PDA

View Full Version : Gac

2 princes and a princess
05-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Hi. We are planning to get a GAC for my 3 year old son who is on the AUTISM spectrum and has Sensory Integration Dysfunction. I know that we will need to bring a note from our doctor, but what exactly does the note need to say? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.:mickey:

Hayden's Dad
05-20-2008, 10:49 AM
We have never had to show a note from the doctor, but Hayden doesn't have autism and it is fairly obvious that he is handicapped, but my understanding is that if you tell them what your child's needs are and what he has then you shouldn't have any issues with getting a GAC. Just remember to have fun. :mickey: One of our other parents will come along who has more experience with autism than we do.

JMTStone
05-20-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm curious too. My nephew has Autism and we're going to take him (along with his brother and his parents) with us soon!

Von-Drake
05-20-2008, 03:27 PM
The letter we got from our doctor explained how our son starts stimming when he is around a lot of people having different conversations for extended period of time. When eating unless we were able to find a corner, have him sit in the seat in the corner and the rest of sit on the sides open to the crowds and keep him engaged in speaking to one of us at a time it was awful. When he hears so many people talk at once he has trouble focusing on a single conversation. While the letter from our docs, did not give the example above it did the job explaining what we thought was the biggest obstacle to him enjoying himself on his birthday vacation.

joanna71985
05-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Actually, you will not need a doctor's note. They won't look at it.

Here we go again...
05-21-2008, 05:55 AM
While some CMs never ask for the note, some do... so it is a good idea to bring one.

The note just needs to state the illness/condition and that the person can not tolerate long lines or too much stimulation.

I did have one CM call my doctor to verify the note. I am only 46 and do not look old enough to have to conditions listed on the note. I wish it was fake... but it is my life.

Von-Drake
05-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Actually, you will not need a doctor's note. They won't look at it.

They did not look at our doctor's note either, but I felt better having it, just in case.