PDA

View Full Version : talk me in/out of it

Mrs.Mickey
05-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Yesterday my DH and I booked our 2 week vacation yesterday at the poly/ pop century and realized that we are spending 5000 on accomidations alone. Now I know that the AKL DVC are about 16000 for new members. I figured it this way we could use the 5000 instead as a downpayment for a DVC. We looked up the points and figured out we could stay for two weeks at akl or another dc for about 160 points ( we always go during the low seasons) My question is it worth it? My biggest thing stopping me is not being able to stay at the Poly my fav!

nls721
05-28-2008, 08:26 PM
I am still undecided about DVC and that is one of my concerns, not being able to stay at the other resorts. Yes, you could use DVC points at Poly but it is a HUGE amount and I think you need to pay $95 fee as well. My solution is I do DVC is to stay a couple nights at the start or end of each trip at a non DVC resort. Maybe that would work for you.

goingbacktodisney
05-28-2008, 09:47 PM
We had 175 points at SSR and sold them..for a few reasons.

1) The yearly dues were over $750
2) We bought at SSR because that was all that was available at the time. Stayed several times at WL and BWV and loved it..stayed at SSR once any vowed to never do it again.

We are in the market for a resale of where we would prefer to stay, such as BW or WL.

It got HARDER the longer we owned to get into other places at more peak times. I would suggest that if you buy, buy where you really enjoy staying so you do have to stay somewhere you don't really enjoy.

JMTStone
05-28-2008, 11:22 PM
I have most of my points at SSR and just added more buying resale through The Timeshare Store for AKV.

I consider DVC my "guarantee" vacation. I like SSR. I LOVE AKL. I"m trying the Boardwalk in 16 days (:woohoo:). When I first booked our Thanksgiving trip last year, we got the Poly, but changed our mind because MIL and FIL were supposed to visit and they hate the Poly (seriously, are they insane?). Next year, I'm using my points to do a 7 day DCL cruise.

Hubby and I did the numbers and we started seeing return on the investment after 6 years on paper but when we booked the cruise it turned into 5 years. And we had the funds available from a work bonus and savings... so we went for it. I wouldn't "borrow" for it and pay interest.

Is Disney where you want to go for the next 20 years? Sit down and do a 15 year plan. If you make your money back in 1/2 the time, you may feel good about the decision.

DVC Mike
05-29-2008, 07:11 AM
We love DVC! That said, it's not for everyone.

Have you read this thread?

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=120253

aurorafan
05-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Point costs on the weekends are pretty high--you could book a cash stay at the Poly on the weekends and use your points for a DVC resort during the week--that way you get the best of both :).

My family loves POR and my boys were a little dissapointed to think we wouldn't be staying there anymore. What we'll probably do next year is stay at POR on cash Fri. and Sat. nights and then move to AKV for Sun.-Thurs. :thumbsup:

FutureCorpsFan
05-30-2008, 01:51 PM
You noticed the same problem we did. We were finding ourselves going back and staying at the moderate resorts and wondering where break point would be. For us it was after 5 years we would see a return, so we bought at BCV. We too were concerned about going to the non-DVC resorts but beleive me, you will get very comfortable going to DVC resorts because you get more for you points than at a standard deluxe room. Also, because you know that you always have the option to return to Disney, you will start to enjoy your vactions more by not having to worry about running around to see everything in a single trip. You also tend not to care where you stay because you are not constantly in hurry to get any place. This is one reason we purchased at AKV. We know it's a bit out of the way, but the resort is absoloutly fantastic and you get to like being closer to AK and the Water Parks as a change.

I understand you love the Poly, but I think in comparison to the variety and flexibility offered with DVC, you will more than find similar or better alternatives.

lockedoutlogic
05-30-2008, 04:55 PM
the long and short of it is that you will spend about 60-65,000 over the course of the contract for a minimum number of points at the current prices....assuming a reasonable increase in maintenance fees....for somewhere between 40-45 years....about $1500.00 annually if averaged.

That is about 4-5 nights on average at rack rate (at CURRENT prices) for the deluxe resorts if paying cash....DVC will guarantee you-at a minimum- probably 8-10 nights (FOREVER)

there are advantages/ disadvantages to buying DVC.....i'll just throw out what i see as the biggest advantages....

1. Prices at WDW have escalated since it's inception...and aren't likely to stop. The value of a dollar also decreases....
Fixing the price of your stay is going to become a more and more valuable thing over time.....as the point values on the resorts are more or less fixed....they can play a little with them...but their end of the contract you sign is that they can't start charging 20 points a night for a room that was 12....and then more and more.
So your exchange value is the same....which means the prices you are paying for your room at the Deluxes is going down each year....comparable to paying cash.

2. It guarantees flexibility....which is very nice being that you have basically a timeshare that can meet your schedule's needs....not vice verse

3. The DVC properties are the upper end of the WDW resort spectrum....which is also nice to lock in. I've stayed at all of the different locations except 1....and they are all great with their own perks......but the deluxes are considerably better in most ways on the whole....we can't really spin this any other way.

but there are also disadvantage as well....

1. if for some reason you have issues that don't allow you to travel for 2+ years....the 1 year bank is a problem.....though i don't this occurs often.

2. as they sell more memberships....the flexibility in where and when your stay becomes less of a benefit.....basically you know can get locked out of locations at times....where you rarely did the first 10 or so years....
It is what i like to call "The Saratoga Effect"...as it corresponds with them building Saratoga....with more membership points available there than at Boardwalk, Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, and Vero Beach combined.

3. Can anyone really see themselves going on the same trip for that long? Well...most DVC members (myself included...and i'm 30) have gone multiple dozen times +.....
...but it is possible that travel can slack off over time. plus we never know what direction disney will take....what new technology will affect travel....or even what our world will be like. It is a long term committment on discretionary spending.

And though we do have exchange possibilities...the simple fact is you get the most out of it going to a DVC site....by far....

even the DCL exchange isn't particular good on paper for the points.....and they have shown no indication that they will ever put emphasis on better ports of call....alot of Castaway Cay and maybe one other decent stop

just to show you where i'm coming from.....we never thought of DVC....an hour later it was signed, sealed, and paid for.....

we don't see ourselves tiring of WDW or orlando....we have no problem yielding it to others if it becomes mundane....and we like the deluxe resorts.....

so it was the right choice.

my one piece of advice is to save up first if you need to.....the more interest and time you use to pay off the purchase decreases the value of the membership based on APR....

good luck

CaptainJessicaSparrow
06-03-2008, 10:22 AM
One thing I like to consider is how you can also use the points in California and Hawai'i now that DVC will have resorts in both places.

You can also use the points to stay in several places around the world, all you'd have to do is bank them into the next year. Want to visit Paris or London? You can use them for certain resorts, it will just cost a lot more.

Want to go on the Cruise Line? You can do it - they even have special DVC Only cruises.

Essentially, it is a timeshare but it's also a whole lot more flexible and fun.

Ian
06-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Point costs on the weekends are pretty high--you could book a cash stay at the Poly on the weekends and use your points for a DVC resort during the week--that way you get the best of both :).This is what we do, too. It's actually really great, because your points go further and you also get to stay in and enjoy some of the other resorts.

But as far as whether or not you should buy in, that's a pretty personal decision. If you're going to be good with staying at VAKL most of the time, then I would say yes ... you should do it.

Tinkerfreak
06-03-2008, 11:41 AM
We have considered DVC many times and if we lived closer we would have allready joined. We not only have to consider the price of the points and maintenance fees but being 1200 miles away we have to factor in the cost of airfare and that is not cheap. We talked about doing the tour when we go in November just to check it out. With oldest DD going into hight school the year after next we know that our trips during the slow time will stop because we will not longer pull her out of school. We will either have to go during vacations or in the summer so it will cost us more. If it was not for airfare we would join and DH and I would go a couple of times a year for a few days at a time but it just is so expensive.
I am so envious of all of you who live close enough to be able to go several times a year. I agree that it must really make your trips so much more relaxing knowing that you will definately be going back. I'm so happy for all of you who can enjoy DVC.

RedPanda
06-07-2008, 02:47 PM
We've been members since 1992 and go at least once a year. We've been visiting in June the last few years, but also take short value season trips when there are good airfares (may be a thing of the past, though :(...).

Many folks find they get very accustomed to the extra space at the DVC resorts. I know we have. We love DVC, but are looking at how we will be using it in the future; gas prices and airline upheavals are a big concern. A single trip a year is probably the way we will go; we will simply stay longer. We don't feel locked into going to Disney; we've traveled widely in the past and plan an Ireland trip in a few years. But we really enjoy WDW so much more since our DVC purchase and don't regret it at all.:thumbsup: