PDA

View Full Version : Kids and Food

Dakota Rose
05-23-2008, 11:43 PM
What are some of the oddities about your kids/grandkids/nieces&nephews and the food they eat?

For example, my DS4 won't eat pizza. But he loves sushi and musubi. He refuses PB&J but loves curry. He hates bacon but will dip sausage in syrup or jelly. Skips juice, hates soda, begs for water. Won't eat sugary "kid" cereals but loves corn flakes. Loves sandwiches but won't eat grilled cheese or hamburgers. Loves broccoli and cauliflower but won't touch peas or carrots.

So what are your kids' food oddities?

alphamommy
05-24-2008, 04:48 AM
DD8 doesn't like pizza with sauce. We order hers with pepperoni, ham, black olives, and no sauce.

She loves shrimp, calamari, steak, most veggies, and just about any interesting marinated meat that DH has come up with, including some concoction with mustard that looked terrible to me.

She doesn't eat ketchup with her fries, and doesn't want jelly with her peanut butter. She has only had pasta with tomato based sauce a couple of times, and prefers it plain with butter and parmesan cheese.

DD would rather go to Applebee's or Outback than any fast food place, which isn't typical among my circle of friends' kids.

KineGirl
05-24-2008, 06:15 AM
Funny theres this thread..

We have been lucky enough to get to eat in some pretty nice restaurants on a semi regular basis all over the country due to mine & my hubbys business travels (ok..and we're foodies). When my daughter was young I used to worry about her and menu choices but she would poopoo her "kiddie meal" and would want my foie gras, escargot, pate, duckling, etc... and by age 9 started ordering all kinds of concoctions Ive been wary to try myself. We knew we were in trouble when she was 5 and we were at Sammys in NJ and she ordered on her own a " center cut filet (mignon) medium rare with bearnaise on the side please. Please make sure its a center cut". LOL I didnt even know that she knew what bearnaise or a center cut was! What makes her wierd is that she has never liked hamburgers, chicken nuggets and french fries or most "kid food" :confused: And trust me, while I love fine dining & cooking gourmet, we have our share of burgers & spaghetti too which always gets grumbles from her! Sometimes I wonder if my real daughter was switched with a Rockefeller. Now she is almost 18 and is a pantry chef (yes! a pantry chef!! for 2 years to boot!) at our areas only 4 star restaurant -go figure. One of the reasons she got the job was because she was able to identify several types of lettuce!! LOL Other than her food thing shes an everyday teenage girl personality wise. :rolleyes:

I can only guess she has an old soul that knows what it likes!

BrerGnat
05-24-2008, 08:55 AM
My 3 year old son eats like a supermodel. :D While he does also eat stuff like mac and cheese, ice cream, pizza (just plain cheese), and fries,

His favorite things are:
-salad
-raw veggies
-pretzels
-oatmeal
-grilled plain chicken breast (although, not so much anymore)
-BROWN rice
-lowfat vanilla yogurt

He will only eat vanilla ice cream, and only if it's soft. If it's not soft serve, we have to mash it up for him. He likes brownies but will NOT try cake or anything that resembles cake at all. He will eat the frosting, though.

His problem is that he's seriously skinny. While we try to calorie load him, he prefers the stuff that has hardly any calories and fat. :-o

Oh, and he only likes dark chocolate. Got that one from his mommy. ;)

Melanie
05-24-2008, 09:04 AM
My kids are pretty good eaters. They'll eat almost any vegetable and fruit, and even love soba soup and sushi here in Japan.

But ask my youngest to eat a hot dog, and he cringes. I guess that's not a bad thing. :)

Dakota Rose
05-24-2008, 09:44 AM
I knew there were other weird eaters out there! :) I love the filet mignon story! That's hilarious.

pink
05-24-2008, 10:21 AM
My 3 year old son eats like a supermodel.

That's funny. :thumbsup:

My younger brother is such a picky eater. Most of what he will eat is only Italian food and he won't eat ketchup because its too spicy yet he eat spicy tacos? :confused:

:mickey:

Sunshine1010
05-24-2008, 10:44 AM
My son (7 years old) loves 'good food' ---

- grilled chicken is his favorite, grilled steak, grilled pork chops, mashed potatoes, green beans, stewed carrots, sushi (just rice and seaweed for him), corn on the cob, DIET drinks, sausage biscuits ----

He hates - peanut butter and jelly, most candy bars, taffy, salad, onion.

DisneyDog
05-27-2008, 01:19 PM
I guess my DS5 likes typical "kid food." And won't eat anything he thinks is "grown up food." He does love fruit, and will only eat a few kinds of veggies, and only if they are raw (cucumbers, carrots, cauliflower), but he now eats corn on the cob, which is a huge step for him.

I don't force him to try new things because if he doesn't like it, the reaction isn't pretty :sick:. So, I offer, but I realize that "no means no." He has to want to try something in order for the experiment to be successful.

Gooftroop5
05-28-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't force him to try new things because if he doesn't like it, the reaction isn't pretty :sick:. So, I offer, but I realize that "no means no." He has to want to try something in order for the experiment to be successful.

Ds#2 is like this except he doesn't get :sick:. He will just refuse it no matter what. He will even go to bed hungry. If he eats it today there is no garauntee he eat it the next time. He eats all kinds of fruit but no vegetables unless they are fresh from the garden.

Ds#1 use to be picky still is to a point. He eats most things fruit no vegetables not even corn on the cob unless you count tomatoes which are technically fruit. During the summer he will eat cucumbers fresh from the garden. Don't put ketchup on anything this is his new thing. Won't eat it if it does. Doesn't eat potatoes including french fries. Only eat rice & pasta if it has tomato sauce on it. He eats all kinds of meat. His new discovery is that he likes tuna fish after he ate half of my grilled tuna steak.

DD is the easiest. She eats practically everything. All kinds of vegetables, fruits, meats, soups, stews,etc. She asks for salads. Loves seafood & fish (all but salmon). She is also willing to try something new. I usually order when we go out & her & I split a meal & just order her the salad on the side for her. There is a few things that she doesn't like but since she will eat pretty much anything I don't complain. The only one I didn't understand is last year no matter what she wouldn't eat yellow tomatoes. It was just a mind thing. So i just gave her the red ones from the garden.

Disneyatic
05-28-2008, 04:15 PM
My DD8 has very "grown up" preferences in food. Up until the last year or two she rarely ever ate sweets but lately she does eat them more often. She won't go near a PB&J sandwich!
She loves vegetables, boiled squash & zucchinni is one of her favorites! She loves steak & steamed broccoli, that's her favorite meal to order at restaurants! My mom makes all different types of quiche and she absolutely LOVES them, everytime we visit my parents DD requests a different variety of quiche.
When we go to Subway, DD orders a vegetable sub with spinach, lettuce, black olives, pickles & banana peppers. I get the weirdest looks from the people behind the counter and usually just say "that's what she likes" and smile :secret:
I am so glad for her healthier preferences (I never had those :blush:) I hope she keeps them!

meldan98
05-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Up until recently, my 4 year old dd wouldn't eat any red meat. She finally tried sphegetti and meatballs and loved it and has even requested hamburgers with cheese, not a cheesburger though...:blush: She will not eat any ground beef that is in any dish however, like lasagna, or sphegetti with meat sauce. Who knows...

She will however eat miso soup, sticky rice, edemame and will take bites of our fully cooked sushi rolls.

She is also the slowest eater in the world...oh my...I'm so tired of meals that take forever. But, in thinking about it, she is Miss. Slowpoke with just about everything. I really hope it's a phase.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-28-2008, 11:23 PM
My oldest is my pickiest. He will not eat peas or any kind of rice. He loves chicken, burgers, Sabrett hotdogs (only that brand), pork chops, and steak. He also loves lobster and shrimp. He loves Caesar salad but will not touch iceberg lettuce. He loves fresh veggies, nothing steamed though. I could go on and on..lol.

My middle son loves pretty much everything. The one thing he does not ever touch is ketchup.

They both prefer salty snacks like popcorn or pita chips, over cookies. Neither of them will touch cake of any kind. Birthdays are a lot of fun let me tell you.;)

My daughter is quite picky too. She loves pizza but, only white. She will only eat chicken, no red meat or seafood at all. Her favorite take out meal is Vegetable LoMein. She loves fruit and veggies, hates potatoes of any kind, including french fries. She is our junk food kid though. She would eat cookies and brownies all day if we let her. Much to her dismay, we don't! She is like her older brother in that she does not like ketchup either.

Meal times are lots of fun around here!