PDA

View Full Version : How do/have you cut-back?

princessjojo
05-24-2008, 09:26 PM
DH and I got in a very verbal discussion this evening about how he is so careless with his money in this trying economy. I explained to him that as I was growing up, I learned to do without and knew what it was like to be not necessarily hungry, but not full either, so on and so forth. I explained to him that he needs to learn to plan his outtings a little better to prevent the goings and comings we are so accustomed to. As well, it wouldn't hurt to eat a few more sandwiches during the week for lunch rather than McD. or Chik-fil-a. We've even turned our a/c up a little, use our grill to multi-cook when we cook out, and use more generics lately.

These are just a couple of the things we've done. What about you? What changes are you making to cut cost during these "less than optimal" times?

magicofdisney
05-24-2008, 09:48 PM
In order to save gas, we try to do multiple errands at once. I try to make sure each trip in the van is worthwhile. I keep a running list of things I need and try to pick up as much as possible at once.

We've also become smarter shoppers, in general. We go the generic route for some items and we compare prices at a couple of stores before we commit to buy things. I used to do 95% of my shopping at Publix Supermarket, but now I have to shop around; Publix is so darn expensive.

jrkcr
05-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Wow! It seems we have the same husband! hahaha

I keep trying to budget, buy what is on clearance sale at the grocery store, and buy staples that will keep. I have plans to turn my shed out back (in SC) into a storage room for canned foods and toilet paper! (I love Costco-500 rolls of TP! :thumbsup:) But then I also love to go to the Outback about once a month...so I am not too disciplined.

Then hubby sees the frozen, cheaper, OJ in the freezer, and says
"Oh Great, Are you in survivalist mode again?"
So then he explains that he makes enough money, and has job security, I shouldn't worry, etc etc. And he wants his tropicana!! :shake:

We are making plans for a veggie garden, and I wanted to collect rain water from the roof gutters(which DH says we can't use on the veggies cause of the shingles :confused:), and I want to buy a solar oven. We recently bought a small sailboat, and I told DH we have to learn to sail, so we can live off of what we catch! :fishbowl::crab:

Meanwhile I am driving a gas-guzzler suv. but 3 kids (and a dog) will not fit into a Zebra car!! So I send DH a list of things to pick up from the store on the way home, so I don't have to drive, or I swing by the store while I am already out. His little old ford pick-up gets much better gas milage!! And I am starting "no car" days on the weekend for my big suv. Just leaving those 2 days as no-drive days may help. DH will still drive his truck, as he often works 7 days a week, out in the desert.

I glad I'm not the only person worried, and trying to do something/anything to control our household spending!

signed-
The Worrier

Sunshine1010
05-24-2008, 10:25 PM
- Make a weekly menu and buy ONLY what's on the list (besides TP, shampoo and other necessities)

- Do errands twice a week. That's it.

- At the grocery store - BOGOF's, generic food (GREAT SAVER), and go to clearance stores.

- Walmart/Kmart - clearance

- go to consignment sales for clothes

- Going out to eat ONCE a week

- keeping the extra ketchup packets so husband can use those for hot dogs for lunch when he brings his lunch/dinner

- pay off all debt

- our onc indulgence - karate lessons for my son

- drained our hot tub to save money on chemicals and power to heat it - in one month, we've already saved $40.00 on our electric bill

- so far this year, I've only had the air on 2x

- mow less

- Shop at Save-a-lot. I got 10 bags of groceries for $52.00. It's not the prettiest store in the world --- but we ate for a week

- In regards to planning trips: fly SW, use Magical Express, use our points only from now on, dining plan to save money, no souveniers.

- for extracirricular activities for my son. Saving and actually using the coupons he gets here and there for a free rollerskating day, BOGOF movie tickets, etc

- renting free DVD's a the library

- I do 2 yard sales a year (2 weeks ago I made $300.00)

- sell leftover clothes at consignment sales (I've made $200.00 before)

- put all change in son's piggy bank and then put in savings account (he already has $2,000.00)

- do laundry at night

- wash blankets once a month instead of twice a month

- go to the dollar store and buy cleaning products, paper products, etc.

- turn everything off if you are not using it

- I took off long distance on my phone and I use my cell phone for long distance calls now. It saved me $25.00 a month

- got the lowest plan on cell phone (59.00)

Ed
05-25-2008, 08:07 AM
My one main thing actually started before prices started skyrocketing, but it sure comes in handy now!

My co-workers and I talked our boss into putting us on a 4 - 10 hour shift work schedule. We were able to work out a schedule which affords our boss more coverage than we had under the traditional 5 - 8 hour shift schedule. So now we work 4 days and are off for three. We're not necessarily off on weekends like most folks, but having weekdays off is often an advantage.

This schedule saves each of us 20% over our previous commuting costs. :thumbsup:

Terra
05-25-2008, 09:18 AM
- Make a weekly menu and buy ONLY what's on the list (besides TP, shampoo and other necessities)

- Do errands twice a week. That's it.

- At the grocery store - BOGOF's, generic food (GREAT SAVER), and go to clearance stores.

- Walmart/Kmart - clearance

- go to consignment sales for clothes

- Going out to eat ONCE a week

- keeping the extra ketchup packets so husband can use those for hot dogs for lunch when he brings his lunch/dinner

- pay off all debt

- our onc indulgence - karate lessons for my son

- drained our hot tub to save money on chemicals and power to heat it - in one month, we've already saved $40.00 on our electric bill

- so far this year, I've only had the air on 2x

- mow less

- Shop at Save-a-lot. I got 10 bags of groceries for $52.00. It's not the prettiest store in the world --- but we ate for a week

- In regards to planning trips: fly SW, use Magical Express, use our points only from now on, dining plan to save money, no souveniers.

- for extracirricular activities for my son. Saving and actually using the coupons he gets here and there for a free rollerskating day, BOGOF movie tickets, etc

- renting free DVD's a the library

- I do 2 yard sales a year (2 weeks ago I made $300.00)

- sell leftover clothes at consignment sales (I've made $200.00 before)

- put all change in son's piggy bank and then put in savings account (he already has $2,000.00)

- do laundry at night

- wash blankets once a month instead of twice a month

- go to the dollar store and buy cleaning products, paper products, etc.

- turn everything off if you are not using it

- I took off long distance on my phone and I use my cell phone for long distance calls now. It saved me $25.00 a month

- got the lowest plan on cell phone (59.00)

Oh my gosh I think we are the same person!!:blush: I do all those that I highlighted!!

Also I sell items on Ebay for extra money.

In order for me to continue to be a stay at home mom we make sacrifices.
For example:

I try hard to make a tank of gas last one month.

We eat out once a month as a treat.

Cook meals that have leftovers for lunches.

Cloth diaper our DS and soon to be DS #2.

Make my own baby food [well when he was on pureed stuff, now he just eats what we do.

Buy frozen veggies instead of fresh.
But after the baby comes I'm going to look into starting my own garden as well so I have fresh veggies for the new baby when I start making my baby food again.

We don't have cable TV.

We have used cars that are paid off so no car payment.

I buy DS's books from yard sales, thrift shops, book sales instead of paying retail for them.

pink
05-25-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm not in charge of the bills around my house as I'm only considered one of the "kids" but I do try to help out anyways.

1) Turning off all electrical things whenever I'm leaving the house or my room.

2) Always turning off the TV's whenever someone leaves them on.

3) Do full loads of laundry only every other week, we also only run the dishwasher if it is completely full.

4) I only run errands in bulks and I plan out how to get from place to place without having to backtrack and waste extra gas.

:mickey:

Beast_fanatic
05-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Our main thing right now is that we are cutting back on how often we eat out. This helps with not only saving money, but also with our diets.

SgtTigger
05-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Eating leftovers for lunch as much as possible...

This is just one thing I do.... we have cut back on something's and stay home a lot.......

spending more time here on INTERCOT.........

:cop: :tigger:

disneydeb
05-25-2008, 01:49 PM
eat left overs

my dd drives everday to school 60 miles from home, she is now driving my "good "mpg car and I drive her Mustang - my co-workers think I am having a mid life crisis! :D

turn off the AC, the TV, etc.

drink tap water

share with another family when shopping in bulk
- split cost and product-

don't go or limit movies, bowling, skating rink, etc.

don't buy books or movies, check them out from the library!

Terra
05-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Oh I forgot one other cut back....

Sadly..............

And it pains me to say this....

Not...

renewing....

Disney AP......

for awhile.......:drama::drama::nope:

must......not......cry.....must.....not....cry....

Flower
05-25-2008, 09:15 PM
We decided it would be best for me to take an additional year off from work after having the baby, fortunately my work granted me the additional year leave of absence and I can return to my job in January. Right now with only 1 income it is killing me, so we have:

Limited our older son to daycare 2 times a week from 3 times - he still needs the interaction and the learning.

upped our long distance plan to save more

Consolidated 2 loans to cut the payments in half and still have it paid off within 3 years

We have 2 cars, one was paid off with our income tax return last year so we would only have 1 car payment.

I do all of my 'grocery' shopping at Walmart except for produce (The local Walmart my mom works at & I go to is not a Super Center)

I am learning to shop second hand! I got a huge wooden play center with a slide & 3 swings for the mere price of a case of beer! DH had to disassemble it from a friends house and get it to our house in 3 pieces and re-build it, but it is awesome, the kids love it and I love it right in my own back yard! AHHH Sanity for mom!!!

For $35 on the weekend at yard sales we got an air hockey table, a stroller, a pullout foam sofa Spiderman bed for Brandon that was new with tags, 2 new fuzzy halloween costumes, an alligator teeter totter, a toddler swing fo rour big wooden play center, various toy cars, and a wire toy that the beads slide around on.

mdhiggin
05-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Two words: Dave Ramsey

ShelbyAD
05-29-2008, 04:40 PM
share with another family when shopping in bulk - split cost and product-
Hmmm, never thought about that. That's a good idea. However, 90% of the people I know either have infants or several kids. Wish I did have someone to split bulk shopping with.

We do bulk shopping for our meats, toilet paper, paper towels, plastic & dixie cups, napkins & kleenex.

We buy alot of generic brands. Aldi's is a good place to go shopping. The Dollar Tree is a great place to get alot of dry goods & toiletries.

When we buy dog food - we get the 40lbs bag. We have a Beagle, so she only eats 1 cup of food a day (1/2 in morning & 1/2 in evening). That bag usually last us about 5-6 months.

We have our A/C set to 78 - we have it turned off during the day. We only turn it on when the temp inside the house reaches 82+ degrees.

Thankfully all the stores I need to shop at are within 1 mile of where I work - so I do alot of errands at lunch time. Plus our grocery store is only 3/4 of a mile from our house.

We only eat out once a month - we usually keep it $30 or less for the both of us. August will be the only month that we eat out twice - My birthday and our 10 yr Anniversary. I told DH that he could grill steaks for my b-day instead of going out. We have tons of side dishes & such - we just need the meat.

Ian
05-29-2008, 06:49 PM
My wife still has the same job and salary she had before ... I still have the same job and salary I had before ... no cutbacks for us.

In fact, cutting back is really the worst thing you can do unless you have a compelling reason to do so (i.e. you've been laid off). You're only further hurting the economy by doing that.

Now of course I can see if folks have to cut back because of increasing gas prices, food prices, etc. That's a whole different story and maybe what the OP was talking about? Or if you're cutting back in certain areas for "green" reasons, I can see that, too.

But no one should just randomly "cut back" simply because the economic growth in this country has slowed. You'll only make things worse.

magicofdisney
05-29-2008, 07:30 PM
My wife still has the same job and salary she had before ... I still have the same job and salary I had before ... no cutbacks for us.

In fact, cutting back is really the worst thing you can do unless you have a compelling reason to do so (i.e. you've been laid off). You're only further hurting the economy by doing that.

Now of course I can see if folks have to cut back because of increasing gas prices, food prices, etc. That's a whole different story and maybe what the OP was talking about? Or if you're cutting back in certain areas for "green" reasons, I can see that, too.

But no one should just randomly "cut back" simply because the economic growth in this country has slowed. You'll only make things worse.
I can't speak for the OP, but I was assuming the cutbacks were exactly because of inflated gas and food prices. I find it hard to believe that anyone hasn't made some sort of cutbacks because of these current economic problems, regardless of how stable and secure their income is. KWIM?

princessjojo
05-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Sorry for the confusion, yes I was talking more about the cost of nearly everything in our economy as of today. I mean, when it cost me $90 to fill my Tahoe up with gas, I've stopped driving as much.

I actually circular shop a lot more now that I used to. For instance, one of the local SE supermarkets here had Breyers Icecream on sale buy one/get one free. Great deal on the surface. But at our local Super Wal-Mart, the regular price was $2.50 on Monday and the supermarkets regular price was $5.19. Not really a great deal afterall. The super W. will match competitor pricing with exception of b.o.g.o. pricing so as long as I come with paper in hand, I can cut out some of the running around town. And you can believe I do it, too. It's the cost of the staples of life that are killing us.

Realistically, if our family wasn't in such a dire need for a vacation, we wouldn't be going to WDW in a few days. But Ian, I do agree with you and keeping the economy moving is going to be a big key. Hopefully by the end of June, I will have passed my boads and will be working again by early July. And then we can play catch up on the many things that we've done or will be doing without(as of last night, my dishwasher) and the kids will never know the difference.

It just takes more to live today, and that's a shame.

Ian
05-30-2008, 11:44 AM
I can't speak for the OP, but I was assuming the cutbacks were exactly because of inflated gas and food prices. I find it hard to believe that anyone hasn't made some sort of cutbacks because of these current economic problems, regardless of how stable and secure their income is. KWIM?Okay, yeah that makes sense.

I'm actually not 100% sure where we've cut back. I mean logic dictates we're paying more for gas now (I feel princessjojo on the Tahoe thing ... I have one, too) and more for groceries, so obviously we have less money to spend somewhere else.

I would guess it's just buying stuff we don't really need anyway ... luxuries, like more new clothes or gadgets ... stuff like that.

One thing I will say, though, is that I'm definitely driving less. Especially in the Tahoe ... we take DW's Acura everywhere now. My truck only leaves the driveway 4 times a week to go to work.

mjstaceyuofm
05-30-2008, 04:23 PM
no cutbacks for us.Ditto. I thought I was the only one in this boat as we haven't wholly altered our lifestyle or consumer practices. Are there some things we're holding off on - you bet, like luxury items. My wife's transmission blew out on her Odyssey, so we opted to pay the $4k to have it replaced as opposed to going for a new vehicle.

But there are other more subtle things we're doing to compensate like buying Stoli instead of Ketel One, buying the store brands in some items as opposed to the name brand. But you're not gonna catch me buying 10 gallons of milk at the Super Wal-Mart and freezing it. That's just ridiculous.

Actually, I find that now is a great time to buy as other consumer goods are so cheap. Eventually inflation will catch up. Then it will be a different story.

diz_girl
05-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Like Ian, our family's income hasn't been reduced, however we've cut back for other reasons. I was on maternity leave in 2007 (some unpaid) and I'm trying to save for my next maternity leave, hopefully in 2009, so I'm cutting back in general in order to save that money. I'll probably only have about four or five week's of sick and vacation time saved before my leave, so I'll need to save money to cover about two months of unpaid time off. So that's less stuff that I'll buy, which I probably don't need anyway. As I'm saving, I think to myself that two or three year's savings can get me a DVC membership resale at VWL or BC. Maybe after my next maternity leave...

We don't go to movies or out to eat nearly as much since Jay was born, so that's money that we can save. I also haven't bought any new clothes or shoes since the baby's arrival, since I'm not down to my pre-pregnancy figure yet:( and buying clothes to fit my current figure is akin to admitting defeat. So I'm not spending on apparel. On the other hand, we have new expenses (diapers, wipes, formula, baby food, day care, etc.), so we're contributing to the economy in those places.

I do clip coupons and read the weekly grocery store circular to save money there. I just have to restrain DH from spending too much at Costco. It's good for diapers, wipes and perishable food items, but I can get better deals on household and personal hygiene products by buying them on sale at the supermarket with a coupon.

We also have a vegetable garden. The asparagus is quite tasty.

Scar
05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
No cutting back here.

I'm still the same cheap Norwegian as I've always been.

Kairi_7378
05-30-2008, 05:05 PM
I agree with Scar... I'm still cheap! There are a lot of things that I was already doing to save $$$ (we've never had cable, we only use the cell phones for long distance, and clip coupons.) With the price of gas being what it is, I am making a more conscious decisions about which errands to run on which days, and planning my trips carefully so as to be fuel efficient. We've always done our vacations a little on the cheap side. Our splurge when we go to Disney is the DDP... but DH will not allow me to spend the $$$ to upgrade us to a Deluxe resort. (It's been his dream to stay at the Contemporary or the Poly and I was going to upgrade us as a surprise on our last trip- I tentatively ran the idea past him and he FLIPPED!)

I never heard of roof water being bad for veggies... but if it is going to gross out your husband, collect the water and use it to water something else (non edible) in the yard. There are some good ideas for reuse of rainwater and water saving plants on This Old House's web site. I don't think that the decision to be ecologically conscious is going to kill the economy!

Hull-onian
06-03-2008, 10:38 AM
[FONT=Century Gothic]These are just a couple of the things we've done. What about you? What changes are you making to cut cost during these "less than optimal" times?

I am taking the Commuter Rail when I can. It is great. I see people idling on the expressway, and the train just buzzes past everyone in their cars. The train is the way to go.:train:

Kairi_7378
06-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I am taking the Commuter Rail when I can. It is great. I see people idling on the expressway, and the train just buzzes past everyone in their cars. The train is the way to go.:train:

I've always been a fan of public transportation. I love taking the train in the morning. Instead of dealing with traffic and angry drivers, I can sit on the train and read (or sleep). I've done a lot of trip planning on the train. Plus, it costs about $22 per day to park in Center City Philadelphia.

2Epcot
06-03-2008, 07:38 PM
:car: We're in the middle of buying 2 cars and a house within a years time, so cutting back is a must for us, even without the economy issues. I have been driving my SUV less, and using my wife's 4 cylinder car more ... My wife has been riding her bike to work, instead of driving. (She works much closer to home then I do.) :bike:

MauiMouse
06-03-2008, 07:44 PM

I would definitely agree and did so up until yesterday when my hours are going to be cut in half starting next month. So I'll definitely be cutting back.

No more eating lunches out, no more grabbing a $1.00 pop out of the vending machine, nope I'm definitely going to be cutting back big time.

Sunshine1010
06-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Me cutting back isn't hurting the economy....

Wanna know why?

My husband has worked at the same job for 10 years. Each year he gets a raise, ......BUT, it's LESS than the 'required inflation increase' raise. Then, EVERY YEAR, like clockwork, our insurance goes up.

So...in retrospect.....my husband has not gotten a raise in 10 years. And we have had to pay more for everything.

We are making the same amount as we did 10 years ago.

The economy has gotten so bad. It's scary. Can you imagine what things will be like in ten years?

SteveL
06-03-2008, 09:13 PM
I've always been a fan of public transportation. I love taking the train in the morning. Instead of dealing with traffic and angry drivers, I can sit on the train and read (or sleep). I've done a lot of trip planning on the train. Plus, it costs about $22 per day to park in Center City Philadelphia.

With a 36 mile commute, I wish SEPTA offered better service to NE Phila Airport. I would love to take public transportation but it would take me at least an hour and a half each way.

Hull-onian
06-04-2008, 09:31 AM
I would definitely agree and did so up until yesterday when my hours are going to be cut in half starting next month. So I'll definitely be cutting back.

No more eating lunches out, no more grabbing a $1.00 pop out of the vending machine, nope I'm definitely going to be cutting back big time.

:ditto: I cut out Dunkin Donuts:(. Lost my full-time job. Will be working eighteen hours a week at teenager wages. However, new job is five miles from the house. It is summer, I can walk to the beach and grocery store. Upside, I might loose a few pounds.:blush:

Terra
06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Me cutting back isn't hurting the economy....

Wanna know why?

My husband has worked at the same job for 10 years. Each year he gets a raise, ......BUT, it's LESS than the 'required inflation increase' raise. Then, EVERY YEAR, like clockwork, our insurance goes up.

So...in retrospect.....my husband has not gotten a raise in 10 years. And we have had to pay more for everything.

We are making the same amount as we did 10 years ago.

The economy has gotten so bad. It's scary. Can you imagine what things will be like in ten years?

:grouphug: It IS scary! That sounds like the place I worked at before I had my DS and stayed home. They would give you like a $10 raise and then the health insurance would go up!:mad:

I'm kind of amazed at the people I talk too who have a false sense of security about their jobs and thing everything is so hunky dorey...all that can change in an instant. Nothing is really secure.

Ian
06-04-2008, 01:00 PM

With a 36 mile commute, I wish SEPTA offered better service to NE Phila Airport. I would love to take public transportation but it would take me at least an hour and a half each way.SEPTA is great if you work in the city, but it does me no good because I work in the 'burbs.

I'd love to be able to park my Tahoe and take the train or bus to work, but there's just no way.

Kairi_7378
06-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I agree that SEPTA (or other public transportation) isn't convenient for everyone... just saying that when it is available to you it is a good alternative to driving, and it can be a more economical choice, depending on where you're going. I was surprised when I worked in Center City how many of my co workers spent $300+ per month on parking not to mention gas. BUT... with all of these suggestions, people have weighed the pros and cons and selected what was best for themselves.

Now that I am looking for jobs, I am facing the fact that most of the ones in my industry are in the 'burbs, so I will loose the option of taking public transportation unless I want to spend 5 hours a day on a train... which I will miss.

Ian
06-04-2008, 02:06 PM
I almost wish I could find a job downtown. There's literally a train station in my backyard, so I could commute without even having to drive at all.

The only drawback would be having to pay the city wage tax. That's kind of like taking a 4% pay cut.

GrumpyFan
06-04-2008, 02:31 PM
I've adjusted my driving style. First, I'm not driving as much, trying to consolidate trips. Second, I've slowed down to try and avoid quick starts and stops. I'm sure it's annoying to some people, as they fly past me, but then I usually catch up to them at the next light and laugh at the thought of the gas I'm saving. I used to have to fill up once every 7-9 days, but since I've changed my style, I've actually been able to stretch it to 11!

Ian
06-04-2008, 02:58 PM
I've done that same thing. In fact, my truck has a real time miles-per-gallon gauge that tells you what your current mileage is at all times.

I now keep that up and use it as an indicator to tell me how my driving is affecting my gas mileage. I think it's helping.

princessgirls
06-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Although our salaries haven't changed, we are trying to be a little smarter. We are being pinched by higher gas prices and food, so we are going out to eat less and cutting back on some extra things. We won't be using the boat as much this summer, but we joined out town pool that was just put in and is as nice as any 5-star resort hotel pool. That was a nice surprise. I'm all for supporting the economy (just ask my DH), but my dollar is just not going as far as it did a year ago.
Julie:mickey:

Kairi_7378
06-04-2008, 10:18 PM
I've done that same thing. In fact, my truck has a real time miles-per-gallon gauge that tells you what your current mileage is at all times.

I think those gauges are neat. We don't have one on our cars. However, my husband listens to Car Talk on NPR and learned that if you keep your RMP's below a certain number, that your fuel consumption is less. (Harder to do on the highway.) He cracked down on me when gas was in the $2/gallon range... and I am glad he did because even though the prices are going up we've learned to drive a little smarter so the gas goes further.

I have to tell you one of the stupidest things I've heard about the economy. My friend's unemployed brother got his stimulus check last month. He used it... to spend a vacation in Montreal! Um, wasn't the point to use the money to stimulate the US economy? (Nothing against Canada, but it seemed a little bizarre to me to spend this particular money in a foreign country.)

DisneyOtaku
06-05-2008, 11:19 AM
For my family., the big thing is to cut down our driving as much as possible. Even then, for ME at least, it's not so much about the money (even though I do pay to put gas in the car) but more to help the environment. We switched to "green" lightbubs and turn off and unplug everything when we're not in the room or using it (minus the tvs).

I just wish I could get my mom and sister to eat out less! They know I'll gladly cook for them.

JanetMegan
06-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Well let's see, I'm approaching this all from a couple perspectives. First off, I've pretty much always been a cheapskate-ask around-I'm cheap ;)

But-I have been without a paycheck since mid-Dec of 2007 since I started my own business. Luckily I had some savings, got a good tax refund etc. But it's been tough. I'm also shopping around more for groceries, but living in the sticks I have to watch how using more gas to get the groceries actually effects the cost of what I buy. Less meat, more bulk chicken and stuff like that.

As a business owner I've also tried to match my employees work with their home location and having them stay home on days they don't have work helps my bottom line (I pay for their gas.)

Luckily I was never one for eating out anyways but I can't believe how much it costs for families to eat out. Then again, with some of the good coupons some places have been offering lately I can see where in some instances it would be cheaper to eat certain meals out. Example-our local Moe's has $5 burritoes including a drink and chips and salsa on Mondays. I couldn't buy all that stuff at the store for $5.

I will also say that I feel like in general things might be starting to turn around in some areas. We have clients who have been putting upgrades off for 6 months or so who are asking for us to come back and re-price and get a go ahead. So maybe things are looking back up? :D

ayeckley
06-05-2008, 01:20 PM
No cutbacks for us. Like lots of you we were pretty thrifty to begin with. Our only real luxuries are our Disney trips and Cedar Point season passes. We always buy used cars, do most of our own home maintenance, save appropriately for retirement, have a decent financial education, etc. The kids do go to a private school, but I don't really consider that a luxury - that's an investment. We haven't taken any RV trips yet this year, but that's mostly because there's been too much home repair to do after this winter and I'm having to work mandatory overtime because of the high rate of growth of my company (an engineering firm).

I agree with Ian's views on this; belief that the economy is worse than it is can be a self-fulfilling prophesy. Things aren't great for everyone, but that's normal. Honestly, I don't know anyone who is unemployed or facing a house forclosure, even though I apparently live in one of the most economically depressed states.

disneydeb
06-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I have also begun to turn off my car engine if I am stopped by a long train. I have adopted a no idle policy.

Go in for service instead of waiting in a drive through line at the bank,etc.

Ian
06-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Well let's see, I'm approaching this all from a couple perspectives. First off, I've pretty much always been a cheapskate-ask around-I'm cheap ;)I can definitely vouch for that ... Janet's as cheap as they come!

Honestly, I don't know anyone who is unemployed or facing a house forclosure, even though I apparently live in one of the most economically depressed states.I don't either. That's why I think the entire thing is moderately overstated. I'm sure some folks are feeling pinched, but I think the vast majority of the country is reacting to something that really is more perceived than reality.

2Epcot
06-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Honestly, I don't know anyone who is unemployed or facing a house forclosure, even though I apparently live in one of the most economically depressed states.

We live in Orange County CA which has many parts, considered by some, to be an area of higher wealth in Southern CA outside of the normal, Beverly Hills and Malibu places that everyone knows about. We've been looking at homes since the beginning of the year and are now in the process of buying one. We like where we live and wanted to stay in the area. I lost track of how many homes we looked at, but I'd say at least 90% of them were short-sale homes (about to be foreclosed) or actual foreclosed or bank owned homes. It was really sad to see how much money many of the people had put into some of these homes and how nice they were decorated, knowing they were going to have to give them up. We may not have known these people personally, but you had to feel for them when you see their pictures on the wall, or you go in to their home and say what a beautiful house you have, knowing they wish they could stay themselves.

Melanie
06-05-2008, 06:46 PM
I lost track of how many homes we looked at, but I'd say at least 90% of them were short-sale homes (about to be foreclosed) or actual foreclosed or bank owned homes. It was really sad to see how much money many of the people had put into some of these homes and how nice they were decorated, knowing they were going to have to give them up. We may not have known these people personally, but you had to feel for them when you see their pictures on the wall, or you go in to their home and say what a beautiful house you have, knowing they wish they could stay themselves.

I can vouch for this, because I have a friend who just moved to San Diego and they are looking at tons of homes with similar situations. She said it's really sad.

Personally, we haven't cut back. Nothing (except gas prices) has changed for us here, and really, we don't use a lot of gas. Easy to do when you live on an island. ;)

Ian
06-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Kind of an interesting point about homes in Cali, because they are among the hardest hit in the nation with the housing crunch.

Being in the mortgage biz, I can actually tell you that all the hullabaloo you see about falling home prices are driven almost solely out of four major markets ... California (specifically, southern Cal), Las Vegas, parts of Arizona, and Florida.

Those four areas account for a huge percentage of the decline in housing prices in the U.S. Speculators in those markets had driven prices through the roof. Then, when the market peaked, they all bailed and left a huge glut of homes on the market. In Vegas particularly, the condo market there is insane. There were something like a million unsold units or some ridiculous number like that. It's nuts.

Point being, though, that if you're not in one of those areas odds that your home has significantly declined in value are very slim. I know here housing prices haven't really declined at all. The increase has certainly slowed, if not completely stopped, but you still can't touch a single in these parts for under $500k and that's about what it was a year ago.

Hull-onian
06-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Homes in our area are selling anywheres between one million to over two million.
On the other hand, homes that are priced between $290,000 and $450,000 are hardly moving. We also have had foreclosures in our area. It is very sad.:(