PDA

View Full Version : I get emotional at MK when...

disneydoug
05-18-2008, 12:22 PM
What brings on the emotion the most at MK for you?

Happy, sad, nostalgic whatever?

I always remember that Dumbo was the first ride that I took my DD on when she was 2 1/2. She is almost 17 and is an intercotee.

Doug

disneylovinmom
05-18-2008, 12:30 PM
It really gets to me when we first pull up in the bus and the "Mickey Mouse Club" sounding music is playing overhead. Also walking under the train tracks into Main Street and seeing the characters and looking down the street and seeing the castle makes me teary eyed, not because I am sad, of course, but because it all so beautiful to me. It's almost as if I can't believe I am really there.:mickey:

princessjojo
05-18-2008, 12:36 PM
There's something about that first sight after you pass through the turnstiles, especially that first walk down Main Street in MK. I think it's the whole I'm really here, again thing that does it for me. And the idea of the innocence of being a child again.

HndrdPrcnt
05-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I would have to go with going through the turnstile and seeing the Main Street Train Station. Last time we were there our family was chosen to help Mickey open the park in the opening ceremony and I know that this will always be a special memory for me!

elmjimmlm
05-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Mine is when we get off the exit and see the sign overhead and our kids hold their breath until they can take their first "Disney breath" when we drive under...Knowing how great our week is going to be and how we dont want it to end...:mickey:

Cookie123
05-18-2008, 01:00 PM
As I arrive at the MK........

It's like ......... "Wow - I can't believe I'm here again !
It's so beautiful !
It's truly magical !
There really is magic here!
I can't believe I did it again !

All as I'm wiping a tear away.

Also what gets me emotional is Spectromagic,
and the fireworks.

ASweetLov
05-18-2008, 01:05 PM
walking down Main Street and looking up at the castle makes my eyes tear up, not because I am sad but because I can't believe that I am at WDW:cloud9:

MickeyMomof2
05-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Mine is during the park opening show on our first day at MK. I tear up every time (and I am not usually a crier).

jrkcr
05-18-2008, 02:44 PM
At WDW I always wear a special necklace that belonged to my best friend Kathrin. She was like a sister to me. I visited her family in Germany, and we traveled all over Europe. And she went to WDW with my family several times. She and I wore these Disney T-shirts that we had put on a clothes line and watered down, stretched them out, and watered them more. They were quit big on us!! And she loved the Goofy ear hats! She married my neighbor, and became a US citizen. She was in a car accident and died about 7 years ago. So now I wear her necklace and take a part of her with me to WDW! So I shed a few tears when we arrive, and a few more when we leave.
Sorry if this is kinda :(, but I have great, fun memories of our trips to WDW as teens!

beachezncream
05-18-2008, 02:51 PM
That is precious jrkcr

That is the kind of stuff my dad posted this for

Polynesian Dweller
05-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Walking onto Main Street the first time when returning. Its like we were there yesterday. We first started 18 years ago when my DW ended her last treatment for lymphoma and it made us feel great. Now on every return its wonderful to have been together another year. Its getting to me writing this.

DisneyFreak23
05-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Well, i guess my most emotional moment was on our last trip. We had arrived the day before in the afternoon and went to Ak to ride EE, but that next morning we had early reservations at Crystal Palace. i just remember walking down an almost deserted Main Street and looking up at the castle. then my mom and I looked at each other and I said. "I'm Home!!!!!" :mickey:

gosh, now im all sad for remembering! but oh well, 21 days!!!!!

scootch713
05-18-2008, 03:24 PM
I took my 21 year old niece 4 months before she died. We kept smelling the funnel cakes but never seemed to be the right moment when we were by them, we had just eaten or something. So at rope drop one morning, when everyone was running to their favorite ride... we ran to the funnel cake stand and had breakfast! As she was savoring every bite, she said, "this is my idea of a five star meal!" The smell of a funnel cake will forever fill my eyes with tears and my heart with love. We truly had the time of our lives and she will always be with us. So next time you go by the funnel cakes, have one for Lindso (short for Lindsey :cloud9:)

mouselover93
05-18-2008, 03:35 PM
i have two things

1.) is when i fall asleep in the car wake up at the hotle thinking is this real and then punching myself in the gut ( gives me both the tearful, happy, and painful emotions. )

2.)walking through leave a legacy at epcot and just seeing all the walls and then spaceship earth and occasionally the monorail going behind it.

KineGirl
05-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Well Im happy the whole time Im there doing anything from sitting on a bench eating a mickey head icecream to zapping Zorg on Buzz but I get very emotional during one particular event...

Wishes. I grew up with seeing those big pompom fireworks behind the castle on tv (like we all did) and loving Disney but until Wishes came out - it was just a fantasy. So now when Im standing there in front of the castle (usually by the Walt & Mickey founders statue) and Tinkerbell flies by and BANG :fworks: BOOOM - I always tear up. It is the epidomy of Disney to me. What makes it worse/more sentimental though is when I look over at my DD17 and shes all teary eyed too. We just hug each other & watch. I love that kid and I love Disney World :cloud9:

biodtl
05-18-2008, 03:44 PM
I get emotional a lot at MK. It's always our 1st park, and I get teary when we arrive (and of course when we leave). But I also get emotional over any rides I feel nostalgic about, plus parades and fireworks. And any time my kids experience a particularly magical moment. So pretty much the whole time.

snerd475
05-18-2008, 03:58 PM
The castle gets me every time, but never more so than last December, when we arrived for the party and were distracted by the parade, snow, etc. walking down Main Street - then, suddenly, I looked up and saw the castle, in all it's blue, sparkly, icy Christmas glory, and I just put my hand over my mouth and teared up somethin' fierce!

Also, during the Peter Pan part of Mickey's Philharmagic. Always gets me misty. Just the innocence of "you can fly"....sigh.

The parades usually get me going as well. Just the music and the cheer. And the fireworks.

I cry real tears, though, when I can see the "Welcome to Disney World" sign in the opposite lane, in my rearview mirror. Back to the real world. :( Until next time.....
And the cycle continues...

Texas Tinkerbell Too
05-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Without fail, I always tear up at WISHES. My DH always looks over at me during the show and grins... knowing he will find me crying. Then he gives me a big hug. The combination of the spectacular fireworks, the beautiful lights on Cinderella's Castle at night, watching my childrens faces light up, the adorable child singing the WISHES song in the background, and tink flying across the night sky! Wow... it's so magical!

BluewaterBrad
05-18-2008, 04:40 PM
I have to say watching Wishes. What a great show!!:mickey:

barnaby
05-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Watching Wishes.
Last trip my son (age 8) asked me what my wish was - I told to be there with them and enjoying the fireworks and music.

mudpuppysmom
05-18-2008, 05:51 PM
DS and I get emotional on our last day.....we ALWYAS go to MK (whether DH is with us or not) and it just seems like the day flies by on that last day.....we get up early, check out of the hotel and are at MK around 9:30.....before we know it it's time to go to the airport.....feels like 2 minutes to both of us. Last trip, in January, DS and I posed for DH in front of the castle with our :pout: faces (which we usually save for when he picks us up at home)......he laughed at both of us, but he knew that as we were on our way out HE too was sad to go.

Seems like we get there and feel like we have a long time to go and poof, it's the last day!

The other thing that gets DS and I is when we drive under that big purple archway welcoming you to Disney.......we count down from 5 as we drive thru. IF at any time we leave the property DS starts yelling at me, "We can't leave yet mumma, we just got here!"......I tell him then that we are going to eat somewhere, or going to the store for more supplies......the one time I tell him yeah we are leaving is the time he doesn't say anything!

Alaska Disney Fan
05-18-2008, 06:19 PM
My first post on Intercot and I'm going to "out" myself. I always get teary eyed during Wishes :crying:. Standing there with my DW, DS, and DD always makes me get emotional, definately one of the happiest places on earth.

wdwgrl377
05-18-2008, 06:22 PM
I get so emotional at MK when it's time for Wishes! I get tears in my eyes and butterflies in my stomach. It's just b/c I am so happy to be there and just hearing that song and seeing the fireworks gives me chills!

I also get emotional on my first day, in the MK when I see the Castle, even when I'm on the Monorail!

disneyboundagain
05-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Standing on Main Street on Christmas day with DW, DD, and DS watching Spectromagic. Gets me every single time. Going early this year though, we'll be there Dec 14-20. I'm sure it will still be very emotional.

kelly.garrett
05-18-2008, 08:00 PM
I always get sad and teary watching Wishes for the last time before we leave WDW.

Tink#64
05-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Wow, there are so many things that bring out such strong emotions in me in the MK! Approaching the entrance to the park & seeing the Magic Kingdom sign makes it real that we're back! Then that walk down Main Street listening to the happy background music and that 1st view of the Castle and just admiring it as we make our way to the hub. That is purely magical! Wishes always brings tears to my eys, even watching it on You Tube can do it to me!

My whole family just absorbs the magic and we all act so silly & have so much fun just being together when we're in the MK. This year we were all doing these silly walks & laughing our butts off! We'd never act like that out in public at home!

The magic is there, everywhere, if you let it in your heart, then even the smallest thing can bring so much happiness! :cloud9:

grumpyguy
05-18-2008, 08:08 PM
arriving (happy):cloud9:
leaving (sad):(
wishes (priceless):mickey:

Tigger13
05-18-2008, 08:24 PM
I always tear up when I come around the corner on main street and see the castle for the first time. A few years ago I told my niece that I wanted to live in the castle. She told me I couldnt because I was not a real Princess. To me that was very funny.:funny:

Camping Mom
05-18-2008, 09:17 PM
What makes me emotional at MK? It used to be walking down Main Street and thinking "Everybody better have a good time for all the money this is costing!!" :laughing: and now it is watching the :fworks: on our very last night and knowing we are leaving the magic. :(

Mousemates
05-18-2008, 10:44 PM
when my wife gets emotional over being there...she "tears up EZ" and when she does I think its sweet and then before you know it I do too.

Darin M
05-18-2008, 11:17 PM
The race to space mountain, when MK opens.

Also, getting off the monorail makes an uncontrollable smile race across my face.

Soul_Power
05-18-2008, 11:49 PM
The most emotional moment for me is walking down Main Street toward the castle. My first trip was last summer, and my jaw literally dropped when I laid eyes on it.

Siiigh, I wish I was there right now!

AnnetteFan
05-19-2008, 03:35 AM
During the castle show when Mickey says, "But Minnie, you've always been a princess to me."

DisneyAndRedSox
05-19-2008, 06:32 AM
Walking up Main Street looking up at the Rail Road Station... my DH proposed to me there during the Fantasy in the Sky fireworks in 2001.

One thing that always brought a big smile on my face and everybody made fun of me.... When you got on the monorail at airport from the gates to the luggage area, it said "Welcome to Orlando International Airport!" I would have a huge smile and everybody would just wait for it, we knew we were finally on vacation at Disney. Unfortunately the monorail doesn't say it anymore!

makin_memories
05-19-2008, 09:18 AM
I get total chills during wishes (even now just thinking about it!), and spectromagic brings a couple tears to my eyes.
:fworks:

Kairi_7378
05-19-2008, 09:44 AM
We were supposed to go to WDW for our honeymoon in 2002, and we weren't able to go for a variety of reasons. Our honeymoon consisted one night at a bed and breakfast. So when we went to WDW in March of 2007 for our 5th anniversary, we considered it to be the honeymoon that we never had. We were the first people in line at the gate and when Mickey pulled up in that train during the opening ceremony, it hit me that we'd been through so much in the past 5 years when no one gave us more than a year, and we were finally there... and tears started to stream down my face. But they were happy tears. My husband looked at me and took my hand because he understood.

laprana
05-19-2008, 10:01 AM
I get the most emotional at MK when...

1) I walk under the train station and out into the square and get my first glimpse of the castle. I get giddy and teary-eyed at the same time because I'm FINALLY back! :D

2) I watch Wishes. :fworks: It's my favorite nighttime show in the parks and it holds a little bit of a special meaning for me, so I always well up when I watch it!

3) I leave MK on the last day of our trip. Man, do the tears come then! :sad: I hate leaving and knowing that it will probably be another year before we are back.

Great thread!! :thumbsup:

avantgardeinker
05-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Seeing DD's (2 yrs) face light up when she saw Mickey Mouse for the first time. It is priceless.

:mickey:

DisneyCouture
05-19-2008, 10:54 AM
I get teary eyed in a couple different places.
1. When we first drive under the Walt Disney World sign and I get teary eyed knowing of how much fun is to come.

2. When we first walk down Main St. in MK and see the Castle. It brings back so many memories of childhood and now the new vacations I take with my DH. He sees me crying when we first get there and then he gets teary eyed too.:secret: Love him!

Disneyglamour
05-19-2008, 11:09 AM
I am also one of those who tear up during Wishes. There's just something about the music and the atmosphere that is unlike anything you will ever experience in your life.

Another show that makes we a little teary eyed is Phillarmagic. It's like being a part of all the movies I grew up with! :mickey:

MushuGrl
05-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Definately Wishes - especially when "Starlight, Starbright" part starts. If I can make it through THAT, I'm definately gone at what I call the "Magical World of Disney" part near the end when the huge pom poms of fireworks go off (and it looks like the beginning of the TV show).

I also get emotional on Philharmagic. We took my mom on her first trip to WDW in 2005 and that was her favorite attraction, as she's a Donald lover. I always get a little misty eyed when we're there, thinking of what a great time she had in the ride, reaching out and grabbing as much as the kids did.

makin_memories
05-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Voyage of The Little Mermaid gets me everytime. As soon as that curtain of water comes down on the stage and the mist sprays, you can hear all the little kids gasping in awe. Its so adorable, it breaks my heart. :sob:

EJS-Houston
05-19-2008, 05:38 PM

I always remember that Dumbo was the first ride that I took my DD on when she was 2 1/2. She is almost 17 and is an intercotee.

Doug

Every time I see the Main Street Electrical Parade (or whatever its current incarnation is called) I get a huge lump in my throat and tear in my eye as I remember exactly what it felt like seeing it for the first time in 1972 at the age of 12. I love the fact that even at 48 I can still tap into that part of me.

joonyer
05-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Here's another vote for Wishes, especially when I hear the music to "When you Wish upon a Star" . My DW always asks me why I am crying, but they are magic tears of joy.

TheMartellFamily
05-20-2008, 09:07 AM
I love Illuminations so it brings a little well up in the eyes when I see it. The other thing is that when you drive under the Welcome sign for the first time and the boys realize we are here. The excitement that they have would make anyone very emotional. The last thing is our last ride is always Pooh ride so when we are done we say it is now time to go. It is sad when we are walking out of the MK, packing and getting ready to go.

MatterhornMiss
05-20-2008, 10:20 AM
I get teary eyed watching SpectroMagic. Something about the music and the lights gets to me (same with Electrical Parade at DCA). However, I also mist up whenever I first arrive in WDW, turning off I-4 to whatever the highway is that has all the exits for the parks and resorts. It's nice to know I'm back. Then again, I guess I'm just a sap because I still cry at the end of The Little Mermaid.

laward32
05-20-2008, 09:28 PM
I get emotional at MK when it is time to leave MK. I also get teary eyed when I first walk down Main Street and see the Castle.:mickey3:

Dakota Rose
05-20-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm pretty much a crying mess when I get to MK. But, Spectromagic really turns on my faucets as does the statue of Walt and Mickey.

katzctkpt
05-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Once I come through under the train station and see the castle.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
05-22-2008, 01:36 PM
There are a few things:

Hearing the SpectroMagic music begin.

Watching the Disney Dreams Come True Parade

Walking down MK for the first time and seeing Cinderella Castle again.

The smell of the water waiting in line for Splash Mountain.

I'm sure there are more!

Chris :hatter:

Charlee
05-22-2008, 02:34 PM
I must admit, I turn to a crying mess very often in MK...I'm like a lot of people, MK has a lot of emotional attachments so that when I walk through those turnstiles I'm gone :blush:

I was very ill for pretty much all of my teen years and went to Disney when I was at my worst, I had to use a wheelchair and found it the most upsetting experience of my life - people walked all over me, ignored me, stood right in front of me waiting for the parade etc, I cried in the MK for the wrong reasons but it inspired me to get better and I did!

I said to my dad that as soon as I get better and can walk again "you have to skip down Main Street with me when I'm well" and he agreed. Then it happened...I got better and now every trip me and my dad skip down Main Street and receive a few stares but I don't care! I got better and I believe Disney magic helped me in my recovery!

Now as a healthy person in my twenties, I just can't help getting emotional at Disney, it reminds me of all the difficulties I went through, I get emotional in front of the castle, on Main Street, during the parades...and especially when I skip down Main Street with my dad :cloud9:

mickey&missy
05-22-2008, 06:21 PM
I get choked up all the time at WDW!!

Stepping onto Main Street and seeing the castle for the first time, Wishes, anytime my kids get that look of magic in their eye, etc, etc, etc!!!!

CandleontheWater
05-22-2008, 06:38 PM
What I love most of all is the sound of the train whistle. That sound sums up all of what Disney is to me. I love how you can hear the train whistle before you even see the castle, that distinctive sound just carries so well! :cloud9:

Kate In Wonderland
05-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Another vote for watching Wishes. And also when I'm on Small World I tear up too.

adoptionislove
05-22-2008, 09:38 PM
I just got emotional reading Charlees post!!!!!

I am crying in front of my screen right now!!!!!!:mickey:

debandbub
05-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Another vote for Wishes, and a big vote for Illuminations. And walking down Main Street on the first day. And the last day. And many moments in between. (I am a mush)

Also, I tend to tear up when I see a kid meeting a character for the first time, especially a little girl meeting a princess. There is just something about realizing that if nothing else goes right in that kid's childhood, at least this moment was perfect for them. I don't have kids, and won't ever, but I can certainly appreciate what the child (and hopefully) their parent is feeling when they see that magical moment.

And Charlee...GOOD FOR YOU! Overcoming adversity is always inspiring to me, and I hope you carry pride in yourself for your accomplishments every day.:)

xipetotec
05-23-2008, 09:09 AM

Doug

Oh wow, MK is the "worst" for me getting emotional. I guess it's the childhood nostalgia coupled with only getting to be there every couple of years but...

On the first day, just walking up to the front and seeing the train station ( Bonus for a train on the track blowing its horn ).

Walking onto Main Street USA. It's like Dorothy stepping out of her black and white house into a colorful OZ.

Wishes.

On my last day. Sitting on a park bench in the Town Square and seeing so many happy faces of families coming *IN* and knowing I'm leaving tomorrow. That kills me.

This past trip was the first time one of my kids had a true breakdown like that last one. My youngest DS ( 9 ) realized on the walkway coming away from TomorrowLand that THIS was it. We were leaving tomorrow and he criiied and criiied... :( ...

Mickey'sGirl
05-23-2008, 09:12 AM
When we were down in October, we dumped our stuff at the hotel and got over to MK just as Spectromagic was starting. We were all so excited to catch it.... so I cried. It was really wonderful.:mickey:

indytraveler
05-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Emotions strike up in me when I see the castle as we walk under the train tracks. There is something special about how the street is set up. It takes you back to a time when it was more innocent. And at the end of the day when we are standing around the front of the castle and they start playing the wishes music for the fireworks.:crying:

NYCGirl2582
05-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Seeing the first glimpse of Cinderella Castle as the bus pulls into MK always gets me super excited

pianobabe
05-26-2008, 11:24 AM
I know I am going to get emotional (probably very) this year when I ride It's a Small World. My brother HATED that song. Whenever I was down at WDW and I was riding it, I would call him so he would hear it. He would laugh and tell me I was mean, along with some "other" things (in a joking manner of course). Well, my brother very unexpectantly died a few weeks ago. I won't be able to call him this time and that is going to be very difficult.

RalsFam
05-26-2008, 01:45 PM
I know I'm going to get emotional when I see my kids walking through the front gate at MK. I will finally know how my folks felt taking my brother and I, and seeing the magic light up our faces.

Capt. Sparrow
05-29-2008, 09:38 AM
As soon as I step foot onto Main Street USA and see Cinderella Castle at the end. Thats when I know I am home (or so I like to think).

Ladyvader
05-29-2008, 09:47 AM
The thing that never fails to get me every single time is when the fireworks are going and they play When you wish upon a Star. I tear up and get goosebumps. I feel so blessed to be a part of it. The magic that so many people don't believe in I am witnessing. I know that princess' and pirates exist, and Tinkerbell does fly and that Disney magic makes this scary world just a little bit less scary.

minnie-mouse
05-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Definitely the view down Main Street, the buildings, the castle. Reminds me of my father who loved Disney World and took us there many times as young children. It reminds me of being a young girl and being so excited to see everything. Truly magical. I still get misty eyed when I first enter MK, many years later the magic is still there.

mickeyfan2001
05-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Wishes :fworks: always makes me cry. Between the fireworks and hearing the children sing, it does it to me every time. Also seeing my son's eye light up as soon as he knows we are in the World. My next trip is sure to be an emotional one for me as it will be my first trip with my sister :dance:. We never were able to go as kids and now all grown up we will finally get to do it. We are both emotional and this is just sure to be a trip the will stick in our memories for ever. We can't wait.

Tinksalot
05-29-2008, 11:43 AM
I see "Wishes Fireworks" over the castle.
It actually brings tears to my eyes.
:fworks:

Marceline
05-29-2008, 11:49 AM
I get emotional all over the place at MK, there I am just a giant ball of dribbling joy.

I get a flood of nostalgia by sheer smell alot of the time. Aren't the olfactory senses great that way?
Ya know that musty, floral Florida smell that permeates WDW....particularly strong in Frontierland........*breathes deep* AHHHHHHH
LOVE that smell!!!! Wish I could bottle it.

RAIDER
05-29-2008, 12:05 PM
For me its being at MK on the last day knowing that i will be heading back to the UK and i wont be back to Florida for another year ..... especially when heading back on the ferry :beer::beer::beer::mickey:

Momof2boys
05-29-2008, 02:18 PM
- One memory that really sticks out to me is a few years back after Wishes, we were in Fantasyland and they were playing "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" and it wasn't until one of my sons asked me why I was crying that I realized I had tears running down my cheeks.

- Two years ago me & the boys had our picture taken by Cinderella's coach and my (then 5 year old) son said he'd by my prince forever. Even DH got choked up on that one.

- I always cry when we're walking out of our last park on our last day.

- I always have a sense of wonder on our arrival day as we explore the resort.

oliver&bianca
05-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Definetly the first signt of the Castle, and without a doubt the sight of the Castle at night when it changes from one beautiful color to another. There is nothing better. I always describe the sights of MG as eye candy. LUV IT, LUV IT.:mickey:

oliver&bianca
05-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Definetly the first sight of the Castle, and without a doubt the sight of the Castle at night when it changes from one beautiful color to another. There is nothing better. I always describe the sights of MG as eye candy. LUV IT, LUV IT.:mickey: