PDA

View Full Version : Is this really offensive?

smartinez1
05-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Ok, so last September when we were there, we were standing in line for Soarin. There was an older couple in front of us and a few people up there was a teenage girl probably 16 or so with a black t-shirt and in pink writing it said "Save the ta-ta's" and a pink breast cancer ribbon on it. Well this woman was utterly insulted by this shirt and wouldn't stop talking about it to her husband for the 25 or so minutes that we stood in line. As someone who lost a mother at the entirely too young age of 40 to breast cancer, I thought it was kind of cute. Ok, now I do understand what it means, but seriously, if she was worried about younger kids, would most young kids even know what that means? I mean I don't think it's really a well known slang, but I would think young kids wouldn't really get it. I mean there are shirts out there that talk about Breast cancer, and being a survivor, I would think they would know the word breast first before the word ta-ta. I mean there are a ton of songs out there where they use both of those words in them constantly. Anyway, she just kept going on and on about it, but I didn't really think it was that big of a deal. Am I wrong?

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
05-22-2008, 01:09 PM
It is a very sensitive topic without a doubt, but personally I don't see anything wrong with what the shirt said. It was trying to put a smile on your face but also give a message. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes.

Chris :hatter:

kdbianchini
05-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I have seen that t-shirt before and I really like it. I think because it is funny it will get more people involved in breast cancer awareness.

Disney Doll
05-22-2008, 01:15 PM
I think the t-shirt is great! Surely the people who are offended can think of something more important to worry about. The message on the shirt was a positive one and I commend anyone who's involved in raising awareness.

goofy for pluto
05-22-2008, 01:21 PM
While I have not seen the t-Shirt, I have seen the bumper sticker.
While it is not something I would wear, I do not have a problem with others wearing it.

biodtl
05-22-2008, 01:24 PM
It doesn't bother me, but it has been an issue before - I seem to remember a group of girls who had the same or similar shirt for sale and were banned from selling it and there was also a news story about a girl who wore this shirt to school and was sent home.

Piglet822
05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I think that it would raise breast cancer awareness among the younger, teenage crowd being worded the way it is. That's a good thing :thumbsup:

Ian
05-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Here's my take on it ....

Do I find it offensive? No, not really. But it is tasteless, and I just don't understand why it's necessary to be tacky in order to raise awareness for breast cancer.

I actually find it doubly tasteless to wear a shirt like that in Disney World with so many kids around. I really don't feel like standing in line with my DD6 and having to answer the question, "Daddy, what are ta-tas?"

Stitchahula
05-22-2008, 03:32 PM
I hope it was the slang they were upset about and not the message itself. I think that awareness is so important that if they choose to get out the message with slang so be it.

DizNee143
05-22-2008, 03:34 PM
lol..i have never seen the shirt personally..but that is an awesome way/use of words to help support breast cancer awareness...i find nothing wrong with it at all!!!!!!

ElenitaB
05-22-2008, 03:49 PM
To tell the truth, I find it rather amusing. I first saw that t-shirt at last year's Revlon Run/Walk for Women's Cancers, and everyone adored it. When you're in the trenches, a little humor never hurts.

I've seen far tackier t-shirts around (even at WDW); at least this one was for a good cause.

drummerboy
05-22-2008, 03:51 PM
I really don't feel like standing in line with my DD6 and having to answer the question, "Daddy, what are ta-tas?"
Ian, you could always tell her they're trying to save the cars (http://www.tata.com/tata_motors/index.htm) .

Jasper
05-22-2008, 03:59 PM

Do I find it offensive? No, not really. But it is tasteless, and I just don't understand why it's necessary to be tacky in order to raise awareness for breast cancer.

I actually find it doubly tasteless to wear a shirt like that in Disney World with so many kids around. I really don't feel like standing in line with my DD6 and having to answer the question, "Daddy, what are ta-tas?"

:ditto::exactly:

I also agree that it is tacky and not in the best of taste, especially worn at WDW. However, for the offended party to carry on for 25 minutes about it was also tacky. If they felt that strongly about it then they should have VERY nicely told the wearer that they found it offensive and then let it go. Or better yet, they should have gone into the nearest gift shop (you know there is one within 5 feet of any location in WDW anyway) and buy the offender a nice Disney shirt and give it to the offender as a gift and ask her to consider going into a restroom and changing!

Jasper
05-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Ian, you could always tell her they're trying to save the cars (http://www.tata.com/tata_motors/index.htm) .

Sorry for serial posting but I missed this the first time. I had no idea there had ever been a car company by this name!

TennesseeTink
05-22-2008, 04:03 PM
I think that it would raise breast cancer awareness among the younger, teenage crowd being worded the way it is. That's a good thing :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly.:thumbsup: I first saw a bumper magnet like this at WDW. It absolutely caught my attention and lead to a conversation with my DDs(10&16) about breast cancer that we otherwise would not have had.

Scar
05-22-2008, 04:12 PM
I always thought it meant good bye. :shrug:

Ta ta for now!

Disneyatic
05-22-2008, 04:15 PM
While it doesn't offend me and I think it's cute and a modern way to raise awareness, I can see how it could offend more sensitive people. Especially those type of people that can be offended by almost anything and love to rail on and on about things.

I do agree though that it could start an interesting conversation with younger children on what "ta-tas" are :blush:
But my DD8 knows what breasts are and I would just explain that it's a slang word for breasts that some people use. It's way better than some of the other slang that is used for that same body part!

Ian
05-22-2008, 04:23 PM
I realize it's not like the end of the world or anything, but I just don't get the need for the coarseness of the shirt. I actually find that it cheapens the cause to a degree.

Why not just make a nice, tasteful shirt that says, "Breast Cancer Awareness" on it or something? What do you gain by adding the tasteless slang to the shirt?

I dunno ... I find this to be just another part of the overall coarsening of our society. I just don't see the benefit ... keep it clean and more people will be interested.

Look at that woman that was offended. Did the shirt do anything to help her become more interested in fighting breast cancer? A potentially offensive shirt alienates some people, while a nice, tasteful shirt is going to help your cause across the board.

murphy1
05-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Good answer, Jeannie, I liked it!

If my kid asked me that, I would just say what tatas are or point and that would be the end of that. I have three girls and I really don't want them asking their friends, I think it also opens up conversation on things with your kids, maybe Disney isn't the best place for it though LOL

princessjojo
05-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I agee with you, Ian, to a point. Our society is becoming more "accepting" to bluntness. And yes, their message could have been stated in a more simplistic manner. However, many times people find, simplicity boreing. I do. Besides, what you and others may feel as tastelessness of the shirt actually accomplished what they were out to do. It started a discussion about breast cancer. and though it was more about the shirt, it also made you aware of the cause, good, bad or indifferent.

Would I wear it, probably not. I don't really find it offensive either. But would I wear a boreing shirt about breast cancer, no to that one also. If I had to choose, I would wear the "ta-ta's" first.

Disneyatic
05-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Again, while I am not offended by what the shirt said, I wouldn't wear it either.
Personally I don't want to walk around with a shirt on that says "ta-tas" on it :secret:

I see where you are coming from with the point of "is it really necessary to use the slang" and it's not, but t-shirts with edgy sayings are all the rage right now and this shirt fits into that category while touting an awareness for a worthy cause.

kakn7294
05-22-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't find it offensive at all although I can see how some people might. I think it's an effective way to get the message out there to girls of that age group. If my DD's (ages 8 and 13) asked what ta-ta's are, I would explain it to them - I don't see it as a big deal.

pink
05-22-2008, 06:50 PM
I would explain it to them - I don't see it as a big deal.

I don't see what the big deal is either. If they ask I would simply explain- it's just a body part.

Overall, I don't think its offensive for that girl to wear that t-shirt and if it were me wearing that t-shirt and some lady came over to me lecturing me about putting on something else I would be offended- who knows who that girl knew that was affected by breast cancer? I've seen people wear much more offensive and revealing clothing than that at WDW. :mickey:

Caroleh
05-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Overall, I don't think its offensive for that girl to wear that t-shirt and if it were me wearing that t-shirt and some lady came over to me lecturing me about putting on something else I would be offended- who knows who that girl knew that was affected by breast cancer? I've seen people wear much more offensive and revealing clothing than that at WDW. :mickey:

I agree. How would you feel if you spoke to the girl and you found out she lost a family member to this terrible disease? I see the t-shirt as bringing awareness to the disease. As women, this is one of the things we need to be totally aware of because it can hit hit anyone at anytime. You don't have to be an adult.

I'm really sorry, but this is a very sensitive subject with me and we really need to get the message out, to women and girls of all ages.

MNNHFLTX
05-22-2008, 07:16 PM
I guarantee you that if the t-shirt had said something as straight forward as "breast cancer awareness", that woman would have still complained. Part of the reason that slogan was created was to grab people's attention and get an important women's health issue out in the open, instead of keeping it as something that people don't talk about. I understand that not everyone is as comfortable with that and that's okay. But personally I don't see anything vulgar about it.

If a child were to ask a question about it, I think it would be a good opportunity (depending on their age) to talk about it. If my son had asked me when he was younger I would have taken him aside and given him a simple explanation.

tinkerbelle75
05-22-2008, 09:08 PM
:ditto::exactly:

I also agree that it is tacky and not in the best of taste, especially worn at WDW. However, for the offended party to carry on for 25 minutes about it was also tacky. If they felt that strongly about it then they should have VERY nicely told the wearer that they found it offensive and then let it go. Or better yet, they should have gone into the nearest gift shop (you know there is one within 5 feet of any location in WDW anyway) and buy the offender a nice Disney shirt and give it to the offender as a gift and ask her to consider going into a restroom and changing!

Are you joking????
I disagree wholeheartedly with both of these suggestions. I am a firm believer in minding your own business if something isn't really affecting you, and to start something up about a t-shirt is...well....offensive.
Why is "ta-ta" a "no-no" anyway??
Don't little kids have names like that for lots of different body parts? I surely didn't expect my kids to use the proper anatomical terms when they were younger.

tinksmom02
05-22-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm not offended by the shirt...
here's my take...

If this woman was so offended by the ta-tas shirt that she went on about it for 25 minutes, then it will probably be one of her more vivid memories of the trip. Hopefully, she gets home and retells the story to anyone who'll listen...she'll inadvertantly be promoting awareness. Kind of along the lines of "all publicity is good publicity."

I bet that if the young woman had been wearing a simple "breast cancer awareness" T-shirt, the offended woman probably wouldn't even have noticed it. Which, I think, is the point of the ta-tas shirt.

Disney Doll
05-22-2008, 10:01 PM
If they felt that strongly about it then they should have VERY nicely told the wearer that they found it offensive and then let it go. Or better yet, they should have gone into the nearest gift shop (you know there is one within 5 feet of any location in WDW anyway) and buy the offender a nice Disney shirt and give it to the offender as a gift and ask her to consider going into a restroom and changing!

Um no if they felt that strongly about it they should just quietly stew about it. It's not their place to suggest that this girl change her shirt. What kind of people find themselves that wrapped up in someone else's t-shirt while at WDW?

Even if the shirt is not your taste surely you can appreciate the meaning behind the message. I absolutely think that it's more eye catching and more noticable than a shirt that just said breast cancer awareness. Hey, we're all talking about it so it's done the job it was intended to do. If my kid asked about ta-tas I'd explain. It's no big deal. Talking about boobs is okay. :)

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-22-2008, 10:43 PM
I find it more rude that this woman went on about the shirt for 25 minutes. If that expression is the most distressing thing in her life, I guess she's a very lucky woman.
As for the suggestion about buying her a shirt and telling/asking her to go change, that would be even more out of line.
We go to the summer concert series at the Hatch Shell here in Boston and let me tell you, some of the things you see would make you cringe. But my sisters and I quietly poke fun at them between ourselves. We don't rant and rave for 25 minutes for everyone to hear.
I don't think there was anything wrong with that shirt.

katzctkpt
05-22-2008, 11:00 PM

I realize it's not like the end of the world or anything, but I just don't get the need for the coarseness of the shirt. I actually find that it cheapens the cause to a degree.

Why not just make a nice, tasteful shirt that says, "Breast Cancer Awareness" on it or something? What do you gain by adding the tasteless slang to the shirt?

I dunno ... I find this to be just another part of the overall coarsening of our society. I just don't see the benefit ... keep it clean and more people will be interested.

Look at that woman that was offended. Did the shirt do anything to help her become more interested in fighting breast cancer? A potentially offensive shirt alienates some people, while a nice, tasteful shirt is going to help your cause across the board.

:ditto: :exactly: 100%

RenDuran
05-23-2008, 08:37 AM
This thread made me laugh, because my nickname as a child was Ta Ta! My little cousin couldn't say Sonja, so I became a big boob obviously!

And there are far worse slang terms for breasts...in fact, a few that I find offensive. I personally find "ta ta" funny.

I guess some of you would have found my young daughter and I offensive recently. We were at a Health Expo and one of the stands was giving out stickers with the words "feel your boobies" and their internet site. Since we have a good friend that has terminal breast cancer we thought it was great to wear those stickers on our shirts. Any time we can raise awareness we're glad to do it.

Mickey'sGirl
05-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Why not just make a nice, tasteful shirt that says, "Breast Cancer Awareness" on it or something? What do you gain by adding the tasteless slang to the shirt?....because people would not be talking about it. Getting people to question things is the first step in educating them.

That said -- I would not wear the shirt, but I would chuckle when I saw it -- and if my sons questionned its meaning, I would tell them that ta-ta's are breasts and that too many people die every year from Breast Cancer and other cancers.

thrillme
05-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I've see the shirt. I really don't take any offense to it at all. If I had a child that was old enough to read and ask the question...I'd welcome it.

A "breast cancer" shirt says very "little". I think this shirt has done a WONDERFUL thing. For 25 minutes people started talking about the shirt. If this is the shirt I've seen (I'm sure it is)...it's pretty unmistakeable that it's advertising breast cancer awareness. Humor too is a great advertisement.

I know if my child was 5 or 6 and asked what a "ta-ta" was...It'd be simple...I'd tell him straight out what they were...maybe even throw in that the shirt was telling all ladies to take care of themselves to keep from getting very sick. 99% of the time that would end the discussion right there.

I think it's absolutely fantastic that they've found a campaign that even teens can relate too.

indytraveler
05-23-2008, 10:21 AM
I first saw this shirt on my 7 yr. old cousin last summer. We were visiting my wife's parents and she was outside playing with my 3 kids. (DD13, DD11, DS7). My DD11, who is the most naive of the 3, comes in with tears in her eyes, also the most sensitive. She just found out what the shirt meant. You see my wife's cousin of 45 had died of cancer the previous year and my 7 yr. old cousin was making a statement about breast cancer or any cancer awareness. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

If someone would've asked this girl standing in line for the 25 min. she may have explained that either she or a close friend lost a mother, grandmother, aunt, sister, whomever to breast cancer. Now who would be offended?

Rhetoric2000
05-23-2008, 11:14 AM
I really have never understood why breasts are meant to be "rude".

6YearOld - Mummy what are ta-tas?

Mummy - Well, sweetheart, they're a sillyish word for breasts.

I mean....what?.....Am I missing something here?

Although I personally have never heard the phrase ta-tas before. Not a British phrase. Maybe it could be, though. I try it and see what happens the next time they come up in conversation.

Mickey'sGirl
05-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Although I personally have never heard the phrase ta-tas before. Not a British phrase. Maybe it could be, though. I try it and see what happens the next time they come up in conversation.

It is often prefaced with "bodacious".... as in "Wow! What bodacious ta-tas!" ... :D

WDWFanatic
05-23-2008, 11:42 AM
As someone who is getting ready to undergo breast cancer surgery and treatment (I'm stage 0 so my outcome is great!) I do not find the shirt offensive at all. My guess (like most of you) is that she has personal experience with this awful disease.

I just may get one and wear it to WDW to celebrate when I am on the other side of this inconvenience!:thumbsup:

smartinez1
05-23-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought the shirt was a cute way to promote breast cancer awareness! I mean really, BC has become such a part of our society, who hasn't seen the commercials on tv promoting all the walks, runs, etc.. I just thought for her to go on and on when most kids probably wouldn't know what it means and probably most aren't really paying attention to those things while in Disney anyway, was a bit ridiculous. BC awareness has come a long way, but still not long enough, and if turning it to slang to get the younger generation involved and aware, then I am all for it. The biggest hope for survival is early detection, and yet people still aren't doing it, so if this helps one woman or man (yes men can get BC too) go home and do a self exam, then I am all for it!!! I mean I was only 17 when my mom passed. She missed seeing me go off to my prom, my HS graduation, my wedding, and she will never get to see any of her grandchildren. If this "offensive" shirt will help one woman so she doesn't have to miss out on seeing her kids grow up, then I am all for it! Thanks for the support!

FriendsofMickey
05-23-2008, 12:04 PM
This one is hard for me. Because I do not find the shirt offensive. I have no problem explaining the shirt ot my 5 year old daughters. I also agree, that it gets peoples attention.

However, I do agree with Ian in that, our country has gotten so 'okay' with 'sexifying our children' (I know that is not a word, but I am sure you get what I mean.). I assume the Ta Ta wording was right on the Breasts. Just as when I see all those young kids running around with words like "cutie" or "hot stuff" on their behinds, I think it is tasteless.

smartinez1
05-23-2008, 12:05 PM
As someone who is getting ready to undergo breast cancer surgery and treatment (I'm stage 0 so my outcome is great!) I do not find the shirt offensive at all. My guess (like most of you) is that she has personal experience with this awful disease.

I just may get one and wear it to WDW to celebrate when I am on the other side of this inconvenience!:thumbsup:

I just wanted to say good luck to you with your surgery and treatment! Thank goodness it was caught early, and your right, I have done so much research, your outcome is fantastic!! My thoughts and prayers are with you, and I too might go get one of these shirts too, now!!

MNNHFLTX
05-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Just as when I see all those young kids running around with words like "cutie" or "hot stuff" on their behinds, I think it is tasteless.I have to agree with you there. However, I think a t-shirt promoting breast cancer awareness is not quite on that level. Besides, if it was like the t-shirts that I have seen, the wording is pretty straight-on and not strategically positioned.

SurferStitch
05-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I don't have a problem with the shirt at all. It sounds kind of cute. I haven't seen one yet.

Would I wear it? - No. It's just not my thing to wear a shirt like that, but more power to those who will! It's for a great cause after all!

Does it belong in WDW? - Probably not, but I'm sure it's MUCH better than some of the sleazy things I've seen teens (and adults) wear in WDW. :ack:

I think ta-ta sounds much nicer and cuter than "breast" anyway! :thumbsup:

Some (like that woman in line) are offended by anything and everything....I think there are people who just love to complain.

PirateLover
05-23-2008, 01:33 PM
I don't find it offensive at all. Actually, the whole idea behind the phrasing is that laughter heals. A simple "Breast Cancer Awareness" shirt does not have the same effect/impact. I agree that on the whole our society is losing respect for one another but this is not an example of that in my opinion. And if a child asks.... why not just tell them the truth?

Cookie123
05-23-2008, 02:35 PM
First off - I would never in a million years made a big fuss over it.

Did I find it offensive ? No, Not really.

However , I do find it tasteless, and
disrespectful to breasts, women in general, and also disrespectful to breast cancer victims.

Surely ..... they could have found a better way to get that message out without making light of a very serious thing.

This is akin to my friend losing her breasts, and someone making a joke about her finally getting her wish to lose weight.

It is too serious a subject to be making a cute little joke about.

irish1967
05-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Personally, I have no problem with the shirt at all.

I would have much rather had a conversation with my children explaining the word "ta-ta" than "double masectomy" and why they couldn't give their favorite aunt a hug while she was recovering from her surgery.

PirateLover
05-24-2008, 12:00 AM
disrespectful to breasts, women in general, and also disrespectful to breast cancer victims.

Surely ..... they could have found a better way to get that message out without making light of a very serious thing.

This is akin to my friend losing her breasts, and someone making a joke about her finally getting her wish to lose weight.

I guess it's just how each individual person looks at it then. The point of the campaign is that breast cancer is SUCH a serious matter that you have to find a way to laugh to help you get through it.
From the website:
"For fun, for attention, spread the word, laughter heals.

Julia Fikse wants to save the ta-tas, including yours! Exposed to the effects of breast cancer at an early age when her grandmother lost both breasts to the disease, Fikse learned the value of accepting and loving oneself no matter your appearance.

After a second run-in with breast cancer in 2004 when another family member had a mastectomy and questioned her femininity, Fikse realized the importance of promoting self beauty and confidence in the hearts of women battling breast cancer. After 12 years as a fashion designer for brands like Levi's, Gymboree and Adidas, she dedicated herself to making a difference by launching the cheeky t-shirt line ta-tas."

Gator
05-24-2008, 06:14 AM
I'd say it was tasteless and out of place at WDW. If a guy walking around in boxer type shorts that said "Save the Stones" on it, people would be greatly offended. But that's because we haven't been desensitized about testicular cancer. And please, save all your Mick and Keith jokes.

Nascfan
05-24-2008, 09:56 AM
I think it's absolutely fantastic that they've found a campaign that even teens can relate too.

Bingo, in my opinion.

pook@wdw
05-24-2008, 05:30 PM
As a breast cancer survivor, I can't say that I personally find that, offensive. This young lady may have a survivor in her family, or may just be a supporter. Whatever the case, any way of bringing the cause to light is a good thing. Maybe some people are simply uncomfortable w/public displays of support for something that used to be suffered in silence. Frankly, I wish I could've saved mine !!

Ed
05-24-2008, 06:12 PM
See what that one shirt has done for breast cancer awareness right here on Intercot? Two pages of discussion and still growing. And in my mind, that's a good thing! :thumbsup:

While the shirt would never pass my mother's "Sunday-going-to-church" clothing criteria, she definitely would agree with the underlying message. But she can't approve nor disapprove. Because she died of breast cancer at the age of 61, thirty-two years ago, when breast cancer was something that simply was not discussed in public.

In my book, anything short of outright vulgarity that raises awareness and perhaps prompts one person to contribute to finding the cure is a positive thing.

And I hardly think this particular shirt comes even close to being vulgar. Cancer is vulgar. Are you doing your part to defeat it?

Learn more. (http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/?hct=googlePPC_Number1&gclid=CL2NovWTwJMCFRUdsgodlBS3Dg)

:(

crazypoohbear
05-26-2008, 08:36 PM
I'd say it was tasteless and out of place at WDW. If a guy walking around in boxer type shorts that said "Save the Stones" on it, people would be greatly offended. But that's because we haven't been desensitized about testicular cancer. And please, save all your Mick and Keith jokes.

Okay, you need to get over here and clean the diet coke off my computer screen! I hate the feeling of coke coming out of my nose!
But... I have a friend Dick who is a testticular survivor I think anything that gets the message out is good.
I dont' find either message offensive, They are both tongue in cheek and gets communication going.

I have been a participant in the relay for life for years and the only thing that I find offensive is people not being aware!

There are plenty of other words that they could have used that would have been offensive. Tata's is not one of them.

Why is "breast" any better or worst that "ta ta's"??

Mousefever
05-26-2008, 09:13 PM
However, I do agree with Ian in that, our country has gotten so 'okay' with 'sexifying our children' (I know that is not a word, but I am sure you get what I mean.). I assume the Ta Ta wording was right on the Breasts. Just as when I see all those young kids running around with words like "cutie" or "hot stuff" on their behinds, I think it is tasteless.

I don't think that "Save the ta-ta's" on a t-shirt sexualizes our children, or that it can be equated with "hot stuff" on a child's shorts, which I also find distressing. Raising awareness for breast cancer is not the same as treating our children as if they were grown-ups, by letting them wear provocative clothing. Just as seeing part of a nursing mother's breast is not the same as oogling a woman at Hooters.

I don't believe that the message cheapens our society, but I do think that it would have bothered my modest and proper Great Aunt Mary, who died from the disease in 1994. However, she would have had the tact to simply ignore the shirt and go on her way. I personally don't have a problem with the shirt.

Amy

:dory:

LauraleeH
05-26-2008, 10:32 PM
I can see how some people with breast cancer could be offended. They might think that people are taking something serious as a joke, but...
My cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple years ago. She was under 30 years old. She ended up beating the cancer and she was the girl on the breast cancer awareness special episode of "Deal Or No Deal" and she has worn this shirt. She is very active on getting the word out and she finds this shirt as a good way to spread the word. She didn't find it offensive, so there's no reason why I should.

Rhetoric2000
05-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Actually I think "Save the Stones" is probably an even more needed message than the Ta-Tas.

Indeed I think the more potentially embarrassing the illness the more important it is to convince someone they need to see a doctor - my grandmother died from endometrial cancer having known there was something wrong with her for ages but not wanting to see anyone about it (This is decades ago and before I was born, BTW, not recently).

Incidentally Re: Ta-Tas in British slang: I haven't had the opportunity to bring it up in conversation yet since I was playing cricket all weekend and there were few in evidence. I shall keep you up to date.

IloveDisney71
05-27-2008, 03:51 PM

Very well said! :thumbsup: I've seen the bumper stickers and I just think they're tacky and insensitve. But I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

tyandskyesmom
05-27-2008, 05:00 PM

:ditto: :exactly: 100%

I am finding myself agreeing here.

While I am not offended by the shirt though, it is her choice of where to wear it. And it is not the message that is inappropriate for the setting but the wording.

Disney World is a place where families go to have a clean, fantasy type vacation. The word "ta-ta" is not clean or family orientated. If we came across this girl, I would have to stop to explain to my very impressionable 9 year old son (who loves to test his limits with his knowledge of new, funny sounding words) what ta-tas are. Disney World is not the place that I want to be having him testing new (inappropriate) word limits or having a discussion about breasts or cancer or having to discipline him. And I say "having to discipline" because the work ta-ta is not an anatomical word for breast and in fact, when/where/how I grew up it would have been just as bad as some of those other words used to describe a breast. I am 37, so it is not like I'm old-fashioned or anything...in fact, I have lead a pretty liberal life. I have breast fed both of my kids (Tyler for about a year and he was almost 6 when Skye came along so it was not some secret thing that caused us to go hide every few hours either). BUT, I do not want to have that conversation in the middle of my fantasy world. If/when it is time for the discussion about Breast Cancer, we will discuss it without using the word ta-ta.

I do not have a problem discussing a breast. I would expect shirts like that during my normal everyday wandering or an event geared more towards an adult audience but not at Disney World. The person wearing it probably took enough time planning what to bring with that she could have planned to not wear that shirt there.

It really does not have anything to do with who she knows or what she may have been through because the plain fact is, you don't know if that is what happened or if she was just contributing to the cause (I assume proceeds from the shirt went to the cause) and thought it was funny for the same reason some of us think she should not have worn it there. And I would have absolutely no problem with a shirt using the word breast.

Basically, I guess I am saying that I would not wear it. I would not like to have to disrupt my fantasy world to explain to and possibly discipline my children regarding the use of the word "ta-ta". I would be very upset to hear my child using that word to talk about a breast...whether it be for important talk or seeing what he could get away with. It was just the wrong venue to bring the word...not the message. If she had felt that strongly about Disney World being the correct venue for her public message she should have and could have chosen a better shirt to do it with (meaning "more appropriate for the setting).

I have seen people being asked to turn a shirt inside out because it is a beer advertisment. I have seen The Queen of Hearts refuse to take a picture with a guy because his t-shirt had a popular beer logo on it. To me, the word ta-tas is more offensive that the name of a beer that kids these days are all too used to!

Oh, and I do thing the lady going on about it for 25 minutes was a bit overboard too.

Oh ya, and the point about this thread here on Intercot bringing more awareness...while it has gotten me talking and thinking...it is not talking and thinking about the cause...it is talking and thinking about the shirt...it has done nothing to further my knowledge or interest in furthering my knowledge of the horrible issue that I do not already know.

DisneyWizard
05-27-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm really sorry, but this is a very sensitive subject with me and we really need to get the message out, to women and girls of all ages.

No, the message needs to get out to everyone - men and women. I have a male friend who has been diagnosed with breast cancer.

How is "ta-ta" tasteless? It's creative. It's certainly not eloquent, but not tasteless either.

Jeff G
05-27-2008, 06:49 PM
I read this post last week and refrained from posting but after chewing on this I wanted to share my :twocents:. Is using ta-ta's socially acceptable now? I am fairly conservative and from how I was raised ta-ta's isn't an acceptable phrase (along with many other slangs for breasts) nor would allow my kids to use it. If I heard one of my boys referring to breasts as ta-ta's I would tell them it's inappropriate.

I am friends with our schools principal and in a discussion I asked him what his stance would be toward this shirt. Without hesitation he said if a child wore this to his school they would be sent home to change and if a child used ta-ta's in his school they would be asked to refrain.

If the shirt isn't appropriate at school is it appropriate for WDW? My thoughts no.

Let me preface this, this is my opinion. I'm not attacking others for their opinion on this matter. I have family members who have passed away from cancer & to me awareness is very important. I give money to cancer fund raisers & research every chance I get. I guess I'm old fashioned and feel there are more tactful ways to get the message out there without pushing an envelope to get attention.

Bethis26fan
05-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Intreasting topic. I myself wouldn't have found it offensive being a 28 year old woman, but listen to some of the guys and parents I could see how it would be.

laughingplace<3
05-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Why is "ta-ta" a "no-no" anyway??
Don't little kids have names like that for lots of different body parts? I surely didn't expect my kids to use the proper anatomical terms when they were younger.

I agree. Think about if the shirt said the other word for ta-ta's (not the t word, the little less vulgar b word, not breasts...). Then it would not be okay. Whoever made the shirt obviously thought of a more friendly, personal name for them that would reach a larger audience. The word ta-ta is not offensive to me and probably was derived from having a word for the body part available for children.

However, I see how people might see it as offensive. Then again, the time comes for children to ask about what words mean, and would you rather have them ask when it is used vulgarly, or used in a beneficial way?

ElenitaB
05-27-2008, 08:06 PM

Thanks to t-shirts like this and the ones before them which were considered daring in their time to even use the word "breast," many advances have been made in awareness, research, diagnosis and treatment. As a result of the women who went before you and the risks they took, and the awareness they raised, you now have a FANTASTIC prognosis. Good luck with your surgery, and please send me a PM to let me know how you're doing.

However , I do find it tasteless, and disrespectful to breasts, women in general, and also disrespectful to breast cancer victims.

I must respectfully disagree. There's nothing I like more when getting chemo than a little giggle. Even though some of us might have cancer, we also have a sense of humor. (I do agree that the "little joke" made to your friend was incredibly insensitive and inappropriate, but that's because sometimes people just really don't know what to say.)

And I hardly think this particular shirt comes even close to being vulgar. Cancer is vulgar. Are you doing your part to defeat it?
Ed, you just made me cry (happy, strong tears). Thank you for your battle words!

PirateLover
05-27-2008, 09:42 PM
If I heard one of my boys us "look at those ta-ta's" I would tell them it's inappropriate.
It's the context. If one of your boys said "Look at those breasts!" would that be any more appropriate?

If the shirt isn't appropriate at school is it appropriate for WDW? My thoughts no.
It may not have been appropriate at that school, but in other schools it might be allowed. I taught at a school once where the students had a very strict dress code and one that was very liberal. I couldn't believe some of the things they were allowed to wear, I'm sure this would be OK there.

Normally I lean conservative on clothing in WDW (I was very disgusted by a shirt I saw last time around. Can't remember the exact phrasing but it was about being drunk and had the not so nice word for "butt" on it). However with this I just look at it a little differently. I guess I could understand how some can't though... BTW I wouldn't mind a"Save the Stones" campaign as well...my dad is a survivor of testicular cancer.

Jeff G
05-27-2008, 09:56 PM
It's the context. If one of your boys said "Look at those breasts!" would that be any more appropriate?

I was just about to change that because I agree, this phrasing isn't any more appropriate.

It may not have been appropriate at that school, but in other schools it might be allowed. I taught at a school once where the students had a very strict dress code and one that was very liberal. I couldn't believe some of the things they were allowed to wear, I'm sure this would be OK there.

I understand some schools are more liberal than others. This is one of those subjects where there are two sides of the fence. I'm not offended but I do find the shirt inappropriate at WDW and can understand why individauls may take offense.

Patti_C
05-27-2008, 10:04 PM
I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I have a shirt that has a baseball diamond on it and it says "save second base" A friend of mine had breast cancer and bone cancer and they had a benefit for her and i bought a shirt. I only wear it at home, because i don't feel comfortable wearing it in public. my opinion is that we do need to be aware and so do our young teenage girls.

Gooftroop5
05-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Well this woman was utterly insulted by this shirt and wouldn't stop talking about it to her husband for the 25 or so minutes that we stood in line.

Ok, now I do understand what it means, but seriously, if she was worried about younger kids, would most young kids even know what that means? I mean I don't think it's really a well known slang, but I would think young kids wouldn't really get it. Am I wrong?

Did the lady know what ta-tas meant or did she have to have it explained for her?

I haven't heard the word "ta-ta" used in forever. I am surprised most people would know what it means at any age. My mil wouldn't have known. Would my children know what it meant NO. If my dd 9yo asked (my boys are too young to read) I would just explain it to her it just being a slang word for breasts and the message she was trying to convey.

We have just had 2 people very close to us die within the last 9 months of breast cancer complications. Both ladies would've chuckled when they saw it. They were both very old school.

At least it covered her "ta-tas". I think its offensive to see them hanging out. Yet I wouldn't go on for 25 minutes plus (I am sure it didn't stop after you were away from this woman) about it. If it wasn't this she would've found something else to complain about the whole time she was standing there. More than likely it would've been standing in line 25 minutes.

Disney Doll
05-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I think the word ta-tas is fine if it is used in the appropriate context and I would not think twice about seeing this shirt at WDW. The word ta-tas is not something I've heard much. Maybe it's a regional thing? I guess I never knew it was considered a "bad" word by some.

tmosier
05-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Offensive? I wouldn't say that. Something I would wear or would let my daughters wear? No way! And I wouldn't let my son, if I had one, wear a testicular cancer awareness t-shirt reading "Save the Nads" either.

I have to wonder how many young women who wear such a shirt do so because they truly want to promote breast cancer research vs. doing so for the shock value or for the male attention that such a shirt brings.

mrsgaribaldi
05-29-2008, 08:45 AM
I don't find it offensive. Look how much it made people "talk" just here at Intercot. :thumbsup:

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-29-2008, 01:14 PM
I received a kidney transplant from a friend 2 years ago and my sister from a cadaver 1 year ago so I carry a "Donate Life" backpack and wear a green National Kidney Foundation bracelet when I'm in Disney. I'm all for people supporting and promote any health cause. If it causes people to talk and do something to make a difference that could save a life....why not. I think it is great to see a teenager who has a cause to support. Think of all of the other t-shirts she could have been wearing.

tinkerbellybutton
05-31-2008, 12:06 PM
OK, I don't know how I missed this post before but since I saw it I wanted to put my two cents in. What makes "ta-tas" a worse word than say bum-bum? I know a lot of children that use that word and it's a much more tasteful name for their bottom than others that I have heard. I have seen the shirts at a fund raising carwash and I think they are great. Although I did have a harder time explaining to DS11 why there were big black hand prints on the "ta-tas" of the other t-shirt girls were wearing at the carwash, :blush: the word itself was a piece of cake. (BTW DS now knows how to do a breast exam);)

SallyfromDE
05-31-2008, 12:18 PM

Actually Ian, it could be the end of world. Breast Cancer does kill both men and women. As for the offended woman, she would have found the use of Breast just as offensive. I work in retail and the "older" crowd gets offended by a mannquin sitting the wrong way.

How do we know the young lady wearing the shirt didn't lose a mother, aunt of Grandmother to the disease? I think the shirt is a nice change to the same ole', same ole'.

SallyfromDE
05-31-2008, 12:36 PM

I asked my Mother and Sister, both breast cancer survivors, what they thought. None of us had seen this shirt. They both asked where they could get one. I guess they didn't feel it disrespectful to themselves.

If it's a young child, they just want a simple explainance, so you give them something simple. It's another word for Boobie. If they are a little older, a little more information, another word for a disease that can hurt people. Or maybe a simple "I don't know" would work.

crazypoohbear
05-31-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm sitting here thinking about Ta Ta's Vs. Breast and I think I have figured it out.
Years ago more people were dying of breast cancer because it was not considered "polite" conversation. Now there is much more breast cancer awareness because at some point years ago someone decided to use the word "breast" and bring it to the forefront. Now no one cringes at the word, it is not whispered any longer.
Does anyone remember when cancer was whispered and not discussed.
Now people are talking, whether it's breast, boob, ta ta, 2nd base or mammary gland it is getting attention, saving lives and helping woman/mankind.

So spread the word whatever word you choose. Just keep talking! It is saving lives!

SteveL
06-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I must respectfully disagree. There's nothing I like more when getting chemo than a little giggle. Even though some of us might have cancer, we also have a sense of humor.

Ed, you just made me cry (happy, strong tears). Thank you for your battle words!

This weekend we just had the ACS Relay for Life, and I'm proud to say that our team has raised approximately $40K over the last five years.

We have several breast cancer and colon cancer survivors on our team. Because their sense of humor survived all of the surguries, radiation and chemo treatments they picked the name for the team.... T & A Team.

So far only one person has objected to the name and numerous other survivors have chuckled and made positive comments.

Cancer isn't just vulgar, it's obscene.

ElenitaB
06-01-2008, 09:55 PM
We have several breast cancer and colon cancer survivors on our team. Because their sense of humor survived all of the surguries, radiation and chemo treatments they picked the name for the team.... T & A Team.
:rotfl: See A Chorus Line a few too many times?

LaurenNJ
06-11-2008, 05:29 PM
[When you're in the trenches, a little humor never hurts.

I've seen far tackier t-shirts around (even at WDW); at least this one was for a good cause.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Boojum
06-11-2008, 05:41 PM
If that's the worst shirt I ever see, I'll be in good shape. (Actually, it's too late--have already seen worse, including in WDW)

Plus, if I had to guess, I'd be willing to bet that the woman who was doing all the complaining was probably an "inveterate complainer." If it hadn't been the shirt, it would have been something else.

drummerboy
06-11-2008, 06:37 PM
I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I have a shirt that has a baseball diamond on it and it says "save second base" A friend of mine had breast cancer and bone cancer and they had a benefit for her and i bought a shirt. I only wear it at home, because i don't feel comfortable wearing it in public. my opinion is that we do need to be aware and so do our young teenage girls.
Had to think about that one a bit. I didn't know people were even using that term any more.

crazypoohbear
06-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Just occurred to me...
Do you think that Tigger was a proponent for breast cancer awareness when he uttered the phrase...... ready......:)

ta ta for now??!!! :D :D

garymacd
06-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Well, it got some people talking.

My beloved wife lost her mother to breast cancer 15 years ago. I watched not only her die, but also a part of my wife.

Humour certainly helps and the more people talk about it, the higher the awareness will be.

Ladies, please! Perform your monthly exams, and if your doctor says it's time for a mammogram, get it done! While you're at it, get that other test done annually, too. My best friend lost his wife to ovarian cancer at the age of 37. She wouldn't go to the doctor, and when she did, she didn't listen to him and it was already too late.

Guys: do YOUR self exam monthly, too!