PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' - What's going on???

SurferStitch
05-19-2008, 01:20 PM
DH and I were in WDW 5/4-5/10, and went on Soarin'. Now, the film has been getting worn for a while now, but we were shocked at the horrendous quality this last time.

1. Huge black streaks throughout the frame every time a new scene came up. They lasted for 5+ seconds or so.

2. Big black spots here and there throughout the film.

3. The grid behind the screen is very noticeable now, and is distracting.

4. The Christmas scene ending was still being used. We thought it was great when they had the Christmas version of DL in the film in December, but that should be back to the normal version now.

Overall, we were terribly disappointed in this attraction. Don't know if it's a must-do for us anymore. :(

So, anyone else notice these glaring eyesores, or are we just too critical?

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
05-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Wow...that is very un-Disney-like.

I hope it was just a one-time flaw and I'm very sorry you had to experience it like that. :(

Much pixie dust for you hoping your next flight on Soarin' is better if you choose to take it! :pixie:

Chris :hatter:

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
05-19-2008, 01:37 PM
When we were at the World in Sept. I also noticed this quality problem. It sounds as if your experience may have been worse than ours but it definitely needs some attention.

Jasper
05-19-2008, 01:44 PM
WOW!! That is so unusual! I am especially surprised because I saw a program that went into the details of the movie at Soarin' and they were saying that it is all digitally put together so that they can drop scenes in and out at will so it seems really strange that Christmas would still be shown.

Did you report this to anyone? Anytime you see something wrong at the parks it helps the CM a whole lot when you report it because they may not even see the movie on a regular basis.

JPL
05-19-2008, 01:57 PM
This is a common problem with film based attractions the film is run constantly and they need to replace the print at times. It was really bad last time I was there and some of the flaws are also caused by a dirty screen. They was a black spot about the size of a basketball in every scene looked like dirt of the screen.

Kidsmom
05-19-2008, 01:59 PM
I don't remember any Christmas (don't know what the Christmas part is actually) at all when we saw it in April and NO black streaks!

Something must have just happened.

Ian
05-19-2008, 02:04 PM
DH and I were in WDW 5/4-5/10, and went on Soarin'. Now, the film has been getting worn for a while now, but we were shocked at the horrendous quality this last time.

1. Huge black streaks throughout the frame every time a new scene came up. They lasted for 5+ seconds or so.

2. Big black spots here and there throughout the film.

3. The grid behind the screen is very noticeable now, and is distracting.

4. The Christmas scene ending was still being used. We thought it was great when they had the Christmas version of DL in the film in December, but that should be back to the normal version now.

Overall, we were terribly disappointed in this attraction. Don't know if it's a must-do for us anymore. :(

So, anyone else notice these glaring eyesores, or are we just too critical?Okay, well I totally agree with you about the film quality. We saw it last week and it was pretty bad. Very distracting.

But I have no idea what you mean about the Christmas scene at the end. That scene never changes. It's been that way forever. It's always Christmas.

chrisb26
05-19-2008, 02:04 PM
The Christmas part is at the very end when you arrive at DLR they are having the Christmas Parade and all the decorations are up. Which I do agree I thought would be better suited for Christmas time only but I'm fine with it being there all the time which is the case since every time I've rode it they have had that scene.

When we were there in May we also noticed how bad the film was. Which is sad because it really takes away from the attraction. When there are no streaks or smudges in the film it looks like you really are flying but with the film flaws it really takes away from the ride.

Septbride2002
05-19-2008, 02:12 PM
We were extremely disappointed in Soarin - and we had the same technical issues as you did. This is not a must see for us at all.

~Amanda

BluewaterBrad
05-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Wow that is too bad! I cant ever say we had a bad experience on Soarin.:mickey:

Flower
05-19-2008, 04:13 PM
We noticed the black spots too and yes, it is VERY distracting. The Christmas scene has always been there!

TheRustyScupper
05-19-2008, 05:22 PM
1) We really like Soarin'.
2) I mean we REALLY, REALLY like Soarin'.
3) But, we have stopped going on it.
4) The distractions of poor film quality kills it for us.

NOTE: Are you listening Mr Ogre? (I mean Iger.) Let's put some of those excess profits back into park maintenance instead of executive bonuses.

KylesMom
05-19-2008, 05:31 PM
It was disappointing last June to see the downward spiral of this attraction - between the black spots and the skipping soundtrack, we saved our FPs for other attractions after going on Soarin' once. :(

Mousemates
05-19-2008, 05:35 PM
TheRustyScupper Are you listening Mr Ogre? (I mean Iger.) Let's put some of those excess profits back into park maintenance instead of executive bonuses.

I agree, but don't hold your breath.:flame:

Sunshine1010
05-19-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm glad someone else mentioned this. My family noticed how bad the screen (or whatever) looked and it was distracting. For years I've seen some big black spots in the middle of the screen. I try to ignore it. Perhaps a rehab is due....

Texas Tinkerbell Too
05-19-2008, 06:34 PM
When we were at the World in Sept. I also noticed this quality problem. It sounds as if your experience may have been worse than ours but it definitely needs some attention.

Ditto!

thejens
05-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Wow. I find this shocking. A bit of peeling paint or litter is bad, but the problems you listed completely ruin the illusion. I just can't believe Disney would allow that! I am really looking forward to visiting Harry Potter land at Universal, but didn't think Disney would let itself slip so low. Our trip is next week and I will be so disappointed if Soaring is ruined. :(

Young@Heart
05-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Awww......:( This will be the first year DD will get to experience Soarin. We'll still go on it, even if the quality isn't so great, but I would have loved my DD to see it in its better days.

mickclub1955
05-19-2008, 08:30 PM
that is the normal ending. When they filmed the original film it was christmas time at disneyland. I have been to both Soarin and Soarin over California and it is the same movie.

SurferStitch
05-20-2008, 12:31 AM
I didn't realize the Christmas ending was the norm. I don't remember seeing that in 2005 (rode it 4 or 5 times), and remember being impressed in December of '06 when we saw it.

Don't know how both of us missed that.:scratch:
Thank you to those who nicely pointed that out. ;)

letsdoitagain
05-20-2008, 07:06 AM
We were at WDW last August and didn't get a chance to ride Soarin. We are going back this August for our 2nd trip and were planning on riding it since it usually get such good reviews, but if its in that bad of shape I don't know if I really want to waste the time standing in line or the fast pass on it.

pogo
05-20-2008, 07:21 AM
I hope they fix this by December. :D

GeorgeOfTheJungle
05-20-2008, 03:49 PM
I rode Soarin 3 times this week. The first time I didn't notice anything wrong with the quality of the ride, but the other 2 times there were black spots on the screen that were very distracting! They were always in different spots so I think the film is dirty, not scratched.

Mickey Loves Golf
05-20-2008, 06:45 PM
We went on it Sunday (2 days ago) and it was OK. There were only a few specks of lint (???) the opening scene (clouds) but then it was ok after that...We "flew" on the fast past side...Dunno if that makes a difference.