PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the Handicapped?

CaptainSad
05-27-2008, 01:18 PM
I am planning a trip to bring my Mother and Father down hopfully the week or two before Christmas. They are both 80 years old. My father has a leg problem and my mother is on Oxygen and just recently found out she has Bladder Cancer. This is her favorite place and has not been down for six years. I promised her I would get her there if at all possible. She can't fly because of the Oxygen so I will be driving down.(Ouch!! the Gas) I have to plan this out. We are looking to her health care plan about anyway to supply and exchange tanks in Florida or if they offer to give us the use of machine that fills the tanks. That part will be the hardest. I know I will need to rent the ECV's while down there. They can still drive those anyway.
I was wondering if any of you have had to do somthing like this? What have you done or what does Disney do to help with special needs and such.

faline
05-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Disney is quite accommodating to those with special needs. On Intercot, we have a whole forum dedicated to discussions on special needs while on a Disney trip so we're heading to that forum now!

MsMin
05-28-2008, 09:59 AM
I took my parents in Dec. 2006 My dad has had 3 strokes and diabetic and my mom has some serious foot problems and difficulty walking far.
We had to drive too. Driving means stopping often b/c of circulation etc. It's not good for anyone and especially elderly to sit for extended periods. It took us 14 hours to go less than 500 miles. Instead of stopping and stretching his legs my dad would want to stop and go to a restaurant that sort of defeated the purpose b/c you are just sitting again. So for driving I recommend making the stops frequent but quick. (My dd bought her car in Peabody so I know that drive you have :eyes:).
My dad loves WDW and I brought him back for what I thought was the last time in 2006 and as soon as we got home he was planning another trip :( He didn't make things easy traveling with everyone so my mom didn't want to go back right away. She finally decided he can return this year but I really doubt he will make it:(
One thing I wish I would have asked for was a bathroom that was more accessible b/c it was difficult for him to get in and out despite the fact that he didn't need a w/c in the room.
Does your mom have any special medical needs?
I was considering hiring private care for our Oct. trip but calling a local agency for someone to help come in and bathe him and any wound care if needed.
We did rent 2 scooters from outside sources. It made things so much easier but my dad tended to run a little rough and got lost a couple times (he doesn't turn on the cell phone b/c he saves the battery) He did flip the chair twice, once was not his fault b/c he was not told to get off the scooter in the bus and he was traveling alone and didn't get off and was too heavy and flipped it. I wonder if the driver even strapped it down.
So what kind of needs do your parents have? My dad is on a catheter now and practically sleeps all day :(
We did enjoy staying at BWV and my parents could just leave and go to their favorite park.. EPCOT.

thejens
05-31-2008, 11:42 PM
my Mom is in similar situation and just enjoyed a great trip in the World. You may look into an Imogen One oxygen concentrator. It is a wonderful small and portable concentrator that you can take on planes. It is a pulse not continuous, so that might not work. The good news is that my mom therefore was able to get the insurance to pay for it. You can get oxygen on planes (for a price) but then what do you do when you get off plane? My Mom cannot wait until she arrives at resort. So the Imogen One was a life saver. We rented a scooter from Walker Rental. It was waiting for her at the Front Desk at the Polynesian. It has been very easy to go everywhere with it. Most rides allow her to ride right up to the ride or close. Sometimes it gave us a slight advantage, more often was exactly the same, occasionally a slight delay. The scooter is allowed on busses, monorail, and was very easy. The staff is terrific about helping. We did not request a GAC, but still staff were helpful and perceptive. On one ride a cast member asked if my Mom had 30 minutes of oxygen left, just in case. She did. Once she realized her oxygen battery was low. We were able to request a table near an outlet and they were very nice. There are plenty of ramps and cool places to go as needed. We even canceled dinner reservations at Brown Derby due to her fatigue one day and they understood and did not penalize us. So go and have a great time. Plan extra nap time!!