PDA

View Full Version : Missing Child

Emme&TeddysMommy
05-27-2008, 10:14 AM
We will be going to WDW in September and are traveling with a 2 year old and a 1 year old. I know this sounds crazy, but does anyone put a tag or info card somewhere on their child just in case they ever become separated. My children are pretty good about listening, but my husband has a fear maybe some one will break free and we might get separated. Does anyone have any suggestions or had this ever happened to anyone?

tinklover
05-27-2008, 10:33 AM
My DD's are not quite as young but.... we have temp tatoos that came with markers and they are info tattoos incase tehy are lost. we have taken the girls before and they know what the cm's look like and what they wear. they know that if by chance they get seperated they are to find a cm and pull their sleave up and show them the temp tattoo which has our name their name and our cell #'s for the cm to call us .

Flower
05-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Do not make your child's name visible, it would be so easy for a stranger to say "Hey Johnny, come here"....

I went to a pet store and used the machine to make up 2 dog tags with Brandon's name and my cell phone # on them, I attached one to each of his shoes using tie locks. The writing was placed face down so it was only visible if picked up and flipped over. This method was 2-fold, obviously for identity reasons in case he got lost, but he also had a HORRIBLE habit of pulling his shoes off while we were shopping - it was no fun trying to back track thru Costco to find his shoes!

There are some AWESOME identity things on the market now, personalized bracelets, kid designed dog tags, even temporary tattoos.

You could also make your own cards and have them laminated and placed on a string too.

azdisneymom
05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Another piece of advice from others on this site. Take a picture of your child each day as you head out to the parks. If they do run over to meet Cinderella and you are standing in line for Dumbo you have the picture to describe their clothing exactly.

Have a good trip. Keep in mind that most kids never get lost.

Fryguy
05-27-2008, 12:57 PM
My DD's are not quite as young but.... we have temp tatoos that came with markers and they are info tattoos incase tehy are lost. we have taken the girls before and they know what the cm's look like and what they wear. they know that if by chance they get seperated they are to find a cm and pull their sleave up and show them the temp tattoo which has our name their name and our cell #'s for the cm to call us .

This is the approach that we are going to use this year. Nice and simple and there is little for the kid to remember if they get scared.

There are quite a few companies out there, just do a google search and you can find them.

scootch713
05-27-2008, 01:54 PM
I put a piece of masking tape in my kids shoes with my number in perm marker. They are a bit older, but they know it is there and they know to go to anyone with a name tag on.

Tick-Tock
05-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Our friends used the Petsmart machines to do a tag for each kid, unlaced their tennis shoes, then put the tag on the laces before they were laced up again. The advantage was that the writing wasn't visible, but the tags themselves were easy to see (CMs would probably notice immediately). Plus they were cheap and in-hand right away.

Emme&TeddysMommy
05-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all the reply's. You all have great ideas! I don't know what I would do with out all of you on intercot. :rocks:

Where can you purchsase the tattoo's?

azdisneymom
05-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Oops. forgot. Have you ever looked at Who's Shoes ID, Child Safety Kits online? You can do a Google search for them.

SgtTigger
05-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Another piece of advice from others on this site. Take a picture of your child each day as you head out to the parks.

AS a Police officer....... Great Idea.... moms never can remember what they were wearing..... to much going through they minds at the time........

Oops. forgot. Have you ever looked at Who's Shoes ID, Child Safety Kits online? You can do a Google search for them.

The shoe idea is a great one I have seen them in the past.....

:cop: :tigger:

mickeys_princess_mom
05-27-2008, 10:10 PM
As my 'sister' headed off to the Magic today, and I watched my favorite little 2 year old prince dashing around, I half-jokingly told her, "Get a marker and write your cell phone number on this boy's arm."....I see I'm not the only one who worries like this! He does like to bolt!!

:hug: :prince:

tinksmom02
05-27-2008, 10:44 PM
I had silcone bracelets (like the yellow Lance Armstrong ones) made up last year for DD5 to wear. They had my name and cell #, and DH's name and cell #. DD has a tiny wrist, so we had her wear it as an ankle bracelet. It worked out well, but they're not really cheap, and unfortunately are now worthless because DH has changed his phone number! :mad:

gamblefamily5
05-28-2008, 12:45 AM
We used the monkey backpack with a tail that you can get at Wal-Mart for like $10.00. So many people kept asking me where I got it from! I could have probably sold it for a lot of money the last day I was there! It was great to have b/c the kids can't get away from you!

kakn7294
05-28-2008, 12:52 AM
My sister has the "Who's Shoes" for both my niece and nephew - she searched and ordered from the internet. They work on both laced and velcro sneakers as well as many sandals. My DD's are older and can remember my cell # (and now have cell's of their own) but just in case, I print a credit card sized card on cardstock that has their name, our resort, our names, and my cell # - I laminate it with that peel & stick stuff you can buy at Walmart. They carry them in their bags.

tinklover
05-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks for all the reply's. You all have great ideas! I don't know what I would do with out all of you on intercot. :rocks:

Where can you purchsase the tattoo's?

well since I wrote the post yesterday I went to see if I had enough that I could just give you some seeinga s we will be at the same resort reading your signature and I am OUT. I don't know how or when it happened. ugh. but I will pm you the link to the site to get them.

jrkcr
05-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Wow! Ya'll have a lot better ideas than I have!! When my kids were younger, I just wrote with a permanent marker on their tummy!! :blush:

And we STILL use our "family song". If we get separated, we stop where we are, and sing (loudly) a song we made up years ago...a song about our cat, and how fat he is. No one else in the "world" would know this song, and it is meaningless to everyone else except us. But since we sing it alot, we all know this song and it is our signal for stop and listen, and find each other. Sounds crazy....but it works.

Gooftroop5
05-29-2008, 03:41 PM
We used the monkey backpack with a tail that you can get at Wal-Mart for like $10.00. So many people kept asking me where I got it from! I could have probably sold it for a lot of money the last day I was there! It was great to have b/c the kids can't get away from you!

We have a monkey & a dog one for each of the younger ones. Wish they had one to fit the 9yo...lol. We get a lot of people especially grandparents asking about them. Then we get a few teenagers complaining to their moms about the kids wearing them. I always hear the mother saying "we had them for you when you were that age." or "wish I had one was you were that age."

We always use the lost kids tags from the state fair. I like the idea of the tatoos. I never heard of them. I will look for them.

jonahbear2006
05-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Disneyworld has machines similar to the dog tag machines that makes a military like dog tag for your child for $10 a piece and they can get their favorite character on one side and name and your cell number on the other. We slid them onto the laces of the shoes and even though we never had a problem, we had it covered just in case.

dismommy
05-29-2008, 09:41 PM
I made little laminated cards for my son to carry in his pockets or shoe (if no pockets) with my name and DH, cell phone number and resort we are staying at in case he gets separated he knows to give it to a cast member.