PDA

View Full Version : Rude CM

pcoleman
05-21-2008, 08:54 PM
After much discussion, I finally called today to cancel ADR's for dining we did not want. The CM yelled at me for double booking days and then loudly complained about her coworkers while typing my info. By the way, they also had some of my ADR's wrong. Glad I called when I did. This is my first time using Disney dining and I was not expecting this reaction. Has anyone else experience this? I know I am not the only only one who double booked a night till family could decide.

LibertyTreeGal
05-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Double booking is NOT cool and I don't know of anyone here who advocates it or even condones it. ADR's fill up fast and families who book far in advance should not have to wait in line behind people who double book just because they don't know what they want. It is just wrong.

There is one guide book that talks about doing it but we pretty much slam it around here. It is a severely discourteous thing to do to fellow guests.

Polynesian Dweller
05-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Double booking is definitely not cool! It just prevents others from having the opportunity to get ADRs that they know they want. If Disney restaurants weren't so heavily booked it would be one thing but its so hard to get ADRs that double booking shouldn't be done and only causes problems for others.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
05-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Did you happen to give up any dinners at Ohanas for the week of Sept 20-26? I've been trying to get in for 2 months and no luck!

Speedy1998
05-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Your ADRs were most likely wrong becaused you double booked. I know at one time people were saying that Disney was canceling the first ADR you made when you tried to double book.

For the most part you will find a very cold reception here to people who double book.

Speedy1998
05-21-2008, 09:23 PM
There is one guide book that talks about doing it but we pretty much slam it around here. It is a severely discourteous thing to do to fellow guests.

I have also heard that many travel agent encourage the practice. But, I agree with you the practice is wrong.

Rella
05-21-2008, 10:15 PM
:mickey:While I agree that doublebooking isn't cool, I am sorry that you ran into a rude CM. I'm sure there was a better way to handle the phone call besides yelling at you and talking about co-workers. I've never had a problem with making my ADR's, so I'm sure it's just a matter of who picks up the phone and what kind of day they've had.

Glad you finalized your plans. It's a relief, isn't it?!

I believe
05-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Wow! Glancing over this thread, I am not sure if it is only the CM who was rude...:blush:
The OP did state this was his/her first time to use the dining plan. It sounds to me like an honest mistake. The castmember who took the original ressies should have told OP not to.
Perhaps we should all get back to the magic!:mickey:

TheDuckRocks
05-22-2008, 08:52 AM
I usually don't like to jump on anybody here on the boards but I really don't think the OP made a mistake. The ADR CMs will not allow you to make 2 reservations for the same general time period on the same day any more. The OP would have had to have made more than one phone call to Disney Dining reservations knowing that what they were doing was cheating the system.
That said for any travel book or agent or other website that suggests you do this is very wrong. It's hard enough to get the ADRs you really want without people being greedy and taking a place that they know that they won't need.
Sorry for my showing my anger on this subject but this is one of those things that just infuriates me.

Mousemates
05-22-2008, 10:24 AM
After much discussion, I finally called today to cancel ADR's for dining we did not want. The CM yelled at me for double booking days and then loudly complained about her coworkers while typing my info....This is my first time using Disney dining and I was not expecting this reaction.

While, as you can see from the repsonses, double booking is viewed as being a "not so nice thing to do," most of us have made mistakes :oops: in life where we didn't know we were oopsing. When you don't know better, well, you simply don't know better. So, no harsh chastisement for you from me.

However, as for the angry CM...that is uncalled for...now what would I have done in that instance...well, I suppose it would depend upon just how rude they were to me. If wasn't too bad I would most likely just chalk it up to "everyone has a bad day from time to time," but if the rudeness warranted it, a request to speak to a supervisor or a return call might be the best thing to do.

NJGIRL
05-22-2008, 10:42 AM
I agree that double booking is wrong and should not be done no matter what the excuse but I also think making an ADR without being sure that you will show up for it (something that I have seen encouraged on this board) is equally wrong.

pcoleman
05-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Wow, seems like i hit a nerve. I'm sorry, this was my first time with the system and was encouraged on another site to book. I did post what I had and several others were able to take my two double nights. As as side note. I usually post here to get information not to also be slammed by the feedback. Constructive feedback as always been welcome but I am done with this board if this is the way you treat people.

TheRustyScupper
05-23-2008, 08:10 AM
. . . The OP did state this was his/her first time to use the dining plan . . .

1) No excuse.
2) Rude is rude.
3) Inconsiderate is inconsiderate.
4) Whether 1st or 22nd time.
5) Double-booking is just wrong.
6) It prevents others from getting ressies.

EpcotChic23
05-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Wow!!!! I am against double booking too but it was a mistake. They claim it was there first time calling Disney Dinning. We have all made mistakes I also feel the operator for DD was wrong, what happend to good customer service. They could have said nicely we don't support double booking and please do not do it again. I know everyone has there own right for opinons on this matter.

Mickey'sGirl
05-23-2008, 08:57 AM
The CM should not have spoken to you the way he/she did. I would have asked to speak to his/her supervisor.

That said, double booking is so inconsiderate. Even if someone did not know that it is frowned upon, his/her conscience should have told him/her that he/she is not playing fair.

d_m_n_n
05-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Wow!!!! I am against double booking too but it was a mistake. They claim it was there first time calling Disney Dinning. We have all made mistakes I also feel the operator for DD was wrong, what happend to good customer service. They could have said nicely we don't support double booking and please do not do it again. I know everyone has there own right for opinons on this matter.

Exactly...c'mon guys...we're nicer than jumping on someone for making a mistake their first time! Regardless of your feelings, the CM still should not have been rude. We're here to help!!! Pcoleman, please don't take it personally. Sometimes there are certain topics that are touchy (don't even get us started on bringing back refillable mugs! :mad: ). But all in all we are usually very friendly and helpful.

And besides...at least the OP cancelled the ADR's they weren't going to use instead of leaving them in the system to be wasted!!! Someone was probably very happy to get the ADR at the restaurant of their choice because pcoleman cancelled theirs.

OK...opening myself up to be flamed...

Disney Doll
05-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Everyone makes mistakes. Double booking is not a good thing to do, but I'm willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. It is possible that OP just didn't think about the fact that they were taking a spot away from someone else. I know I have probably been guilty of doing something inconsiderate without realizing it.

The CM definitely could have handled the situation better. Instead of getting angry and raising their voice to you they should have explained the policy and the reasoning behind it. Sounds like the CM you got was not emulating the Disney spirit and you might consider speaking with a supervisor. It's never okay to yell at or complain about a guest. Don't write us off yet. Intercot is usually a pretty nice place to be, but everyone has their hot button issues and unfortunately you've stumbled onto one.

mook3y
05-23-2008, 11:24 AM
I can vouch that Disney's system does not automagically delete double bookings. Last year, we had several double bookings on our reservation at similar times.

:stop: Before some of you get all haughty... :drama:

It was because our whole group was not eating at the same restaurant on those nights and we took on the work of making all the dining reservations.

Simply pointing out that their system does allow for entries of double bookings. Maybe they can notate when groups are split some how? :confused:

biodtl
05-23-2008, 11:38 AM
As as side note. I usually post here to get information not to also be slammed by the feedback. Constructive feedback as always been welcome but I am done with this board if this is the way you treat people.

Please don't let this scare you away. There are a lot of sites out there and I have found that Intercot is the "nicest". In general, folks here are very helpful and supportive. I guess this is just one of those issues that gets people riled up.

I agree that double-booking can be a problem, but the fact is that if you don't know or WDW doesn't have some measures to prevent it, then you would never know that you are doing something that isn't universally accepted.

That said - regardless of the situation, a rude CM is unacceptable. Luckily, most CMs are great and hopefully you won't run into any more rude ones!

pcoleman
05-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Thank you. I really am sorry to everyone about this and now that I know I can help educate others. I have a co-worker who just asked me about making ADR's and I encouraged her to make them at the 180 mark and to decide what she wanted first. If she changed her mind she could always try to change them later too. Once again, I am soooo sorry :(

FriendsofMickey
05-23-2008, 12:31 PM
My opinion is that the CM should have not been rude to you! Neither should this board have been.

The nice way to do it would have been to say.....

"In the future, I think it is worthwhile to mention the double booking is not condoned. The restaurants are very, very busy and there are a lot of people who have to make other plans, because their restaurant of choice is all booked up. I am not certain, why the pervious CM overlooked this, but please consider this next time."

Now, had the CM said this, this would not have been even a discussion.

Sorry you were treated so poorly. You two extra bookings, is far from the worst thing you could have done in life.

Tinkermom
05-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Exactly...c'mon guys...we're nicer than jumping on someone for making a mistake their first time! Regardless of your feelings, the CM still should not have been rude. We're here to help!!! Pcoleman, please don't take it personally. Sometimes there are certain topics that are touchy (don't even get us started on bringing back refillable mugs! :mad: ). But all in all we are usually very friendly and helpful.

And besides...at least the OP cancelled the ADR's they weren't going to use instead of leaving them in the system to be wasted!!! Someone was probably very happy to get the ADR at the restaurant of their choice because pcoleman cancelled theirs.

OK...opening myself up to be flamed...

No flaming from me! I totally agree. For a moment there I thought I was on "another" board!

The OP said they got advice from another website to double book. If I was new to all of this I would not think a thing of it and assume it was accepted practice.

I am sorry pcoleman that so many jumped on you. I have had this happen to me on another board when I asked a simple question about how to dress my boys for dinner on a Disney cruise. Next thing I know I am being told how to raise my kids! Please know that this is not typical behavior for Intercotees.:mickey: I hope you stick around here! :pixie:

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-23-2008, 01:18 PM
:blush: Pcoleman, sorry you got the response you did, however, I will say as someone who has experienced the disappointment of being told that some restaurant you really wanted to eat at was booked for your entire stay that I kind of know where they are coming from.... however having said that, (1) Even when the customer is wrong that CMs behavior was unprofessional

mouseketeer mom
05-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Yikes. I've never seen this board so harsh. pcoleman, you did it, you learned, big deal! Give this new poster a break. We're all here to learn and to give and receive help. Wow.

diz_girl
05-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Pcoleman - I hope that you'll stick around. As another person wrote, you just stumbled upon a touchy issue. The moderators are very good on Intercot, so if a thread becomes harsh, they usually restore the peace pretty quickly.

Another touchy issue that you should be forewarned about (in addition to the aforementioned refillable mugs) is pool-hopping. It's another no-no. You used to be able to do it back in the olden days when the there was just the CR and the Poly that you would jump between, but that is now another no-no due to the sheer number and price-levels of resorts. So just don't go there.

Seasonscraps
05-23-2008, 03:10 PM
The CM should take a lesson on courtesy - yelling at a guest should not be acceptable.

While double booking is frowned upon, calling to cancel excess ADRs several months in advance doesn't seem to warrant the response you got here. First, there are guides & sites that suggest doing this. A first timer may not know all the protocol that goes with vacation planning. Second, there were CMs that initially permitted & executed the double booking. Third, there are people that don't ever cancel ADRs or make last minute switches in dining plans that deny people ADRs as well. It's the nature of the beast that is now Disney Dining.

I hope you stick around!

beksy
05-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Just wanted to add my apologies for the response you got. I know I am still really new at the whole Disney trip planning thing and Intercot is very helpful to me so I was surprised by the responses here. We all make mistakes and learn what is the correct way to handle ressies and other trip areas from these mistakes. I hope you stick around--I know that for me the site is invaluable and you usually just get the helpful, thoughtful, sympathetic feedback! You just hit a touchy subject but don't let it ruin your time with us! By the way, there was no excuse for the CM's behavior either!

Janmac
05-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Pcoleman, don't care to comment on either the ADRs or Intercotees, but . . .

I did want to say a big thank you to whomever it is in your family who serves our country. :thumbsup:

Jan

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-24-2008, 12:47 AM
How does Disney Dining know for sure that you are double booking? I have friends that live in FL and have invited them to join us for meals. So it would be possible for my sister and some of the party to have ressies at one place and me and my friends to have ressies for the same night at a different location. Would it be fair to assume that because my sis and I were staying in the same room we were double booking and to cancel one of the ADRs?
And by the same token, my sis had friends down there at the same time and they were meeting her and her sons for meals. Again, how would they know who was eating where, when?
But regardless, the CM should not have been so rude as to talk about the guest, especially when they could hear. I'm sure they must have a mute button that they could have used if they felt the need to vent.

Sunshine1010
05-24-2008, 01:18 AM
To the OP,

I am sorry you have been treated like this.

Sunshine1010

brertosh
05-24-2008, 05:30 AM
Ok now I really got to know, what's the deal with the refillable mugs?????

KineGirl
05-24-2008, 05:41 AM
Ok now I really got to know, what's the deal with the refillable mugs?????

uh oh :scared:

LOL.. Ive not been involved in any of those discussions but I think it stems from the fact that some ppl bring back their mug for more than one trip when its policy that the mug is for the same stay ONLY.

kathiep
05-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks to all my fellow Intercotees who stepped in to apologize to the OP. What a kind & considerate thing to do.

This kind of behavior helped remind me why I choose this board over "another".

big blue and hairy
05-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Rudeness is not necessary from a cast memeber, and it's not necessary here. Have you never done anything wrong? The op corrected her mistake and she took flak for it twice! Apologies are in order.

:sulley:

brertosh
05-25-2008, 05:52 AM
uh oh :scared:

LOL.. Ive not been involved in any of those discussions but I think it stems from the fact that some ppl bring back their mug for more than one trip when its policy that the mug is for the same stay ONLY.

Oh ok so you are supposed to buy a new mug everytime right? That makes sense to me. Some ppl just don't get it.

Polynesian Dweller
05-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Wow, seems like i hit a nerve. I'm sorry, this was my first time with the system and was encouraged on another site to book. I did post what I had and several others were able to take my two double nights. As as side note. I usually post here to get information not to also be slammed by the feedback. Constructive feedback as always been welcome but I am done with this board if this is the way you treat people.

I think you are taking some of this a little strongly. If you read my post again, it is actually constructive feedback about double booking.

I don't comment on CM rudeness often because I'm not a party to that conversation and only have one side of it to judge from. That's not enough info for me to judge properly because people can misperceive what's being said quite easily, Just look how easy that is to do in a forum like this. Emotional, tone, facial expression for example are all missing. So I choose to not judge either the CM or the Intercotee on these things.

If you feel that CM was rude then by all means write to Disney about it. At the same time, people on Intercot have commented on double booking and you can use that as constructive advice about how to use the system.

I hope you stay around because most of us comment to help each other.

DisneyDudet
05-25-2008, 04:13 PM
I am disappointed in some intercotees on this thread. Everyone was very quick to make the OP feel badly. I think that was wrong, and just as wrong as the CM for being rude.

While I do not condone double booking, if the OP in fact TRUELY double booked, the first ADR would be cancelled. Many people who have tried to double book, using multiple calls, come to find out that they only have their last selection, not two to choose from.

Regardless of how it was done, I'm glad you cancelled the ADRs you did not want. You weren't holding onto them until the day of, or never cancelling at all. You did the right thing and cancelled.

I am so sorry that the CM was rude to you. If you caught their name, I would send an email to Disney about your experience. It put a sour taste in your mouth, even before you got to taste Disney food. If Disney doesn't know this problem is going on, they cannot fix it. Even if you don't have a name, sending them an FYI might do a little good. I hope you don't think about him/her while you are eating. It is so sad that you had to be treated that way, and then to not have the back up of others on these boards to support you.

pcoleman, people make mistakes. I have. I've gotten flamed and told I was wrong in a very rude and bitter way, which made me distant from these boards for a while. I think there's a way to tactfully correct someone. There's a lesson for a lot of people here, not just about making too many ADRs.

Please do come back. Not all of us are quick to judge. I wasn't going to post really, but the negativity of this thread really upset me. You have a lot to contribute to these boards, just like any of us. We'd love your knowledge and your questions.

Oh, and by the way, have a GREAT time! When in Sept are you going? We'll be at POP too, 11-15!

big blue and hairy
05-25-2008, 05:22 PM
I am disappointed in some intercotees on this thread. Everyone was very quick to make the OP feel badly. I think that was wrong, and just as wrong as the CM for being rude.

While I do not condone double booking, if the OP in fact TRUELY double booked, the first ADR would be cancelled. Many people who have tried to double book, using multiple calls, come to find out that they only have their last selection, not two to choose from.

Regardless of how it was done, I'm glad you cancelled the ADRs you did not want. You weren't holding onto them until the day of, or never cancelling at all. You did the right thing and cancelled.

I am so sorry that the CM was rude to you. If you caught their name, I would send an email to Disney about your experience. It put a sour taste in your mouth, even before you got to taste Disney food. If Disney doesn't know this problem is going on, they cannot fix it. Even if you don't have a name, sending them an FYI might do a little good. I hope you don't think about him/her while you are eating. It is so sad that you had to be treated that way, and then to not have the back up of others on these boards to support you.

pcoleman, people make mistakes. I have. I've gotten flamed and told I was wrong in a very rude and bitter way, which made me distant from these boards for a while. I think there's a way to tactfully correct someone. There's a lesson for a lot of people here, not just about making too many ADRs.

Please do come back. Not all of us are quick to judge. I wasn't going to post really, but the negativity of this thread really upset me. You have a lot to contribute to these boards, just like any of us. We'd love your knowledge and your questions.

Oh, and by the way, have a GREAT time! When in Sept are you going? We'll be at POP too, 11-15!

Well said, except not everyone jumped down her throat ;). This a hot button issue with a lot of people here, and while I can understand the frustration, it's not a reason to be rude.

wdwfan
05-25-2008, 05:37 PM
I agree with you that double booking is wrong, but, since Disney will not release Nov. hrs. I do have one day, that I have two reservations. As soon as they release hrs. I will cancel one. If it wasn't for celebrating our 20th ann. that day, I wouldn't care about the ADR. I know lots of people that have double ADR's just because of Nov. hours. So once they release, there should be lots of available times showing up.

DisneyDudet
05-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Well said, except not everyone jumped down her throat ;). This a hot button issue with a lot of people here, and while I can understand the frustration, it's not a reason to be rude.

I'm sorry I insinuated that everyone acted the same. There were some positive posters in there :D;)

pcoleman
05-25-2008, 09:07 PM
We will be at POP 15-20 in September. I am looking forward to it since it is my first time staying at Disney owned property and with dining. For the other poster, it is my husband who is on active duty with the Air Force. I have another question but I'm almost afraid to ask. It has to do with MNSSHP so I will place it on appropriate thread.

Polynesian Dweller
05-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Definitely not me even though I was an early poster. Pointing out the problems with double booking and suggesting that its not a good thing a Disney is and was intended as information for the person, not jumping on them. Covering everyone in one blanket statement isn't good either. My statements were intended to help them understand the problems with double booking specifically at Disney.

I don't judge either CMs or Intercotees on these boards because it is impossible to know exactly how a person intends a message to be perceived. Simple words without facial expressions and emotional context are diffcult to interpret accurately.

To the OP: do not take my statement about double booking at Disney as criticism, it is not, it is a statement of the issues with double booking within the Disney context. I realize you are new and wouldn't necessarily know how diffcult the Disney Dining Plan has made it to get into restaurants and I hoped to give you some idea of that. The DDP has made things a bit odd because double booking is OK in most places which aren't as packed. So its understandable to do it when one is unaware of the Disney restaurant situation.

And again, if the CM was rude, and that is up to you to judge (you were the only one of us in the conversation and really know), then they shouldn't have been and by all means complain to Disney.

Have a great time at Disney and do participate in the boards. My experience is that people make statements on Interecot is to help people understand how things are at Disney not to hurt them.:mickey:

DisneyDudet
05-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Definitely not me even though I was an early poster. Pointing out the problems with double booking and suggesting that its not a good thing a Disney is and was intended as information for the person, not jumping on them. Covering everyone in one blanket statement isn't good either. My statements were intended to help them understand the problems with double booking specifically at Disney.

I don't judge either CMs or Intercotees on these boards because it is impossible to know exactly how a person intends a message to be perceived. Simple words without facial expressions and emotional context are diffcult to interpret accurately.

I corrected myself in a previous post. I didn't mean to use the term "everyone" but I did.

I'm sorry I insinuated that everyone acted the same. There were some positive posters in there :D;)

DisneyDudet
05-25-2008, 09:54 PM
We will be at POP 15-20 in September. I am looking forward to it since it is my first time staying at Disney owned property and with dining. For the other poster, it is my husband who is on active duty with the Air Force. I have another question but I'm almost afraid to ask. It has to do with MNSSHP so I will place it on appropriate thread.

I guess we'll just miss you then! We leave for home the day you arrive.

Don't be afraid to ask a question. If you post it in a wrong forum, our great mods will just move it for you!

I hope you have a great time on your trip!

ElenitaB
05-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Moderator Alert

We're all here because we love Disney and we're passionate about it! Sometimes that passion gets the best of us.

Remember that when posting, we lose a lot of the nuances of face-to-face or even phone conversation. What we say with the best of intentions can easily be misinterpreted by many. So please take a step back when posting and reread what you've written, to ensure that you won't be sending a message you never intended to send.

DisneyDudet
05-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Ellen,

Where's my Domino's?

cajunbaby1
05-26-2008, 02:09 AM
First of all--Sorry you had a rough time with ADR's, etc.
2nd-Don't let a few people get you down. Lessons we've learned today: No dbl bookings and never ever bring refillable mugs back or the Mug Police will hunt you down and confiscate them :drill::funny:
Now I hope y'all have a fabulous time at disney.