PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with Choice of Career

Mickey052501
05-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Hello friends,

Well I am offically fed up. I graduated with a Masters degree in Guidance Counseling three years ago, and I have no hope of getting a job in upstate New York. I live in the Albany area and it is impossible to get in, I always get a second interview and came close to getting a position when I filled in last year for a counselor on medical leave but she came back. This feels terrible. Thanks for listening. Moving is not possible, so I feel stuck.

Jen:(

pink
05-19-2008, 06:34 PM
That sounds a hard position to be in and I hope everything works out for you soon. :pixie:

:mickey:

ElenitaB
05-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Did you go to SUNY Albany? (I did.. way back when.)

Have you talked with the placement services at your school? You also might be able to take some courses in coaching (professional, not sports) and leverage your career in a way you hadn't thought of before.

PirateLover
05-19-2008, 07:40 PM
I feel your pain. I graduated with a degree in secondary education for Social Studies but the market around here is so competitive. I have been on countless interviews at this point, I've gotten called back for second rounds, done the followups etc. It's amazing how many people say they will call you back and don't, and even ignore your follow up call/email/letter. When I do get a response, it is usually "We really enjoyed the interview and think you are a great candidate, however we went with someone with more experience" or something along those lines. It's very frustrating and I actually am a strong believe in things being "meant to be." I am continuing to apply but I'm starting to think about other options for what I could go back and get a masters in. Good luck, I hope that something comes along for you soon!