PDA

View Full Version : Waitlisted for December

Tink&Goofy
05-24-2008, 03:52 PM
We are planning to go Dec 11-15. The only place currently available to book is Saratoga, which is not for us. We are currently waitlisted at AKV, BWV, and BC for ANY view of studio. I know this is a really popular time for DVC owners. What are the chances that anything will come thru? Should we make a regular cash ressie somewhere just in case??

Ian
05-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Sigh .............

Have you ever actually stayed at Saratoga, or are you just pre-judging it like so many others seem to?

I own there and I've stayed there quite a few times and it's really nice. It would be very foolish to pay out of pocket for a cash ressie as opposed to just staying at SSR.

Tink&Goofy
05-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Have you ever actually stayed at Saratoga, or are you just pre-judging it like so many others seem to?

Whoa....that was harsh.

We own at BC and AK because those are the areas we like to stay in. That is what is so nice about DVC - there is something for everyone.

My intent was simply to find out what the chances were of having a waitlist come thru at AKV, BCV or BWV. Can we play nice?? :confused:

JMTStone
05-24-2008, 05:44 PM
With the economy the way it is, I have a feeling lots of people's vacation plans will be changing this year. Its unfortunate but true. I'd hang in a while to see if your waitlist comes through.

Aurora
05-24-2008, 05:51 PM
I think Ian's point was that many on these boards seem to imply that Saratoga is somehow inferior to other DVC resorts, which is just not the case. It has a lot to offer, including a beautiful campus, pristine and large rooms, and a short walk to Downtown Disney, which is where everyone seems to end up either at night or right before they go home. Not a bad location, some would argue even better than AKV or OKW. And it is a very family-friendly resort, also contrary to some views.

As far as the wait list, that is anyone's guess. Even though it is the most popular time for DVC owners, my guess is that your chances are probably pretty good.

Just FYI, I made reservations yesterday for a 3-night stay less than three weeks from now for my parents at Saratoga, their home resort where they have stayed several times. However we waitlisted for the Boardwalk because my father is sight-impaired and the boxiness of the Boardwalk rooms work better for him for navigating.

The waitlist came through today -- only one day later.

Ian
05-24-2008, 07:18 PM
I didn't mean to be harsh ... I was just asking because, as Aurora pointed out, there seems to be a whole slew of folks who claim to "hate" SSR even though they've never stayed there.

Much like I make my kids try something before they are allowed to say they "hate it", it sort of irks me when people do that with SSR.

Anyway, to your original point, I'm waitlisted for the week before you at BWL, BCV, and VWL, but I'm not holding out much hope. As you pointed out, those are the most popular weeks for DVC. I called at exactly the 7 month window and was told there was nothing available anywhere other than SSR in a 1BR.

And before you ask ... yes we're booked at SSR and trying to move. But it's only because we've stayed at SSR a lot lately and we're looking for some variety.

Sharon1026
05-24-2008, 08:14 PM
I LOVE SSR.

We've been there a few times and it's been great!

Sunshine1010
05-24-2008, 09:40 PM
What are your chances?.....slim, but possible. I'd say you have a 30% chance. But - that 30% chance can STILL happen.

I'm going during your time and my 'use year' is December. So, at the 11 month mark....I made my ressies at my home resort (SSR) for my 10 day vacation.

On the 7 month mark, I called every day and switched over to the resort I wanted to try this year, OKW - 1 bedrm. I got every day except for 1 day, and I'm waitlisted for that day. I'm 99% sure it will come through.

In the past, I've made my 11 month mark and waitlisted for Boardwalk during the first 2 weeks of December. I got 5 days out of 9, but I got so scared that it wouldn't come through, I changed my dates to January instead where they told me that VWL were available. I got scared. Sure enough ---- the dates came through the next week and I would have gotten it. Soooo, it IS possible.

I suppose it depends on how nervous you get. I get REAL nervous. I just NEED to know where I'll be. But that's me.

Sooooooooooo, after all this, what is the answer to your question. Again -- possible.

Good luck --- and have an AWESOME time.

P.S. I like SSR too, but I also enjoy staying at other resorts.

hlkeck
05-25-2008, 08:47 PM
I actually had a wait list come through this week for AKV Studio from Dec 21-23 which has to be a pretty popular time too, although less so for DVC is my guess...

It took a couple weeks but the point regarding the economy (and GAS PRICES!) I think is right on. If we weren't using Frequent Flyer points for both trips this year - we'd be canceling. Just getting there is too expensive these days.

Hang on! But take the SSR for a back up.

dephenn
05-26-2008, 07:14 AM
To try and keep with your question, I would keep the reservation at SSR and wait list other options. I would not pay cash to stay else where (thats why we joined DVC) unless you feel that you could rent out your points and break even or close to even money wise. After all how much time do plan on spending at the resort any way, if you are like most of us your time is at the parks. If it is at the resort then you can visit or pool hop the other resorts. Anyway, have a great time and don't worry about where you stay all the DVC resorts have something special and different to offer.

lockedoutlogic
05-27-2008, 12:46 PM
I'll just chip this in....

Don't pay to stay elsewhere.....that is silly if you have the points...

But Saratoga is my least favorite....and it's not even close...

I've stayed there....it's not a bad resort...but i don't like several things about it:

It's too big....900 DVC units is too many....

the second is a spin off of the first...because there are so many units....the facilities are inadequate....the main pool is too small and the artist's palette is not enough

I just don't like it....maybe because they recycled the center of the Disney Institute...which was terrible....and then they built sprawling modules of units....maybe because i feel like i'm in brooklyn when i'm there....

just can't shake the feeling....

The one "advantage" to being there....the proximity to downtown....has been negated as well...because the crowds are so heavy all the time that the stores and restaurants are mobbed.

Saratoga is still nicer than the values...but i don't know if i enjoy it there more than the moderates (other than caribbean)...it certainly does not compare to the deluxes....and old key west is much better as well....if only because of olivias

I just think Saratoga is a miss....it was expanded too much because of greed....which makes DVC harder to navigate for everyone else....and they really cute the corners on theming....

it really has no "theme"...what they did throw was a horsepark in NY?

very exotic for a timeshare where half the members are from the northeast megaopolis...:ack:

Seasonscraps
05-27-2008, 01:41 PM
There's always a chance to get a wait list option. I went at a similar time in 2006. The trip was booked in Oct at SSR with a wait list for BW, BC or WL and we ended up staying at the BC.

I wouldn't pay cash unless I got some super crazy fantastic deal that's too good to pass up.

TooGoofy
05-27-2008, 06:46 PM
it really has no "theme"...what they did throw was a horsepark in NY?

Well, I know that this does not have anything to do with the original question, but horse racing has been a hugely popular pastime in Saratoga NY for many years!

As to the original question, we got a 1 BR at BWV
for Dec 13-18 last year when we joined DVC in mid-July...so it *can* happen. I'd take the SSR ressie and waitlist for another resort.

Good Luck!

lockedoutlogic
05-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Well, I know that this does not have anything to do with the original question, but horse racing has been a hugely popular pastime in Saratoga NY for many years!

As to the original question, we got a 1 BR at BWV
for Dec 13-18 last year when we joined DVC in mid-July...so it *can* happen. I'd take the SSR ressie and waitlist for another resort.

Good Luck!

oh i know all about the saratoga area and the horse racing history around the city....

i just think it doesn't fit very well with Disney, Florida....and me