PDA

View Full Version : Epcot Back Gate

elmjimmlm
05-28-2008, 09:42 AM
I have read so many different things about New Years Eve and I am trying to find the best place to be...I want to be in one of the parks that night but really dont want to spend an entire day in one elbow to elbow...
I was reading about being at the Boardwalk and being able to see the fireworks from both Epcot and HS...If that is possible, where would you be able to do that?
Do you know if they give out the NYE hats there? Would you be able to get into Epcot from the back gate?
Thanks

JasonH
05-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Unfortunately I've not been to Boardwalk to know exactly where you would need to be at to see the fireworks, but b/c of how it is situated between the two parks, it doesn't surprise me you can see the fireworks. CB and Pop are great resorts to be able to see Epcot's fireworks and with Pop I think you can also see the fireworks from DHS as well. Whether they hand out hats like they do at the parks, that I'm not sure. Of the times I've been at WDW for NYE, I've always been at one of the parks, either Epcot or, back then, Disney-MGM b/c of the special entertainment they've had. Back in 1991 they had a 30 years of Rock'n'Roll concert that featured Jewel Akins, Pat Upton from Spiral Staircase, Jerry Corbetta from Sugarloaf, Donnie Brooks, Al Wilson, Eddie Sorranto(sp?) from Cannibal & The Headhunters, Tiny Tim, The Tokens and finally Mickey Dolenz from The Monkees. Something that special was well worth the wait and crowds that were there....course my fam and I arrived at the stage for it 3 hours prior to first showtime and only had 2 other people already there at the front and nobody else really showed up until about 90 minutes prior. :funny: But just to prove a point, it may be worth going to one of the parks depending on what kind of entertainment they may have. Otherwise, hopefully someone else will post with some info that I don't have. Good luck! :thumbsup:

BronxTigger
05-28-2008, 04:15 PM
You can see Illuminations from the bridge between the Boardwalk and the Beach Club. However, it's a limited view and you will only see the fireworks that go above the buildings.

I don't know the answers to your NYE specific questions.

Pirate Granny
05-28-2008, 08:24 PM
We were at EPCOT two year ago NYE...and it was a zoo...I believe they closed both entrances around noon...not sure if they reopen after the crowds leave around midnight. The park was open until 2am that night I think. HOWEVER...we ran and caught the second bus back to Pop immediately after the fireworks...took 30 minutes in traffic to get back...spoke to other people the next day and they waited 90 minutes on average to get back to the hotel using the bus. SO...I personally would go to a park that is closest to my hotel...in 2004 we stayed at FQ and drove and as we had friends staying at the Contemporary (who didn't drive, but gave us their parking pass)...we got out of the MK at 12:30am and were in our rooms by 1pm...driving the back roads between the Contemporary and FQ... There is something special being at the parks for NYE...just be very prepared for the crowds...
:pirate:

Natazu
05-29-2008, 05:25 AM
My DW, Rachel (sagessa on ICOT) was at Disney NYE 06//07 year. Feel free to send her a PM if she doesn't mosey up to this thread on her own.

I can tell you this for sure, wherever you're going, get there early because the generally stop letting people into the parks by 2pm at the latest.

sagessa
05-29-2008, 09:30 AM
If you really want to be in one of the parks for the turn of the year, Epcot is the one to pick. Becuse the park is so large, it doesn't feel as crowded as the others. I would avoid Magic Kingdom at all costs, as there will barely be enough room to breathe.

We spent the early afternoon in Epcot on New Year's Eve and then left to eat dinner. We watched the Magic Kingdom fireworks, but from the Contemporary. We chose Magic Kingdom because they were doing the Fantasy in the Sky show and none of us had seen it it quite some time.

The Comtemporary was a great location to watch the fireworks, but wherever you end up make sure that you arrive very early. Prime locations for New Year's Eve fireworks viewing fill up super fast. We staked out our spot almost 2 hours early and there were already quite a few people there.

Rachel R.

SpaceMtn101
05-29-2008, 12:38 PM
unfortunately if you go to a park for new years you have to pick a park and stay in it all day or pick a resort where u can see from your room. The parks reach capacity for the fireworks and for the day usually. It is a madhouse in some parks to the point where you cant move.
you may get lucky and be able to get into a park later in the evening but dont be upset if you cant do to capacity issues.
Ive always worked new years eve so i have never seen which show is best but for a side note the new years eve ones at mk is usually done for two or 3 days in a row.

bruin1344
05-29-2008, 01:04 PM
never gone around new years but the back entrance is great, no waits or mad rush when leaving

minnie1956
05-29-2008, 08:42 PM
We've done NYE a couple of times now.
If you definitely want to be at a Park, pick one and stick to it. They open and close the gates all day at all the parks depending on fluctuations in the crowd. We've always done MK. Never did Epcot, was afraid due to availability of alcohol of too many adults having access to too much to drink. Noisemakers and such are loud and noisy normally, but when there is a bit of alcohol.....
Anyway, good luck with your decision