PDA

View Full Version : Yard Sale Tips

mjaclyn
05-20-2008, 10:22 PM
Hi everyone!
It's that time of year again and yes, I've roped DH into spring cleaning and we've come across LOTS of stuff we need to get rid of. We're having a yard sale this weekend to try and unload it and I need some tips! I really didn't want to have it this fast but the next weekend we have free isn't until the end of June!! I've already posted an ad in my local newspaper and posted flyers on local bulletin boards. I plan to put an ad on Craigslist this Friday as well. I guess I need some tips on pricing. The whole point of this sale is to get rid of the stuff I don't need without feeling like I'm giving it away. Here are some of the items we're selling (any advice on how much to ask?):

53" Sony Rear Projection HDTV - Great condition, works well, never had a problem with it - it's just too big for our family room

Matching Mens & Ladies Mongoose Mountain bikes - maybe used twice on the street in our neighborhood

Coffee table - loose leg but otherwise very good condition, the top of it lifts up towards you to be used as a TV tray type table to eat on

Playstation 2 Game Console with controllers and 2 games

Leather Jacket & assorted winter coats & dress coats - great condition, minor wear

DVDs & XBOX Games - DVDs are pretty recent titles, we just have too many and never watch them

Besides pricing, does anyone have any other good advice/tips on how to have a successful yard sale?

Dakota Rose
05-20-2008, 11:44 PM
I love yard sales! I love having 'em and love shoppin' em. :) You've got some good stuff on your hands. That's exactly the kind of coffee table we want for our rec room! Too bad we're in ND!

I'd suggest posting your ad on Thursday afternoon/evening so that it's online when people get to work on Friday and spend the morning surfing the web. :blush:

In my experience, the first people to a yard sale are the serious buyers. Know your bottom price on the big stuff and sell it to them then. Mark it higher than you would settle for and say "make offer".

In the early afternoon, we like to group smaller items together in a box or bag and mark it at one price. You can get rid of a lot of junk that way! :)

Most of all, have fun and bask in the glory of your clutter-free house and money-padded pockets! :)

Flower
05-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Start early in the morning, around here people have their stuff out by 7 am (YIKES!!!!)

I can't really help you with pricing, try looking stuff up on Ebay or kijiji that may be similar to what you are selling and price along those lines.

Good Luck!!!

prprincess
05-21-2008, 09:43 AM
In my experience, the first people to a yard sale are the serious buyers. Know your bottom price on the big stuff and sell it to them then. Mark it higher than you would settle for and say "make offer". I totally agree with this. But be patient. The last yard sale that I had was weird because everybody wanted everything that I had for $1!! I guess that's what you get with the advent of the dollar stores!!!