PDA

View Full Version : Please don't hate on me..

AuntDJ
05-27-2008, 02:49 PM
So I am headed to the World in 9 days....WOOHOO!!!

But..about a week and half ago my clumsiness took over and I tripped in my garage. My whole foot swelled (all the way to the toes) and the ankle swelled to the size of a tennis ball. I finally went to the doctor and thankfully it is not broken but has 2 severly strained ligaments and achilles tendon.

The doctor said I should be fine for the World, but I am a little worried as it is very achy. Which brings me to this post....I have every intention of walking and really have a fairly high pain tolerance, BUT...if I have to I think I may rent an ECV for a day or so.

So...if you see a healthy looking brunette with a small very blonde 6 year old walking beside her, please be kind and do not poo poo on us...please...

Although I know I will get "the look" if I do decide to rent one....just wanted to put my plea in writing...

Thanks for listening!

DJ

DDuck66
05-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Good luck and maybe your foot will not be hurting so bad by the time you go...that way you will not have to rent an ECV and get the "look". If you are really injured, I do not think anyone would begrudge you the vehicle. I think people's biggest problem is those that bring a huge party with them. I have seen parties of up to 20 go with one person in an ECV. I try to not let it bother me and hopefully everyone else will do the same.

RockinRollerMom
05-27-2008, 03:13 PM
I would not worry about "the looks" if I were you. I would be surprised if you got them at all. ECV's are meant for people who really need them and by the sounds of it you may really need one. I think people's negativity around ECV is about people who use them who really do not need them. On our last trip my MIL used an ECV for some days. She had knee surgery a few months before our trip and just couldn't take the pain on the long days. On the days that were more laid back we just took it slow with her. I didn't notice any-one giving her any bad looks at all. By all means if you need one I would not hesitate to get one. That is what they are for!
Hope you have a magical trip.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-27-2008, 03:21 PM
I am in the same boat.
I had a major knee reconstuction last month and my husband and I are heading to WDW on Monday for three days.
My surgeon really wants me to get a wheelchair or ECV. I am not quite sure I am going to but, I might not have much choice as I just got off crutches last week after 6 weeks and my leg is quite weak. My knee is still very swollen and stiff as well.
So, I have been worried about the same looks! I hope your foot heals up quickly and you have a great trip!!:)

KAT1811
05-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Good luck! I wouldn't worry about other people. Go and have a great time!!! I wouldn't look at you funny unless you ran over my foot with your ECV then I might turn funny! LOL!! ;)

azdisneymom
05-27-2008, 04:45 PM

So...if you see a healthy looking brunette with a small very blonde 6 year old walking beside her, please be kind and do not poo poo on us...please...
DJ

Who would give you 'the look'? Not me, I would just be so glad to be there. ...and yes I am very jealous that you are there and I am not. :)

Do what is best for you. It would be a shame to go all that way and spend the money only to be sidelined because of pain. (You, too, Sean's Mom) Take care of youself and enjoy your family.

tinklover
05-27-2008, 04:59 PM
LOL i am going to be leaving in 9 days as well in the parks the 8th thru the 11th i am gonna look for ya just so I can give ya the look loljust kidding but i would love to meet some of the intercotees going and I hope you make out well with your ankle hun.

Jasper
05-27-2008, 05:08 PM

But..about a week and half ago my clumsiness took over and I tripped in my garage. My whole foot swelled (all the way to the toes) and the ankle swelled to the size of a tennis ball. I finally went to the doctor and thankfully it is not broken but has 2 severly strained ligaments and achilles tendon.

The doctor said I should be fine for the World, but I am a little worried as it is very achy. Which brings me to this post....I have every intention of walking and really have a fairly high pain tolerance, BUT...if I have to I think I may rent an ECV for a day or so.

Although I know I will get "the look" if I do decide to rent one....just wanted to put my plea in writing...

Thanks for listening!

DJ

Since you say it is mostly in your ankle and foot I would also seriously consider getting a very good foot/ankle wrap/brace and wear it while you are on your feet. I had a similar situation about 10 years ago and it REALLY helped to have it tightly wrapped during the day. Yes, the wrap did get hot and itchy during the day but having the extra support was well worth the aggravation of wearing it!

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Don't worry about any "looks", you know that you're doing the best you can, and that you need the ECV to be able to enjoy your Disney vacation.

We had Mom rent and ECV on our last trip, she had knee surgery a couple of months before our trip, and there was no way she could have managed...who cares about the looks, we had a great time.:mickey:

mdricks
05-27-2008, 06:18 PM
I'll make you a deal. You pay for me to go to WDW with you and i will run screaming excitedly through the park like three year old ahead of you so that no one even noticies you. :thumbsup:

(Why should this trip be any different right?)

KineGirl
05-27-2008, 06:31 PM
too bad ...Im hating on you! :mickey: You cant stop me ;)

BUT it has nothing to do with looking healthy in an ECV but rather that you get to go in 9 days!!! :party:

I hope your foot magically feels better before your trip but if not...

Try to still have so much fun its crazy!

BluewaterBrad
05-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Hope you have a great trip!!:mickey:

biodtl
05-27-2008, 07:17 PM
It can be frustrating, but try to ignore any looks. DH has an "invisible" handicap and last time he needed one, too.

Also - the brace is a good idea- it might help you feel better, plus it makes your "problem" more visible.

AuntDJ
05-27-2008, 07:44 PM
THANKS for all your words of encouragement!

I agree about the wrap and already have it in the "packing" room. Actually the doctor gave me one to wear....

SeanRiley's Mom- I hope you have a great trip..knee surgery can be very taxing...get the ECV...you will be glad you did.

mdricks- I would love to pay for you to come with me....but....since I lost my job earlier this month, it is all I can do to pay for this trip!!!!

I know this can be a touchy subject so Thanks again for supporting me!

DJ

Young@Heart
05-27-2008, 07:50 PM
You do whatever you need to and enjoy your vacation!! Don't worry about any looks. As long as you're not rolling over any toes, who cares about the grumpy people at WDW.

big blue and hairy
05-27-2008, 07:57 PM
The only people I give the look to are the ones who can't drive the things! If you need one, you need one, no biggie.

:sulley:

disneymom2000
05-27-2008, 08:13 PM
After my last trip, I will tell you to rent the EVC if it makes you more comfortable. I am one of those people who hate to look handicapped because you can't see my handicap. I have had two large spinal surgeries and have all kinds of metal (rods, plates, pins, cages) down and in my vertibrae which makes it hurt to walk for a long way or time. But you can't see anything unless I wear a backless shirt and you can see my scars. I was determined not to give in to the pain and so I didn't rent an EVC. After that trip, which I didn't really enjoy Disney - I won't have a problem renting one this trip.

SgtTigger
05-27-2008, 08:36 PM
THANKS for all your words of encouragement!

Oh NO....... You know I am going to be looking for you DJ......

Just so I can give you the look.... :eek2:

Hey I am going to be there So I can give you the look.......... Now I just hope I can find you to give you the look.....:funny:

In case I dont see you down there..... Let me give you one now.. :eek2:

:cop: :tigger:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
05-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Hope your foot feels better when your trip comes. Just relax and have fun at Disney!!!!!
Say Hi to Sulley for me at Hollywood Studios......I'll be seeing him in November from the 24th thru December 5th.:sulley:Hope all goes well with your vacation. Remember, you're at the happiest place on earth. So----------------------------be happy and enjoy yourself:mickey:

AuntDJ
05-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Brett- you have me sooo :confused: by all of your looks....that I owe you a special Thanks as you have occupied my mind soooo well all the ankle pain is forgotten!!!!:thumbsup:

I am just glad that you don't have to be "flat" for you anniversary trip!!!!

DJ

azdisneymom
05-27-2008, 10:21 PM
I'll make you a deal. You pay for me to go to WDW with you and i will run screaming excitedly through the park like three year old ahead of you

I would be willing to make the same deal. After all I do have a teenager and have learned the art of the 'glare'. Trust me, it shuts anyone up. :rolleyes:

KAT1811
05-27-2008, 10:29 PM
I'll make you a deal. You pay for me to go to WDW with you and i will run screaming excitedly through the park like three year old ahead of you so that no one even noticies you. :thumbsup:

I'll even bring the three year old (we have one of those on hand) :yes: . She and I can go running :bolt: and screaming ahead of you, I assure you no one will even notice you're there :hide:! :silly:

You'll be fine! Don't hurt yourself further or be uncomfortable during your trip because of other people.

SgtTigger
05-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Brett- you have me sooo :confused: by all of your looks....that I owe you a special Thanks as you have occupied my mind soooo well all the ankle pain is forgotten!!!!:thumbsup:

I am just glad that you don't have to be "flat" for you anniversary trip!!!!

DJ

Hey if you do rent a cart you could run me over and make me flat..... :funny::rotfl:

ok ok maybe you would have to run me over more than once to make me flat.... it could be like a speed bump....... Hey you know what is cool........ we did this to Angel..... you sneek up on the person driving and hit the key to the off position..... sudden stop......oh man did she yell at Taylor....... and she did not even do it......:D
wait maybe I should not have told you that......

We will be in MK on the 9th and at Epcot friday before 6th if you want to look for us......:D

:cop: :tigger:

Marilyn Michetti
05-27-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm with Kine Girl. I'll hate you too. You're a brunette young enough to have a six year old.:D

I bring my ECV with me from Az. I'm an old lady, but my disability isn't apparent unless I'm walking. Then everyone will think I'm drunk:marg:

Don't worry about the few legitimate "looks" you get. People judging you aren't worth the time, so don't let them ruin your trip:nope:

minnie1956
05-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Do anything that might set you back in your recovery!!
The ONLY time I've EVER stared at someone in an ECV is when 5 minutes before another member of their party was sitting their keester in it!! :nono:
Please do not take away the joy of the joint, by worrying about what anyone who is NOT in your shoes MIGHT think.
You've endured enough pain, I've been there.
Don't want to do that again!:medic:

Mousemates
05-27-2008, 11:47 PM
ignore the haters...they're never worth the worry...and two minutes after your gone they will have focused their critical eyes and negative energy on something or someone else.

Taja
05-28-2008, 11:17 AM

Thanks for listening!

DJ

Do what works best for you and don't worry about anyone else!

I've made four visits to WDW with foot/leg injuries. Three I should have rented an ECV--and didn't. The fourth (last December) I should have cancelled altogether. Unfortunately, I help the AP that qualified us for significant room discounts, which made the trip affordable for the others in our party. *sigh*

Have a safe journey and a magical holiday!

Gooftroop5
05-28-2008, 03:17 PM

Wish I could be there to give you the look.;) Do what you need to do to have a good time. Who cares what other people think. You paid your money too.

I think people's biggest problem is those that bring a huge party with them. I have seen parties of up to 20 go with one person in an ECV.

Must have been my Aunt who is paralized so can not get out of her wheelchair or off her ECV without help but my relatives always tag along to hop on the ride with her. She got tired of it & started not going on rides because they were using her for that reason to get on the rides & bus ahead of everyone. Now they no longer travel together. Reason being she wouldn't let them use her anymore.

We aren't a group of 20 but we are a group of 14 with one ECV, plus strollers & me trying to dispose of my brother.:thedolls: It's for my father who will look perfectly healthy too. He has had 2 toes removed (one on each foot) & can't do a lot of standing & all the walking bothers him. The dr told him not to do any amount of walking he needs to ride in a wheelchair. He has an ECV. You wouldn't know this by looking at him. He doesn't have special shoes or anything other than he uses a cane to help keep his balance. Dh & I say we are not going to take advantage of any of it & we will wait in line & use FP. We think that there should be an area for large parties like that to have the person in the wheelchair or on the ECV wait with 1 other person & the rest of the party stands in line & when they get through the line the person in the wheelchair & other person waiting with them join them. 3 other people that are going feel the same way. I know a lot has changed with how this line stuff is handled. I am waiting for my mom to get the rude awakening when it doesn't happen how she thinks it is going to happen. My relatives that went with my aunt in the wheelchair filled her in on what to do. She is also figuring she can exploit my neices recent problems too.:mad: Sorry i didn't mean to get off topic. Its something I feel really strong about. Especially since my mom doesn't want to listen on how it doesn't work this way anymore. (Thanks to the people on INTERCOT that has been recently & shared their experiences on how it worked for them)

Anyways...standing in line gives me a chance to get away from it all. :D

Jeri Lynn
05-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Good luck with your ankle. I hope it is feeling better by the time you go on your vacation.

My sister twisted her ankle a couple of weeks ago and she is still finding after a day on her foot her ankle still swells..

I would recommend each night to ice it and put it up as much as you can when you are not walking...and rent an ECV, don't worry about any looks!

Enjoy!

mrbghd
05-28-2008, 04:30 PM
1) ignore the looks
2) ignore the looks
3) ignore the looks
Do you get where I am going. My problem is with those that cannot drive the ECV and think that I would make a good object to stop them. I have had ligament and tendon damage a few times and I found that an ankle wrap is good in the parks. I use the neoprene ones since they keep the joint warm and help to loosen it (not that I need help being warm in July in Florida)
Enjoy your trip you are not taking advantage of the system you are the type of person who needs the assistance.:mickey:

kakn7294
05-28-2008, 04:38 PM
If you get "the look" from anyone, just smile sweetly and wave - let them know you saw them giving the look. Otherwise, don't worry about it and have a great time. Here's some :pixie: for a speedy recovery so you don't even need an ECV!

Capt. Sparrow
05-29-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm giving you the look...but only bc your heading to the world in 9 days and I'm not!!!:mickey:

pink
05-29-2008, 07:34 PM
That's a bummer but I bet you'll be ok. Don't feel bad about having to get maybe get the extra help, you know that you need it and thats all that matters. I won't be there that week but I wish you luck that nobody gives you bad looks. Have a wonderful trip! :mickey:

Bethis26fan
05-29-2008, 09:43 PM
You probably will have to rent one. I pulled the ligament/tendon in the inside of my foot 4 months before we went last year and by the end of my trip I was in so much pain if we would have had one more day I wouldn't have made it. Good luck and remember to take breaks with it. The dr told me what I did would be more painful than if I broke it, so I can only imagine what you are going through. With all that said do what you have to, to make your trip magical.

AuntDJ
06-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Hey all- I am back...made it with no ECV..probably should have gotten one a couple of days....so instead of wheeling around I hobbled....my foot is really sore, but I made it and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

thanks for all your words of support. I have never written a trip report, but I am going to write one this time...so stay tuned...

DJ

Piglet822
06-15-2008, 02:12 AM
I wish I had seen this post before you went because I definitely would have recommended the ECV - I did something to my achilles tendon back in December and it's still not completely healed. Much better than it was and I do exercises in the pool to help strengthen it.
I'm glad to hear you had a good time anyway :)

chelly4568
06-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Have fun and I hope everything goes well:mickey::medic: