PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story Mania and Motion Sickness??

hnybear22
05-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Can anyone who has ridden TSM give me any feedback on the possibility of motion sickness?? I was reading the descriptions of the ride and saw where two seats face forward and two face backwards- do the cars rotate??
I cannot watch the crush part of the Nemo ride or the tunnel in Buzz Lightyear without getting sick even with motion sickness patches so I am a little worried about the 3 d combined with a spinning or backwards ride!!
thanks for the info:mickey:

DDuck66
05-27-2008, 10:14 AM
We rode it during the passholder preview and did not have any problems. Your mention of the items that bother you, possible lead me to think that it is a visual problem, not really motion sickness. That being said, I would try it and close your eyes if it starts getting bad. The ride does not spin around except as it goes from station to station. Once it reaches the particular "game", the vehicle stops until that game is finished. Hope that helps.

JPL
05-27-2008, 10:25 AM
So far all reportys have Motion sickness as a nonfactor on this attraction but with that being said I'm sure some people with extreme problems still have the chance to become ill.

kadesha
05-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Not sure about TSM. However,I get severe motion sickness, and Crush and Buzz didn't bother me in the least.

Jasper
05-27-2008, 06:24 PM
I would tend to agree with DDuck66 that maybe it is more of a visual thing rather than motion. The best way to test it is exactly as DD66 said and go through with your eyes closed when it starts to get bad. If that helps then you know that you can ride but just have to close your eyes sometimes.

If it is a visual issue there is also an old dancer's trick of finding one spot to focus on and watch it as far around as possible then turn your head as quickly as possible back to that spot as you come around again and that often times helps. I have known dancers who got sick to the point of :ack: after just one or two revolutions until they learned how to "spot."

big blue and hairy
05-27-2008, 08:00 PM
If I recall correctly, the vehicles never really go more than half a turn at a time. Spinning makes me :sick: and TSM did absolutley nothing. It's fantastic, don't miss it!

:sulley:

tundramom
05-27-2008, 08:29 PM
I was wondering the same thing as I have similar problems as you. The other posters are correct in their assumption of vision being the culprit. What you are describing is a problem with Visual-Ocular Response system. It is tied into your central nervous systems ability to assimilate info involving eye and inner ear stimuli. There are actually exercises that you can do to help this system be less sensitive, however you have to do them frequently to maintain these gains. I always hit them hard before I head down to the World so I can do things like RnRC, I just close my eyes in the tunnel on Buzz because no matter what that just kills me. Gaze fixing or finding a spot to look at is one strategy as is closing your eyes if things get too intense unless you're like me and have vestibular problems too, which means no matter what you know you're moving. Best of luck and let the rest of us know what you think!