PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney World Resort Completes Green Lodging Certification of all Resort Hotels

Figment!
05-21-2008, 01:02 PM
All Disney Hotels Get Green Designation

Orlando Business Journal
May 16, 2008

Disney's Yacht and Beach Club Resort recently earned the state's Green Lodging designation.

All 23 hotels at Walt Disney World Resort and the company's Vero Beach resort have now been certified as meeting voluntary environmental guidelines.

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection established the Florida Green Lodging Program in 2004. Properties must meet environmental guidelines for hotels and motels to conserve natural resources and prevent pollution. To date, 165 hotel properties across Florida have earned the designation.

Gov. Charlie Crist signed an executive order in July requiring state agencies and departments to hold meetings and conferences only at hotels with Florida Green Lodging Program designation whenever possible.

Disney's BoardWalk Inn was the first hotel in Florida to receive the Green Lodging designation in 2004.

Disney properties installed EnergyStar rated appliances, energy efficient lighting and took other measures to reduce electricity demand. In addition, the resort also implemented a towel and linen reuse program and installed low-flow faucets to reduce water usage.

pdrlkr
05-21-2008, 09:37 PM
:thumbsup:

Mousemates
05-26-2008, 11:08 PM
[
Disney properties installed EnergyStar rated appliances, energy efficient lighting and took other measures to reduce electricity demand. In addition, the resort also implemented a towel and linen reuse program and installed low-flow faucets to reduce water usage.

I'll give a :thumbsup: to everything but the low flow faucets....too slow.

DisneyWizard
05-27-2008, 02:24 PM
To me this isn't a great step that Disney has taken, it's a great side effect of the corners they have cut to reduce their own bills.

I'm glad it helps the environment, obviously, but it doesn't seem to me like that was their motivation.

TheRustyScupper
05-28-2008, 10:10 AM
To me this isn't a great step that Disney has taken, it's a great side effect of the corners they have cut to reduce their own bills.

I'm glad it helps the environment, obviously, but it doesn't seem to me like that was their motivation.

You betchya.

cgriff
05-28-2008, 01:52 PM

The environmental catch-22, I call it... "C'mon America, you need to use less energy," certain activists demand. Then when a large corporate entity like Disney does so, they get branded with, "evvveeeelllll corporate America... cutting costs because they are always thinking about their bottom line! Tsk, tsk, tsk..."

Remember, Disney was environmentality-conscious even before it was hip (and now legislatively mandated)...

cgriff