PDA

View Full Version : Job frustration...just need to vent

Dopey's Girl
05-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Let me start this vent by saying that in this day and economic age I'm happy just to have a job. Having said that I need to vent, and I can't talk to work people about it, so I have to share with you all.

I have been at my current company for 6 years, and for every one of those 6 years I have worked really hard, consistently get above average performance reviews, and praise from my supervisors. Yet for some reason, I constantly get passed over for promotions, and I'm getting pretty frustrated. For the last 2 years, I have been taking on more and more responsibilities, and continue to garner praise. Yet today I found out that, yet again, someone was promoted above me. I like this person a lot, and am happy for them, they totally deserve the promo, but it's so frustrating. They keep telling me, 6 months, just 6 more months (keep in mind they have been saying this for over a year!). Keep doing what you are doing, you are great!

It makes me crazy. If I'm doing so great, why can't you promote me?! :mad:

Thanks for listening...Is it October yet? I need a dose of the Main Mouse!

Kairi_7378
05-22-2008, 11:10 AM
It's okay to vent about your job, no matter what the economic situation is!

I'm not sure what industry you work in, but have you started looking around for other jobs? I went through this at my last company for a few years and I kept telling myself, "It will get better, it will get better..." and it never did. Even with the times being what they are there are opportunities available, and it does not hurt to look. I know it can be very hard to look around when you are with a company for so long (I was with my last employer for 8 years) and you are very comfortable. However, if you aren't with a small family run company, you really don't mean the same thing to them as they mean to you. In some ways, if you continue to work well for them, and they don't promote you, they are saving money.

I realize that this may sound very harsh, and I am sorry if I come across that way. However, it sounds like this is a good point to step back and think "Is this really the right place for me to be right now?" If it is, then take a deep breath... and think about how in a few months, you'll be eating a Dole Whip in the happiest place on earth.

Ian
05-22-2008, 01:07 PM
I assume you're looking for honest feedback on this, so here goes ...

I'm a manager with hiring/firing responsibilities and also responsibilities for identifying folks with potential for advancement.

I have many people working for me that are very good at what they do currently, get high marks on performance appraisals, and are key members of my team. But they'll never get promoted, because they don't have the skills sets necessary to take the step to the next level.

I don't really know your exact situation, but most often promotions entail positions with leadership responsibility. They frequently require an ability to move beyond just being able to execute at the tactical level and into a strategic decision making role.

Maybe there are doubts among your leadership team that you possess those skills.

No knock on you, of course, and nothing but a random guess since I have no more information. But based just on what you've said here, that's my best thought on what's happening. The facts mirror situations that I've been a part of in my career.

Gooftroop5
05-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Sorry to hear about the being passed over. I would go and talk to your boss & ask them what you can do to make yourself more marketable. Is there a class on line or through the company that can help you get a head.

Dh went through this. They give him small raises but any major promotion he was passed over part of it is the manager & they wanted their friend to get the job. I told dh that he had to go talk to his immediate boss & see what he could do to make hime self more promotable. If the person that is waiting to take over the manager job (which could be soon) was in charge he would've had the job. Especially since the one that he would be replacing was already training dh to do the job (it wasn't enough that dh did this guy's job while he was on vacation for a month). Right now dh is back up for another promotion/job change. The person that would be his immediate supervisor is doing everything they can to help dh prove to the department manager that he is the right person. Everyone in his department has been helping him. He has just recently finished a management training pogram. Dh also is helping on a project in his free time to learn some new skills. This is a very high profile project.

It is more than just being asked to take on more & more work. You need to sell yourself . Dh still has a hard time but he is coming around. You need to show that you are the right person. Unfortunately doing all the work isn't enough. It doesn't mean that you slack off because you are pouting it means you need to talk to people. Not complain but as I said before ask them what you need to do. Even if its to take classes at a local community college in management. It will look good on your records & resume.

Good luck.

meldan98
05-22-2008, 01:58 PM
I went through this at my former company. Honestly now, I can say, I think it was several things. One was because I was female of child bearing age and two was because I didn't kiss the rear end of my many bosses that came and went. I was there 7 years and received zero premotions. I even at one time received the "Presidents" award for all of my hard work and efforts on the job. WHAT A JOKE!!! One time when I was sure that I was going to get a promotion, my boss actually made stuff up on my review to ensure that I wouldn't get promoted. Since I would be going on maternity leave shortly after I would have gotten promoted, and she didn't want to have to deal with it, she made stuff up. Can I prove in court no, but trust me I refused the sign the review and wrote a letter for my file protesting my review. Of course I got the presidents award after I returned from maternity leave and had worked my tail off. All the while the idiots and morons around me got promoted and came and went. When I finally smartened up and saw the writing on the wall that the office in our town was doomed for closure, I quit. My husband stuck it out though and put up with all their stuff. A nice severance package later, we bought a nice new home and I now have a job I like.

Dopey's Girl
05-22-2008, 02:04 PM
I assume you're looking for honest feedback on this, so here goes ...

I'm a manager with hiring/firing responsibilities and also responsibilities for identifying folks with potential for advancement.

I have many people working for me that are very good at what they do currently, get high marks on performance appraisals, and are key members of my team. But they'll never get promoted, because they don't have the skills sets necessary to take the step to the next level.

I don't really know your exact situation, but most often promotions entail positions with leadership responsibility. They frequently require an ability to move beyond just being able to execute at the tactical level and into a strategic decision making role.

Maybe there are doubts among your leadership team that you possess those skills.

No knock on you, of course, and nothing but a random guess since I have no more information. But based just on what you've said here, that's my best thought on what's happening. The facts mirror situations that I've been a part of in my career.

I appreciate the honesty!

My current job is a part of a family. I'm in the lower level, there is one step up within the position. I have been given the responsibilities of training new associates, updating and creating all the written documentation of the positions, given access to perform transactions that only the higher level associates have access to (I'm the only lower level person in the unit with the access), and I am also a resource for the other 22 people in my department (meaning when they have questions, or need help, they come to me!)

I have spent a lot of time over the past few years working on getting feedback from my immediate supervisors, and any and all other people who can help make this happen, and I get the same feedback. Just keep doing what you are doing...I have taken multiple T&D courses (any that the company offers that relate to my job or potential jobs) and done everything I can think of to help make this happen...Just frustrating.

Ian
05-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Meg, it definitely sounds like you're doing what you need to be doing to move up.

I don't think my original thought is as likely as I did before ... could it just be typical organizational politics?

Say what you want, but "kissing rear-ends" is an unfortunate requirement for moving up in most companies. One person's rear-end kissing is another's "networking", remember.

There is a ton that goes into getting promoted that really has very little to do with job performance. Are you doing the little extra things ... you'd be amazed at what going to a few company happy hours can do for your career.

Dopey's Girl
05-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Meg, it definitely sounds like you're doing what you need to be doing to move up.

I don't think my original thought is as likely as I did before ... could it just be typical organizational politics?

Say what you want, but "kissing rear-ends" is an unfortunate requirement for moving up in most companies. One person's rear-end kissing is another's "networking", remember.

There is a ton that goes into getting promoted that really has very little to do with job performance. Are you doing the little extra things ... you'd be amazed at what going to a few company happy hours can do for your career.

Bowling nights, organizing our unit fun events, baking for the group. All kinds of other fun stuff I don't like to do at work, but I know it's one of those things I have to do to work my way up...to no avail.

Guess I gotta "network" more...ugh...

I'm so glad I have tomorrow and Monday off!!!

Thanks for letting me vent! :rocks:

murphy1
05-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Meg, you sound like a great employee! I think it definitely gets political, that's what I've witnessed a lot. I would seriously want to talk to someone and get an answer on this one, since they keep telling you wait six months. I don't think that's being very fair to you. It sounds like they are dangling a carrot in front of you. I can bet if you were a guy, you would have gotten that promotion awhile back (I worked in the insurance business and this happened a lot). It also sounds like they are giving you all the responsibilities, but you should be rewarded, six years is quite awhile. I have also worked in a family owned engineering company, those can be even more tough to navigate. Good luck, and hang in there, either someone there will figure it out or an outsider will see what you have to offer, people don't look at job switching badly anymore. I was always sociable at work, but never did the buttkissing thing, it annoyed me a lot and we all joked about the people who were very blatant about it (not the stuff you are doing, that is good, I used to do that, but the schmoozy thing, yuck!)

Ian
05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Well ... I'm not quite ready to cry discrimination just yet ... we don't know the makeup of the folks promoted ahead of her. Were any of them minorities? Sometimes there's pressure to make promotions to help maintain diversity in the leadership ranks.

It also could be purely political. People promoting friends, others who have scratched the right backs, etc.

It seriously might be time to start looking for a new position in a new company. Once you've been passed over more than once, the odds are pretty slim that you'll be promoted in the future.

murphy1
05-22-2008, 03:35 PM
I just mean it's still a big thing that men make more $ or are promoted more than women, they look at your age and the baby thing a lot, just one of those unwritten code things that no one talks about I guess. I don't know if they are with you Meg, I just had it happen to me before. Oh, when I was interviewing for a Supervisory position at a company I was working for and an outside one, the outside company made an offer, the one I worked for said no, then when I gave my notice, they told me I could have the Super position! It's crazy out there.