PDA

View Full Version : Friend broke ankle, going on plane

DisneyDog
05-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Okay, I think my friend might be off her rocker, so to speak. She is going on a trip on Tuesday (tomorrow). Thursday she was frantically trying to get laundry done and tripped going down the stairs. She broke her ankle in 4 places. She had to have surgery and now has 9 pins and a plate in her ankle. She is still planning on going on the trip (from Philly to California)...with a 2 year old, no less.

She is going to CA for a wedding, they are also going to the San Diego Zoo and Seaworld (incidentally, they are going to WDW in August and hitting Seaworld there too...and we just went to the Philly Zoo together a few weeks ago, so it's not like she doesn't get to do those things).

I really think she's out of her mind to make this huge trip just a few days after getting out of surgery. Not to mention that her DH is going to have so much to deal with. She'll be in a wheelchair, her little one loves to run off in all directions, AND, he still doesn't sleep through the night (at 2 1/2). Plus of course there is the health risk of blood clots while flying on the plane.

I'd ask for pixie dust for her, but I think I'm going to need it more when she returns home and I get to hear about how difficult the trip was. Or, is it just me being negative...should she be making this trip?

Jasper
05-19-2008, 11:52 AM
These kind of situations are tough enough for you who are directly involved with the injured to deal with so you can only imagine how hard it is for any of us to give you advice that can really work.

I guess the first thing is that you say she is going to California for a wedding. Is she in the wedding? Is the wedding for a family member or good friend or just an acquaintance? If she is in the wedding or if it is for a family member or good friend then I think she needs to go for at least the wedding. However if it is just an acquaintance then maybe she ought to think about staying home.

Assuming she really needs to go for the wedding then try to focus on that and see if she would consider doing away with the other journeys. That way she will be refreshed and in good shape to handle the long day normally involved with any wedding.

Of course you have to remember that the bottom line is that it is her decision to make. Sure, you can offer advice but from there it is up to her to decide what is right for her. One last piece of advice is that I would tell her nicely that if she goes and does all these things then you don't want to hear her complaining when she gets back about how she hurts!!

By the way, I have had 7 back surgeries and am scheduled for number 8. I have a nerve that is damaged and causes me constant intense pain so I know all about taking trips and over doing!!

DisneyDog
05-19-2008, 12:08 PM
She's not in the wedding. It's a cousin's wedding, but mostly she's going because it's a chance to stay in a really nice hotel. I don't get the impression that she is very close with this cousin.

Mostly, I'm concerned about her health and the fact that she will be making this trip with a very active toddler. It's not going to be easy, and she certainly will be uncomfortable. It's a 6 hour flight...plus, while she's been concerned with how she's going to get around while on her vacation, she hasn't given much thought to actually getting through Philadelphia International to get to the plane. I personally think that's going to be her biggest obstacle.