PDA

View Full Version : DP ADR's for November ?

debandbub
05-21-2008, 07:24 AM
Hi all,
We (my SO and me) are going to the World at the end of October and overlapping our trip with my brother and his family (Bro, SIL, two nieces 8 and 11). It's our 11th trip, and their first as a family. (the last time my brother and SIL were there was over 15 years ago on their honeymoon). They have the dining plan, we don't. (frankly we don't eat enough food to make it worth it for us!)

The thing is, I am a control freak (trying desperately to break the habit :blush:), but I really feel that they first of all could benefit from our experience, but more importantly I am concerned that they will be out of luck if they don't make ADRs before they go. I am making at least two for us all together (character breakfast and 50's Prime Time Cafe), but they think they can just "wing it". So please, let me know, will they be able to get into some (any) TS restaurants at the parks in the first week of November without ADR's? Or should I really push them to start making them? I know we're past the 180 day mark, but again...I am trying not to be too controlling, or else I would do it all! (STILL waiting for the November hours BTW!) My secret evil back-up plan is to just make them all without telling them, and let them find out once we are there. We won't be eating most meals with them (like I said, we're more nibblers, and a lot of the time we even split a CS meal and it's enough), but I want them to be taken care of.

So please...those that use the DP or eat at a lot of TS restaurants, give me guidance, please and thank you!:mickey:

scootch713
05-21-2008, 08:25 AM
I think you will be able to walk up to some... but if you are using the dining plan, it is foolish to not get the most out of it. Ihave never done it, but am this year, so am taking advantage of being able to do things like Hoop De Doo and not pay $50 a person. I would suggest to them that they at least make a few, they can always cancel if they change their minds. Even at 8 and 11, they would probably still enjoy a character meal.

tyandskyesmom
05-21-2008, 05:08 PM
I would not do the DDP or DDDP without ADRs at any time. In the last few years I have seen way too many people upset at being turned away from a full restaurant trying to get walk-up seating. Frankly, you'd waste too much time walking from place ot place to find an open one.

I'd explain to them, make sure to mention that only very few of them cannot be cancelled at the last minute (and those are probably the ones that you would not get as a walk up anyway!), and that is cannot possibly hurt to make them.

Then if they don't, I'd probabaly do it for them!

Jared
05-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I totally agree with Sherry. It is too risky to purchase to Disney Dining Plan and not make Advance Dining Reservations. Your brother is paying for all those meals. Why not get the most out of it? I realize you don't want to seem too controlling, so why not show him this thread? If enough veteran Disney vacationers say reservations are necessary, perhaps he will eventually agree.

beksy
05-22-2008, 01:42 AM
They're spending the money so I think they should have at least most of the meals locked in with ADRs or they may not be able to get into enough TS restauraunts (or at least not the ones they'd enjoy!) Plus it'll save time since they won't be running or calling around trying to find an opening for a decent time at a place they want. With the dining plan, I think ADRs are a necessity.

AHOTE
05-22-2008, 02:14 AM
We were down last year the last week of October and it was rough to get a reservation where we really wanted to eat. Our trip was spur of the moment thing so there was not enough time to plan it all. We basically had to take what was available at whatever times were available. Because of our not having ADR's most of our meals were CS. The TS reservations we did get were last seating, 9PM or later. This year we took the DDP and all our favorite places have been reserved along with a few new ones. The end of October is a busy time, you have Food & Wine Festival, there's a golf tournament around that time. They have the DDP too it makes little sense not to have ADR's. They can always change there minds once they are there and cancel reservations after they find out what else is available and adjust accordingly.

debandbub
05-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I am going to do my best to talk them in to making the ADR's. And if not...my evil plan B will go into effect, and I'll just make them for them! :secret:

Kairi_7378
05-22-2008, 08:26 AM
I would advise them to make at least some ADR's. Are they annoyed about having to decide where to eat dinner 180 days in advance? While some of us on Intercot love to do this, others can not stand to have their entire vacation scheduled around a meal plan. Because they are going in October, they might not have to call as early for reservations as they may have to during a busier time, say, March. If they haven't been to WDW in 15 years, they probably don't understand how the entire dining structure has changed, and that walk ups are much harder to get, if not impossible. Even my husband, the Disney veteran in the family, could not believe that you needed to call about Cinderella's breakfast so far in advance until I read some of the guide books.

I guess my point is that I agree with Sherri and Jared. The dining plan is expensive and I'd hate to see them getting stuck with CS meals the whole time when they've paid for TS meals. If they don't believe you, I'd refer them to the Dining chapter in the Unofficial Guide to Disney World. It really provides an objective look at the dining process at Disney.

debandbub
05-23-2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. It's not that they're annoyed about picking places so far in advance, but I think you're exactly right, Kairi, when you say they probably just don't understand how much things have changed. Add that to the fact that they are not real planners, and just want to "wing it". I think I'll help them pick a few places, and I'll take care of ADR's so they have a few in place at least. I know it will all work out!