PDA

View Full Version : Tips or Gratuity

starflyer59
05-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Please forgive me if this has been asked before. I have heard with the new dining plan that the tip or gratuity is not inlcuded in the dining plan.

My question is do they add it in automaticlly or do you choose how much you would like to tip?

We are planning a 20 year anniversary trip and plan on getting the dining plan again.

We are just worried about if can afford it, if we have to pay the tip out of our own pocket.

KineGirl
05-24-2008, 04:17 PM
A suggested tip amount of 18-20% gratuity will be on your "bill" (for lack of a better term) but unless your party is 6 or bigger, its a suggested amount not a requirement. You can pay the tip either in cash, Key to the World (if you have a credit card linkd to it) or on a credit card.

Happy Anniversary!

starflyer59
05-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Some friends of ours are at Disney this week and she called and said that she was getting a bill for around $50-$60 for every table service meal. This was the tip.

There are seven in their family so that would explain the $50 dollar tip for every table service meal.

SCbelle
05-24-2008, 05:53 PM
:confused:I would like to know what the average tip total would be at the end of, say, 7-10 TS meals for a family of two adults and one child over 5 days. I know it will vary based on restaurants, but could someone give me a range amount? I' d like to take cash to cover everything if possble and not have "Credit Card Shock":ill: when that bill arrives.

NotaGeek
05-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Some friends of ours are at Disney this week and she called and said that she was getting a bill for around $50-$60 for every table service meal. This was the tip.

There are seven in their family so that would explain the $50 dollar tip for every table service meal.

Well, the meal plans don't include tip or alcohol. If they are getting a $50 bill and it's just tip, that means their total check would be $250-300.00. Sounds normal for a party of 7 at a sit-down with no alcohol on the tab. I have done WDW on both the plan and off the plan, and either way, the CMs deserve the tips and hopefully you would pay it either way ...

I don't think it was any more expensive eating off the plan because I don't do all the snacks, and I just did 2 meals and a light lunch, the money came out close to even.

azdisneymom
05-24-2008, 10:44 PM
A suggested tip amount of 18-20% gratuity will be on your "bill" (for lack of a better term) but unless your party is 6 or bigger, its a suggested amount not a requirement. You can pay the tip either in cash, Key to the World (if you have a credit card linkd to it) or on a credit card.

Happy Anniversary!

The suggested tip is there for the mathmatically challenged, like me. It is not added to your bill. You are free to pay either 18% or 20%, or any other amount you desire. Groups of 6 or more, like your friends family, have it added on to the bill.

KineGirl
05-25-2008, 12:53 AM
:confused:I would like to know what the average tip total would be at the end of, say, 7-10 TS meals for a family of two adults and one child over 5 days. I know it will vary based on restaurants, but could someone give me a range amount? I' d like to take cash to cover everything if possble and not have "Credit Card Shock":ill: when that bill arrives.

This is based on the standard DDP - no appetizers or alcoholic beverages and the suggested 18-24% tip you would be presented with at the end of your meal.

I think a safe avg is $30-$40 a person per TS. So for a family of 3 that would range $90-&120 per TS. That would be a suggested $16-$24 tip per TS. Over the course of 7-10 days that would run $112-$240 in suggested tips total.

Hope that helps!

starflyer59
05-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the replies. The tips pretty much force us to go with counter service meals. The old dining plan was great for families on a budget. You could have your whole trip paid for before you arrived at Disney and then all you needed was a litte bit of money for other things.

Now I have to pay for a dining plan and then plan on another $200+ for tips.

If I have to pay $30-$40 a meal for TS then I might as well just skip the dining plan and pay for counter service.

Over the past few years Disney has slowly been pricing us out.

We used to have season passes and then they raised the prices, food went up, lodging has gone up.

We used to take about 6-8 small trips a year to disney, now it might be one small trip a year.

I'm am not sure what we will do now.

Thanks again for the answers.

TheRustyScupper
05-27-2008, 09:07 AM
1) As far as I am concerned suggest (or ask) for a tip = no tip.
2) I even tell this to CM's.
3) Some go along and some don't.
4) I they do not suggest a tip or tip amount, they get tipped.
5) If they suggest a tip or tip amount, they get stiffed.
6) I will not be talked down-to.

Mackflava99
05-27-2008, 09:16 AM
I am usually a good tipper 20% or more- if the service is good-
18 is a base that can go higher or lower.
if not its going to be like 15%.

Sorry to say but there is a level of expectation,
if we are looking around for the CM and they are no where to be found and our drinks are not refilled...stuff like that either adds to or detracts from the amount.

I tend to be more on the generus side and i do understand that the crowds dictate service level at times. But in reality, noone in my family is high maintenance, so we do not make it tough on the CM. So if we end up getting bad service, then its usually pretty bad before we complain.

WRWDisney
05-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Specifically to SCBelle, based on your previous meal choices, even if you look at tipping 20%, I would estimate that your tip would only be $55 for the three meals you had mentioned on your other post (Bomas, Luau and CRT).

I am uncertain where some of you are getting your numbers. I have waited tables in the past, so I think I tip generously (when deserved). Anything more than 20% is just about ridiculous.

To Starflyer, if you get the DDP and eat within its restrictions (i.e. no alcohol and no appetizer) then your average meal price per guest would be $35 for a 1TS restaurant, thus a very generous tip for the two of you would be $15 and I think a tip of $11.25 would be totally justified (btw, less than 15% is also o.k. at buffets). This is one of the many reasons I feel that the new DDP doesn't touch the old in terms of value, but it can still work out (we will be using it in a few weeks).

KineGirl
05-27-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. The tips pretty much force us to go with counter service meals. The old dining plan was great for families on a budget. You could have your whole trip paid for before you arrived at Disney and then all you needed was a litte bit of money for other things.

Now I have to pay for a dining plan and then plan on another $200+ for tips.

If I have to pay $30-$40 a meal for TS then I might as well just skip the dining plan and pay for counter service.
Over the past few years Disney has slowly been pricing us out.

We used to have season passes and then they raised the prices, food went up, lodging has gone up.

We used to take about 6-8 small trips a year to disney, now it might be one small trip a year.

I'm am not sure what we will do now.

Thanks again for the answers.

maybe Im confused with what youre saying but..

You dont "pay" for your meals on the DDP (its prepaid). For what you might pay out of pocket for TS, on the DDP you get a TS, a CS and a snack

That ($200) tip amount was based on a family of 3 eating 7-10 TS. Even if you and hubby stayed that long your tip range would be more like $73-
$125 (and the high end is for 10 TS).

This is all IMO....I actually think Disney has made big strides over the years in regards to its pkgs and value resorts to make it more affordable. Yes prices have gone up at Disney - so has it everywhere else. When I first started going to (& paying for) WDW almost 15 years ago it seemed to me that it was much more expensive and the avg family couldnt take committed annual trips as alot do today. It was, is and always will be a luxury though. Have you checked with MJ to see if they can help find you an accomodating pkg? Sometimes they can be real dream makers :cloud9:

Good luck and even if you do only get to go once this year, have fun!! :mickey:

DIppy Dawg
05-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Call me crazy, but I have developed a spreadsheet to see if the dining plan makes sense for me and my family. I scheduled our table service meals for our trip in Nov'08 which are: O'Hana, Whispering Canyons, LeCellier, Donald's Safari Breakfast, Mama Melrose Fantasmic Dinner Package, and Crystal Palace Breakfast. All of the meals are for a dinner seating except for the two breakfast days Based on the prices for these meals (found on this website) with the most expensive entrees and deserts for the al a carte meals and adding in tax of 11.5% and a tip of 18% I estimate that these meals would cost my family (2 adults and 3 children (3,7,9) $637.88. The cost of the basic meal plan for my family for 6 nights is $635.70. Add in to that an average tip of $20 per table service (the highest tip I calculated in the estimated amount was $18.35, so $20 is a good guess) and the true cost of the dining plan is then $755.70. The estimated meal expense calculated of $637.88 does not include the value of snacks and counter service meals which I estimate to be $10 per child per day and $15 per adult per day for a total of $360.00.

To sum it up for you:

Cost of Meal plan for family of 5 = $635.70
Estimated tip for table service meals = $120.00
True cost of mela plan = $755.70.

Estimated value of table service meals = $637.88
Estimate value of snack and counter service credits = $360.00
Total estimated value of meal plan = $997.88
Less true cost of meal plan = $755.70
Equals estimated savings for my family = $242.18

Works for me.

DIppy Dawg
05-27-2008, 10:57 AM
If anyone wants a copy of the spreadsheet let me know. It has most of the buffets and dinner shows on it.

NotaGeek
05-27-2008, 06:54 PM
1) As far as I am concerned suggest (or ask) for a tip = no tip.
2) I even tell this to CM's.
3) Some go along and some don't.
4) I they do not suggest a tip or tip amount, they get tipped.
5) If they suggest a tip or tip amount, they get stiffed.
6) I will not be talked down-to.

1) Too bad for the CMs if the register automatically enters that amount.
2) I think it might be just as disrespectful to stiff a tip of a GREAT CM just because a suggested tip amount appears on the bill. This is in place for foreign guests, as Americans should be use to tipping practices.
3) Is it really talking down to you to have a number on a piece of paper? :huh:

TheRustyScupper
05-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Is it really talking down to you to have a number on a piece of paper?

1) I personally think it is insulting.
2) The CM can easily remove the "recommended" tip or scratch it off.
3) The printed tip IS NOT for the use of foreign visitors.
4) It is to remind people to pay a tip.
5) I do not succumb to begging for tips.
6) Besides,
. . . who determined that an 18% tip was the norm for WDW?
. . . other than this was the company-union negotiated tip under the old DDP?
. . . who said the "service" was worth 18% on that meal?
7) Any web site on tipping gives a guideline of 15%-20% for tipping in America.
8) Even Emily Post says 15%-20%.

NOTE: Sure, I do expect some flames here, but each of us operates under our own rules. I simply do not want to be told how much to tip, as the amount at any individual meal is a personal evaluation of service rendered. How would anyone feel if when presenting the check the waiter said something like "you should tip me 18%". Pretty tacky.

Checkers
05-28-2008, 10:39 AM
I am usually a good tipper 20% or more- if the service is good-
18 is a base that can go higher or lower.
if not its going to be like 15%.

Sorry to say but there is a level of expectation,
if we are looking around for the CM and they are no where to be found and our drinks are not refilled...stuff like that either adds to or detracts from the amount.

I tend to be more on the generus side and i do understand that the crowds dictate service level at times. But in reality, noone in my family is high maintenance, so we do not make it tough on the CM. So if we end up getting bad service, then its usually pretty bad before we complain.

:mickey:Sounds just like our family! My DH & I were down at the end of April and decided to do the DP. We also have the DDE card and found it very tedious to figure out everything when we ordered appetizers/cocktails. We normally like to start our meals with a salad and in most cases now it is considered an appetizer. Anyway, just venting a little. We did eventually figure it out and all was well. I am one of those who would like to be able to choose an appetizer or dessert. But figuring out the tip on the meal plan + the tip for what is not on the DP can be a pain.:down:

We also paid cash for all our "extras and tips" because we did not leave a cc on file for charging purposes.

KineGirl
05-28-2008, 12:55 PM
1) I personally think it is insulting.
2) The CM can easily remove the "recommended" tip or scratch it off.
3) The printed tip IS NOT for the use of foreign visitors.
4) It is to remind people to pay a tip.
5) I do not succumb to begging for tips.
6) Besides,
. . . who determined that an 18% tip was the norm for WDW?
. . . other than this was the company-union negotiated tip under the old DDP?
. . . who said the "service" was worth 18% on that meal?
7) Any web site on tipping gives a guideline of 15%-20% for tipping in America.
8) Even Emily Post says 15%-20%.

NOTE: Sure, I do expect some flames here, but each of us operates under our own rules. I simply do not want to be told how much to tip, as the amount at any individual meal is a personal evaluation of service rendered. How would anyone feel if when presenting the check the waiter said something like "you should tip me 18%". Pretty tacky.

Are you personally going to tell them upfront before your meal that if they bring you something that states anything about a tip that you wont tip them? That you expect them to scratch off that portion? I think anything less than that is unfair. Even when youre on the DDP you get a slip to sign (that the recommended tip is on also) - I would imagine its an automatic thing - not something the servers put on their themselves or even could take off for that matter. If you dont tell them that its offensive to you then how are they to know and prevent it so they can get their hopefully well deserved tip?

This is a policy issue with Disney - not the servers.

Momof2boys
05-28-2008, 03:49 PM
We've always booked an AP room only reservation and used the DDE card. This year with being DVC members we are going to try the Dining Plan - usually we'd be more apt to each our table service meals at lunch instead of dinner so we're going to see what it's like.

As far as tipping, if the service is bad (no refills, dirty plates left on table, never seeing the waitstaff, etc) we do NOT tip. A tip is a thank you for providing good service and it's not automatic in our book.

We've had a few servers in the past (not at WDW) say that they make less than minimum wage and that we are supposed to tip them even though the service was horrible - I replied then they should go work at McDonald's and make minimum wage. I didn't force them to take that job and I don't like feeling guilty that they aren't not making $$$.

TheRustyScupper
05-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Are you personally going to tell them upfront before your meal that if they bring you something that states anything about a tip that you wont tip them?

1) Absolutely!
2) When I go to upscale eateries that do not know me, I pull the waiter aside.
3) I have a prepared speech that takes 5-seconds, or so.
3) I always tell the maitre d' or waiter
. . . fawning over the table earns at least 20% tips
. . . recommending tip amounts earns zero tips
. . . I expect a waiter and not a server
4) The waiters quickly see that I am a seasoned traveler.
5) Waiters love seasoned travelers, as we tip appropriately.

NOTE: After such a speech, I have only seen three "suggested" tips on WDW checks. I find that most people do not know what to expect from and eatery, and over-tip when they don't get it. If you got a bad meat from the grocer, you return it. Yet, if you get bad service, you don't complain to management or "reward" the waiter appropriately. Also, I prefer the word "waiter" not "server". I want to be waited upon, not just to have the food served. Delivery boys or girls are a-dime-a-dozen; good waiters are to be prized.

GabbyJacobsmom
05-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Not 100% sure but I am under the impression you tip based on the goods or food ordered. You do not include the taxes in the percentage of the tip. Has anyone doublechecked the receipt at WDW? I know that when I am out my family typically tips on the total even the tax, so therefore the waiter is getting well over the suggested amount. I personally do not know about WDW as this trip will be the 1st time on the DDP.

Curious to hear what others know about this.

MuchLovedMama
05-29-2008, 06:16 PM
I've made my ADR's for September & we have a party of 8 & was told with a party that large they automatically add 18% tip to all orders. I don't like that because then the server has no reason to work hard to please you.

droopy d.
05-29-2008, 07:03 PM
I always tip very well at sit down meals but does everyone still tip 18-24% at the buffets when you do most of the work?

TheRustyScupper
05-29-2008, 07:30 PM
I always tip very well at sit down meals but does everyone still tip 18-24% at the buffets when you do most of the work?

The industry standard is 10% for buffets.

TheDuckRocks
05-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Not 100% sure but I am under the impression you tip based on the goods or food ordered. You do not include the taxes in the percentage of the tip. Has anyone doublechecked the receipt at WDW? I know that when I am out my family typically tips on the total even the tax, so therefore the waiter is getting well over the suggested amount. I personally do not know about WDW as this trip will be the 1st time on the DDP.

Curious to hear what others know about this.

I just found my receipt from our last visit to Ohana (6 in our party so we got the mandatory tip added on). The tip was based on the cost before the tax was added on.

TheDuckRocks
05-30-2008, 10:04 AM
I've made my ADR's for September & we have a party of 8 & was told with a party that large they automatically add 18% tip to all orders. I don't like that because then the server has no reason to work hard to please you.

We received wonderful service for all of our meals for our party of 6. But what I did not like was that 2 of our waitresses "begged" for us to add more to the amount of the tip than the 18% that they were already getting.:mad: The first one was at Ohana where she verbably "enlightened" us for a good minute as to how we could add more to the tip for exceptional service. And this was from a person that had to be asked 3 times by my DH for steak to be served with the other meats.
The second time was at Boma where when we were presented with the bill there was a new age type poem about the beauty of waiting on us and how our extra generosity would do much to enrich her life.:ack: Very insulting and the extra tip she may have earned was kept in my wallet.:thedolls:

KylesMom
05-30-2008, 10:17 AM
I've made my ADR's for September & we have a party of 8 & was told with a party that large they automatically add 18% tip to all orders. I don't like that because then the server has no reason to work hard to please you. Here in the Chicagoland area, this is a common practice in all restaurants that we frequent. Some may say a party of 6, some 8, but an automatic 18-20% gratuity is added in when you receive the bill.