PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor's dog -- venting

DisneyDog
05-22-2008, 01:23 PM
I am a major dog lover, and a real sucker. I am always the one who finds the neighbors stray dogs (and there seem to be a lot in my neighborhood) and I bring them home.

I live in a typical suburban development, established for over 30 years. We are outside of Valley Forge, PA. There are a lot of very old (150 years +) homes scattered amongst the more modern ones. Behind my home are 2 old farm houses owned by 2 separate families. Neither one of these families watch their dogs. One has a Pug and the other has a German Shepard Dog. Both dogs always run away and neither house has a fence. I've given up with the German Shepard, as he just runs. The Pug, however, wanders off and then gets confused.

Today, I went home for lunch and found the little guy quite far (by Pug standards) from his home. Both of my dogs have passed away, and I no longer own a leash. So, sucker that I am, I picked him up and carried him home. Through my back yard, down the grassy hill (in my sandals) and to his front door. Of course, they weren't home. :mad: I had to leave him there, where he'll probably run away again.

I don't know these people. They keep to themselves. But, I feel so bad for the dog. They keep turkeys, and they have them in a fenced-in area. They let their dog run loose. I don't get it.

Now I am exhausted, my arms hurt (he weighs probably close to 30 pounds) and I am covered with fur. Such a sweet little guy. I should have taken him in to my house, but my cat would probably throw a fit.:(

KineGirl
05-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I can totally relate.. The area I live in is a beach retreat that is very welcoming to dogs. Shoot.. its practically a prerequisite to live here that you have to own at least one. One of the reason ppl like to come to our beaches is because how accomodating our beaches and rentals are to pups. It can truly be a vacation for the whole family and I think thats great.. pups love the beach too and could use a change of scenery every now and then. Well for some reason though ppl think that that means when they come here, where everything is residential mind you, that its ok to simply open the door and let their dog run free through our neighborhoods! This is highly frowned upon even amongst the locals and I dont understand why anyone would think its ok anyways. I love my dog and would never let her just roam especially in an unknown neighborhood to her! I see it starting every spring - strange dogs big and small, loose and free roaming. Sometimes theyre rather scary looking big dogs (like mine - 1/2 pit 1/2 lab, 90 lbs - shes a total sweetheart but imagine THAT running up on you or your children!). Not to mention that while I think its great we can bring our dogs to the beach, the tourists are notorious for letting them do their "business" all over it, never picking it up and thinking "isnt it wonderful that the ocean will wash it away?!" No it is NOT wonderful!! The fish we all catch is eating that poop - gross!! Not to mention its just plain nasty for the local ecosystem on a whole and 3/4 of that poop is too far up the beach for the tide to ever reach it.

LOL Im sorry you have to deal with uncaring pet owners but Im glad you gave me a chace to vent - I had no idea how badly I needed to get that out :blush:

And let me thank you for caring enough and taking the time to help our little fur-iends in need. :dog:

biodtl
05-22-2008, 02:11 PM
I feel your pain. We have a couple of dog problems as well. Our neighbors 2 doors down have a very sweet dog that we like a lot, but they let her run fre all the time. Their attitude is that she only goes so far - never goes in the street - always comes back, etc.

Unfortunately, while she's out, she gets in our garbage, poops in out yard (and I have enough poop to clean with my own dog) and best of all - steals things from our yard and porch. And the best part is that the neighbors act all ticked off when they have to bring back something that their dog brought home! As if it's our fault for having a toy or ball on the porch, or have a towel drying outside after swimming.

The worst thing was when they brought a doll back that they thought was ours (it wasn't - must've been another neighbor's) and nistead of leaving it on the porch, they put it head down in a bucket of water (the bucket was on the porch and it had rained). If that HAD been DD's doll, I would have been fuming!

Then we have our neighbors across the street that have a vicous, bloodthirsty beast that gets loose and tries to eat you. He's a treat.

DisneyDog
05-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Luckily, all of the ones I have to deal with are nice dogs.

The sad thing is, these people don't seem to care about this dog. And he is so sweet and gentle. I haven't held a dog in my arms since December, when I had to put down my Tango, who I miss so desperately. There was definitely a part of me that just wanted to take this dog home and make him mine.:cloud9: But, that would be stealing. So, I had to take him home to be ignored.:(

KineGirl
05-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Luckily, all of the ones I have to deal with are nice dogs.

The sad thing is, these people don't seem to care about this dog. And he is so sweet and gentle. I haven't held a dog in my arms since December, when I had to put down my Tango, who I miss so desperately. There was definitely a part of me that just wanted to take this dog home and make him mine.:cloud9: But, that would be stealing. So, I had to take him home to be ignored.:(

My best friend is in the exact situation you are - there is a sweet pure bred pug that the family just does not seem to care about. She decided to keep it after the literally 20 somethingth time she had brought it back to them only to have it loose a day or 2 later. The ppl have a very nonchalant attitude toward the poor pup and even when they do contain it - its usually locked up outside in a pen (in S FL mind you) with no water for hours and hours! She felt like it wasnt stealing when the dog seems so free for the taking and that if they came by looking for it she would give it back - its been a little over a week and no one has come asking. I admit I felt uncomfortable with her just keeping the pup and suggested that she call animal control on them regarding neglect. That way they would take the dog (legally) and she could adopt him (legally). Both are thoughts to consider.

DisneyDog
05-22-2008, 02:41 PM
I am afraid that something bad will happen to the dog if animal control takes him away.

LauraF
05-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Don't worry about animal control.

Having worked for an animal shelter (no-kill, couldn't have it any other way), I can tell you that the animals that are brought in are treated very well. They get a full vet checkup, a balanced diet, toys, their own bed, and the place I worked had "socializers" - the job of playing with the animals and getting them used to humans. Some (not all) places put them down after a few weeks, but they hate to do it, so if anyone is interested they try very hard to work with them for placement.

That said, animal control will be reluctant to take the dog away unless there is egregious abuse happening that can be proven to a judge- lack of food, too long in a cage of tied out, scars, welts, scores, burns, or that sort of thing. It has to be obivous neglect.

MMouse6937
05-22-2008, 02:52 PM
It's nice that you care so much for this little pug, I'm sure it's the first time in his life that anyone has shown him some affection. We have always had neighbors on and off that would leave their dogs outside for hours without water, leave them out when it's freezing cold, leave them chained outside, etc. When I think of it too much it makes me cry. My girls are *indoor* dogs, they go out to do their business and then they are back in the house laying on the couch, it's the way it is at our house. I often wish that all dogs could experience what it was like to be a member of a loving family who wanted them to be comfortable, warm, well fed, and happy. So many dogs will never know what that feels like and it breaks my heart.

I really do think it you called animal control and said you found a stray dog (which is really what he is) and that you want to keep him, there would be a way that could happen. They don't want to euthanize an animal if there is a perfectly good family that wants to give them a home.

Good luck to you, thanks for being such a concerned pet person! :puppy:

SBETigg
05-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Poor pug! I have a pug and he, too, is easily confused. Pugs need their people. They're not that independent (not like corgis, who do pretty well for themselves, as you know). And they do shed quite a bit, so no surprise you were covered in fur. I can't believe the careless people let their dogs run free like that, and when they're not even home? Sad.

Stitchahula
05-22-2008, 03:19 PM
It makes me crazy when I see dogs out and about on their own. My dogs have always been leashed or fenced in. It took 1 time that my dog pulled out of her collar (hubby put leash on wrong collar) for her to take off running only to be hit by a car luckily the only thing wrong was she needed stitches. I also get really mad when I see dogs left in cars while people go shopping. It's not so bad when it's cool out but when it's hot outside it can kill the dog they can't stand to be without to even go to the store.

pink
05-22-2008, 07:03 PM
I am afraid that something bad will happen to the dog if animal control takes him away.

I know how you feel, but the dog will at least be safe with animal control it could get easily hurt or run over by a car if it's owner just lets it run free like that and they're not even home to keep an eye on it. I have a pug and it just breaks my heart to hear there is one being neglected. I hope everything works out, keep us posted. :mickey:

DisneyDog
05-23-2008, 12:25 PM
My DH claims that the dog escapes through their back door. But I can't believe that. I walked all around their house and their doors were locked -- and I didn't see any doggie doors. If he had escaped, then there would have been some way for me to put him back inside the house. I haven't seen him around at all, but I didn't get home until almost 8pm last night.

Cinderelley
05-23-2008, 12:44 PM
I second the idea of calling animal control - although our city ordinances are a bit stricter it sounds like. Our neighbor used to let her dogs run wild all over the neighborhood. Then one summer, she left them outside while she went on vacation. (You have to understand that it gets VERY HOT here in Phoenix, so I was very concerned about heat stroke.) I called animal control who came out quickly. (We have EMTs for animals here.) We helped them load the animals up and off they went until the neighbors got home. After paying quite a bit of $$$ to get their animals back, the neighbors don't let them run loose anymore.

pink
05-23-2008, 08:35 PM
I second the idea of calling animal control - although our city ordinances are a bit stricter it sounds like. Our neighbor used to let her dogs run wild all over the neighborhood. Then one summer, she left them outside while she went on vacation. (You have to understand that it gets VERY HOT here in Phoenix, so I was very concerned about heat stroke.) I called animal control who came out quickly. (We have EMTs for animals here.) We helped them load the animals up and off they went until the neighbors got home. After paying quite a bit of $$$ to get their animals back, the neighbors don't let them run loose anymore.

Wow, I feel so bad for those animals. Phoenix is brutally hot, especially in the summer. You did a good thing and I'm glad the animals were safe in the end. Hopefully they learned a lesson. :mickey:

NotaGeek
05-23-2008, 09:02 PM
I am not sure what the laws are in your state ... but maybe contacting your local chapter of the American Humane Society or the ASPCA could help. Lots of states have laws protecting animals, and protecting people from animals that are running loose.

I am a HUGE animal rights advocate and dog lover. I personally believe that if the dogs aren't living a good, healthy protected and loved life, it's worse to NOT do anything for fear that they will humanely euthanised. It would be a much worse death to be hit by a car and die on the side of the road in pain. Maybe your neighbors just need a wakeup call, or maybe these dogs will find humans that can give them a better life. I say call for the good of the animals.

Dakota Rose
05-23-2008, 11:49 PM
OH yes. I can relate. Our neighbor has 6 dogs. Granted we live in a rural area but c'mon 6? Anyhow, all 6 are left to run free all day and night. Some are quite old, all are tick-infested, most are stubborn. They'll wander into our garage and not leave unless physically pushed. I can't say these people have any sort of good judgment as they also let their 14 yo son do whatever he wants and last summer he started the field on fire. Lovely.

smcd
05-27-2008, 02:52 PM
I can't believe anyone would leave a pug run free.. Poor little guy. Specially as it's starting on summer. We have a 3 year old pug - also about 30 lbs (no, he's not overweight, just a giant of a pug) and can't imagine leaving him outside. Or leaving him along for long times at all for that matter.

MNNHFLTX
05-27-2008, 03:21 PM
The next time your neighbor's pug is allowed to wander, I think it would be totally understandable if you took him or at least let the authorities know about it so that they can keep an eye out for the pup. If his owners care so little for their dog's welfare in that area, chances are that they are not being conscientious in other areas as well. For example, some people that live a few streets down in our subdivision always let their golden lab roam freely around the neighborhood. I can't tell you how many mornings that dog followed me and my dogs around on our walk. In fact, several times I deliberately went by the owner's house during our jaunt to knock on the door and let them know that the dog had wandered off quite a distance and almost got hit by a car a couple of times. They acted vaguely hostile with me and the way they took the dog back in made me wonder how they treated the poor guy at home. Finally our next-door neighbors, where the dog also liked to hang out at, took him in. They took him to the vet, where they found out that he had heartworm and was malnourished, had him treated to the tune of $1000 and waited to see if "lost dog" posters were put out by the original owners. None were ever posted and so they kept the dog. Two years later, that dog is happy and healthy, with owners that walk him and play with him and give him lots of love. He probably wouldn't even be alive today if it weren't for them.

Princess'Mom
05-29-2008, 01:26 PM
The next time your neighbor's pug is allowed to wander, I think it would be totally understandable if you took him or at least let the authorities know about it so that they can keep an eye out for the pup. If his owners care so little for their dog's welfare in that area, chances are that they are not being conscientious in other areas as well. For example, some people that live a few streets down in our subdivision always let their golden lab roam freely around the neighborhood. I can't tell you how many mornings that dog followed me and my dogs around on our walk. In fact, several times I deliberately went by the owner's house during our jaunt to knock on the door and let them know that the dog had wandered off quite a distance and almost got hit by a car a couple of times. They acted vaguely hostile with me and the way they took the dog back in made me wonder how they treated the poor guy at home. Finally our next-door neighbors, where the dog also liked to hang out at, took him in. They took him to the vet, where they found out that he had heartworm and was malnourished, had him treated to the tune of $1000 and waited to see if "lost dog" posters were put out by the original owners. None were ever posted and so they kept the dog. Two years later, that dog is happy and healthy, with owners that walk him and play with him and give him lots of love. He probably wouldn't even be alive today if it weren't for them.

Unfortunately this occurs throughout the country. A co-worker of mine had the same trouble with a neighbor and their dog. The neighbors just didn't care for the animal and let her run loose. My friend took the dog in and the people never knew their pet was missing! For weeks on end! In fact, my friend took the dog to the beach for a week! To make a long story short, my friend's husband offered the neighbor $50 for the dog, which they accepted.

Happily ever after for my friend and her new furry daughter!

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-30-2008, 10:14 PM
We have a couple of problem dogs in our area....or should I saw dog owners. One lets there aggressive german/akita mix roam the neighborhood free (in my neighborhood the homes are VERY close together - .10 - .15 acre lots) and the other leaves the dog chained outside 24/7 and it is a constant barker. All night and all day. So I feel your pain.

tinkerbellybutton
05-31-2008, 07:44 AM
First of all as others have said, Thanks for being such help to those who cannot help themselves. I agree with calling the authorities, I wouldn't worry about what will happen if you call animal control, I would be more worried about what will happen if you don't. Someday his luck is going to run out. My ex and I were driving down a four lane 35 mile an hour road, we were in the right hand lane and there was a car almost exactly beside us on the left. My ex was only going 30 but all of a sudden a little dog came running out from in front of the car beside, just narrowly being missed, he was not so lucky however when he darted in front of us, there was just no time to react and we hit him. He was killed instantly. I sat holding him and crying while we waited for the police and animal control. It turns out that the owner had the dog for 11 years and had never leashed him. His neighbors said it had been a miracle that he had lived that long without being hit. So that poor baby had to suffer due to his owners stupidity. Not to mention how tortured we were that we had hit him.

DisneyDog
06-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks again to everyone and their advice/stories. I still haven't seen the pug again. Usually, I only see him about once a month, when he gets loose.

Years ago I was on my way to work and a dog ran out in front of my car. I hit him and I was devastated. The dog had been let out of his car, apparently saw a squirrel in the park across the street, and ran to chase it. The people lived on a divided road where the speed limit was around 35-40mph. I had 2 dogs at home at the time, and my DH describes me as "every doggie's mommy." I stopped and the people were shocked that I actually stopped. I went back to visit on my lunch break, and the dog was at University of PA vet ER (the best place to take an animal anywhere). He ended up being okay -- some internal bleeding that thankfully stopped). My car had about $400 dollars in damage, and I ended up paying for it myself, I felt so bad about the dog (even though it was their fault). I am such a sucker and a softy when it comes to furry friends.

RenDuran
06-02-2008, 01:15 PM
My car had about $400 dollars in damage, and I ended up paying for it myself, I felt so bad about the dog (even though it was their fault). I am such a sucker and a softy when it comes to furry friends.

I would have done the same! Made me giggle when I read that, though.