PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness

E-beth76
05-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi Everyone! Ive learned SO much and my husband has been able to plan an amazing upcoming trip! We are going to be in the cabin for 10 DAYS so being comfortable is going to be VERY important. So, Heres my question to everyone who has stayed in the cabins, what do you wish you had packed? Big popcorn bowls? Corkscrew? Your own pillow? Room Spray? Ive learned so much on this site that I all ready bought a fabric hanging closet organizer for the back bedroom where our 4 teenage sons will be, a portable DVD player for the back bedroom, night lights. I MAY be in the cabin quite a bit im in a wheelchair for this trip, but kids will still have fun running around with my husband. Leaving in 9 DAYS!!! First trip to DIsney for two of the boys!!! :mickey:

Thank you all in advance!
Elizabeth

sara114
05-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Are you driving or flying? This would alter what I would suggest. I have stayed 2 times at the cabins.
If you have room for a collapse type laundry container, I would suggest that. Being there 10 days you will want to do laundry. The facilities are nice,but needed something to carry the clothes in. It would also make the room stay neater.
I don't remember what was in the kitchen as far as utensils, but I think I needed a pizza pan and pizza cutter.
Are you planning on stopping for groceries or using the grocery at Fort Wilderness?
I leave on the 27th for my next trip, but will post before that if I think of anything that sticks out.

Janmac
05-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Perhaps a fan and an extension cord. I'm thinking if you're relaxing at the cabin while your family runs around the World, you may want to hang out on the deck some.

There is a receptacle on the deck but an extension cord would make it handier to have the fan on you for a breeze to either cool you and/or keep the bugs away.

We did not notice many mosquitos but there were a few flies. So maybe you want a fly swatter too! :D

And if you're likely to hang out on the deck, maybe a pair of binoculars to look at the birds in the campground.

You may want to bring a tablecloth and table cloth holders for the outside picnic table.

We stayed at the Wilderness Home in December and brought outdoor and indoor Christmas lights and decorations, even a small Christmas tree.

With that in mind you might want to bring a couple of light strings - maybe Disney themed - to decorate your deck railing. Maybe some of those tiki light, bug repellent things.

Enjoy!

Jan

SFTrny
05-23-2008, 10:58 AM
We always stay at Ft. Wildernes, but we fly in...so we don't have the oppty to bring a lot of big stuff. Extra pillows etc, are not an option with the week's worth of luggage. Our challenges focus around the kitchen and cooking. We don't want to buy full size bottles of condiments, spices and other kitchen items that we need for cooking...just for a few meals. So...we've saved a number of short spice jars and bottles that we fill with the spices that we will want, and we can pack our "spice kit" in the luggage without taking up too much space. You can also get individual size condiments at World Market stores or online at minimus dot biz.

wdwfansince75
05-23-2008, 11:25 AM
While our visits were a long time ago, here are a few suggestions.....

Suggest a car.....easier to run errands, and best transportation (with wheelchair) to AKL, DHS, and EPCOT.

With wheelchair, be sure you have handicapped sticker for parking, even if you are renting...also helps with parking.
With w/c, internal buses can be slow....ask for cabins closest to Pioneer Hall....can use chair or walk to dock for boat to MK.

Bring your own favorite coffee...theirs is....uh.....there.

Bring your own detergent and some softener....water is on hard side....Washer and dryer at Comfort Stations.

Stop for groceries....selections at Campgrounds are limited and expensive....stock up on water and drinks.

If you are driving, consider whether you have room for extra towels...for that large a group, you can never have enough.....do not bring additional white towels....you can never sort them out....

For 10 days, consider at least some breakfasts and other meals at cabin, inluding a cookout or so...plan a side trip to Publix or Walmart for groceries and necessities after checking in....gives you a chance to pick up what you (or other family members) forgot.

And finally....Have a magical vacation!

Gee Wally
05-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Hi Everyone! Ive learned SO much and my husband has been able to plan an amazing upcoming trip! We are going to be in the cabin for 10 DAYS so being comfortable is going to be VERY important. So, Heres my question to everyone who has stayed in the cabins, what do you wish you had packed? :mickey:

Thank you all in advance!
Elizabeth

Here's a link to what is already in each cabin, it may help with decisions:

http://allears.net/acc/faq_fw.htm

Our family of 5 enjoyed staying in the cabins. Real quiet after busy days. The pools although not themed were spacious and fun.

I would suggest small flashlights. The type that fit on a keychain and into a pocket.Makes getting around easier at night.

have a great time !

EtteDMS
05-26-2008, 08:41 PM
You're going to love the cabins. Lots of ellow room, well-equipped kitchen, and loads of peace and quiet. Also, they're ready for a crowd, and the bathroom comes loaded with large, fluffly towels which are restocked daily. No need to bring your own. That's a huge plus to our family of five. I've never had to ask for extras like we do at a hotel. If you like coffee, do bring filters; I believe they have one for your first pot but that's it (note that the eight-cup pot is stored in the kitchen closet. One time we didn't find that till a couple of days into the trip. A hotel-sized one sits out.) You'll also need charcoal and matches if you plan to use the outdoor grill - another great plus since, sometimes we like to close the parks so to speak, and we could come back and have hotdogs at midnight on the grill. That's about it. Have a wonderful time.