of those but haven't heard anything about any tour other than the Keys To The Kingdom.

Momof2boys
05-31-2008, 09:49 AM
I did the Keys to the Kingdom tour in October and really enjoyed it. I actually liked seeing the parade staging & storage area better than the utilidors. I learned a lot, loved our guide, and want to try another tour at some point. Plus, we got to skip to the front of the line for Haunted Mansion, which had just come off refurb. Lunch was included, as well as a pin.

johnO
05-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Most of the tours sound great. I think I'd even like to do the one in the Land with the plants and all.

cinderellagrl
05-31-2008, 03:30 PM
I have never been on backstage magic, I imagine it would be wonderful.
My family and i have been on Keys to the Kingdom, and enjoyed it very much! A lot of information and backstage information!

We have also done the backstage safari; we loved it! We got to pet a rhino, see where they kept the animals, and go on a personal safari! Pure bliss! Very information and very fun! A great tour for any animal lover!

jefmblrd
06-01-2008, 10:43 AM
We've done the Keys to the Kingdom and Backstage Magic tours and while both were fantastic and well worth the money, Backstage Magic is the better (and much pricier at $200).

When we did it a couple of years ago, it covered all four parks, backstage and the utilidors in MK, World Showcase before it opened including backstage at the American Adventure, lunch at Mama Melrose, and a trip out to costuming, florist dept.,Disney offices, and the area where they make all types of things like ride vehicles and other things for the parks. It was an incredible day, and I would do it again in a minute.

One tip...if they offer you an earpiece for the tour, take it. It was great to be able to hear everything the tour guide, who was great, was saying. Even individual questions that other guests asked while we were walking from place to place.

Depending on how much time you have and how much you want to spend, either tour would be a great time.

Laughin' place
06-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Aqua Tours at Epcot/Living Seas is the BEST. I took my wife and sons (15,14,13 and 11), and all thought it was one of the greatest things we've ever done. Over about 3 hours, you tour behind the scenes at the Seas, then get to surface scuba INSIDE THE TANK. We loved swimming in the worlds largest inland aquarium, seeing the animals up close, and wavig to all the guests on the other side of the glass. Truly a unique experience !!!:number1:

poeticeclipse
06-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Aqua Tours at Epcot/Living Seas is the BEST. I took my wife and sons (15,14,13 and 11), and all thought it was one of the greatest things we've ever done. Over about 3 hours, you tour behind the scenes at the Seas, then get to surface scuba INSIDE THE TANK. We loved swimming in the worlds largest inland aquarium, seeing the animals up close, and wavig to all the guests on the other side of the glass. Truly a unique experience !!!:number1:

I agree totally! DH and I did it a month ago and LOVED IT!

Mickeydream
06-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Ok...what is/are utilidors? :confused: Just a guess here, but is that short for "utility doors"?

Flower
06-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Ok...what is/are utilidors? :confused: Just a guess here, but is that short for "utility doors"?

Utilidors!!!

The Utlidors is the 'underground city' at the MK. It is NOTHING glamorous, but the concept is so neat, as are the workings of it. Essentially the CM's travel in underground tunnels to get from say Fantasyland to Main Street without having to see the public! There is even a staff cafeteria located below ground. One of the interesting things about the utilidors is the garbage system - very efficient.

We really enjoyed the Keys to the Kingdom tour, it is approx. 4 hours at MK. The only real disappointing thing is we did not see anything in Fantasyland or Tomorrowland.

DISFREAKS
06-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Utilidors is short for Utility Corodors under MK. We've also done Keys to the Kingdom and loved it. Like Shugoondola, We also had Rae as our guide and thought she was great.
She was sooo funny when we asked her how the CMs felt about the 25th anniversary CAKE. She said they try not to think about it.

GrmGrninGost
06-23-2008, 10:23 PM
If you have an interest in the WDW steam trains then I highly recommend The Magic Behind our Steam Trains tour! We went last fall for the first time and absolutely loved it! :train:

Bay Lake
06-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I would have to say that Dive Quest is one of the best. You get to see how the attraction works plus you get a 45 min. scuba tour to explore the area on your own. People are taking your picture because they think that you work for Disney. I really liked swimming over to the Coral Reef and seeing what the guest were eating. I have done it 3 times already, and you can get a discount with your divers certification card.

:diver:

Bri
06-24-2008, 02:15 PM
The only tour we've done is Keys to the Kingdom. We had a tour guide named Matt Archer I think and he was awesome. You get A LOT of history about WDW. We got to jump the line for Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise. When we went back behind Splash Mountain to where the floats are, they were rehearsing for the Halloween parade which was awesome to watch. It's a great tour and you will have a great time if you do it!

Crow
06-25-2008, 08:41 PM
i did Hidden Treasures of World Showcase a few trips ago & liked it since i like Epcot the most. but its not offered anymore. Im debating what i should do in Sept since it may be my last trip for awhile.
mayb i should do the all 3 parks thingie

EditReject
06-26-2008, 12:11 AM
after many visits i am doing my first Keys To The Kingdom Tour on my next trip (on 8/8). i cannot wait. if any of you will be on the tour that day, look me up.

WedWay Peoplemover
06-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Obviously Wild by Design and Backstage Safari at Disney's Animal Kingdom!!

(ok.. fine... I'm a tad bit biased!!) :cool:

TIGGER17179
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Keys to the Kingdom is well worth it! Our tour guide had previously been Mickey Mouse! She was great! I made sure I was right by her at all times. I was in a group of 3 so I rode the rides with her and was able to get some inside knowledge of the rides and stuff. We did go to the underground on our tour but close your eyes because we saw Tigger with his head off... :(

Rhetoric2000
06-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Did the Backstage Safari last August with GF. Really enjoyed it. Definitely worth it if you're into animal welfare/husbandry, probaly not if you're not. Not necessarily a "glamourous" tour, but more of an informative one.

I can't compare it too much however since I have not done any other backstage tours

Belle_0717
06-26-2008, 09:53 PM
My DH and I did the Keys to the Kingdom tour on our honeymoon. We loved it.

On our last trip in March I took him on the backstage Safari at AK. He was excited because we saw a pregnant giraffe.

Crow
06-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Keys to the Kingdom is well worth it! Our tour guide had previously been Mickey Mouse! She was great! I made sure I was right by her at all times. I was in a group of 3 so I rode the rides with her and was able to get some inside knowledge of the rides and stuff. We did go to the underground on our tour but close your eyes because we saw Tigger with his head off... :(

"She" was Mickey Mouse?:confused:

im deciding which tour to do in Sept..