PDA

View Full Version : Sister with special needs

tinkgirl07
05-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi everyone, I saw this forum and I thought I would ask some of my questions here!

In September I will be travelling with my mom, stepdad and sister for the first time to the world. My sister is going to be 8 (I'm 23) and she has Downs and though it has not been diagnosed she shows autistic tendencies. I'm not sure if she is a candidate for the GAC so I'll run down some of her characteristics.

She cannot walk for long periods of time, she had open heart surgery when she was 6 months old and cannot take much physical exertion, so a stroller is a must for us. She also did not walk until she was 2 and wore leg braces for the first 3 years. Depending on how long the line is we would be able to take her through without the stroller, she would probably walk 25% and the other 75% we would have to carry her.

It is incredibly hard for her to wait in any type of line. When we are in a long line or there are just people on every side of her she will have a breakdown, she will cover her ears, put her head down and we have thankfully taught her to breathe through it is more rare that she will sob, but she still will from time to time. Obviously we will not use this pass to get to the front of space mountain but it will be nice to have if she is having a bad day and we need some extra help for something she wants to ride. We are planning on trying to do everything normal, but using the gac as a back up. Not merely a way to get to see everything faster than everyone else.

She is so excited to go and I just want to make it so she has the best trip possible. I'm not sure where we fall in this gray area so I just want to get your opinions.

MsMin
05-25-2008, 12:41 PM
I would think that a child as you describe would need a GAC and that is what it is designed for. Not so much the fact that she has downs or that understanding the concept of the line is difficult for a child with downs but the fact that many adults are expected to hold a small child but IMO asking someone to hold an 8yo child is or could be a lot to ask a family to endure.
There are times when the CM's feel that a visitor can stand in a line for a short period and ask that they use f/p and there are times when they don't give the GAC b/c it's obvious that the person in a w/c can not access the ride so a pass is not needed to in order for the CM's at the ride to ID the visitor who needs assistance.
Personally, I think this cases like this are what the pass is designed to do.
As a therapist, I think it's great to take the opportunity to teach her to wait in line b/c the benefits for the long term are very beneficial but I would only recommend using f/p or trying a short line and trying this earlier in the day b/c as time wears on she will become more and more fatigued and have less patience. I say the pass is needed for an 8yo child w/ downs.
Have a great trip! :minnie:

tinkgirl07
05-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh yes, I know we will try our best to get FP's and to wait in the lines as much as possible. But as everyone knows there are those days where it is just impossible. These would be the times we would use the gac, when it means we are disturbing those around us and when we just need a break from holing my sister through the whole line, like in those rides where FP might not be abailable :mickey:

Matt's Dad
05-27-2008, 11:13 AM
I hope your family finds some of the Magic of Disney. I believe you will be able to get a pass, and really appreciate the thoughts of only using it when necessary.

Go, have a great time, and if you need anything ... ask a CM for assistance. Be polite, be humble, and most of them will do whatever they can to make sure your family gets to enjoy the wonders of the parks. They always have for my son.

Your family is in my prayers. Enjoy your trip.

BrerGnat
05-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Just so you know, you can also get a pass that designates "stroller as a wheelchair", for the purposes of waiting in line. Just get a simple doctor's note from her pediatrician that explains that she cannot endure standing/walking for extended periods of time. Ask the CM for the "stroller as a wheelchair card" and they will know what you mean. If a line is wheelchair accessible, you will be allowed to take her through the line in her stroller. If a line is NOT accessible, you will be directed to the wheelchair waiting area. The main benefit is that NO ONE will have to hold her through the line. She may also do better in the line if she is inside her own zone in the stroller. She can pull down the shade, you can throw a blanket over it so she can "hide out" if she gets overwhelmed, etc.

In any event, you should bring along a letter signed by the doctor simply stating her basic needs and the things she has trouble with.

SoaringDisney
06-03-2008, 01:40 PM
I hope this will help ease some of your fears. I have a daugher with Down Syndrome who is 13. We visited Disney in April of this year with her. She had a wonderful time thanks to the magic of Disney and the wonderful CM's! I had actually left her with my mother during our 2005 trip because of the fears of her being too hot, not being able to walk far, having to wait in line and my list went on and on. But I refused to leave her this time. We rented a wheelchair pass for the week. It seemed that most of the time we didn't have to wait for rides. The CM's were wonderful at getting us on ASAP. I would think that the wheelchair may be the best option, since there are what seems like 20,000 strollers in the park, which may make her stick out more to the CM's . There were many situations where CM's would notice my daughter and give her the option to participate in special things. It was a truly magical trip and she didn't want to leave. I hope you have a wonderful trip!