PDA

View Full Version : Scuba lessons?

DisneyWizard
05-19-2008, 02:46 PM
I was going to get PADI certified this summer in preparation for my cruise in the fall. How long does it usually take do the classes and all that? How much homework is there?

OH and any suggestions? :cool:

Tick-Tock
05-19-2008, 05:10 PM
The shops in our area offer different options. I think I took my classes & pool work in one weekend (all day both days) (having done some reading and workbook stuff beforehand). Then you have to do your open-water test. If at all possible, get your open-water done before your cruise, so you have your PADI card and are ready to dive! Unless you're doing a dive-focused cruise, you're not going to have much dive time.

garymacd
05-20-2008, 09:39 AM
I got mine, oh, most of a lifetime ago. It took us one session a week for about eight weeks. Then we had to do our open water dive. We had to wait for the ice to leave the lakes and the water to warm up past the point of hypothermia.

Definitely, get your open water dive in about a month before you leave to ensure they have time to get you your card. You will need to provide the instructor with a photo of yourself for the card.

As for homework, I don't recall too much that had to be done. There is a written test and you will need to undestand your dive tables whether or not you intend on doing repetitive or decompression dives. That was the trickiest part of the whole course. Once you understand the concept, all you have to do is look at the dive tables, figure out your bottom time and calculate how long to stay under before surfacing and how long and deep you can go on your next dive.

Definitely get your PADI card, because the next time you go to EPCOT, you can do DiveQuest. That was a lot of fun! And with your PADI card, you get a 10% discount.

MsMin
05-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Do check it out b/c I took my lessons from this one guy and all we did was swim for 4 hours for 6 weeks... it was supposed to be the completion of the course and we still had no books and no equipment etc brought to class. This guy was famous for doing this then he wanted more $$ b/c it was a 6wk course. It was a big dive shop in N.O. too. I ended up taking private lessons from a guy and got my certification in 3 wks and had my open water in Fla w/ a larger group. As mentioned there are physics theories and dive charts. I got bot the PADI and YMCA certification. I think he said it was based on your score (and the fact that he could certify in both) YMCA required a higher certification. There is also a swim test. We had to swim a mile, thread water for 20 mins w/ no hands and ditch and don in (however deep the pool was) and swim a lap (up and back) on one gulp of compressed air. Clear your mask, demonstrate you can use a snorkel properly etc.
Honestly most of the color is in the first atmosphere. I rarely dove but snorkeled a lot, I used to be able to snorkel in 20 feet after a lot of experience but around many reefs its only 6-8 ft and beautiful and easy to manage w/ just a snorkel. ( I did most of my diving in the keys). Year ago.

DisneyWizard
05-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Wow thanks for all of the advice. I think I'm going to start in a month or so and do my open water dive at Dutch Springs. I guess they certify people there regularly.