PDA

View Full Version : Your Child Rode What ?!?!

mommy2maddi
05-26-2008, 07:00 PM
We will be going to DW in june of next year. DD's will be 7 & 3. I've been reading on here about kids going on splash mountain and rnrc and tot and I can't believe it. I mean my kids have never been to dw or any other thrill park but I just thought they would be older before they rode those kind of rides. What rides did your kids ride at what age and did they love them or hate them??? I will be ecstatic if dd7 will be able to ride some of the thrill rides w/ me b/c dh is a chicken and would probably puke if I even asked him to ride tot or rnrc:sick:
Thanks ahead of time for any tips

Mousemates
05-26-2008, 07:13 PM
DS always rode every ride as soon as he was tall enough.

DD is a different bird...rode ToT for first time on a band trip this past May at the ripe old age of 15...I suppose there is nothing like peer pressure to move you past your fears. :mickey:

RockinRollerMom
05-26-2008, 07:21 PM
My DD is a thrill ride junkie. We took her on her first trip when she had just truned 4. She is very tall and made the height requirements for a lot of rides. That trip she went on everything but but RnR and TOT. She cried and cried that she was not tall enough to go on RnR. At 4 she loved Splash, Thunder, Space etc. EE was not opened at that time, but I know she would have loved that too. I felt completely safe with her going on these rides. I think you know your child best and have a good idea about what they might like/dislike. Work up to the bigger rides. Go on big thunder before going on spalsh. Go on splash before going on space etc. My DD has been going on RnR since she was 5 and loved it. Laughing hysterically wanting to go on it over and over again. Last trip when she was 6 she rode ToT and now that is her favorite ride. However she was so scared on the dinosaur ride at AK.

I wouldn't rule out thrill rides just because of a child's age. I am so glad that I let my DD try the "bigger" rides. Her trips to Disney have been much more magical because of it.:pixie:

MegaDisney
05-26-2008, 07:23 PM
I rode TOT for the first time at the age of 29! :blush:

Sorry couldn't resist!

I have seen a 6 year old who rode some very scary rides, and loved them and I have seen a 12 year old in tears after TOT. I think it really depends on the child.

Sunshine1010
05-26-2008, 07:26 PM
In regards to thrill rides:

At age 5, my son rode: ToT, Splash Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn Railroad, Test Track, Mission Space (easy)

Age age 6, my son rode: EE, TOT, Primevil Whirl, Dinosaur, Space Mountain, RnRR, Splash Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn Railroad, Test Track, Mission Space (easy)

Basically.....by age 6, he's been on EVERYTHING at the parks...literally. And loved it.

WDWFRK
05-26-2008, 07:35 PM
It totally depends on your children, their temperaments, and what they are willing to try.

My DD went on everything as soon as she was tall enough, but she is pretty daring. You know your kids best- encourage them to try rides but never push it. If you want to see how they do on coasters, try Goofy's Barnstormer as a test and then move on to Thunder Mountain if that goes well!

FYI- my DD will go on all the coasters and loves them all. However, she HATES It's Tough To Be a Bug and doesn't really care for Dinosaur. Go figure! (And BTW, we didn't know she wouldn't like these until she was already on them! :mickey:)

disneyfamily05
05-26-2008, 07:38 PM
Considering that I am not a big thrill ride person AT ALL- the fact that I get on these rides is a bigger feat than them! But on our last trip DD (then 4) and DS (then 6) rode Big Thunder and Splash Mountain - and loved every second. My mom and DS were sitting in the car in front of us on Big Thunder and DD (again, then 4) was screaming "Grandma lift up your head - look around! look around" and then would break into a fit of giggles (but she suddenly became afraid of POC this trip).

DS road Dinosaur but DD stayed in the Dig for that one. On our first trip when DS was 4 he and DH went on Test Track - and they both loved it.

I think alot of it depends on your child. Because I was not sure if the kids would like Splash Mt. we actually watched a ride video on you tube several times before we left to see if they wanted to go on it. This is one reason that DS rode Dinosaur and DD chose not to.

Both kids wanted to ride Everest - but were not big enough (darn :secret:) They will have to wait for DH to go on that one with them.

medic9016
05-26-2008, 07:38 PM
At 7 my DD(13) was tall enough to ride everything. She loves the bigger faster rides. Her favorite at Disney is RnR coaster.

elmjimmlm
05-26-2008, 08:20 PM
My DD was 5 getting ready to turn 6 last trip and she had been on everything except RRC...(too short)...She actually rode ToT and loved it...On the other hand I am 35 and will only go into the gift shop...:blush:

Pop Centurion
05-26-2008, 08:27 PM
My DD was 5 getting ready to turn 6 last trip and she had been on everything except RRC...(too short)...She actually rode ToT and loved it...On the other hand I am 35 and will only go into the gift shop...:blush:
:funny: Me too and I'm 36. My Niece was 8 when she first rode RRC and ToT.

tinksmom02
05-26-2008, 08:40 PM
DD5 has been into the thrill rides since she was tall enough to ride them...but we go to the boardwalk and a local theme park around here all the time, Six Flags once in a while, and we try to get to Hershey every summer. Her favorite rides at WDW include BTMRR and Splash, and I think she'll be tall enough for Space this September.

BUT she despises Snow White and it's tough to be a bug (I think she remembers them from our 2004 trip) and won't even let us LOOK at the Voyage of the Little Mermaid show LOL

Goofy Texan
05-26-2008, 09:21 PM
You can get a rough idea on how they'll do by what they like now. Did your kids like it when dad swung them around by their hands when little? Or tossed them in the air? Do they like to go high on the swing? Do they like to climb up to the highest parts of the playground? Or go down the slide backward or head first if they can get away with it? If so, they may like thrill rides.

As for the Pirates, Dinosaur, It's tough to be a bug, etc type of attractions: Do they hide their eyes during the scarier parts of kids movies? Does watching people in danger frighten them? Do they sleep with a night light? If so, dark rides may make them nervous or frightened. Some of this can be resolved by carrying a small light.

If you can swing it this summer, take your kids to a fair or amusment park. I personally wouldn't want Disney to be my kids first experience with amusement rides. A Disney vacation costs too much money for me to go in not knowing how they'll react. Having been to a regular amusment park, you'll have that experience to compare Disney attractions to.

Also, if you can take in a 3-D movie before you go, that is a huge plus. You can find them at IMAX theaters and sometimes at regular theaters. A sci-fi 3D movie Journey to the Center of the Earth is coming out July 11th. Your older child might be up for that. Alternatively you can purchase a 3D book. These use the original 3D with the red and blue cardboard glasses. Disney's 3D is a bit more intense (in your face), but at least they'll have an understanding of what 3D is and that the images aren't really right in front of them.

Have fun getting ready for you trip.

Kidsmom
05-26-2008, 09:29 PM
4 kids:

Last year-- 9, 7. & 6 yo went on TofT and hated it. 9&6 yo went on EE and SM and loved it. They all went on EVERYTHING else.

This year - the 4 yo (pervious not in the mix with height) went on ToT 3 times; none of the other kids would go on it again. Only the 10yo. like EE and SM was a huge hit the (now) 8yo.

Each kid is different. Don't put on anyone who is scared and/nervous. Nothing worse (and you actually see it) parents putting on crying kids to rides. DD (10yr. LOVED Rockroller coaster...as did DH and myself--best coaster and ride (although short) at DW...it is all about the height, which I doubt many 7 yo will be!)

BTW: Test Track....Fun....real fun....not even remotely scary! Star Wars....a blast...only motion sickness an issue for those who get car sick.

Have fun....but don't push any kid on anything they aren't excited about.!

Have a great Trip!!!!

Texas Tinkerbell Too
05-26-2008, 09:42 PM
I agree with the other posts. It all depends on the child. We have 2 boys who are very adventurous. My DS9 started riding rollercoasters at our State Fair and Six Flags at 2 years old. We are really tall so he met the height requirements. My DS5 is a little more cautious, but last year he rode EVERYTHING but RnRC (it was closed for refurbishment) and Dinosaur ride. He particularly loved...Space Mountain, Mission Space, EE, and ToT. You will know what your child is "ready" to try. I agree you should not force them on anything.

larandtra
05-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Its not about age, but, rather maturity, tolerance for heights, speed, the dark, etc. My 14 year old was riding coasters at 5. My 8 year old wont get on them at all.

katzctkpt
05-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Our 1st family trip was in 2004 with 3 kids 5, 8, 11 they rode everything they could. The 5 yr old was hesitant on TOT but, we kept insisting just once and never again if she didn't like. Well, after the 1st time she was hooked. The only ride she couldn't do was RRC (height) and this past yr she finally grew enough to ride for the 1st time at 8 yrs old. It really depends on your childs maturity & tolerance for other rides.
Dinosaur is scary and if being scared is an issue stay clear it may turn them off of everything.

Young@Heart
05-27-2008, 12:56 AM
My 5 yo will be able to try many things for the first time this year. We're going to let her go on anything she meets requirements for and wants to go on. We've also been watching the planning DVD and lots of travel channel shows and internet videos so she knows what to expect. :thumbsup:

JenniferS.
05-27-2008, 06:58 AM
My kids rode splash mountain for the first time last year. They had just turned 4 the week we were there. They LOVED it. This year they want to try tot and some others that we felt they would be too scared on last year.

ilovemyjj31
06-09-2008, 03:20 AM
My 4 yr old rode everything she could..she said she wanted a splash mountain in her yard..lol!! she rode everything in MK, exept space mountain. It was too crowded..but she is a daredevil, and very tall for her age!

MickeyLa
06-09-2008, 09:01 AM
My DD was 5 when we first went. Her favorite ride was ToT. I remember before we went on Space Mtn. we rode TTA so she could see the inside. I told her all about it, how it's dark and I won't be able to sit right with her. She totally did not care. I made her sit in the middle between myself and DH, so I could hold on to her shoulder at least to comfort her. Well, so much for that! As soon as we got off, she wanted to ride it again, this time in the front seat! So, yes, it depends on your child for sure.

yjgirl715
06-09-2008, 09:21 AM
My Ds3 went on TOT without even flinching. He loved it so much. He also went on TT, SM, and BTM- 4 times in a row. He really really wanted to go EE but was too short. The crazier the ride looks the more he wants to try it. Oh and when we went to HersheyPark he wanted to go on Storm Runner. He's crazy!

It really all depends on your child- you know them best. Don't puch but inquire if they think they will like something. Good Luck!

buzznwoodysmom
06-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Both of my boys rode Splash, BTMRR, ToT, Test Tract (all the 40 inches rides) as soon as they were tall enough, which for my kids was around age 4 1/2 - 5. As soon as they were tall enough for bigger thrills like Space Mountain and EE they rode those as well, my oldest was around 6 and my youngest is finally tall enough and he made 6 in March. When older DS was 7 1/2 he was tall enough for RNRC. I know many kids are taller than my children at a younger age and I don't know if I would have let them ride these rides younger (I thought they were pretty young to be riding when they did). I think as long as they are tall enough and they WANT to go on the ride then they will be fine! My boys love all the thrill rides!

alilprincessmom99
06-09-2008, 10:21 AM
My DD was 3 and tall enough to ride ToT so we took her on it. It horrified her. Now at age 8, she won't get on anything if she isn't 100% sure that it goes slow.

OleDoleDoffin
06-09-2008, 10:33 AM
When we went, our younger son was not quite 5. He went on several rides that might be considered thrill rides....

Splash Mountain: Mostly loved it. The drop freaked him out a little but he said it was worth it because he got wet! (It was hot for January.)
Big Thunder Mountain RR: loved it, but it made him a little bit queasy.
Test Track: Couldn't decide if he loved it or hated it. The noise was more of an issue than the motion.
Star Tours: "Can we ride again? Please?"

If I remember correctly he was just a hair too short for Space Mountain; I remember at least that he couldn't ride with his older brother and he wasn't at all happy about that.

On the other hand, It's Tough To Be A Bug and the dang Tiki Room freaked him out! And he decided not to try the Haunted Mansion or Honey I Shrunk the Audience.

As others have said, it's totally down to a child's personality. Some kids don't want drops, however gentle; others hate enclosed spaces or certain kinds of noises, or worry about things jumping out at them. Still others happily ride things at 4 that scare them at 5. Give it a try, encourage them but respect their decision. They may surprise you once they understand that it really is their choice.

RBrooksC
06-10-2008, 10:23 AM
My son, at 18 months, went on everything for which he was able. All the Fantasyland Rides, Buzz Lightyear, TTA, Haunted Mansion, and POTC. He loved them all. He was a little nervous about Dumbo at first but soon was enjoying that. In Haunted Mansion he would laugh at the scary stuff. He is now two and loves to go on the tallest slide on the playground so the next time we go, most likely when he is five, whatever he is tall enough to ride, daddy will take him on it. Mom is not a thrill ride person so daddy gets the joy of doing it. :)

#1donaldfan
06-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Our kids rode as early as they were tall enough.....our DD at age 5 was tore up her first trip...the only ride she couldn't get on was RRC......it just broke her heart that she couldn't, but the next year she made sure she was tall enough before leaving.....:thumbsup:

c&d
06-10-2008, 11:16 AM
DS was on any ride once he met the height limit. There were some rides that he didn't want to go on even though he was tall enough. The choice was always left up to him.

ALEXMOMMY
06-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I think the most important factor is your child's personality. My daughter was a month shy of her 3rd bday when we went in Dec,but rode splash mountain-she's very tall for her age.She loved it! I wouldn't push it if they are nervous or scared, but if they're tall enough, do it!:mickey:

WhiteRose1
06-10-2008, 06:25 PM
I was a timid 6 year old at Disney, and my parents had to strongly encourage me to ride many rides. They got me on everything that was open at the time except space mountain. I loved everything except the scary in the dark rides, but I had a very serious fear of the dark at the time. (and rollercoasters were out of the question back then for me!)

I strongly suggest taking your kids to a carnival if possible before you go.

My Parents had taken me to many carnivals so I knew what to expect.

Mad About Mickey
06-10-2008, 07:47 PM
A common thread in most posts is that it depends on the child. When our DD was 5 she rode everything and absolutely loved the thrill rides. At the same time her 16 year old cousin would not get near SM, MS ToT etc...

dismommy
06-10-2008, 07:50 PM
When we went in 2006 my son was 5 and small for his age he rode splash and big thunder mountain 7 times each, wanted to ride ToT and everest but I thought he was to little, barely meet the 44 inch height required for everest in his sneakers, and 36lbs. The trip coming up he's 7 much more driven personality wise and plans to ride it all ToT, everest, rock and roller coaster, space mountain (not sure of height for that one) and he doesn't care if I won't go he will just ride with DD.

Taja
06-10-2008, 07:55 PM
The nine-year-old lass we took to WDW for her first visit last December is very tiny--about the size of an average 5 or 6 year old.

She grew up at Disneyland being about 2 or 3 years behind her cousins (who are 1 and 2 years younger than her) meeting height requirements for various attractions.

At WDW, she was still 1/2" too short of RnRC. She stood as tall as she could, but the CM could still slide her hand between the measuring bar and the lass's head--with room to spare. *sigh*

She did ToT though--and won't do it again at WDW. She prefers the Disneyland version! *LOL*

laward32
06-11-2008, 12:14 PM
My youngest DD was 5 and right at 40" and rode TOT and it is now her favorite ride. She also rode Dinosaur and was fine my oldest DD was 61/2 and it scared her to death. My youngest I believe is a thrill junkie like her momma. She wants to ride RNRC,but isn't tall enough. My oldest isn't even tall enough yet. She hopes to be by our next trip.:mickey:

italiangrl.08
06-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Well my 7 and 5 years old sisters have both been on Splash Mountain, and my 7 year old sister is able to go on TOT but my mom decided it was still a bit ruff for her. My 7 year old sis. LOVES ROLLER COSTERS!!! she is just very petite, so she reallly wanted to go on TOT and the Rockin Roller Coster, but we just wanted to be safe!:thumbsup:

ps. All disney's rides are perfecty safe for those in the right height requirments!!:)

hope that helped!:cool:

disneykid99
06-12-2008, 08:46 AM
We started with the Goofy coater when DS was 2. It is a good place to start if you are not sure how they will do - it is in MK. On our next trip he hit the 38in mark and did KaliRR at AK. The trip after that he hit the 40in mark and could go on a lot more. We asked him if he wanted to go on a ride and let him if he did. I think the thing that helped him was that we don't say if something is scary or not - we let him decide if he thinks it is. So things we might think would be scary for him are not. We let him the he gage. It has worked well for us with rides and movies - age appropriate of coarse. The only ride he is not crazy about is TOT he does not mind the drop but does not like the themeing inside. But we let him decide it on his own. He will be 8 next trip and hoping to be tall enough for RRC. DD is 5 and will ride any ride she is tall enough for - she likes ToT.

I think another thing that helped was taking our kids to a small park near us with kiddie rides. They had to stand in short lines (about 5 min) then went on the very easy rides. It helped them get the idea about waiting in line and rides.

Have a great trip:mickey:

SoaringDisney
06-12-2008, 11:12 AM
My 5 year old niece rode Everest. She was right behind me and when the ride was over. My first thought was how terrified she must have been during the ride. I turned around to take a peek at her and she was laughing hysterically. My sister said that she laughed through the entire ride. It seems the five year old is more brave than her 33 yr. old aunt.

nemo'smom
06-12-2008, 12:15 PM
My son was 6 before he rode any of the rides. We talked him into btm and he loved it and then we had to talk him into space and he hated it so I think it just depends. We are going in JUne and he says he is riding everything so I guess we will see.

thrillme
06-12-2008, 01:18 PM
My DS rode thrill rides as long as he was tall enough. Rode a log ride similar to Splash Mountain when he was 2 1/2 FIVE times. Cried when we had to stop.

It all depends on the child but I do recommend encouraging them to at least TRY.

Texas Tinkerbell Too
06-12-2008, 05:43 PM
My DS now 9 did a "bungee jump" type swing at Six Flags Over Texas when he was 5 years old.
When we walked by this "attraction," he told his dad he wanted to "ride" it. I without hesitation said "no!" His dad asked the ride attendant if our son was able to ride. Of course, the answer was "yes." My DH overruled my objection. I thought I was going to :ack: as I watched them being lifted up in the air before the big "drop." My son laughed the entire time he was falling and swinging. I have never been so scared in all my life.

Lesson we learned from this...if the child wants to ride and one of the parents strongly objects. Then, parents...talk about it in private. I was upset with my DH for a while about this. Fortunately, everthing turned out okay.