PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety is setting in...

princessjojo
05-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Our vacation is now at 16 days and counting. I love Disney and have been so excited about this trip since it's' conception. Now is time for my panic attack.

I've wanted to start packing for the last 2 weeks, but because the boys are still in school, they're still wearing many of their clothes. This usually never happens. I'm fine wearing the same 2-3 shorts or pants for a while. And the longer I wait, the worse it's going to get.

But it's not because I'm worried, it's because I'm so excited I can't wait to pack, and I'm afraid that even with list of list, I'll still forget something. Just wish me luck and stop by to enjoy a :marg: while I pack and unpack for the next few days.

Nurse Kim
05-24-2008, 11:00 AM
I went thrugh this too. Just relax and take a deep breath. I know how hard it's but you will get through it. I didn't get to complete our packing until the night before we left.:party:

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
05-24-2008, 11:22 AM
I understand your anxiety but from a mans perspective. You sound exactly like my wife when it come to packing. She normally has the suitcase packed 2 months before we leave. I have like two pair of socks and underwear for like 2 months. She loves Disney and so do I so I don't say anything to her I just play along. On the good side Disney is not in a bubble and if you forget something you can get what you need. You might pay through the nose for it but things can be replaced. Relax and enjoy the experience even the packing part.

Dakota Rose
05-24-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm an early packer too. (i.e. my hospital bag has been packed for 4 weeks and baby doesn't come for 7 more) I feel your anxiety. Anyhow, since you can't quite pack yet because of the clothes issue, how about doing this: every time you get the urge to pack, or start stressing about packing, check your list. Add the things that come to mind, or double-check that they are already on the list. Keep the list inside the suitcase to be used. And if that doesn't help with the anxiety, add the current location of the item to be packed. So when packing day does come, you just grab your list and collect the items on it. Plus this will help you figure out what else you may need to buy before packing day.Good luck!

pdrlkr
05-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Have a Magical Vacation! :tink:

BronxTigger
05-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Disney has stores and washing machines. If you do happen to forget something truly important, you can buy it there. If you run out of clothes, Disney sells clothes, or you can wash the ones you brought.

This is silly, but it works: When you pack, sing the song "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" (in your head).
Head: hair items (brush, scrunchies, etc)
Shoulders: clothes for above the waist
Knees: clothes for waist to ankles
Toes: shoes, socks
Eyes: glasses/contacts
Ears: Jewelry, headphones, electronics
Mouth: toothpaste/brush/chapstick
Nose: medicines (including razors, sunblock, deodorant)

Then I go into the bathroom and mentally run through a morning to collect any items I need.

Aside from that stuff, don't forget pajamas, swimwear, and TRAVEL DOCUMENTS.

Good luck!

DisneyDudet
05-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Bethany, do you sing that song to yourself when you pack?

Just picture me 2 weeks from now doing that for my cruise! I want to pack so badly right now!

Another good thing is to pack, then take half of it away. You, like most people, are probably an overpacker. I plan to NOT over pack when we go on my cruise. I will map out every outfit for every day, and will not stray. I usually pack a bunch of tops to go with a bunch of bottoms, and I pick once I'm there. I've learned that means too much!

I found some "sink" soap at Wal Mart, in the travel sized section. Its Tide that you add to a sink of water, and wash what you need (I would assume its small things), and line dry. Also, Target had some liquid Tide in a 2.8 FL or smaller packet that you can pop in the washer if you need to wash something (great thing to do on a pool day/afternoon). We also pack some dryer sheets within our suitcases to keep things smelling nice, plus we can pop one in the dryer, if need be.

Also, relax! You're about to go to the greatest place on earth! Forget something? Buy it. Sure, it may cost a fortune on site, but you will not have to go without.

I tend to make a list as I'm getting ready for work AND bed on what I need, and I do this for about a week. Sometimes I'll forget PJs, or my cell charger (easy to do when you don't have to charge it for the 2 days before your trip.. plus.. make sure you have it charged the DAY before.. because if you leave it plugged in overnight.. you're more likely to forget it). I give myself a week so that I can go through most, if not all, of the things I need.

Anywho, that was WAY longer than anticipated.

I hope you enjoy your time! Just don't forget your documents, tickets, MONEY, DL, and... your positive attitude!

princessjojo
05-24-2008, 09:41 PM
This is silly, but it works: When you pack, sing the song "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes...
That's too funny, but I can see how it would work. I used the same idea to learn Erikson's developmental stages during nursing school.

It is good that we'll have the convience of the washer/dryer in our DVC 2br so if I do forget something, I can just wash and re-use. The good thing is that we, before the days of $4/gallon, used to travel a lot so the 4 of us always have a personal care bag ready with shampoo/toothbrush/deodorant/etc. so that is always ready. I even have make-up in my bag, so that's ready as well.

Thank you all for your great tips. I just keep saying to myself, I can do anything for a day...including wait.

pink
05-25-2008, 12:03 PM
how about doing this: every time you get the urge to pack, or start stressing about packing, check your list.

This is good advice, I'm going away in over a week and already have a urge to pack but I'm wearing the clothes so I just have to wait it out. So whenever I get the urge I check my list. I also went out to Target and bought travelsize of things which makes you feel like you're preparing but it's ok to pack those things because you won't use them at home.

Don't stress, with a good list you won't forget all of the important things. :mickey: