PDA

View Full Version : Kona coffee available outside WDW

disneyboundagain
05-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Is it possible to get the same Kona coffee that the Poly sells outside WDW? My DW absolutely loves it ( I am not a coffee drinker). When we went this past Dec, she bought a pound to bring home. She put it in the freezer and used it very sparingly. She ran out about a month ago, and was really bummed. Being that we still have 206 days (not that I'm counting) until we go back, I would love to suprise her with some. Thanks if you can help.

DizneyFreak2002
05-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Not sure... but they have the best coffee on property...

TheRustyScupper
05-18-2008, 10:47 PM
1) The Kona coffee served at the Poly is roasted in Orlando.
2) The Kona beans are brought in from Hawaii.
3) You can get essentially the same Kona coffee from Internet sources.
4) You have lots of varieties from which to choose.
. . . whole bean or ground of any below
. . . 100% Kona coffee or Blended Kona coffee (like the Poly)
. . . Medium Roast of 100% or blended
. . . Dark Roast of 100% or blended
. . . Peaberry Medium-Dark blended

NOTE: From many trips to Hawaii, I do not recommend decaf Kona coffee. NO GROWER has perfected decaffeinating that keeps the Kona taste qualities.

NOTE2: I do not buy "Kona Blend" coffee, as you do not know what the other coffee is, plus the percentage of true Kona bean is generally quite small.

TinkiTime1989
05-19-2008, 12:30 AM
You might have the best luck calling WDW merchandising and having some mailed to your home.

Diz-Knee
05-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Maybe not the exact same brand, however you can certainly purchase Kona coffee. Do you remember which one she purchased? Was it the 100% Kona Coffee or the Kona Blend? Like the PP stated - 100% Kona Coffee is the "good" stuff as it is pure. You can search online for it or at a specialty coffee store. Try looking for it at Whole Foods or Fresh Market if you have them around where you live.

It might not remind you of Disney trips, but Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is a really yummy coffee too!

Goofygram
05-19-2008, 07:06 PM
I have purchased Kona coffee in the past at a specialty coffee shop and TJMax sells the Kona blend, sometimes I can find 100% KOna coffee there. I have to agree with another poster that the Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is just as good as the KOna ( well almost). Good luck, I am sure your wife will appreciate the effort you will take for her.

McGoofy
05-20-2008, 12:18 AM
We have a store here called World Market that sells Kona Coffee, not sure if the taste is the same since I have never purchased it.

mouseketeer mom
05-20-2008, 06:41 AM
When we ate at Kona we got the 100% pressed pot, not the blend. The server offered a purchase of the 100% Kona for home, but we didn't get it, but we plan on bringing it home in August. Do you know if you purchased the 100% Kona or the blend? I remember the 100% being pretty expensive.

disneyboundagain
05-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Do you know if you purchased the 100% Kona or the blend? I remember the 100% being pretty expensive.

DW bought the 100%. I don't remember the exact price, and I don't want to ask her because she doesn't know that I want to buy her more now. I think it was around $40 for 14 ounces.

disneyboundagain
05-21-2008, 06:43 PM
For anyone else interested in doing the same thing, I didn't have any luck. Merchandising does not and can not sell anything from the resorts or restaraunts. I called and begged the people at the Poly, but they are not permitted to sell anything via mail order.

I ended up finding a local roaster that has green Kona beans. He is going to roast a pound for me and I will give them to DW when the beans are still hot. I'm sure they will be very good, but they just won't be the same.