PDA

View Full Version : In need of a little pixie dust....

conorsmom2000
05-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Hi everyone.....It's looking to be a bleak summer for the Murray's. We've had a very rough year, financially and otherwise and now, as of Friday, I am unemployed. While I never truly loved my job, I was very, very grateful for it. I was a recruiting coordinator for a consulting firm and I was able to work 4 flexible hours a day, from home, and made a great salary. For a working Mom, it didn't get better than that and I know I was blessed. If Conor got sick, I didn't have to worry about taking off - It enabled me to be the President of the PA, because I had the flexibility to do so. But, our company got bought out a month ago and having been through this when Oracle took over PeopleSoft, I knew part time employees were the first to go - and I was right. :( So, now I'm not only faced with trying to find a job, but now I'll have to worry about what to do with Conor (since the odds of finding another job that lets me work from home are slim to none).

This is all made worse because Mike will be losing his job at the end of July. He is a Union electrician who has been with a contractor for 4 years. That contractor went bankrupt about 18 months ago, so Mike has been with another contractor, in name only, since then to finish the job he was on. But, the job will be done at the end of July and there is no other work for Mike. So, he will go back to the Union hall, where there are over 200 guys out of work. We will be looking at 3 to 6 months of unemployment for him.

With the financial hits we've taken recently, we're not in the best position for this and I am truly scared of what's to come - and very scared about losing our home. This is just a very rough and bleak time for us.

And now, to add to all that, 3 weeks ago I was very sick with a "lower respiratory lung infection" (basically, almost pneumonia, but it wasn't quite pneumonia yet). A few days after they had taken the chest x-ray and diagnosed me, the doctor called me back and said the radiologist found a spot on my lung. While they are pretty sure it's nothing (possibly scar tissue from pneumonia) being I'm a former smoker and my Mother, Uncle and Grandfather all died from lung cancer, they want me to see a pulmonologist (sp?) to have a cat scan done. I'm only 38 years old and completely freaked out about this.

Everyone keeps telling us things will be fine, it will all work out - and normally, I'd agree with them (and I'd say the same thing if I was in their shoes). But, this time it just doesn't feel like things will be okay. So, any good thoughts you could send our way this beautiful Memorial Day weekend would be appreciated. :flag:

Thanks for letting me get all of this stress out.... :blush:

RocknBev
05-26-2008, 09:34 AM
:pixie::pixie:
Here you go.....and keep your chin up!
I just finished reading Julie Andrews' autobiography and remember a line from "The Sound of Music"...."when God closes a door, he opens a window."
He opened a lot of windows for her in her personal life and he has in mine as well! Just keep looking for those curtains to be blowing in the wind!

Mickey'sGirl
05-26-2008, 09:55 AM
:hug: and :pixie: to get you through these trying times, Jen. I hope that you feel some relief from sharing this with us. I will be thinking of you all.

wdwgrl377
05-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Jen, you and your family are in my thoughts today. I will say a prayer for you and your husband for the right job to come. When one door closes, another one will open for you both! I know it's discouraging, but just stay positive. You're a wonderful person and I know that good things are in store for you and your family!

Much love and :hug: to you today! A little pixie dust won't hurt either!! :pixie:

ElenitaB
05-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Thinking of you, Jen! Hang in there! :hug:

Here we go again...
05-26-2008, 11:26 AM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:
Jen,
I would love to say don't worry, but I know I would be very worried right now if I were going through what you are going through.

Just know that we are all here for you.
I wish you luck with job hunting and hope the perfect job just falls in your lap when you least expect it. ;)

ChipnDaleGal
05-26-2008, 01:54 PM
Oh my goodness Jen. I am so sorry that you and Mike have to go through all of this. I wish you all the best and hope that some truly amazing opportunity is out there waiting for you guys. Lots and lots of good thoughts and :magic: heading your way. :hug:

offwego
05-26-2008, 02:16 PM
so sorry to hear about this for you and your family Jen. I'll be hoping to hear that something works out soon. Have you and Mike thought of relocating at all? Not that you want to I know but there may be areas that have better job markets for you both.

Take care of the health issue first and hopefully everything else will fall into place.

daparish
05-26-2008, 02:26 PM
I am so very sorry. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Tink&Goofy
05-26-2008, 02:39 PM
You and your family will be in my prayers as you deal with all these bumps in the road. Keep your chin up - and think only positive thoughts!!

MauiMouse
05-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Thinking of you, Jen! Hang in there! :hug:

Same here Jen, thinking about you, Mike and Conor. :hug: You are good people and something will come along for everyone. :thumbsup:

d_m_n_n
05-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Oh, Jen! I am so sorry to hear about this. I'm sending along lots of :pixie::pixie::pixie: for employment for you and Mike, but especially for your health! You all are in my prayers.

Beast_fanatic
05-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Sorry to hear that things are going so roughly right now... Lots of :hug: and :pixie: headed your way!

disneydeb
05-26-2008, 04:28 PM
:pixie: & :hug: for you and your situation now. God bless you with better health and job opportunities.

crazypoohbear
05-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Wow, when it rains it pours. I'm really sorry you are having to deal with all this at once. Wishing you all the best. I will say an extra prayer that the spot is nothing. It's kinda scary when you are a former smoker, but try to think positively.

Melanie
05-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Jen, I'm truly sorry for all you guys are going through. Honestly, I'd be a nervous wreck as well. Keep your chin up and know everyone is pulling for you! :pixie:

faline
05-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry you have been hit with so much all at once!

Some pixie dust for good medical news for you! :pixie:

Some more for your job search! :pixie:

Moe still for your husband's job search! :pixie:

And some extra in hopes that things begin to turn around really quickly for you and your family!! :pixie::pixie:

drummerboy
05-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey Jen, here's a truckload of pixie dust for you. I hope it all works out even better than you're hoping.

TikiGoddess
05-26-2008, 08:22 PM
We're all thinking of you! Keep us updated and let us know if there's anything we can do!

Kathy

wendy*darling
05-26-2008, 08:42 PM
I am a firm believer in the saying "when one door closes, another one opens."

:hug: and :pixie: and all the good thoughts and prayers I can muster for your health, and jobs for both you and Mike.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-26-2008, 09:24 PM
More good thoughts for you and your family, Jen. :pixie:

Mousefever
05-26-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm thinking of you, Jen, and praying for your family. I hope it all works out.

Amy

mrsgaribaldi
05-27-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm sorry to hear about everything Jen. Loads of :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:and prayers on the way.

MsMin
05-27-2008, 10:00 AM
:whew: When it rains it pours in the Murray household huh? Just one of those is difficult enough. So sorry you are going through this right now. :(
Here's some :pixie: for work for both you and Mike and extra strength for your health.
I know it has to be real difficult. Things are so expensive here and we have a great economy yet with lots of building and growth. I wish I could send some up to you! Bad part about living here is you have to survive on snow from MVMCP :(
It would be so so hard to move but did Mike ever see about doing any contract work down here? We have loads of ppl that are down temporarily for the reconstruction that is still going on. Just a thought if ever you need to help keep things afloat for a while.
Most important is your health. I'll say a prayer that it's just scar tissue. :pixie: take care of yourself and keep in touch! :hug:

Disneyatic
05-27-2008, 10:32 AM
I am so sorry for all the stress that you and your family are going through right now.
It always seems that everything bad happens all at once and makes it hard to envision the bright side.
Our year last year was like that and I began to think things would never be brighter, but this year has been much better. Hang in there!
Many, many positive thoughts and prayers that your luck will turn around soon!
:pixie::pixie::pixie: to your health and your family's security.

Dsnygirl
05-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Jen, I am so sorry to hear what you and your family are going through... I know how hard it is to look at the future and see a blank wall, and to be scared about your health at the same time. We will keep you in our prayers, and I'm sending loads of :pixie: your way to help get you and your family through...

Like many other posters, I too am a firm believer in the phrase,"When God closes a door, he opens a window", as I've had it happen in our lives SO many times. Sometimes it's not a window that faces in a direction you'd expect (or even want at the time), but always it is for the better, and I'm sure this will be the case for you and your DH and DS, too.

You've always been such a positive person on the boards, I can only imagine how hard it is for you when you're faced with just not feeling positive about this -- just keep trying to look beyond the "now" and trust in your future... I'm sure you'll be back on here in the near future, amazed at what has come around.

Good luck and keep the faith - and remember we're all here for you!! :hug:

pogo
05-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Jenn....... good people like you will always prevail ! :yes:

Keep positive thoughts and remember, you are always in my thoughts and prayers. And a little more :pixie: can't hurt either. God bless ! :hug:

Momof2boys
05-27-2008, 03:11 PM
:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Jen - here's hoping that your luck turns around and that great things are headed your way.

conorsmom2000
05-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks so much everyone - we truly appreciate the support! Normally I try to be a bit more positive when we hit a bump in the road, and remember to count our blessings, but this time around I definitely feel overwhelmed. Thank you again! :)

Jeff G
05-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Jen , here is some belated :pixie: for you and your family as you go through this trying time. With a positive attitude I'm sure things will turn out OK in the long run and you'll be stronger becasue of it.

TheDuckRocks
05-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Jen, here's a ton of :pixie::pixie::pixie: and I'll also remember your family in my prayers.

SBETigg
05-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Jen, wow. What a lot to deal with all at once. Of course you worry. Who wouldn't? But you know we're all sending positive thoughts and plenty of :hug: and :pixie::pixie::pixie:.

Gooftroop5
05-28-2008, 12:05 PM
:hug:

:train: full of :pixie: for your entire family! I hope your health issues come back negative & its just scar tissue. You have every right to be scared. Its hard to see the light at the end of this dark tunnel but know its there.

princessjojo
05-28-2008, 12:36 PM
I am so sorry to hear about everything that's happening. Life does tend to send us some really hard blows sometimes, but I have always held tight to the idea that God never puts more on us that he feels we can handle. Just a side note, finding work from home might be easier than expected. I know here, there are a ton of companies that do a lot of work from home schedules. It allows them room for negotiations with regards to salary. And they hire all over the country.

I wish I could do something to help you and make it all go away. I know it can get you down, but you're strong.

Just remember God brought you to it, and God will bring you through it.

Best of luck, and :hug: :pixie: with everything. I will be sure to keep you, your health, and your family in my prayers.